• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
GITS wasn't even a 'mega hit', as far as I am aware, it just did quite well.

That's actually really hard to prove in the West anyway as nobody releases jackshit in regards to overall sales number(or atleast as far as I'm aware).

I'd ask you to further explain what you mean by "relatively huge". TV ratings? Disc sales? Visibility and popularity inside the anime fan community? Visibility and popularity outside the anime fan community?

Nielsen ratings for the first season seemed to be decent although it quickly fell in the second season. I also don't have access to disc sales anywhere.

Edit: Sorry was in a hurry. Anyway I would just say visibility inside and outside the anime community. Granted it's very anecdoctal.

jman2050

The only anime I'd call a mega-hit in the west is Naruto, Bleach, Cowboy Bebop (Launched sept 2001, aired every week through 2005, then 2007 to present. It's the goddamned Cosby Show of anime, everyone loves it, and they will never stop showing it)
Pokemon and Digimon if you wanna go back farther

DBZ?

The only anime I'd call a mega-hit in the west is Naruto, Bleach, Cowboy Bebop (Launched sept 2001, aired every week through 2005, then 2007 to present. It's the goddamned Cosby Show of anime, everyone loves it, and they will never stop showing it)

Bebop did it's job in getting me into anime, so I can understand that sentiment.

yami4ct

DBZ and Gundam Wing were also mega hits in their days. Yu-Gi-Oh could be counted as well.

If you want to talk comparative to the time, Akira and possibly Ninja Scroll were some of the biggest anime of the era.

Also, Cowboy Bebop is my favorite show of all time. It deserves getting aired constantly for all eternity. Amazing characters and pacing that doesn't stick around too long and wear out its welcome.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Sailor Moon is the best selling manga today. One of the biggest franchises in the west and yet one where the anime itself was completely bungled.

Tragic.

yami4ct

No it's cause they just read them online like the dirty pirates they are.

A lot of that is due to how badly Viz bungled Shonen Jump in the west. They've still screwed it up with their online stuff. Until they can get issues day and date for a very cheap monthly fee, a few bucks at most, or ad-supported they aren't going to curb manga piracy at all.

This may give me some motivation to watch the show now.

Oh, she still gets everything she wants with no consequences. Maybe the author realizes she's popular and doesn't want bad things to happen to her or no paycheck. Or maybe he's just building her up to knock her down at the end. The guy has apparently been trolling for a while, so we'll see.

Narag

Oh, she still gets everything she wants with no consequences. Maybe the author realizes she's popular and doesn't want bad things to happen to her or no paycheck. Or maybe he's just building her up to knock her down at the end. The guy has apparently been trolling for a while, so we'll see.

Didn't he get attacked or something by a crazed Kirino fan? He knows his place now.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

The author said something like he hopes to eventually like Kirino and then that'd probably be where the series ends or something IIRC. So perhaps she'll be likeable by book 12, 'cause that'll be the last.

Didn't he get attacked or something by a crazed Kirino fan? He knows his place now.

Was it a Kirino fan? I thought it was a Kuroneko fan? I don't remember too well.

Has he always hated her? Is he just tsundere?
The author said something like he hopes to eventually like Kirino and then that'd probably be where the series ends or something IIRC. So perhaps she'll be likeable by book 12, 'cause that'll be the last.
Interesting.

Morris

Disco Devil
Sailor Moon S 92

GJrAz.gif

This episode was supposed to be about Haruka but all I saw was Minako showing off and being the best sailor. Minako + Usagi is the best combo EVER.

yami4ct

Too bad Sunrise had to go on and drop the ball bigtime.

Yep. It wasn't all their fault, though. CN's treatment of the dubs of MSG and SEED really drove the nail into the coffin. It was Bandai's fault in the end. If I remember correctly, and this is only half remembering, they got in a dispute with WalMart during the G Gundam line that caused them to drop the Gundam SEED line. Basically, this killed toy sales and series visibility. If they could get that merchandise on shelves, I wouldn't doubt Gundam could be a hit again. Kids love giant robots.

Soma

Oh

Well

That's unfortunate. :(

There was a PV for that Majestic Prince Space Robot anime, I think someone mentioned as of late, I think the anime looks really cool and spectacular.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-10-09/majestic-prince-space-robot-anime-1st-promo-streamed

The story follows humanity after it expanded its frontier into space in a quest for resources. Advances in genetic engineering research allow humans to adapt to the new frontier, leading to the advent of evolved children such as the protagonist Izuru. Izuru enrolls in an academy city called Gurantseere to fulfill his mission of "protecting humanity."

Director: Keitaro Motonaga (Katanagatari, Jormungand)
Character Designer: Hisashi Hirai (Mobile Suit Gundam Seed franchise)
Series Script Editor/Script: Reiko Yoshida (K-ON! franchise)
Production: Dogakobo/Orange

looks not bad, although the story sounds a little generic.

Yep. It wasn't all their fault, though. CN's treatment of the dubs of MSG and SEED really drove the nail into the coffin. It was Bandai's fault in the end. If I remember correctly, and this is only half remembering, they got in a dispute with WalMart during the G Gundam line that caused them to drop the Gundam SEED line. Basically, this killed toy sales and series visibility. If they could get that merchandise on shelves, I wouldn't doubt Gundam could be a hit again. Kids love giant robots.

I'm a little vague on the specifics myself, but yeah the whole thing ended up being mismanaged badly. Would be nice to see a resurgence in the west but it will probably never happen especially with the way Sunrise is now.

One Piece 48

Wow, that's a terrible OP. More nice worldbuilding with some more info about the Grand Line to keep me interested. I do like how more legendary pirates are built up appropriately too such as Gol D. Roger's backstory here or to a lesser extent,
legendary swordsman Dracule Mihawk knocking back drinks with Shanks a few eps back.
It's one thing for Luffy to idolize either, something else to see there's some substance to it all. That sort of hero worship is probably the most appealing thing about Luffy.

Well, at least you can skip it for the next 60ish episodes. Definitely the one that overstayed its welcome the most with the possible exception of the current one.

yami4ct

I'm a little vague on the specifics myself, but yeah the whole thing ended up being mismanaged badly. Would be nice to see a resurgence in the west but it will probably never happen especially with the way Sunrise is now.

00 was their attempt to garner fans in the west, and it did that job sort of well. It's a much more visible niche now than it was, but it's clear they just want to cater to japan now. I understand that. Honestly, as long as they keep putting out UC era stuff and the occasional good alternate universe show, I'm pretty happy.

00 was their attempt to garner fans in the west, and it did that job sort of well. It's a much more visible niche now than it was, but it's clear they just want to cater to japan now. I understand that. Honestly, as long as they keep putting out UC era stuff and the occasional good alternate universe show, I'm pretty happy.

Agreed, though hopefully someday we'll get that good AU :/.

yami4ct

Now that Naruto and Bleach are both at their tail ends of popularity and story, I'm interested to see what the next big series among kids is. Out of the stuff that's around right now, I can't really see what would hit. You never really know until it happens, though, so we'll see. Should be pretty interesting.

Jex

That's actually really hard to prove in the West anyway as nobody releases jackshit in regards to overall sales number(or atleast as far as I'm aware).
Well, more like companies don't want to to hide their sales numbers and the few websites that report on them are complicit in this.[/QUOTE]
Nielsen ratings for the first season seemed to be decent although it quickly fell in the second season. I also don't have access to disc sales anywhere.

Edit: Sorry was in a hurry. Anyway I would just say visibility inside and outside the anime community. Granted it's very anecdoctal.

Here's some hard figures - I doubt Psycho Pass will anywhere near on homevideo in America what Ovefiend sold in the UK. I think of massive successes as things like DragonBall Z, Gundam Wing and Pokemon - shows that are witnessed by a whole generation.

Kurita

Now that Naruto and Bleach are both at their tail ends of popularity and story, I'm interested to see what the next big series among kids is. Out of the stuff that's around right now, I can't really see what would hit. You never really know until it happens, though, so we'll see. Should be pretty interesting.

Toriko will take Bleach's spot I think. (I'm talking about the manga though)

Metrotab

Banned
Kanon 4

I hope the entire cast is introduced now.

I have played two routes of the VN (Makoto's and Shiori's). I don't have much experience with the anime (only seen the first episode and a making-of) but I hope you enjoy the winter visuals and mood. Amazing soundtrack too.

EDIT: Oh, and you're watching KyoAni's right? I heard the Toei adaptation was horrible.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tanken Driland - 08
But I'm glad this is two cour, good news, I guess countdown.mandragon.info isn't correct about everything.
Huh, is that confirmed? So I guess we'll never see the end of this then. :p

---

You know, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo has put Chuu2 in a new light in terms of depicting the socially awkward/unaware female character. Whereas that character is usually some kind of fetish (allowing the guy to take care of a helpless girl), I'm hoping that Chuu2 does something different or at least genuine with that idea. Given that it's a KyoAni joint, I'm willing to believe in the show and give them the benefit of the doubt.

yami4ct

Well, more like companies don't want to to hide their sales numbers and the few websites that report on them are complicit in this.

Here's some hard figures - I doubt Psycho Pass will anywhere near on homevideo in America what Ovefiend sold in the UK. I think of massive successes as things like DragonBall Z, Gundam Wing and Pokemon - shows that are witnessed by a whole generation.

I don't think any show has a chance to do that anymore. Kids just have more options. More TV shows, games, internet, etc. I don't think any show, American or anime, can capture that much mindshare.

Jex

I don't think any show has a chance to do that anymore. Kids just have more options. More TV shows, games, internet, etc. I don't think any show, American or anime, can capture that much mindshare.

Right, and I don't think there's anything weird about that, it's just how the world has changed. Such past successes are now (nearly) impossible to emulate.

yami4ct

Right, and I don't think there's anything weird about that, it's just how the world has changed. Such past successes are now (nearly) impossible to emulate.

As long as companies aren't planning budgets chasing that white whale and people don't have expectations of ratings like that, I think it's fine as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom