• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Gyrozetter - Episode 2

Yeah, I definitely like this show. Gonna keep watching it as long as it stays entertaining. It's a kids show but so fun. It reminds me of the old Sunrise shows I used to watch, which were also similar in tone. While the main character is a boy, the girl is not pushover or damsel in distress either. She has her own hopes and dreams, she's more mature, and can hold her own in a robot battle. The direction is enjoyable, I like the characters, and it's fun to watch a show which isn't ashamed to be a well produced toy/game tie-in once in a while. This episode introduced the actual card battle mechanics too. So shameless. So fun. :)

---

Girls und Panzer - Episode 1

Another series I've been looking forward to. The premise is totally ridiculous - in this alternate reality, schools throughout the world practice a form of "martial arts" based on piloting tanks, and it's exclusively for girls. Wut? But there's a ton of charm here, the characters are cute, and I think the script works. The music is really bouncy too, which helps to maintain the happy positive mood the series has. The main character is a serious airhead, but she has friends to support her I think she'll be okay! The final shot in the first episode is one awesome reveal. I totally wasn't expecting that. Glad they kept it out of the trailers! :D

This is going to be big in the anime world, next Fall season is going to be filled with half glasses girls.

Binbougami did it first.

lThHA.jpg

Mecha

Gyrozetter - Episode 2

Yeah, I definitely like this show. Gonna keep watching it as long as it stays entertaining. It's a kids show but so fun. It reminds me of the old Sunrise shows I used to watch, which were also similar in tone. While the main character is a boy, the girl is not pushover or damsel in distress either. She has her own hopes and dreams, she's more mature, and can hold her own in a robot battle. The direction is enjoyable, I like the characters, and it's fun to watch a show which isn't ashamed to be a well produced toy/game tie-in once in a while. This episode introduced the actual card battle mechanics too. So shameless. So fun. :)

Good to hear, the series is directed by Takamatsu Shinji, who also directed quite a few Yuusha series. As soon as I heard that he was directing it I had hope for it to capture a similar feel.

duckroll

Good to hear, the series is directed by Takamatsu Shinji, who also directed quite a few Yuusha series. As soon as I heard that he was directing it I had hope for it to capture a similar feel.

It's actually directed by Kunihiro Mori. Shinji Takamatsu is the chief director, but I think this season he's a bit busier with directing Ixion Saga DT. But he was the chief director of the Yuusha shows too, so the point stands I guess. Another tidbit is that episode 2 was produced by Bridge, the studio which spun off from Sunrise's Keroro Studio. Not to mention, both the writer and the character designer worked on a the Battle Spirits show. So while this is an A-1 Pictures production, there are tons of elements which make it feel like a Sunrise kids cartoon. :)

Ultimadrago

Aikatsu! 1

aaaaaaaaaaaah22l1y.png

What does an older sister do if her younger brother's pile of idol pictures get ruined? Apparently, get him a brand new set of memorabilia along with a photo album in order to up the "Creep levels™" while they're young. The girls are then accepted into idol academy where they must effectively use a variety of cards which transform them into nasty computer-generated beasts that sing and dance to pleasure their audience.

Perhaps one of the parts I feel deserves most mention is the animated hearts over the heads of audience members during the first CG dance concert. The entire sequence is akin to a bargain bin Playstation 2 title. This wasn't nearly as crazy as AKB0048's opening episode, but with ugly CG dancing like this, perhaps it will find a way to stay more consistent and not go off track into Snoozeville like it.

This all boils down into three questions:

A. Mad Pierrot...why anime?
B. Will this make for a better challenge than Sengoku Collection?
C. Will I stick in the card game long enough to see Mad Pierrot become a true fan of Aikatsu! ?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
It's actually directed by Kunihiro Mori. Shinji Takamatsu is the chief director, but I think this season he's a bit busier with directing Ixion Saga DT. But he was the chief director of the Yuusha shows too, so the point stands I guess. Another tidbit is that episode 2 was produced by Bridge, the studio which spun off from Sunrise's Keroro Studio. Not to mention, both the writer and the character designer worked on a the Battle Spirits show. So while this is an A-1 Pictures production, there are tons of elements which make it feel like a Sunrise kids cartoon. :)

so you're saying it's like Gundam AGE?

Mecha

Ahh, I never knew that. I hope the franchise ends up being a hit for Square Enix, I will accept anything that resembles a modern day Yuusha series
that also has cards

Just watched the ED, best ED of the season? You decide.

cjkeats

All these first episode impressions of all these different shows the last few days are making me excited for my vacation from work o end so I can come back to civilization and get to real internet so I can watch :( Jojo, Girls and Panzer, ad OniAi have piqued my interest.

Anyways, while I'm out here in the sticks at my parents, I watched the first episode of Fate/Zero and it took all day because I was bored to tears. This episode seemed like all set up though, so I guess it'll pick up now that the "servants" are summoned and the action looks to be starting.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru: Futari no Elder - 01-03

dCo8S.png
wQjWN.png

Indeed they are.

They moved fast as hell through the story. Glad they managed to touch on
mindfucked Mama
at least. And the lack of best girl, aka Kayleigh Glanzelius was pretty depressing as well.

sleepykyo

Currently watching IS ep. 6. I kind of suspected it given the difference between Hyouki's housewear bust and her suited bust, but the IS wear is IS is some sort of super corset. ie. There is no way Char's bust gets scrunched that much by the IS suit.

Nafe

They convince the "depressed kids of the week" to play in the stage while they do their fashion show.

Ah, okay, I see what you mean now.

Despite Hitokage's avatar, he is one of the monocle crowd last I checked. So you're fine.

Yeah, I remember cosmicblizzard did that monocles and mustaches chart awhile back and Hitokage was labelled as a super monocle whereas cajunator was right at the top of pure mustache people. Basically on completely opposite ends of the spectrum haha.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, it's absolutely terrible, worse than nekomimi or bandages or twintails or fangs or any other type of fashion accessory in anime.

Oh silly envelope. Those are anime's best qualities! Especially nekomimi.

Currently watching IS ep. 6. I kind of suspected it given the difference between Hyouki's housewear bust and her suited bust, but the IS wear is IS is some sort of super corset. ie. There is no way Char's bust gets scrunched that much by the IS suit.

CHarles is the only redeeming thing about IS but what a redeemer <3
I feel bad for financially supporting that show and actually watching it, but I did it for her.

Kagami

You're right, of course, everyone in the OVA is German. Of course, the message is still the same.

Jex, are you sure you're remembering that story right?
It's certainly been a long time since I saw it, but I don't recall any implication that Japan would refrain from using the bomb.
That was kind of the whole reason why he felt the need to destroy it, to prevent anyone from becoming a 'devil.'
His girlfriend was on the development team and on the plane carrying the bomb, and she not-so-subtly implied it needed to be eliminated.
So you've got a cast of Germans deciding to destroy it before Japan can use it.
Not sure how you're getting a message of "Japan would never use an atomic bomb" from that.
Maybe I'm forgetting a line somewhere, but the way you described it sounds dumber than I remember it and not the sort of thing I really expect from Matsumoto.

Solune

I'm a huge proponent of the rockin' Faulconer OST.

edit: wait, you said Dragonball, not DBZ. No idea what the English OST was like for that!
Me two!
Sorry Geneijin
All these first episode impressions of all these different shows the last few days are making me excited for my vacation from work o end so I can come back to civilization and get to real internet so I can watch :( Jojo, Girls and Panzer, ad OniAi have piqued my interest.

Anyways, while I'm out here in the sticks at my parents, I watched the first episode of Fate/Zero and it took all day because I was bored to tears. This episode seemed like all set up though, so I guess it'll pick up now that the "servants" are summoned and the action looks to be starting.

You will not be disappointed by Fate/Zero. I guarantee.

Gyrozetter - Episode 2

Sounds like a blast and significantly more entertaining than the arcade game. Definitely gonna check this out.

cajunator

Banned

You don't have much to worry about. shit gets pretty real.
You're going to love Rider. Hes a BOSS.

Branduil

Episode 1 is easily the worst episode in the whole series.

yami4ct

Tomorrow I'll have the last of my first exams of the semester over with. Cannot wait. Also get a 4 day weekend. Means I'll probably blow through a ton of anime this next few days.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
It's like they took the idolm@ster game, removed any recognizable traits from the characters, and made them on last generation consoles.

I see a little bit of a resemblance.
I saw it too before you mentioned it.
Yeah, it's absolutely terrible, worse than nekomimi or bandages or twintails or fangs or any other type of fashion accessory in anime.
Agreed. It's awful. Even tiny hats are better.
<Insert photo of 7-volume Japanese releases with enough covers to show all the girls>
Those don't count!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I didn't think that it was possible to make KO's avatar better than it already was but it happened. Walls crumbling and barriers being broken tonight.

Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru Futari no Elder The Animation - 03
KMLmjl.jpg

Yes yes yes

Very good set of oavs ..it's a shame that they couldn't fruther expand the other characters besides the main héroines , fumi in particular in regards to her relationship with chihaya.& chitose ( since she is one of those who knew from the start)

It's a nice story , the oavs did what they could with a limited time ..

A nice ride if you can accept the original premise without nitpicks...

i might just pop the game in my computer to play the true route again ..

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I just meant that I wasn't only seeing it because you pointed it out!

Also, I totally rock the thick black frame hipster glasses IRL.

edit: also, this makes me look more like some Mary Poppins nanny motherfucker than a hipster.
Then let it be a monument to my ignorance and failure (disclaimer: I googled hipster stuff and took whatever it threw at me. I didn't even think hipsters wore fedoras)

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Then let it be a monument to my ignorance and failure (disclaimer: I googled hipster stuff and took whatever it threw at me. I didn't even think hipsters wore fedoras)

Our very own harbinger of doom in OT didn't see the really venomous fedora thread? You should give it a read!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom