• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Oh wow, the Ixion Saga DT OP has some of the dirtiest lyrics I've seen in an OP song. Someone on animesuki has helpfully provided a translation, with the lines on the left being the lyrics as they're interpreted by the written karaoke text and the lines on the right the innuendo-laden actual sung lyrics.

Man, all this just from a pun on "DT". How long before companies commissioning promotional anime from Brains Base realize that they're wishing on a monkey's paw?

Kazzy

Magi - 1

tymJN.jpg

This moment reminded me of this song.

It was decent, and the only thing I didn't really like was Aladdin, the creepy little weirdo. But that's okay because Alibaba is the lead (isn't he?), and on first impressions, he seems like a cool protagonist. I'm digging the whole aesthetic too, although when you start to consider the setting, the music is really jarring. I think It was mainly the ED, but I think there was another spot where it felt really conspicuous, maybe.

I might have to read a little of the Manga and see how it develops, because I like all the underlying ideas, particularly the dungeons. I don't want to be burnt expecting one thing, only to get another. Will definitely give it a couple of episodes to settle in, though.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Teekyuu 01:

I did this for you, /XX/.

Sadly, it's unwatchable because everyonetalksatamileaminutebecausetheyretryingtocramseveralminutesofmaterialintoatwominuteshortandsoeveryonetalksfasterthanitsevenpossibletoreadthesubtitlesandconsequentlyhtereszerocomictimingforanythingthatsactuallysupposedtobefunnyohfuckwhydidthishavetohappentomappaimeankidsontheslopebombedandallbutthisfateisjusttoocruelcanttheyjustmakethoseplutoovasanddiewithdignitywhothehellwantstoseeshortsaboutmoetennisgirlsanywayespeciallywhenthedialogueandartaresoterriblebutthenagainimprobablyjustunderestimatingthetotalpassivityofotakufeedingfromthemoetroughmanthiswasterribledropped

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Magi - 1

It was decent, and the only thing I didn't really like was Aladdin, the creepy little weirdo. But that's okay because Alibaba is the lead (isn't he?), and on first impressions, he seems like a cool protagonist. I'm digging the whole aesthetic too, although when you start to consider the setting, the music is really jarring. I think It was mainly the ED, but I think there was another spot where it felt really conspicuous, maybe.

I might have to read a little of the Manga and see how it develops, because I like all the underlying ideas, particularly the dungeons. I don't want to be burnt expecting one thing, only to get another. Will definitely give it a couple of episodes to settle in, though.

Aladdin is ostensibly the figure-head for the series, but Ali Baba receives far more character development is a much better character all around than Aladdin. The manga does a good job of balancing out who gets the spot-light between Aladdin, Ali Baba, and Mor (and now Sinbad&co), and the Balbadd arc (the biggest arc in the series so far, and the one the anime will encompass) is all about Ali Baba, fortunately.

Joe Molotov

Teekyuu 01:

Sadly, it's unwatchable because everyonetalksatamileaminutebecausetheyretryingtocramseveralminutesofmaterialintoatwominuteshortandsoeveryonetalksfasterthanitsevenpossibletoreadthesubtitlesandconsequentlyhtereszerocomictimingforanythingthatsactuallysupposedtobefunnyohfuckwhydidthishavetohappentomappaimeankidsontheslopebombedandallbutthisfateisjusttoocruelcanttheyjustmakethoseplutoovasanddiewithdignitywhothehellwantstoseeshortsaboutmoetennisgirlsanywayespeciallywhenthedialogueandartaresoterriblebutthenagainimprobablyjustunderestimatingthetotalpassivityofotakufeedingfromthemoetroughmanthiswasterribledropped

image.php

I actually went ahead and read that, Mad Pierrot!

image.php

Kazzy

Aladdin is ostensibly the figure-head for the series, but Ali Baba receives far more character development is a much better character all around than Aladdin..

Good to know, sounds like Aladdin is a necessary evil. Maybe he does come good, but I can't shake the feeling that he was designed by committee.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I've been had! I walked right into that.

Good to know, sounds like Aladdin is a necessary evil. Maybe he does come good, but I can't shake the feeling that he was designed by committee.

He feels more like a convenient plot device than a character, really. Especially once you learn *later manga spoilers*
what the purpose of the Magi really is.

Taking that into account, the way the characters are handled is actually done quite well, once the mangaka got past the shaky start.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
30 seconds into Sukitte ii ya no:

So is
having a traumatic memory regarding the death of the class rabbit
an actual shoujo trope or something? Talk about coincidence.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
30 seconds into Sukitte ii ya no:

So is
having a traumatic memory regarding the death of the class rabbit
an actual shoujo trope or something? Talk about coincidence.

I wouldn't say it's particularly common, but I've seen it in a number of different series. It's an easy way to wrap up a flashback with a little extra punch in it.

I still need to watch Sukitte to complete all my shoujo watchings D:

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Wait, shota? The chest bindings made me think that character is a girl.

(Waiting for Crunchryroll delaycasts is suffering.)

Yeah, the author did originally intend for Aladdin to be a girl, but the higher ups intervened.
I'm still hoping that Aladdin will be revealed to actually be a girl at some point. >.>

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Alphonse is superfluous too then?

Nah, alphonse actually develops as a character and has a personality beyond "boobs".

Not to say Aladdin is entirely soulless,
the arc with the old chieftess was quite touching
, but Al is far more interesting as a character than Aladdin.

/XX/

tekyu is clearly being made in a cupboard by itagaki's north korean immigrant sweatshop to save budget for this
what a waste of perfectly good north koreans :(
What makes you think he isn't doing it all by himself? Really:

作画を語るスレ2977 - READ2CH said:
脚本・絵コンテ・キャラクターデザイン・音響監督・監督:板垣伸
演出・作画:板垣伸
原画・動画:板垣伸
http://read2ch.com/r/asaloon/1349535500/

Script, storyboard, character design, sound director, director, animation director, key animation & in-between animation... being him the sole person responsible of this latest two.

Yeah, it is that amazing! Uh... I mean... sorry!

I can't avoid being a sucker for rapid-fire, absurd humor like this. And I love the expressiveness of Mr. Itagaki's animation on it!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Right. Both characters come off as merely okay thus far.

Now, if they really want me to hate one of the mains, they would further identify Ali Baba like Coby from One Piece (as cosmic raised earlier).

That would be a nightmare.

Ali Baba is nothing like Coby from One Piece. He's not really like Luffy, either. Really, I still think the FMA comparison would be the best on to apply here, Ali Baba has more in common with the Elric brothers than he does One Piece characters.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sukitte ii ya no 01:

ahahahaha, this is the most unrealistic of the three shoujo this season, and one of those other two has a youkai love interest. Yes,
a quiet, bullied girl catching the eye of the most popular guy in school
has a lower probability than the existence of supernatural monsters.

I like Mei, and I look forward to the eventuality of the bitchy girls getting friendzoned by Mister Perfect and losing their shit over it, so even if everything about the premise is laughable, I'll probably continue to watch this. It's paperback romance in anime form, and that's okay every now and again.

fertygo

I don't say he's good character or something but I dunno what so offensive about him.

Because

1. He's very similar to many chara, common archetype in shounen really. Those guy is super bad too if that's the case.
2. He not screaming all the time.
3. His dynamic bring other character's best.

If he acted like a magical girl mascot character in the first ep, I'd say yes to that too.
Too bad if that's bad for you then.

That what make him likable for me, He's funny and also make other chara funny. That's example of good lead for me.

Jarmel

Banned
Nah, alphonse actually develops as a character and has a personality beyond "boobs".

Not to say Aladdin is entirely soulless,
the arc with the old chieftess was quite touching
, but Al is far more interesting as a character than Aladdin.

Jesus, you guys are making it seem like Aladdin is a meat sack that trails the awesomeness that is Ali.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I don't say he's good character or something but I dunno what so offensive about him.

Ah, I haven't said I disliked his role; it's just that Ali Baba feels far more complete than he does, which makes Ali Baba more interesting to me. You mentioned how he helps draw out the other character's good points, and that's what I've been saying as well: his role is different than Ali Baba's or Mor's or Sinbad's or anyone else's, but it does come at a cost.

Kagami

Well the word that he used have mean in general as "I'll mess you up/you f***ed"

No it doesn't.

The culture shock is so strong on this one, people are trying to convince themselves he said something else, lol.

There are limited contexts under which 犯す should be translated as "fuck" rather than "rape," but this isn't one of them (and even if you did translate it as "fuck" here, it would still be the same threat).
Now, obviously he said it pretty thoughtlessly, like he was quoting a bad guy in a movie or something, so no, he wasn't serious. But the translation by CR is 100% accurate. There's no nuance problem.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Jesus, you guys are making it seem like Aladdin is a meat sack that trails the awesomeness that is Ali.

In terms of character, yes. However, Magi also has plenty of fighting, which gives Aladdin a chance to shine as well. Really, the author did manage to find a nice balance (like I've been saying - I've just been focusing on Ali Baba's strengths for right now, due to the events the first episode covered) between the character's strengths and weaknesses.

Narag

In terms of character, yes. However, Magi also has plenty of fighting, which gives Aladdin a chance to shine as well. Really, the author did manage to find a nice balance (like I've been saying - I've just been focusing on Ali Baba's strengths for right now, due to the events the first episode covered) between the character's strengths and weaknesses.

Strong complementary ensemble sounds appealing.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Strong complementary ensemble sounds appealing.

Yup! The manga does get really good, which is partly why there was so much hype at first for the anime; I think some people forgot that the beginning, before the author really found that balance, wasn't so good. So yeah, I'm still excited for the anime, even if it does cut and compress early portions of the manga. So long as they leave the really crucial arcs intact, like
Mor's backstory, Balbadd, the Princess's introduction,
it'll still be a very good show.

BluWacky

No it doesn't.

The culture shock is so strong on this one, people are trying to convince themselves he said something else, lol.

There are limited contexts under which 犯す should be translated as "fuck" rather than "rape," but this isn't one of them (and even if you did translate it as "fuck" here, it would still be the same threat).
Now, obviously he said it pretty thoughtlessly, like he was quoting a bad guy in a movie or something, so no, he wasn't serious. But the translation by CR is 100% accurate. There's no nuance problem.

Thanks for taking the time to check this one, much appreciated.

Of course I get that it's probably not such a big deal in Japan - particularly given the country's different outlook on women's rights etc.. I suspect that, even in the West, a rape joke isn't "such a big deal" to people not steeped in internet feminism or reading certain newspapers (lord knows the onling gaming community have no problem with it...) I'm not even suggesting it wasn't in the least bit funny - it's just a bit extreme, is all.

fertygo

Ah, I haven't said I disliked his role; it's just that Ali Baba feels far more complete than he does, which makes Ali Baba more interesting to me. You mentioned how he helps draw out the other character's good points, and that's what I've been saying as well: his role is different than Ali Baba's or Mor's or Sinbad's or anyone else's, but it does come at a cost.

Well its not directed to you, my point is he bring the best of the cast.. how lead like that is bad.

Its ok if Alibaba is more like the true protag, maybe he truly is n gonna be the one that kill the final boss or something.

But there is no doubt Author build the series foundation around Alladin, and doing great job at it.. Thus you can't playing down Alladin's importances.

Kagami

I'm sure someone explained it to me before, but why is Saki so popular in SaiMoe? Is it just the number of girls there are to vote for? Is it trolling?
I get the impression that VA fans are a big influence on SaiMoe.
Ogura Yui characters have done well (Toki in this case, also Hinata from RKB.)

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
@Kagami
Well that's what I'm saying.

He doesn't say that literally but the context is right.

Well its not directed to you, my point is he bring the best of the cast.. how lead like that is bad.

Its ok if Alibaba is more like the true protag, maybe he truly is n gonna be the one that kill the final boss or something.

But there is no doubt Author build the series foundation around Alladin, and doing great job at it.. Thus you can't playing down Alladin's importances.
I understand what you're saying, and I don't really disagree with you. I'm just saying that Aladdin's importance is due to the fact he's a plot device, or catalyst if you prefer, not because he's an inherently interesting character. Now, due to the mysteries surrounding him, that might interest some people, but that isn't his own character that's intriguing. Meanwhile, Ali Babi is (or rapidly becomes) an inherently interesting character; he's not interesting simply because he's mysterious.

I hope you understand what I mean; I'm not trying to disparage Aladdin's role, but Ali Baba's strengths do lend him to being a more relatable protagonist, and that becomes apparent as his role in the series develops. The Balbadd arc simply wouldn't work if Aladdin was the main character in it, as opposed to Ali Baba. I do sound vague, but that's because I'm trying to avoid mentioned specific moments in the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom