• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm not going to say that I respect the first season's OST because I don't. Thats why I said what I said about her stuff. It's not an ad hominen, it's simply the truth. And the notion that intellectual plagiarism is somehow not a valid argument against somebody's work is utterly ridiculous.

Except the focus is about the OST and its quality of being good or not. Not the composer. You're trying to juggle two different arguments and combine them when they're not tied.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well, it's certainly an improvement over linking random images of SAO and saying "THIS IS BRILLIANT LOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOL", that's for sure.

There's room enough for both kayoses! We've always been a balance of serious and fun here.

Dresden

I don't have a problem with world building but the stuff in episode 2 was really boring.

I hate quidditch and that stuff was even worse than quidditch. The last 5 minutes though were world building and interesting at the same time. I don't get what the point was with wasting the rest of the episode on a really boring game.

Worldbuilding and character development, duh.

The games people play (and how they approach it) tells a lot about them. Competition brings out both the best and the worst in each individual.

Quidditch, for example, will let you know that in HP's universe, you are not

• important unless you're the seeker, i.e. Harry
  • nothing you do will matter unless you're the seeker, i.e. Harry

It also lets you know that

• wizards are boring people who watch dumb sports
  • they're fine with competitive advantages that are wholly beyond the personal capabilities of the individual, as in, broom speeds
  • they probably deserve all the misery they get

Jex

I don't have a problem with world building but the stuff in episode 2 was really boring.

Just talking about episode 1 right here.
People these days have no patience for world building. It's unfortunate.

I think that's very possibly the case. Not every show needs to charge ahead at full speed right from the get go, especially if you're trying to create a particular atmosphere.

Which isn't to say that you can't do world building poorly - the first episode of Fate/Zero has some serious pacing issues, for example.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well, the Cantus battle was way more interesting than Quidditch.

Watch a few episodes. I absolutely love the show, its easily my favorite KyoAni work in the past couple years, but can admit that some people don't enjoy it. I question whether or not those people have any souls though.

only like 2% of the 120+ skits have any bit of comedy in them while the rest of the anime is just boring and unfunny. Go Soccer and Mio's drawings are the only thing I enjoyed.

I would say hit or miss. If you dislike the first episodes, just drop it.

Is it funnier than Lucky Star?

You are some kind of anime watching machine. I wish I had your stamina.

I have a lot of catching up to do, and because of it I skip through the episodes, OP/EDs a lot. (aswel as classes atm) :p

Seriously. If I watch more than 3 episodes of anything a day I feel burned out.

My treshhold was 20 some months ago. :p

The games people play (and how they approach it) tells a lot about them. Competition brings out both the best and the worst in each individual.

[*]they're fine with competitive advantages that are wholly beyond the personal capabilities of the individual, as in, broom speeds
Just think of it like gear disparity in MMO PvP.

OceanBlue

Maybe cosmic and Regulus aren't particularly interested in the world that Shin Sekai Yoru is trying to build. Building on what icarus posted, I think that, for some premises, world-building for the sake of world-building isn't interesting. I'm lucky enough to like the premise and the world that's being built, but if I didn't, why would I care to sit through world-building for a premise I don't like in a show that has presented no reason to keep my interest?

I don't know. I just feel that it's too dismissive to say that people who don't like Shin Sekai Yoru have no patience.

Jex

It's not so much the "world building" itself that bothers people, I think, but perhaps the lack of plot, or other, action thus far.

Personally, I think I'd have preferred it were it paced even slower, almost at a slice-of-life jaunt, allowing the world to slowly unfurl its secrets, rather than with the almost-expository focus on establishing the setting (& its obvious histories & enigmas) over characters & all other concerns as it is at present. It's got the feel of world-building to no end but world-building right now, imo.

That's a good point and I certainly prefer organic exploration of a setting, where possible. However, every show is made within certain limitations. In the case of anime one of the most obvious ones is the episode limit - you have to tell a story in a certain amount of episodes and that's that. Some recent works would certainly benefit from slower pacing (e.g. Kids on the Slope) but they only had the budget and the timeslot for a handful of episodes.

I think that's very possibly the case. Not every show needs to charge ahead at full speed right from the get go, especially if you're trying to create a particular atmosphere.

Which isn't to say that you can't do world building poorly - the first episode of Fate/Zero has some serious pacing issues, for example.
How does one distinguish between viewer impatience and pacing issues?
I have a lot of catching up to do, and because of it I skip through the episodes, OP/EDs a lot. (aswel as classes atm) :p
You monster.

Even in a MMO if you invest the time you can probably get the best gear, and go all Kirito on dem scrubs. Harry Potter is more like, a free-to-play/pay2win scenario. Don't have an excessively rich godfather? No gold in da bank? GG.
How 99% of you. Ron can work for his wizard bucks just like I had to scrounge together DKP.

It's not so much the "world building" itself that bothers people, I think, but perhaps the lack of plot, or other, action thus far.

Personally, I think I'd have preferred it were it paced even slower, almost at a slice-of-life jaunt, allowing the world to slowly unfurl its secrets, rather than with the almost-expository focus on establishing the setting (& its obvious histories & enigmas) over characters & all other concerns as it is at present. It's got the feel of world-building to no end but world-building right now, imo.

That's not how I personally feel about From the New World - I feel it's been pretty organic in revealing the world through the natural experiences of the characters without any forced exposition, and I also feel it's been pretty good at painting the personalities of the main characters, even if character development as such is not the main focus. But I have no quarrel with anyone who feels differently. My comment was only half-serious, anyway.

I do think there is a genuine problem with short attention spans in today's culture, and I would not exempt myself from that criticism.

Geneijin

No, it really isn't. It's topical and relevant to her ability to create music. That's not an ad hominem.
If kayos90 is simply talking about the quality of the compositions in said music, then it's not pertinent to the composer's intellectual honesty or dishonesty. That's a separate matter.

Except the focus is about the OST and its quality of being good or not. Not the composer. You're trying to juggle two different arguments and combine them when they're not tied.
Yet if judging the quality of an OST, the quality is accredited to someone, is it not? Then again, music plagiarism is absurdly gray, so if it doesn't bother you, then it doesn't.

Grzi

Just re-reading the Balbadd arc in Magi, and man, I can't wait to see some of this stuff animated, people who haven't read the manga have no idea what's in store for them.

I just hope A-1 do the battles justice with some nice animation, but going by the first episode they'll manage that shit just fine.

Branduil

But the point was that for the series that Darker Than Black is I do greatly prefer the tone and feel from the 2nd seasons OST. The upbeat and intense nature in some of the tracks, like in Galaxy Train, drive home the point that Hei is the god damn Chinese Electric Batman - and its really a feeling that the first season fails to deliver through any point with its choice of music. I don't really care for much of S2 in general, the writing really is that awful even compared to the first season, but the music is one of the things that I don't have a complaint about.

I'm not going to say that I respect the first season's OST because I don't. Thats why I said what I said about her stuff. It's not an ad hominen, it's simply the truth. And the notion that intellectual plagiarism is somehow not a valid argument against somebody's work is utterly ridiculous.

I don't see how tracks like Go Dark, Contact, Deadly Work, and Total Eclipse don't communicate the idea that he's Chinese Electric Batman.

But I don't have any problems with Galaxy Train, it works fine. The real problem with the second OST is the more melancholic moments, which simply can't compare with tracks like No One's Home, Yin's Piano, or Parting Regrets.

Maybe cosmic and Regulus aren't particularly interested in the world that Shin Sekai Yoru is trying to build. Building on what icarus posted, I think that, for some premises, world-building for the sake of world-building isn't interesting. I'm lucky enough to like the premise and the world that's being built, but if I didn't, why would I care to sit through world-building for a premise I don't like in a show that has presented no reason to keep my interest?

I don't know. I just feel that it's too dismissive to say that people who don't like Shin Sekai Yoru have no patience.

If anything, I'd like to think I have more patience than most people here.

Jex

How does one distinguish between viewer impatience and pacing issues?
I can't understand what it's like to be someone else having those experiences, I can just extrapolate from my own limited knowledge of something.

I broadly define a badly paced work as something where a vast amount of time is being spent developing nothing or on repeating what we already know - a pretty clear example of this would be the final arc of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Numerous scenes dealt with nothing but random, no-name characters commenting on events that were taking place, or on characters explaining to each other something that we'd already scene. Such scenes served no purpose and only added more dead time to each episode.

Of course, there are numerous exceptions. You can have still, quiet scenes to build atmosphere and mood: see Angel's Egg.

Branduil

• they're fine with competitive advantages that are wholly beyond the personal capabilities of the individual, as in, broom speeds

I like this post.

OceanBlue

If anything, I'd like to think I have more patience than most people here.
Well, he said he was only half-serious, so it's probably no big deal.

Someone posted a clip of of the Chu2koi sakuga scene on Twitter, and now I'm pretty excited to watch the episode when I get home. I might make GIFs if they haven't already been posted in this thread by the time I finish watching it.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Toka, Rikka's older sister and eh best girl.
Damn that's ballin. Did episode 2 air yet? I gotta study and do responsible shit tonight, so ill need something good to procrastinate with.

guys I am freakin the fuck out I've got a test in matrix algebra and I haven't done any of the bookwork yet plz halp

kayos90

You are some kind of anime watching machine. I wish I had your stamina.

Do you feel the same about tracing in animation?

Yeah. If it looks good then it looks good. Sure, the artist is a unethical bastard. I think the only reason that it would dictate whether something is bad if it was traced is if tracing is inherintly bad and dictates how you look at it. It's a common enthymeme that people draw. People think that tracing is bad. Picture is bad and the underlying enthymeme is tracing makes a picture bad. Whether this is true or not varies.

kayos90

If kayos90 is simply talking about the quality of the compositions in said music, then it's not pertinent to the composer's intellectual honesty or dishonesty. That's a separate matter.

Yet if judging the quality of an OST, the quality is accredited to someone, is it not? Then again, music plagiarism is absurdly gray, so if it doesn't bother you, then it doesn't.

Yup. Thanks

I think it only matters if the author's ethics directly affects the OST in some relevant way to the argument/focus at hand. In this case it doesn't.

Branduil

DTB1s OST is totally underrated

I feel it gets a lot of undeserved criticism for being uninspired when that's really more of a criticism of the show as a whole. It may not be as good as her best work in shows like Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, Brain Powerd, and Earth Girl Arjuna, but that hardly means it isn't good.

Gintama 122

l8CGG.jpg

Such rare monkeys!

MonHun continues and of course the whole gang appears. Still amusing, we're getting cruder jokes now but still fun.

kayos90

Also, another legitimate argument you can make for why S1 OST is bad is the following logical argumentation.

Repetition is bad.

Uninspired means that it's possibly a model off of something else therefore leading ti to be repetitive. Unoriginal.

Unoriginal is also bad since it's repetitive.

Repetition arises from plagiarizing.

Music is bad.

The underlying enthymeme the music is repetitive.

Or you can backwards it saying music is bad. Reptition is bad. Enthymeme is the music is repetitive.

Damn that's ballin. Did episode 2 air yet? I gotta study and do responsible shit tonight, so ill need something good to procrastinate with.

guys I am freakin the fuck out I've got a test in matrix algebra and I haven't done any of the bookwork yet plz halp
Good movie + 2x = shit
Yeah. If it looks good then it looks good. Sure, the artist is a unethical bastard. I think the only reason that it would dictate whether something is bad if it was traced is if tracing is inherintly bad and dictates how you look at it. It's a common enthymeme that people draw. People think that tracing is bad. Picture is bad and the underlying enthymeme is tracing makes a picture bad. Whether this is true or not varies.
Fair enough.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
School Days 9

52YQ3.jpg

Don't cry for me. I'm already dead.

Japanese Simon Pegg made another brief cameo at the beginning of this episode. Well that about wraps it up for the positives.

I made a joke that the school itself is a sick place. Apparently I wasn't wrong. Your environment shapes you so it's no wonder most of the pupils here are messed up.

Now of course you obviously want to know what I think about our "favourite" MC. I could thank Evilore for recently pardoning a certain term that could be used to describe M.C.Dick, but I'm afraid that term just doesn't cut it. Now you're probably thinking how is it possible for me to hate his guts even more? Well maybe because without a seconds thought he decided to get it on with ANOTHER girl. (No, not the girl from Another, but a girl who isn't one of the two I usually talk about silly). And the worst thing about it is that he probably thinks he's doing his good deed for the day. It's gotten so bad that when they introduced another character for no apparent reason ( friend of the "girlfriend"'s younger sister) I wouldn't have been surprised if he is pulled off her knickers there and then and bonked her. Yes I am taking into account that she is probably 10.

After thinking about it for a while I worked out why the characters in this show are so infuriating. It is because none of them act in a manner that they should. M.C.Dick should play SAO because he could die a million times and it wouldn't matter because clearly his brain is in his penis. "Best" girl seems to forgotten everything that has happened in this show so far and lives only in the now. And "Girlfriend" seems to be stuck on the script from a few episodes back. But at least she seems to have caught up now. Lets hope there's some light at the end of this tunnel and she
goes full yandere, kills the MC with one of her knitting needles, puts his body in a meat grinder, uses the meat strands to knit a new scarf and the final scene is of her with the scarf round her neck all happy and smiley because now they'll always be together.
Ah bless.

And on a final note, I'd like to make a special mention of one of the few girls at this school who hasn't offended me one bit. Well done you.

School Days 9

Japanese Simon Pegg made another brief cameo at the beginning of this episode. Well that about wraps it up for the positives.

I made a joke that the school itself is a sick place. Apparently I wasn't wrong. Your environment shapes you so it's no wonder most of the pupils here are messed up.

Now of course you obviously want to know what I think about our "favourite" MC. I could thank Evilore for recently pardoning a certain term that could be used to describe M.C.Dick, but I'm afraid that term just doesn't cut it. Now you're probably thinking how is it possible for me to hate his guts even more? Well maybe because without a seconds thought he decided to get it on with ANOTHER girl. (No, not the girl from Another, but a girl who isn't one of the two I usually talk about silly). And the worst thing about it is that he probably thinks he's doing his good deed for the day. It's gotten so bad that when they introduced another character for no apparent reason ( friend of the "girlfriend"'s younger sister) I wouldn't have been surprised if he is pulled off her knickers there and then and bonked her. Yes I am taking into account that she is probably 10.

After thinking about it for a while I worked out why the characters in this show are so infuriating. It is because none of them act in a manner that they should. M.C.Dick should play SAO because he could die a million times and it wouldn't matter because clearly his brain is in his penis. "Best" girl seems to forgotten everything that has happened in this show so far and lives only in the now. And "Girlfriend" seems to be stuck on the script from a few episodes back. But at least she seems to have caught up now. Lets hope there's some light at the end of this tunnel and she
goes full yandere, kills the MC with one of her knitting needles, puts his body in a meat grinder, uses the meat strands to knit a new scarf and the final scene is of her with the scarf round her neck all happy and smiley because now they'll always be together.
Ah bless.

And on a final note, I'd like to make a special mention of one of the few girls at this school who hasn't offended me one bit. Well done you.
This post...this post.
xhsrb.gif

kayos90

School Days 9

Ah bless.

Holy shit dude. Are you sure you don't work for this company?

jman2050

School Days 9

Ah bless.

tigerfistpump27sl5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom