• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

Tonight's only premiere is the second season of Jormungand, which Funimation is delaycasting.

Tomorrow is just Medaka season 2, which is a Crunchyroll delaycast.

My excitement for Thursday has been tempered by the Funimation streaming announcements of both noitaminA shows, Robotics;Notes and Psycho-Pass . While I'm thrilled they've been picked up, I'm in the UK so I probably can't watch them.

(they've also picked up Kami-sama, Code Breaker and OniAi)

There was a PV for that Majestic Prince Space Robot anime, I think someone mentioned as of late, I think the anime looks really cool and spectacular.

Thanks for the link (which I've lost because, as usual, I fail to use the quote function properly).

The CG looks pretty good by my standards; I'm not going to get hyped up about it as I have no idea about anything else.

It also doesn't help that I keep reading the title as Marginal Prince, which was a deathly dull series from 2006 that I'd rather not remember watching the first episode of.

Holy shit! LOL that's like something out of a bad 50s movie on how to be the perfect wife, but with tanks instead of cooking
and therefore infinitely more awesome.

The GuP world is a matriarchal society, though. A dream for all feminists.

mpc-hc2012-10-0913-08y7paa.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
I disagree. Most didn't know where it would go. People thought it could go either CR or Funi.

There was no way CR was going to get PP. This is the type of production that has the possibility of being mega huge in the West so of course it was going to default to Funi. I mean Funi got GC due to pre-release hype and this is up there as well. I have no clue why anyone would think CR would get this.

There was no way CR was going to get PP. This is the type of production that has the possibility of being mega huge in the West so of course it was going to default to Funi. I mean Funi got GC due to pre-release hype and this is up there as well. I have no clue why anyone would think CR would get this.

Dude, the anime boom is over. As much as its producers would like it to be, there's no way Psycho-Pass will be "mega huge" here.

cajunator

Banned
Just the other day, my sister asked me why all of my animes have girls on the covers. I wasn't sure how to respond without implicating myself.

It's fun, funny, and cute. Good enough for me.

Its very simple to answer.

"I like cute anime girls".

How easy this is to say however depends on if you have shame or not.

Jarmel

Banned
Dude, the anime boom is over. As much as its producers would like it to be, there's no way Psycho-Pass will be "mega huge" here.

The shows that have done well in the past here and have been rather mainstream hits are in general cyberpunk hits and in the vein of PP. Of all the shows for a rather long time, this if done well can really take off.

yami4ct

Ghost in the Shell:Stand Alone Complex did fairly well for Adult Swim when it aired. If this is good, and they got it on something like the new Toonami, I bet this could do just as well.

The shows that have done well in the past here and have been rather mainstream hits are in general cyberpunk hits and in the vein of PP. Of all the shows for a rather long time, this if done well can really take off.

Before I do anything else, I think I should ask you to define what exactly you mean by "mainstream hit".

Ghost in the Shell:Stand Alone Complex did fairly well for Adult Swim when it aired. If this is good, and they got it on something like the new Toonami, I bet this could do just as well.

I should point out here that the current Toonami has much less visibility than the old Toonami or Adult Swim and is operating on a shoestring budget. The situations are not the same.

Certainly Psycho-Pass is innately more appealing to Western audiences than the vast majority of anime being made, but I think we need to be realistic about current market conditions.

yami4ct

w
Before I do anything else, I think I should ask you to define what exactly you mean by "mainstream hit".

I should point out here that the current Toonami has much less visibility than the old Toonami or Adult Swim and is operating on a shoestring budget. The situations are not the same.

For now, but it's growing. By the time Psycho-Pass would come around for TV licensing, it'll probably be up to at least old [AS] era standards. It's going to take a year and a half or even two years for this thing to get finished, dubbed and TV licensed. I'm not saying this will be the savior of all Anime, but if the quality is there it's reasonable to assume it'd do at least as well as GITS:SAC.

fertygo

No offense for anyone in US, if for Manga (the industry)the situation in there already so bad. How could you expect Anime can fare better?

Jarmel

Banned

lol

I suppose the barometrics for mainstream hits or even what that means now, is very different compared to a decade ago. You are also right that the new Toonami is barely hanging on, I suppose I'll just quantify mainstream hit as something relatively huge in the West, comparable but not as popular as GITS.

yami4ct

lol

I suppose the barometrics for mainstream hits or even what that means now, is very different compared to a decade ago. You are also right that the new Toonami is barely hanging on, I suppose I'll just quantify mainstream hit as something relatively huge in the West, comparable but not as popular as GITS.

Was GITS really that mega a hit? The show, not the movie. I know the movie was huge, but I thought the show only did reasonably well.

BluWacky

Being British is suffering.

At least we
some of us, well, me I guess
get Wolf Children this week, and Blood-C/NeraGaku next week.

I am assuming that Funi just pays more than Crunchyroll, and asks for less in return. I'm not sad that it means that these shows will probably get nicer physical releases, but it's just sad that we're excluded again when Crunchyroll has been doing so well at getting UK rights (and Anime On Demand has picked the slack on a few other shows, even if this has been ruined by The Anime Network's incompetency with To Love-Ru).

Jex

lol

GITS wasn't even a 'mega hit', as far as I am aware, it just did quite well.

Narag

One Piece 48

Wow, that's a terrible OP. More nice worldbuilding with some more info about the Grand Line to keep me interested. I do like how more legendary pirates are built up appropriately too such as Gol D. Roger's backstory here or to a lesser extent,
legendary swordsman Dracule Mihawk knocking back drinks with Shanks a few eps back.
It's one thing for Luffy to idolize either, something else to see there's some substance to it all. That sort of hero worship is probably the most appealing thing about Luffy.

DiGiKerot

At least we
some of us, well, me I guess
get Wolf Children this week, and Blood-C/NeraGaku next week.

I'm getting increasingly psyched about NeraGaku :)

I am assuming that Funi just pays more than Crunchyroll, and asks for less in return. I'm not sad that it means that these shows will probably get nicer physical releases, but it's just sad that we're excluded again when Crunchyroll has been doing so well at getting UK rights (and Anime On Demand has picked the slack on a few other shows, even if this has been ruined by The Anime Network's incompetency with To Love-Ru).

Well, aside from simply paying more, I'd imagine for some of these shows Funi are throwing around physical-release money in addition to streaming monies, which no doubt makes it far more lucrative for the Japanese side than streaming monies alone.

Of course, the real problem comes if Funimation also picked up UK rights for these shows as well...

lol

Hopefully it does approach a GITS level of success at least.

lol

I'd ask you to further explain what you mean by "relatively huge". TV ratings? Disc sales? Visibility and popularity inside the anime fan community? Visibility and popularity outside the anime fan community?

The only anime I'd call a mega-hit in the west is Naruto, Bleach, Cowboy Bebop (Launched sept 2001, aired every week through 2005, then 2007 to present. It's the goddamned Cosby Show of anime, everyone loves it, and they will never stop showing it)
Pokemon and Digimon if you wanna go back farther

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom