• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.
School Days 9

Japanese Simon Pegg made another brief cameo at the beginning of this episode. Well that about wraps it up for the positives.

I made a joke that the school itself is a sick place. Apparently I wasn't wrong. Your environment shapes you so it's no wonder most of the pupils here are messed up.

Now of course you obviously want to know what I think about our "favourite" MC. I could thank Evilore for recently pardoning a certain term that could be used to describe M.C.Dick, but I'm afraid that term just doesn't cut it. Now you're probably thinking how is it possible for me to hate his guts even more? Well maybe because without a seconds thought he decided to get it on with ANOTHER girl. (No, not the girl from Another, but a girl who isn't one of the two I usually talk about silly). And the worst thing about it is that he probably thinks he's doing his good deed for the day. It's gotten so bad that when they introduced another character for no apparent reason ( friend of the "girlfriend"'s younger sister) I wouldn't have been surprised if he is pulled off her knickers there and then and bonked her. Yes I am taking into account that she is probably 10.

After thinking about it for a while I worked out why the characters in this show are so infuriating. It is because none of them act in a manner that they should. M.C.Dick should play SAO because he could die a million times and it wouldn't matter because clearly his brain is in his penis. "Best" girl seems to forgotten everything that has happened in this show so far and lives only in the now. And "Girlfriend" seems to be stuck on the script from a few episodes back. But at least she seems to have caught up now. Lets hope there's some light at the end of this tunnel and she
goes full yandere, kills the MC with one of her knitting needles, puts his body in a meat grinder, uses the meat strands to knit a new scarf and the final scene is of her with the scarf round her neck all happy and smiley because now they'll always be together.
Ah bless.

And on a final note, I'd like to make a special mention of one of the few girls at this school who hasn't offended me one bit. Well done you.
I cannot get enough of this. Its like a sickness.

I want to know how BGBW feels about M.C. Dick's friend after (DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU'VE WATCHED SCHOOL DAYS ep. 9)
raping Kotonoha.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
It's not so much the "world building" itself that bothers people, I think, but perhaps the lack of plot, or other, action thus far.
I'm somewhat surprised there are a number of people who are finding FtnW slow tho, It's certainly not as bad as Ghost hound or Texhnolyze in that area. I'm at the very least finding this has more plot hooks than the slow slow meandering nature of those shows.

Jex

I'm somewhat surprised there are a number of people who are finding FtnW slow tho, It's certainly not as bad as Ghost hound or Texhnolyze in that area. I'm at the very least finding this has more plot hooks than the slow slow meandering nature of those shows.

I don't get the impression that many people have watched either of those two shows. Furthermore, I'm sure there response would be something like "just because it's isn't as slow as some of the slowest shows ever doesn't mean that it's not slow".

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I have never seen this show and I had no idea what it was even about before watching it. Only reason it may seem that way is because, up to and including episode 8, the show was quite predictable.

The reason I watch an episode a day is because it allows me to collect my thoughts.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I have never seen this show and I had no idea what it was even about before watching it. Only reason it may seem that way is because, up to and including episode 8, the show was quite predictable.

The reason I watch an episode a day is because it allows me to collect my thoughts.

Gosh, I can't wait for you to finish.

Where you're going, you won't need thoughts.

Jex

You clearly haven't paid much attention to this thread though! I will admit, however, that before I encountered the work in this thread I had never, ever heard of it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I don't get the impression that many people have watched either of those two shows. Furthermore, I'm sure there response would be something like "just because it's isn't as slow as some of the slowest shows ever doesn't mean that it's not slow".
Well I'm probably a bit biased, since I love films that are even slower than any of the shows mentioned. It's all about the atmosphere and how they present themselves in regards to cinematography and execution, fuck plot!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ah, School Days. The anime that actually has the balls to explore the age old question "What if a harem lead actually decided to accept the advances of the women around him?"

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You clearly haven't paid much attention to this thread though! I will admit, however, that before I encountered the work in this thread I had never, ever heard of it.

Well I heard it was infamous from this thread and so I thought if I were to ever watch it I should go in blind. So I made an effort to scroll past them just in case. Lo and behold the day did come and thus my efforts were not wasted.

Jex

Lol, I wasn't being serious. Yeah, 360p GIFs are pretty pointless. Plus, a lot of the GIFs you find on sites like Tumblr aren't very good.

Ah... it seems like I have the GIF problem after all.

That's why you might as well make your own, brother.

Narag

Texhnolyze~

Ichise has sex with multiple women, gets horribly mutilated, and gets some bitchin' cybernetic implants. Yoshii kills a hooker and instigates sociopolitical upheaval. Onishii talks on the phone.

I always forget Ichise's name. Onishi had the best part there though.

Jex

Well I'm probably a bit biased, since I love films that are even slower than any of the shows mentioned. It's all about the atmosphere and how they present themselves in regards to cinematography and execution, fuck plot!

You're allowed to mention Terrance Malick by name you know!

trejo

Hey guys I heard some poor soul is currently watching School Days and is going in dry.

I know I shouldn't enjoy this as much as I do but goddammit I can't help myself.

OceanBlue

That's why you might as well make your own, brother.

I do, or at least I try to. I'm just really slow because I can't bring myself to automatically delete every second or third frame. I end up going through each frame and deleting all of the duplicate frames.

It's fun to see which scenes are animated on twos and which are animated on threes though.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
You're allowed to mention Terrance Malick by name you know!
Actually I wasn't even thinking of Malick when I wrote that, esp since I don't find his films slow in the traditional sense anyway.

Wim Wenders and Andrei Tarkovsky were what came to mind when I originally wrote my post.

Jex

I do, or at least I try to. I'm just really slow because I can't bring myself to automatically delete every second or third frame. I end up going through each frame and deleting all of the duplicate frames.

It's fun to see which scenes are animated on twos and which are animated on threes though.

What about when a scene lingers on a frame for a moment without it moving? I don't actually bother deleting any frames by hand, or alternatively I just lower the FPS that the video is being captured at.

jman2050

Your reaction to episode 9 is exactly what I hoped it would be. And we're just getting started.

Jex

Magi - 01

I enjoyed it, but I'm not too happy about the changes made to the story. The opening of the manga was reminiscent of how FMA opened, and here they decided to eschew that in favor of rapidly acclimatizing the viewer to the world. I'm fine with changes if they work, but I'm not sure if they do here.

I guess I have two problems with the new direction in writing--one being that the early introduction of the dungeons makes the world seem more game-y than it is. Another is the insistence on shoving in Mor to the introductory episode, where she feels extraneous and adds an unnecessary dynamic to the relationship between she and the others. Think it might raise some problems down the road, or rather, at a specific point where her decision comes into focus and this added dynamic dilutes the nature of that decision. It all feels hurried and even the climax of the episode feels abrupt as a result.

I'm not a fan of these kinds of posts because they confirm the fears I had about the episode from watching it with no prior knowledge of the source material. I can only hope the way they handle the material improves over time because, based off your comments, it feels like they're doing the work a bit of a disservice.

Branduil

What about when a scene lingers on a frame for a moment without it moving? I don't actually bother deleting any frames by hand, or alternatively I just lower the FPS that the video is being captured at.

Jasc Animation Shop 3.11 has a frame-culling option and it's freeware.

OceanBlue

I don't actually know how to reduce the FPS that you capture a video at...

I have always been confused by that though. Say you have a scene at 24fps that consists of a drawing lasts three frames, then a drawing that lasts two frames, and finally a drawing that lasts three frames. If you cut it down to 16fps, wouldn't it delete the third frame of the first drawing and the first frame of the third drawing? That would make all three drawings last for the same amount of time.

Actually, I guess that doesn't really make a huge difference. I wonder how many people would even notice...?

If a scene lingers on one drawing for, say, 10 frames, I just delete the last 9 frames and extend the time the first frame lasts to compensate for all 10 frames. So if the video is 24fps and each frame lasts ~0.04s, I just make the first frame last ~0.42s and delete the other 9 frames.

That being said, I basically learned this before Photoshop implemented the new compression thing with GIFs (where it deletes parts of the frame that are the same as the frame behind it), so it's probably not worth it for the amount of filesize I reduce.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
School Days 9

Japanese Simon Pegg made another brief cameo at the beginning of this episode. Well that about wraps it up for the positives.

I made a joke that the school itself is a sick place. Apparently I wasn't wrong. Your environment shapes you so it's no wonder most of the pupils here are messed up.

Now of course you obviously want to know what I think about our "favourite" MC. I could thank Evilore for recently pardoning a certain term that could be used to describe M.C.Dick, but I'm afraid that term just doesn't cut it. Now you're probably thinking how is it possible for me to hate his guts even more? Well maybe because without a seconds thought he decided to get it on with ANOTHER girl. (No, not the girl from Another, but a girl who isn't one of the two I usually talk about silly). And the worst thing about it is that he probably thinks he's doing his good deed for the day. It's gotten so bad that when they introduced another character for no apparent reason ( friend of the "girlfriend"'s younger sister) I wouldn't have been surprised if he is pulled off her knickers there and then and bonked her. Yes I am taking into account that she is probably 10.

After thinking about it for a while I worked out why the characters in this show are so infuriating. It is because none of them act in a manner that they should. M.C.Dick should play SAO because he could die a million times and it wouldn't matter because clearly his brain is in his penis. "Best" girl seems to forgotten everything that has happened in this show so far and lives only in the now. And "Girlfriend" seems to be stuck on the script from a few episodes back. But at least she seems to have caught up now. Lets hope there's some light at the end of this tunnel and she
goes full yandere, kills the MC with one of her knitting needles, puts his body in a meat grinder, uses the meat strands to knit a new scarf and the final scene is of her with the scarf round her neck all happy and smiley because now they'll always be together.
Ah bless.

And on a final note, I'd like to make a special mention of one of the few girls at this school who hasn't offended me one bit. Well done you.
snicker

Jex

If a scene lingers on one drawing for, say, 10 frames, I just delete the last 9 frames and extend the time the first frame lasts to compensate for all 10 frames. So if the video is 24fps and each frame lasts ~0.04s, I just make the first frame last ~0.42s and delete the other 9 frames.

But then you'd end up deleting all the frames from the sequence where Rei and Asuka ride the elevator in Neon Genesis Evangelion.

When I'm making a .gif I don't bother with any of that stuff and the file sizes remain pretty small.
It's school days time again?

Who's left that hadn't watched it yet?

BGBW.

Stulaw

I can't believe so many of you haven't watched school days before, it was the first ever anime where I actually wanted to kill the main character myself.
And I'm glad he did get killed by the "girlfriend" in the end, even if she ended up mentally disturbed carrying his head in her bag.

Started watching Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, which is already brilliant one episode in.

OceanBlue

But then you'd end up deleting all the frames from the sequence where Rei and Asuka ride the elevator in Neon Genesis Evangelion.

When I'm making a .gif I don't bother with any of that stuff and the file sizes remain pretty small.
Lol, I guess I really have been putting way too much effort for really small returns. :(
Jasc Animation Shop 3.11 has a frame-culling option and it's freeware.
I'll probably try this out. Maybe I'll only go through each frame for really impressive scenes or something.

Although to be honest, knowing how to do this by hand helped me get rid of that awful interlacing in the Oreimo S2 Youtube trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom