• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Seascape-Oil-Paintings-Sailing-Ship.jpg

Regardless, I'll be sailing this ship with
no regrets.
ImoutoxKirito fight on!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sword Art Online 12:

I was expecting to leave this episode seething with incredulity, but.......whatever. I can't believe I'm saying this, but THE MOMENT isn't as bad as it seems to have been made out to be.
lol hacking that makes CSI look realistic etc etc. but once Kirito mentioned that the hack had also preserved Yui's consciousness in his NerveGear's local storage, I was okay with the YUI'S HEART sap. Given the short time frame he had before Yui's administrative access privileges were rejected, I suppose it would have been even more unrealistic for him to bring down the entire game in that short time frame

"Our first real-world child"
, though? Now that deserves a little ridicule.

Kazzy

Medaka Box 5

this was yet another fairly dull affair, at least kikaijima's voice fits pretty well and i'm starting to warm up to medaka's too (yui!) so it's not all bad

I skimmed through the anime yesterday, I didn't really find much to stick around for. Having read the Manga, I just find the initial content to be far too workmanlike to relive again. I also didn't like the voices of either Medaka or Zenkichi, neither sounding as authoritative as I had envisioned. Medaka was the main gripe, though. Mainly because she is supposed to be such a force of nature, and I don't really think any of those episodes managed to convey her personality quite as well as the Manga does. All of which is probably not helped by the focus on her bust, and although I can appreciate her character design has never shied away from the titillation factor (in either form), the anime seems to draw the focus towards it much more prominently. I think it undercuts the proceedings, somewhat.

Abnormal does make more sense to me, though, especially considering the content of those arcs. I'm definitely still willing to give it a whirl. And I'll be curious to see how they portray some of those characters, like Naze.

BluWacky

Please don't do this. It's not funny or smart.

Out of curiosity (question to the thread, not to you specifically Envelope!) is there anyone who's seen Gemini of the Meteor and not Dark Contractor? Much of what is "wrong" with DtB2 is how it treats characters from the original series; while I'm not sure it would be possible to really follow the second series without seeing the first, I'd be interested to know what people who aren't so attached to the original treatment of these characters thought of it.

I mean, the production values were still good, and the new characters weren't completely uninteresting. It seems to be a different kind of "terrible" to Eureka Seven AO - but then I'm basing this purely on what I've read, as I haven't watched enough of that either!

(I'm a terrible Bones fan, forgive me...)

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Out of curiosity (question to the thread, not to you specifically Envelope!) is there anyone who's seen Gemini of the Meteor and not Dark Contractor? Much of what is "wrong" with DtB2 is how it treats characters from the original series; while I'm not sure it would be possible to really follow the second series without seeing the first, I'd be interested to know what people who aren't so attached to the original treatment of these characters thought of it.

I mean, the production values were still good, and the new characters weren't completely uninteresting. It seems to be a different kind of "terrible" to Eureka Seven AO - but then I'm basing this purely on what I've read, as I haven't watched enough of that either!

I only watched half of the first season, and I didn't feel attached to any of the main characters, maybe I should give the second season a try and see what I think of it.

So what you're saying is that this is going to be like Darker Than Black season 2.
i have honnestly no idea what ou mean by that.

I skimmed through the anime yesterday, I didn't really find much to stick around for. Having read the Manga, I just find the initial content to be far too workmanlike to relive again. I also didn't like the voices of either Medaka or Zenkichi, neither sounding as authoritative as I had envisioned. Medaka was the main gripe, though. Mainly because she is supposed to be such a force of nature, and I don't really think any of those episodes managed to convey her personality quite as well as the Manga does. All of which is probably not helped by the focus on her bust, and although I can appreciate her character design has never shied away from the titillation factor (in either form), the anime seems to draw the focus towards it much more prominently. I think it undercuts the proceedings, somewhat.

Abnormal does make more sense to me, though, especially considering the content of those arcs. I'm definitely still willing to give it a whirl. And I'll be curious to see how they portray some of those characters, like Naze.

Yep i said it already but the first arc is like a necessary evil for the real arc afterwards.
As for medaka voice i did get her arrogant and force attitude .. aren't you sure you aren't confused since medaka personality changes a lot in the manga.
If you're not , fine since we get to see her real personality in the second arc and onwards..

Naze especially will be difficult to nail ..i hope whoever does her voice will succeed

Personally, my biggest/only problems with season 2 were one of the new characters(who was only present for the first half) and the last episode. I didn't think it did anything particularly offensive to the characters from the original series.

i have honnestly no idea what ou mean by that.
Well, Kirito has been compared to Hei, and DtB went from a mostly episodic format to a serial(is this the right word?) format.

Kazzy

Yep i said it already but the first arc is like a necessary evil for the real arc afterwards.
As for medaka voice i did get her arrogant and force attitude .. aren't you sure you aren't confused since medaka personality changes a lot in the manga.

No, but I can see what you mean. I just don't think she sounds detached enough ( although, that's not to say she was stoic either), because in the manga, her 'perfect' persona was always tempered by a certain aloofness, at least intially.

7Th

The biggest problem with Gemini of the Meteor is the atrocious ending.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
You shouldn't. That's a picture of a sinking ship.

I have a habit of supporting sinking ships. Yakumo, Nagato, Kyou...

The only time my support ended up becoming actual canon was in Shuffle, oddly enough. I was just as shocked as anyone.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sword Art Online 13:

First nine minutes of the episode were the pinnacle of the show. Some of those expressions were amazing. Lots of avatar material.

The rest? Ehh. I do enjoy
the boss fights
, but
none have ever felt as well-designed as the first when there was actual visible teamwork involved and not just named characters mopping up after everyone else gets pwned in the first seconds of the battle. I know that Kirito's always got to be the one to save the day ultimately, but when players are doing the "deer in headlights" thing and getting slaughtered left and right even in the late levels when there should really just be battle-hardened, properly-leveled veterans left, it either makes the game balance look cheap or everyone else grossly incompetent.

Sure, they're doing the teamwork thing with the current boss, but when it's just all of the plot armor dudes doing it while everyone else is dead, it's not as good.

Maedhros

What you guys need to know about SAO is that there's no other OTP beyond Asuna x Kirito. Sorry, but that's the harsh truth, the rest of pairings are only desilusions.

You guys can rage now.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
5 minutes into Sword Art Online 14:

I THOUGHT
HEATHCLIFF LOOKED A LITTLE LIKE KAYABA A FEW EPISODES AGO
BUT I TOLD MYSELF IT WAS TOO CRAZY TO EVEN SPECULATE THAT AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Dresden

The guy from BTOOOOM who can't figure out that the countdown on his bombs means that his bombs have a countdown is a better character than Kirito.

What you guys need to know about SAO is that there's no other OTP beyond Asuna x Kirito. Sorry, but that's the harsh truth, the rest of pairings are only desilusions.

You guys can rage now.

Discussing OTPs? What are we, fucking anime fans?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
5 minutes into Sword Art Online 14:

I THOUGHT
HEATHCLIFF LOOKED A LITTLE LIKE KAYABA A FEW EPISODES AGO
BUT I TOLD MYSELF IT WAS TOO CRAZY TO EVEN SPECULATE THAT AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Your avatar aptly describes your current predicament.

You guys can rage now.

Sorry, that is not headcanon, so I cannot accept Kirito x Asuna. Kirito Klein, Kirito Haru, and hopefully Kirito x more new characters that have yet to be encountered, are all greater than any with asuna.

kayos90

We realized who Yuuta was. He wasn't Lelouch. He wasn't some idiot that got killed by a darkwraith. He was Kirito.

535926_467180199993791_1869352324_n.jpg

Branduil

The biggest problem with Gemini of the Meteor is the atrocious ending.

Well, that's not the only problem, as I said earlier:

To expand on this, let's compare it to something that fails: Darker than Black s2.

Who is the protagonist? Suou I guess, but Hei is important too. What is their motivation? Suou just follows Hei along mindlessly even though he
"killed" her father.
Hei is trying to find Yin and do... what?
Kill her? Why?
The villain's goal is to do something something prophecy something. Not a single important character in the entire fricking show has a clear motivation, nor do we have any idea what is at stake. What is the dramatic question the show answers? Well we'd have to know the question first and that requires knowing both the protagonist and their motivation.

In fact, I can only think of two characters in the whole show who have a somewhat clear motivation: Misaki, and that abominable teenage skateboarder dude, and they both have the same shallow motivation, which is sexual attraction to someone who doesn't want them.

Dat Mari Okada top-rated screenwriting.

If Suou didn't follow Hei, she'd probably be dead or worse. Her motivations were to survive and find her brother.

Hei wanted Yin back because she was the one of the precious few people he actually cared about. He
had to kill her because she was possessed and was going to do some crazy evil shit.

kayos90

If Suou didn't follow Hei, she'd probably be dead or worse. Her motivations were to survive and find her brother.

Hei wanted Yin back because she was the one of the precious few people he actually cared about.

Except the journey was a crappy escapade that didn't feel like it a had a goal to strive towards until the very end.

Except the journey was a crappy escapade that didn't feel like it a had a goal to strive towards until the very end.
I was just responding to Branduil's comments on the characters' motivations, so whether the journey was a "crappy escapade" or not isn't the point. The goals were getting back Yin and Shion.

kayos90

I was just responding to Branduil's comments on the characters' motivations, so whether the journey was a "crappy escapade" or not isn't the point. The goals were getting back Yin and Shion.

Okay. The goals were crappy and the execution that led to getting there sucked as well imo.

BluWacky

Thanks for reposting that Branduil, I'd forgotten you'd given a nice summation of your problems with the show earlier.

I don't really remember the show well enough - I think I only watched two or three episodes - as my issues with it were almost entirely due to it not being "more of the same". Maybe that smacks of a lack of creativity on my part, but very little of what attracted me to the original Darker Than Black was present; it didn't have the same atmosphere,
I was a total Misaki/Hei shipper and Misaki was my favourite character so I didn't care for what the show was doing for her
, and it just seemed like it was too different. Which is why I posed my earlier question - because from a technical level, as with most Bones shows, it wasn't particularly lacking.

All i know from glancing at the manga, but BTOOM has some dark shit, like corpse raping and what not.

Not sure how that translate to the anime. Think busty girl
gets molested by some fat nerd
next eps.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sword Art Online 14:

No amount of sappy reminiscence about being a "dreamer" or whatnot can smooth over the fact that Kayaba is the world's biggest douchebag. "I just wanted to know what it would be like to have my own castle..........and kill several thousand people."

Fuck you Kayaba.

The totally shameless unjustified deus ex machina of Kirito reappearing after dying was maybe the dumbest moment in the series and deserves whatever scorn people have heaped upon it, but I'm okay with Kirito waking up and not getting his brain fried by the NerveGear. I mean, the way I interpreted things, when Kayaba said to Kirito and Asuna "congratulations on clearing the game", I thought that was him exempting them from death. Clearly, Kirito and Asuna didn't interpret it that way, but I'm just going to have to accept this version of events to keep from throwing my laptop across the room at the sheer number of free passes Kirito gets on death BECAUSE PROTAGONIST.

I should be angrier than I am at things ending so prematurely, but the plot's been spinning its wheels with romance -> boss fight -> romance -> boss fight for long enough now that I'll accept the change.

Also, oh hey, I see a certain someone is absent. I guess "justice" was actually done after al--FUCK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom