• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

No way man, Aladdin sounds like a girl man. Even Bart Simpson sounds more like a boy than Aladdin. lol
I'm willing to close one eye considering Kaori Ishihara is still new to the industry and this is her first young boy role. Besides she is the voice of Kanna.

cajunator

Banned
By the way, Wonzo, I cant quote your post on mobile but tbanks for the episode summaries of Sengoku Collection.
This way I can choose the measure and type of pain to endure watching the show.

Kingdom 19
tumblr_mblninP3C11qbxqfpo1_500.png

Xin ought to get some commendation or become a commander or something after this that was just awesome, and Qiang Li, he better get one too. Numerous shocking moments
Qiang Li swinging the sword after Wei Ping? tripped, and then their leading general still running even after having an arrow in the chest, and then even Qiang Li decimating foes with dance, and best of all Xin's awesome jumping ability

I kind of wish we could see with Sei and Diao are doing .

Cwarrior

Forget Aladdin I can live with him...or her I can pretend it's her even if the va sucks, it's the alibaba in this I can't listen to, oh god such a generic voice it's like they blanded him up so viewers can relate to him, as matter of fact non of the character feel as energetic and charming as they are in the manga.

Alibaba do look like average Joe though.

I can agree on alibaba character design has always been shit but his character didn't get it the way fo my enjoyment.

Maybe it's because Kaori Ishihara and Yuki Kaji have been in so many things this year, but the voices in Magi didn't bother me at all beyond a "oh, she/he is in yet another show" reaction.

remz

Forget Aladdin I can live with him...or her I can pretend it's her even if the va sucks, it's the alibaba in this I can't listen to, oh god such a generic voice it's like they blanded him up so viewers can relate to him, as matter of fact non of the character feel as energetic and charming as they are in the manga.

Alibaba as a character kind of got better/way more interesting as the manga went on, so I'm hoping the same goes for the anime as well.

Nafe

Finally caught up! I last posted WAAAY back on page 150 at the start of the weekend and then by the end of the weekend the thread was on about page 190 or so for me. That's like 40+ pages in just two days! The thread is now on page 203 for 50ppp...

I need a rest now...

QC1bT.gif

OceanBlue

Others are iffy because they have read the manga. If the show is more than 2 cours then changes wouldn't have been made I guess.
Eh, I read the manga (admittedly after watching the first episode) and it feels like people exaggerate how much more "interesting" or "energetic" the characters were in the first 2-4 chapters of the manga. It seems that way from my perspective, anyway. I think the anime is doing well enough.

Branduil

A personal favorite of mine. A wonderful character study of a broken man with a brilliant performance by Daniel Day-Lewis. If your even vaguely a cinephile, it's a must watch.

He's pretty amazing, but the script is decidedly mediocre. No Country for Old Men was definitely the better film that year.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Don't take it personally. Some people in here really don't like it when opinions don't match with theirs.

I thought that stuff was incredibly poor in Penguindrum. When you're doing shots with random background characters they really should never stick out unless there is a reason for them to stick out. What Penguindrum did had the completely opposite effect it was probably going for. Dezaki did the same thing, it was terrible then and its still terrible now.
I don't have a problem with opinions, it's the facts. You acknowledge the Dezaki influence and realize that it wasn't cheap, rather something Ikuhara does stylistically, and he'd probably do it regardless of the budget he had, right? So it's not exactly cheap then. We're all good. I don't mind if you think it looks bad or not. I could see a point being made against the SD art in KnT/etc for being jarring, but I doubt they're there because the artists were lazy. Personally I dislike frequent visual gags but I'll be fine with them if they're done right. The worst example of them done wrong is in shows like Bakemonogatari or Nisemonogatari (based off the gifs of Nise, did not watch) where there's random visual gags without rhyme or reason with different artstyles and gag types each time and it just comes off as really slapdash and visually incoherent.

The problem here is, of course, when people like Firemind are wrong or trolling and like to spin in circles instead of admitting their mistakes.
It's okay. Don't ever talk animation with Pizzaroll. He'll blast you and say he's never wrong. It was my first rage moment in AnimeGAF. Just avoid it.
But I apologized to you and offered to help you understand more about animation and why I (and just about everybody else was in disbelief at your posts too) reacted the way I did!
Pizzaroll sometimes issues forth a big ball of WRONG so its best to just nod your head and move on.
He is right sometimes of course. Sometimes.
Sometimes I think this thread really deserves the astoundingly low signal to noise ratio it has thanks to posts like this.

Uchip

Banned
I can agree on alibaba character design has always been shit but his character didn't get it the way fo my enjoyment.

well
most anime tends to look like a homogenous gaggle of genetically perfect pretty people
One Piece has the best character differentiation for a battle shounen, having characters like usopp, franky and chopper in the main cast

firehawk12

Subete no aware
its not so much that its a girly voice
but they sound like an older girl, not a kid
Yep. I had the same problem with Ed in the Cantonese dub of FMA:B. Although that one sounded worse because she sounded like a middle-age Chinese woman.

I'm not saying Aladdin doesn't sound like a girl. Aladdin definitely sounds like a girl, and so does every other young boy not played by 15 year old voice actors. I didn't think that it would be surprising for Aladdin to sound like a girl.
There are examples of people who, if they don't sound like boys, at least don't sound like girls. Kobayashi in Ginga is an example someone already brought up.

Dude if there was an entire meal devoted to the Double Down we'd all be dead.
Isn't that standard for all Americans though?

Who will be the Captain Rainbow to go snooping for naughty things in Toucan Sam's sheets?
That Tiger always looked funny to me...

Different era!

Shame Tsubomi x Coppe in Heartcatch would have been incest.
Girls like boys, regardless of the decade!

I'm willing to close one eye considering Kaori Ishihara is still new to the industry and this is her first young boy role. Besides she is the voice of Kanna.
So Aladdin will
get horribly friendzoned and then cry delicious tears?
Great!

Finally caught up! I last posted WAAAY back on page 150 at the start of the weekend and then by the end of the weekend the thread was on about page 190 or so for me. That's like 40+ pages in just two days! The thread is now on page 203 for 50ppp...

I need a rest now...

http://i.imgur.com/QC1bT.gif
lol

Just hit the last page button!

Firemind

The problem here is, of course, when people like Firemind are wrong or trolling and like to spin in circles instead of admitting their mistakes.

How do you know they weren't being lazy? Are you one of the artists Brains Base hired?

For the record, I never implied it looked cheap. I said it looked jarring, which is an opinion. So kindly get off my back.

SMILE PRECURE 30 & 31
Since i've just seen joker finally back with some lines i was expecting ..something ..
because let's face it smile precure is very average ( even by magical girl show standards ) without joker ...

BUT

BUT

Dammit if this isn't lazy writing ...first after an ep 30 where they ignored all the rules they themselves set in the start of the show
AFter the akanbe , the super akanbe ....i get ...

an HYPER AKANBE ?

Screw this ... i'm glad i'm catching up actually ..because this is ridiculous .. Even with joker that was the most intresting ennemy since dark precure ... smile precure will never rise to the level of splash star or heartcatch because of things like this ...

Dammit

Even more revolting is that the resulted to copy even almost word to word to the same jokes as ep 6

OceanBlue

There are examples of people who, if they don't sound like boys, at least don't sound like girls. Kobayashi in Ginga is an example someone already brought up.
There are, but there are also plenty of examples of the opposite. It was definitely a stretch to say that all young boys not named Ao sound like girls though. Like I said before, I'm just surprised that other people are surprised about this, especially for a character like Aladdin.

Did you mean elusive?
Maybe he means that, by then, discussion will be SAO exclusive. :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You pretend like you don't know! Aren't there KFCs up there in our hat?
They cancelled the Double Down here. lol
Nah man, this is the age of purity!
Pfff. Lies parents tell themselves!

There are, but there are also plenty of examples of the opposite. It was definitely a stretch to say that all young boys not named Ao sound like girls though. Like I said before, I'm just surprised that other people are surprised about this, especially for a character like Aladdin.
The problem is that her voice just sticks out like a sore thumb.

Risette

A Good Citizen
How do you know they weren't being lazy? Are you one of the artists Brains Base hired?

For the record, I never implied it looked cheap. I said it looked jarring, which is an opinion. So kindly get off my back.
I said I doubt it was just them being lazy. I never claimed to know. Of course, you wouldn't have been able to write down that clever "u work for brain base!?!" thing you did there without shuffling that around. Nor did I say that you implied it looked cheap, I said you implied it looked lazy. I also acknowledged your opinion, that it could be seen as jarring, so naturally, I am off your back. I was never there. All of these things are covered in the same single line in my previous post:
I could see a point being made against the SD art in KnT/etc for being jarring, but I doubt they're there because the artists were lazy.
As you can see, a) doubt, not know b) lazy, not cheap c) recognition of your opinion

And just as a refresher so you don't try to say that you didn't imply that it looked lazy either:
Kimi ni Todoke did something similar with the chibi art. I can only imagine the artist got lazy, drew a couple of circles and called it a night.
By stating that you imagine that the artist got lazy going off of how it looks, you are indeed implying that it looks lazy.

Firemind

Wow, talk about pedantic. You said I was wrong, so prove me wrong. You can't? Oh.

Face it. You had no idea what I was alluding to, tried to start a discussion about a show you did not watch, it blew up in your face and now you're backpedaling.

SMILE PRECURE 31
It's almost ugly how "joker" get my hopes up each time he is on screen ... the only reason he loses he because of the "plot" armor of the heroines ...

You've won Toei , i'll watch smile precure untill the end ( or at least untill joker stay dead permanently )

Joker should be the vilain in every magical girl show ... even in nanoha he would be able to make things even more intresting..

Joker VILAIN FOR LIFE

My Little Monster 2 (Tonari no Kaibutsu Kun)
tumblr_mblo6bvsUF1rcmvoeo1_500.gif

Episode had its moments though was kind of a struggle to get through. I guess this is kind of an episode that reminded me of why I could never and wouldnt ever get into these type of romance stories. The ones that I do read often have more intriguing and better main characters and friends. I just cant get behind Shizuku at all, and she just bores me to be honest. Worst the character introduced was far from cute, contrary to her beliefs ,and has such a dull personality. I dont know, really couldn't care for either of them.

Anyway Haru gave an excellent moment and awesome line right from the start that made me smile and stuff "Everything tastes good when Im with you". I always like these kind of lines, my favorite type of romance characters always shoot these lines out.

Sasahara is amazing and needs way more screentime, and I think he sounds at times like Yuki from Tsuritama, if Im remembering the voice right.

Lain

Say I Love You 1

Pretty nice, apart from the character's art, which does no justice at all to the original work. I'd even go as far to say that it undermines the anime's potential because I don't really see it lending itself to accurately portray the awkwardness of certain situations as well as certain facial expressions.
Still for a start it was good so I'm happy. For now anyways.

wonzo

Banned
Smile PreCure! 34

Yeah, I don't really think one kid's gonna be the ruin of a cultural festival but I'll give her and her prekrew some bonus points for trying hard to reach a compromise that makes everyone happy. Next week's episode is gonna own bigtime and the movie kinda reminds me of that 3DS (or psp i cant remember) game.

All I really got from this is that I should watch every single episode of Sengoku Collection. Thanks for clearing that up, wonzo.
i aim to please

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Magi - 01

iC8us.png

Mor be sprinting like a champ.

Not bad. Looking forward to the next episode.

Aladdin cheesing it up
in that bar/brothel(?) with them ladies
had me rolling.

duckroll

Wow, talk about pedantic. You said I was wrong, so prove me wrong. You can't? Oh.

Face it. You had no idea what I was alluding to, tried to start a discussion about a show you did not watch, it blew up in your face and now you're backpedaling.

Nothing about My Little Monster feels lazy or cheap though. I can understand not liking aspects of a show, but it's literally one of the shows this season so far with the highest production values.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom