• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Glass Fleet 16

40qHul.png

This shit is so temporally busted. I think the second scene actually went back quite a bit in time. God damn it too, Cleo.

Old guy: A black hole is going to swallow the galaxy.
Cleo: What happens after that?
Me: ...

Vetti's insatiable brolust for Cleo is reaching new heights too. The treatment of his bride though.. lol What a boss.

CZA6ll.png

This guy was just bizarre.

o2iZcl.png

I forgive the show some for giving me cleo-ohyou.jpg

Jex

After thinking long and hard, I finally realized who Haru in My Litter Monster reminds me so much of. It is none other than Morita from Honey and Clover. Haru is much more crass and violent, but I think there are many similarities in the characters - they're both weird, have strange (and somewhat unpleasant) ways of showing their affection, don't attend classes, born geniuses, extremely capable at anything they actually put their mind to, etc.

I'm glad I finally have this load off my chest. It was really bothering me but I couldn't put my finger on it! Whew.

Of course, Morita is a creeper who likes little girls.

Gintama 121

Oh snap, big time parody!

So in order to recover what was precious but is now lost at least to Gin, they dive into Monster Monkey Hunter Online. Extremely amusing, I actually wonder how long this arc will last.

cajunator

Banned
OH damn. Im conflicted. On one hand I have a shitload of stuff new and old to watch. On the other hand an unopened copy of Glass fleet is 2.5 feet from my right hand up on the shelf behind a catgirl, beckoning to be watched. I must admit your impressions and that abridged video is making it mighty tempting.

cajunator

Banned
The best part is how the big revelation in the flashback wasn't known by the person relaying it.

Surely the only mistake would be putting it back up.

OK I'm gonna start it after I finish From the New world 02. I cannot put it off any longer.
It looks so terribly good.

Nafe

Tonari No Kaibutsu-kun Episode 2

The quality to the look and background art continue to impress in the second episode. I'm also quite enjoying all the really varied and expressive facial and body reactions of the characters. It seemed almost like that was the kind of thing you'd find in the now somewhat more older shows.

Haru was more tolerable this episode and a lot more of his antics came across as more humourous or it was easier to see his somewhat clueless idiot character. He still did have his moments for me though. The one thing about him now that I'm maybe still not quite really fond of yet is the fact that
he's portrayed as pretty much a natural genius as he's never really gone to school, yet apparently just knows all these somewhat more complex mathematical equations and the like.

For me personally it's also a bit of an audio recognition whiplash as the seiyuu for Haru is Tatsuhisa Suzuki who's doing the voice of Haruto(haha another "Haru") in Saint Seiya Omega right now and his character in that show is the complete opposite of Haru.

This episode also introduces, well further introduces as she actually appeared last episode, the character Natsume, who seems like she could be an interesting addition to the cast, adding a fun third dynamic to the already somewhat weird chemistry between Shizuku and Haru. Just like the main two she can also be rather blunt in her approach and that scene
where she's throwing up was both kind of funny and really gross at the same time.
Speaking of seiyuu's again, Atsumi Tanezaki who is voicing Natsume, I think she did a really great job for voicing her first anime character! She has a good range of being able to flip flop from that cheerful lighthearted tone to the more serious and back. I hope she gets more work in the future.

As far as the pacing, again, I think the general flow of the episode is fine but in terms of the relationship it still seems kind of fast and makes me intrigued to see how the upcoming episodes will be handled.

Lain

K 1

Overall it was an interesting start, what with the great initial music and the powers. The episode did feel a bit disconnected to me though when they switch over to the school and i would have also liked a bit more background info about the going ons than what was provided, but at least it makes me curious.

cajunator

Banned
Sengoku Collection 1

This is quite literally the most blatantly lazy premise I have ever seen and could possibly think of in anime if not in fiction generally: when needing an excuse for your already breathtakingly stupid hook (ODA NOBUNAGA WITH A VAGINA! AGAIN!) to occur in the modern day in order to, I dunno, facilitate the ease of adapting from the card-game you based it on with some left-over backgrounds from Penguin Drum or whatever - we totally need more card game anime btw, m'fing FreeCell anyone? - you need only have her literally fall out of the sky. Really. Really really. Really literally. As in not even figuratively anymore as the cliche was originally intended.

For fuckin' reals. But make sure you have some bland dude around to act as the creator/audience insert, respectively, by questioning the sensibilty of premise (ramen slaves at Brains Base, merciless creators) - namely the sanity of a fucking moeblob with tits claiming to be a brutal shogunate warlord who's been dead for 400 years, because this is, like, really what this shit is about - as well as to wish she'd be run over by a bus (me, audience).

Though, actually, I've seen way worse genderswapped sengoku shows - note that admitting this is one of those epochal events that forces an examination of the life that lead up to such a pitiful point - so I have to grudgingly admit that for a widget show with a flagrantly anachronistic premise it...actually... wasn't that bad. I give it five peaceful occupations of Manchuria out of ten.

Ieyasu is really super cute in Sengoku Collection. That isn't her.

Jex

All these first episode impressions of all these different shows the last few days are making me excited for my vacation from work o end so I can come back to civilization and get to real internet so I can watch :( Jojo, Girls and Panzer, ad OniAi have piqued my interest.

Anyways, while I'm out here in the sticks at my parents, I watched the first episode of Fate/Zero and it took all day because I was bored to tears. This episode seemed like all set up though, so I guess it'll pick up now that the "servants" are summoned and the action looks to be starting.
Actually, there's more set-up after the first episode. Sorry!

Back in the day, when I would more frequently spend my time committing the form of self-flagellation known as "watching KEY anime," I distinctly remember one of the episodes around where you are right now (I'm assuming '06) - in which Yuichi and Ayu hit up a movie theater - hitting over 20 uguus in a single solitary episode. I think that's when my soul died.

Comparatively, Kanon '02 barely registered, with a total of 36 uguus over 13 episodes (and mostly in the first episode.) All this and Ayu isn't even the character with the worst vocal tic!

I'd still take it over Angel Beats anyday. I can only dread whatever Little Busters! has in store for me.

Haha, I loved that episode actually. Angel Beats was good, but only for the last episodes. I have to rewatch it though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Shin Sekai Yori 01

I dig the world, I dig the art, and the animation looks sumptuous at times, BUT whole thing was incredibly boring other than the intro. Bunch of little kids going
6Mdjl.gif
and saying absolutely nothing interesting despite the creepy horror material they are dealing with.

The ending was whack though.

Soma

Dennou Coil Episode 09

ibuxpzGJBK6vgY.png
iC8WpVwar4TU1.png

Haha that was great. This show just keeps getting better. My buddy and I are having a good time marathoning this.

40 seconds into Dennou Coil Episode 10

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUCCCKKKKKKKK

cajunator

Banned
From the New World 02

I'm not sure what kind of game that is, but it looks like a neat idea given their powers.
Creative idea. I also like the weird effects and focusing/blurring camera with the flashbacks.
Also, those really unsettling things at the end and the overall uneasy and sinister tone of this show is really interesting.
This show continues to deliver.

And now, its time to see what Glass Fleet is like...

Lain

Busou Shinki 1

Decent, with a few unnecessary sequences, like the milk on doll one.
The dolls acting so human-like is somewhat a bit off-putting.

I feel that's setting the bar extremely low and then applauding the show for clearing it. The reason that their relationship progresses so smoothly is because of the wish fulfilment element. While it's certainly true that many other shows do relationships badly there failures do not somehow excuse Sword Art Online.
I don't think there's anything wrong with praising a show for rising above the average in one particular aspect, regardless of how pitiful that average is. It'd be unfair not to.

Cwarrior

You can always go support the official thread!

I happen to see what use to be here, that wasn't very nice.

Excuse me if I wasn't impressed by some fancy purple shots & use of classical music by Dvorak, unfortunately I am one of those rare breeds of hethens that watches anime for the story that need to be stoned, publicly humiliated and burnt on your anime cross whatever that is.

I found the substance in the episode to be very boring outside the last five second of the folk tale and the cat shadow bit(only thing that seemed out of the ordinary) , I didn't like how the mystery was handled as it was made up mostly of people dodging questions and beating around the bush in uninteresting conversations.

I didn't care for what happened to any of the characters as I wasn't invested in any of them(
so I didn't care what happened to the random girl in the end
) as matter fact I didn't like any of them as none of them seem interesting or stood out to me, it also didn't help they all had the same faces and looked the same with only minor differences.

I did find it better then most of the animes to come out in the last year thanks to the eerie music & having a mystery aspect to it(soft spot for that) but that's still quite some ways off for me to categorize this as being good.

cajunator

Banned
Glass Fleet: La Legende du Vent de L'univers 01

Holy fabulous fuck on a derpstick. This is amazingly terribly amazing. Its like Last Exile went on full scale clusterfuck mode with terrible voice acting of the noblemen and nonsensical crazy bullshit and fireworks in space.

THE GALAXY IN REVOLT. RENAISSANCE MOTHERFUCKERS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom