• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Sword Art Online 14:

No amount of sappy reminiscence about being a "dreamer" or whatnot can smooth over the fact that Kayaba is the world's biggest douchebag. "I just wanted to know what it would be like to have my own castle..........and kill several thousand people."

Fuck you Kayaba.

The totally shameless unjustified deus ex machina of Kirito reappearing after dying was maybe the dumbest moment in the series and deserves whatever scorn people have heaped upon it, but I'm okay with Kirito waking up and not getting his brain fried by the NerveGear. I mean, the way I interpreted things, when Kayaba said to Kirito and Asuna "congratulations on clearing the game", I thought that was him exempting them from death. Clearly, Kirito and Asuna didn't interpret it that way, but I'm just going to have to accept this version of events to keep from throwing my laptop across the room at the sheer number of free passes Kirito gets on death BECAUSE PROTAGONIST.

I should be angrier than I am at things ending so prematurely, but the plot's been spinning its wheels with romance -> boss fight -> romance -> boss fight for long enough now that I'll accept the change.

Also, oh hey, I see a certain someone is absent. I guess "justice" was actually done after al--FUCK.

Glad you enjoyed Batman. Now for the sequel.

Kazzy

K-ON!! - Episode 11

fLPvB.jpg

K-OFF!

Simpsons did it! Simpsons did it! Remember that episode where it was too hot, and they had no air-conditioning? Yeah, it's sort of like that. The episode pretty much consisted of them coping with ways of dealing with the heat, like wearing costumes, wearing more costumes, and stepping into Narnia. All the while, they searched for the fabled air conditioner.

There was also a spot of turtle action, and Ton-chan continues to be lovingly rendered. I can't think of another show, where details such as a turtle shedding its skin would actually be a topic, but they continually provide that little bit extra. I know some would question why they'd even bother (or that it's boring), but in my opinion, it really adds to the overall feel. It feels like a club-room, rather than just a setting that exists within the confines of those 20+ minutes. I remember it was executed in much the say way with Haruhi, where previous (and future) episodes were continually referenced in the ever-changing decorations/trinkets. It's not quite as manic here, but there are some subtle changes as the series move on, like the scribbles on the board.

And it was a happy ending! But, Yui continues to be an idiot, so there's that.

Narag

Sword Art Online 14:

No amount of sappy reminiscence about being a "dreamer" or whatnot can smooth over the fact that Kayaba is the world's biggest douchebag. "I just wanted to know what it would be like to have my own castle..........and kill several thousand people."

Fuck you Kayaba.

The totally shameless unjustified deus ex machina of Kirito reappearing after dying was maybe the dumbest moment in the series and deserves whatever scorn people have heaped upon it, but I'm okay with Kirito waking up and not getting his brain fried by the NerveGear. I mean, the way I interpreted things, when Kayaba said to Kirito and Asuna "congratulations on clearing the game", I thought that was him exempting them from death. Clearly, Kirito and Asuna didn't interpret it that way, but I'm just going to have to accept this version of events to keep from throwing my laptop across the room at the sheer number of free passes Kirito gets on death BECAUSE PROTAGONIST.

I should be angrier than I am at things ending so prematurely, but the plot's been spinning its wheels with romance -> boss fight -> romance -> boss fight for long enough now that I'll accept the change.

Also, oh hey, I see a certain someone is absent. I guess "justice" was actually done after al--FUCK.

SAO LN VOL #1 stuff:
Yeah, the whole congratulations thing mentioning both him and her was actually the impetus for his miracle walk at the end. He expected to die with Aincrad yet didn't. He realized she was likely alive too due to Kayaba explicitly congratulating her and that he played God to the bitter end

kayos90

SAO LN VOL #1 stuff:
Yeah, the whole congratulations thing mentioning both him and her was actually the impetus for his miracle walk at the end. He expected to die with Aincrad yet didn't. He realized she was likely alive too due to Kayaba explicitly congratulating her and that he played God to the bitter end

In all honesty, despite Kayaba Akihiko being a jerkwad, I think there are worse villains. Trust me.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Darker than Black never got a second season

I must be one of the few who didn't mind S2. The story was always nonsensical. S2 just kicked it up to another level of stupid.

But it had a better OST, it had undulation and it had hobo Hei. So I enjoyed it for what it was.

OceanBlue

Untz Untz Untz as the detractors like to call it fits so much better with DTB than a completely uninspired Kanno OST. I don't think very much of her plagiarized shit anyway.
I've heard of people saying that Kanno plagiarizes, but I've never really had it explained to me (probably because I haven't looked). Is this one of those arguable things, or does everyone agree that she plagiarizes with her work?

Narag

I've heard of people saying that Kanno plagiarizes, but I've never really had it explained to me (probably because I haven't looked). Is this one of those arguable things, or does everyone agree that she plagiarizes with her work?

I've seen some compelling YouTube vids.

kayos90

Untz Untz Untz as the detractors like to call it fits so much better with DTB than a completely uninspired Kanno OST. I don't think very much of her plagiarized shit anyway.

If you have a problem with the composer that's fine. Don't say a show's OST is bad because you don't like the composer or because you think she plagiarizes. That's a mediocre argument.

Good music is good period. Ad hominems don't change whether a music is good or bad. Only the perception of the composer. That's it.

Jex

If you have a problem with the composer that's fine. Don't say a show's OST is bad because you don't like the composer or because you think she plagiarizes. That's a mediocre argument.

Good music is good period. Ad hominems don't change whether a music is good or bad. Only the perception of the composer. That's it.

This post is so startlingly clear-headed that I don't know if it belongs on this page. However, to be fair darkside156 just said he felt the soundtrack was uninspired and separately he mentioned not caring much for her work because of the whole plagiarism angle.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

But the point was that for the series that Darker Than Black is I do greatly prefer the tone and feel from the 2nd seasons OST. The upbeat and intense nature in some of the tracks, like in Galaxy Train, drive home the point that Hei is the god damn Chinese Electric Batman - and its really a feeling that the first season fails to deliver through any point with its choice of music. I don't really care for much of S2 in general, the writing really is that awful even compared to the first season, but the music is one of the things that I don't have a complaint about.

I'm not going to say that I respect the first season's OST because I don't. Thats why I said what I said about her stuff. It's not an ad hominen, it's simply the truth. And the notion that intellectual plagiarism is somehow not a valid argument against somebody's work is utterly ridiculous.

kayos90

Damn. :lol

Meh. It's fine. I've already made it clear that I like SAO despite it's problems. It's not like yall are unaware of my ability to create smart posts. I hope....

But the point was that for the series that Darker Than Black is I do greatly prefer the tone and feel from the 2nd seasons OST. The upbeat and intense nature in some of the tracks, like in Galaxy Train, drive home the point that Hei is the god damn Chinese Electric Batman - and its really a feeling that the first season fails to deliver through any point with its choice of music. I don't really care for much of S2 in general, the writing really is that awful even compared to the first season, but the music is one of the things that I don't have a complaint about.

I'm not going to say that I respect the first season's OST because I don't. Thats why I said what I said about her stuff. It's not an ad hominen, it's simply the truth. And the notion that intellectual plagiarism is somehow not a valid argument against somebody's work is utterly ridiculous.

If you think the S2 OST is better then why didn't you just follow up your original statement with your first paragraph? That would've been perfectly fine!

You saying the S2 OST is better and then following it up with her work being "plagiarized shit" IS an ad hominem. If you don't think so, then either I have to assume you dont' know what ad hominem is or you fail to see why it is.

Jex

Shin Sekai Yori 01

I dig the world, I dig the art, and the animation looks sumptuous at times, BUT whole thing was incredibly boring other than the intro. Bunch of little kids going
6Mdjl.gif
and saying absolutely nothing interesting despite the creepy horror material they are dealing with.

The ending was whack though.

I'm...disappointed in your lack of fortitude.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
If you think the S2 OST is better then why didn't you just follow up your original statement with your first paragraph? That would've been perfectly fine!

You saying the S2 OST is better and then following it up with her work being "plagiarized shit" IS an ad hominem. If you don't think so, then either I have to assume you dont' know what ad hominem is or you fail to see why it is.

No, it really isn't. It's topical and relevant to her ability to create music. That's not an ad hominem.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
People these days have no patience for world building. It's unfortunate.

I don't have a problem with world building but the stuff in episode 2 was really boring.

I hate quidditch and that stuff was even worse than quidditch. The last 5 minutes though were world building and interesting at the same time. I don't get what the point was with wasting the rest of the episode on a really boring game.

I don't have a problem with world building but the stuff in episode 2 was really boring.

I hate quidditch and that stuff was even worse than quidditch. The last 5 minutes though were world building and interesting at the same time. I don't get what the point was with wasting the rest of the episode on a really boring game.

well, to
introduce the big antagonist of the show obviously

kayos90

No, it really isn't. It's topical and relevant to her ability to create music. That's not an ad hominem.

It's relevant in the fact that she's the composer to the OST. However, it's not relevant to the focus of the argument which is, the quality of the music. Darkside thinks the S2 OST is better. Yet, he follows it up by saying Kanno is a "plagiarist," rather than saying why S2 OST is better. I already said he should've followed it up with the paragraph I mentioned. Also, her being a plagiarist has nothing to do with the quality of the actual OST. Good music is good music regardless of how it was created. The matter that you're discussing is the ethical/creative creation of the OST. Not if the music in the OST is actually good or not. Don't try to shift the argument and put it into stasis. It's poor argumentation.

Moving on to the next anime in my backlog. How is Nichijou?
You are some kind of anime watching machine. I wish I had your stamina.
It's relevant in the fact that she's the composer to the OST. However, it's not relevant to the focus of the argument which is, the quality of the music. Darkside thinks the S2 OST is better. Yet, he follows it up by saying Kanno is a "plagiarist," rather than saying why S2 OST is better. I already said he should've followed it up with the paragraph I mentioned. Also, her being a plagiarist has nothing to do with the quality of the actual OST. Good music is good music regardless of how it was created. The matter that you're discussing is the ethical/creative creation of the OST. Not if the music in the OST is actually good or not. Don't try to shift the argument and put it into stasis. It's poor argumentation.
Do you feel the same about tracing in animation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom