• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandoric

Banned
00 was their attempt to garner fans in the west, and it did that job sort of well. It's a much more visible niche now than it was, but it's clear they just want to cater to japan now. I understand that. Honestly, as long as they keep putting out UC era stuff and the occasional good alternate universe show, I'm pretty happy.

Reminder: There is a whole wide world that isn't the west and also isn't Japan.

Go_Ly_Dow

jXwBj.png

Yosuga no Sora laughs @ this.

yami4ct

Reminder: There is a whole wide world that isn't the west and also isn't Japan.

Serious question, but does Gundam have any visibility outside of the west in Japan? I know it has some following in Asia, but I was under the impression it was pretty small. Bigger than the US, but still small

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Now that Naruto and Bleach are both at their tail ends of popularity and story, I'm interested to see what the next big series among kids is. Out of the stuff that's around right now, I can't really see what would hit. You never really know until it happens, though, so we'll see. Should be pretty interesting.

Incest-themed shounen is the future.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
http://www.rob.snookles.com/uploaded_images/AngelaAki-730124.jpg
Angela Aki-san wa needs to cosplay suru as Bayonetta ni dahyo
She already mou has the megane glasses des
I think I love you I think I do

She's gorgeous, and in a non-moé way.
Angela Aki is overrated.
man

so much wrong in so few words
This is pretty cool. Voice acting in space!
One more reason why Space Brothers is Anime of the Year 2012 of Our Lord.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Girls Und Panzer

First, I weep for Yoshida. You gotta eat, but this is basically the writing equivalent of prostitution. I assume she's not as soulless as Okada-bot anyway.

Second, is it me, or is the apolitical nature of the show just weird? In the same way that Leigh Alexander saying German uniforms are sexy or how every video game set in WW2 ignores the Holocaust, but taking something that's so iconic and associated with perhaps one of the greatest evils ever in the history of humanity and making it a toy for moe girls to play with is just... I dunno.

It'd be as if they made a show where moe girls pretended to be Confederate soldiers because... I dunno, some guy decided to write a manga about the American Civil War.

I also think re-enactments are kind of crazy too, because what kind of person do you have to be to want to dress up as a Nazi and fight Allied soldiers (or a Confederate who fights Union soldiers)?

(Of course, I'm the weirdo that refuses to watch Mad Men because apparently racism doesn't exist in that version of the American '50s, so it's probably just me. lol)

G, Turn-A, 00 Season 1 and the second part of Age were all pretty good and X had great suit designs. I'm just desperately hoping they get their ass in gear for whatever they do next.

I did mean good going forward after AGE...I think it's failure would serve as good motivation.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I also think re-enactments are kind of crazy too, because what kind of person do you have to be to want to dress up as a Nazi and fight Allied soldiers (or a Confederate who fights Union soldiers)?

Dude, half the country still vaunts southern values and speaks of the evils of the federal gub'mint 150 years after the end of the Civil War, lol. I was friends with several Civil War reenactors when I was younger, and they were all real-life Confederate sympathizers!

Hopefully it'll have CG dancing EDs.

The amazing thing about this post is that I know you're not being sarcastic.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is it worse than Mayo Chiki and Chu-Bra?
Yes and no!

Dude, half the country still vaunts southern values and speaks of the evils of the federal gub'mint 150 years after the end of the Civil War, lol. I was friends with several Civil War reenactors when I was younger, and they were all real-life Confederate sympathizers!
That's just weird man. lol

Wait, are you saying there is no racism in Mad Men? That's factually wrong.
I admit that I'm totally speaking out of ignorance here, largely based on what I know is the main cast of the show. lol

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Girls Und Panzer

First, I weep for Yoshida. You gotta eat, but this is basically the writing equivalent of prostitution. I assume she's not as soulless as Okada-bot anyway.

Second, is it me, or is the apolitical nature of the show just weird? In the same way that Leigh Alexander saying German uniforms are sexy or how every video game set in WW2 ignores the Holocaust, but taking something that's so iconic and associated with perhaps one of the greatest evils ever in the history of humanity and making it a toy for moe girls to play with is just... I dunno.

It'd be as if they made a show where moe girls pretended to be Confederate soldiers because... I dunno, some guy decided to write a manga about the American Civil War.

(Of course, I'm the weirdo that refuses to watch Mad Men because apparently racism doesn't exist in that version of the American '50s, so it's probably just me. lol)

But did you like it?

I have played two routes of the VN (Makoto's and Shiori's). I don't have much experience with the anime (only seen the first episode and a making-of) but I hope you enjoy the winter visuals and mood. Amazing soundtrack too.

EDIT: Oh, and you're watching KyoAni's right? I heard the Toei adaptation was horrible.

Yeah I love the winter setting, how's the VN? I'm watching KyoAni version indeed.

BluWacky

I admit that I'm totally speaking out of ignorance here, largely based on what I know is the main cast of the show. lol

While the main cast of the show is white, this is because the world of advertising executives in the 60s was dominated by white people. Racism is definitely a plot element - particularly in the second season, as I recall.

Off-topic, but had to be said!

duckroll

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118060488

"Compared with other Toei Animation films, this 'Saint Seiya' feature will have a top-level budget, and will be delivered in S3D and CGI 3D," said Morishita. "In Japan, audiences are not yet fond of stereotropic films, but it's crucial to provide a 3D version for territories like China."

Morishita said Toei Animation will produce a 13-minute promo before the end of the year, and is hoping the production will be completed in July 2013.

The exec is also considering producing a TV toon skein after launching the feature film. It would be a different program from "Saint Seiya Omega," a spinoff series, which bowed in April on TV Asahi.

"In the past we'd produced a TV series first and then a film, but we've found that delivering a movie before starting to develop a series is a great way to test the appetite of audience, and limit risks," said Morishita.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
While the main cast of the show is white, this is because the world of advertising executives in the 60s was dominated by white people. Racism is definitely a plot element - particularly in the second season, as I recall.

Off-topic, but had to be said!

To be fair, I was describing why I don't want to watch it and not the show itself. I avoided Friday Night Lights for years because I thought it was a show about football and Texas. Which, on paper, sounds like torture to me. :p

Jex

Girls Und Panzer

This explains everything. Also, German uniforms and tanks looked cool, regardless of their usage. Do you not agree?

Sword Art Online 11:

All the bad saccharine romance aside, I suppose I'm interested to see how this arc plays out. (actually, I already know, but if I didn't know, this is what I'd say.)

The whole
Liberation Front
thing in this episode retroactively makes the events of episode nine a little more confusing, as
if their true purpose is basically just to institute a fascist state in the weakest area of the game and leech resources from other players through thuggery, why were they randomly on the frontlines
? I thought it was stated in episode nine that
they stopped being a frontline group after suffering heavy losses on the twenty-somethingth floor
anyway.
This isn't their true purpose ...
Only a part of the Army follow the take-it-from-the weak attitude.. The reason is that most of their not jerk players died

Onsen ? pool ? YES.gif this is weird since i'm hitting an arc in the psp game that seems to be That ....
WAT WAT WAT WAT!?

What is this!?

The second best character in medaka box ...

yayoi & joker and the only good things in smile precure ... as next episode will again prove

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom