• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magi 1

This was pretty enjoyable but I haven't read the manga so I don't really have a frame of reference for how the events played out differently. Will keep watching and check out the manga at the end.

Psycho Pass 1

The main flaw of this episode is that it was just too freaking talky. Perhaps some of that has to do with the necessity of establishing the setting, and it certainly would not be the first time that a Gen Urobuchi work has started off slow, but if every episode is going to be so on the nose with the show's themes and characters, with their positions and views repeatedly spelled out, it will get tired really fast. Akane is annoying already. So hopefully the writing improves over time as with previous Urobuchi stories.

I find it funny your complaint with Pyscho Pass is pretty much my complaint with From The New World.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
ibfQ68vNi8uG1o.gif

Seriously it should be a crime to have not seen Minority Report.

Branduil

I find it funny your complaint with Pyscho Pass is pretty much my complaint with From The New World.

I don't think the dialogue in From the New World is like the dialogue in Psycho Pass. Psycho Pass is very explicit in talking about how the world works, FtnW purposely leaves the details unstated. They're very different shows with different goals.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I don't think the dialogue in From the New World is like the dialogue in Psycho Pass. Psycho Pass is very explicit in talking about how the world works, FtnW purposely leaves the details unstated. They're very different shows with different goals.
Sounds like a VN.

OceanBlue

I kinda agree with Branduil. From the New World is a lot more dialogue-driven than Psycho-Pass in the sense that, for most scenes, dialogue is used to further the plot. I think that, in Psycho-Pass, that wasn't really the case. It felt like they were beating me over the head with telling me how inexperienced and shocked Akane was and that some of the exposition might have been better if it were placed somewhere else.

Well, those might not be Branduil's issues with the dialogue, but that's kinda how I feel right now. I'm not as good at impressions, so I might need to watch the episode again to make sure. The beginning and the end are exciting, but it feels like there's a gap in the middle that probably could've been handled a little better.

The Chuuni Lite ED song gets better every time I hear it.

It really does. The lyrics are hilarious.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Psycho Pass 01
I dunno. I kind of want to like something like this based on the setting and subject matter but conceptually slaying computer determined criminals before trial is supremely stupid to me. Also I don't get why things are being explained so thoroughly to a girl who was the top of her class and should know everything she's doing. Oh right, it's because they need to reiterate everything to me who knows nothing.

Pretty poorly written, all things considered.

Jarmel

Banned
Blasty the Hamlet of Tempest - Episode 2

Oh boy, this is going to go downhill pretty quick, especially in the script department. There really is no escaping the source material is there? The dialogue feels even more overwrought, pretentious, and inane when actually acted out and voiced instead of just being a pile of miserable text in the manga. The way characters double-talk and cross-examine and second guess every minor thing in some "profound" way is really fucking obnoxious.

But... yet the production values remain strong, the action is impressive, the direction and staging is fantastic. Even non-action scenes feel cohesive and detailed, with really nice details in the backgrounds, the ruined city, the fire animation effects, etc. There's just so much effort and work going into the production, it all feels a bit of a waste because the staff are taking this so seriously when the manga is just so crap it doesn't remotely deserve it.

I'll keep watching as long as the action and the music stays high quality... :(

Yea this sums up my opinion on the show right now. That said, this seems off:
Huh? The show makes clear pretty much everybody in the town is dead.

Cwarrior

Psycho Pass ep1 -Criminal Power level over 9000!!

Outside the cg it looked really nice, not sure what to make of it yet the concept sounds interesting (minority report) but now you can contract the criminal mind/aura/ki/chakra/reitsu.

Nice to see Rick's bread make a cameo appearance

defiantly will watch more

Branduil

Well, I think you could say the dialogue in both shows' first episode is used for similar things, both characterization and world-building. I just think it's much more natural in FtnW because the conversations seem believable in the context of the setting.

The dialogue in Psycho Pass is quintessential "AS YOU KNOW" exposition. It seems extremely unlikely to me that Akane wasn't taught this stuff in the academy, but at the same time, it can be justifiable as repetition of important ideas is a good idea when you're training some for a new job. It's mainly an issue of execution as this information is presented as if it's the first time she's learning it.

To be honest my biggest problem with Akane is that I find her character a little unbelievable in the context of the setting. She's an obvious audience surrogate, and I feel she hews a little too closely to contemporary ideas about morality. It seems pretty unlikely to me that someone who grew up in the world of Psycho Pass and was trained to be an Observer would have the same scruples as people who can only contemplate these moral dilemmas in a hypothetical context.

Kettch

Psycho Pass is the correct way to start a sci-fi show. Introduce the world and concepts in a complete, understandable way and move on from there. That should be obvious, but we've been inundated with so many sci-fi BONES shows where they toss random stuff out there and don't explain jack shit that this actually feels special.

Psycho Pass ep1 -Criminal Power level over 9000!!

Outside the cg it looked really nice, not sure what to make of it yet the concept sounds ..don't know.. (minority report) but you can contract the criminal mind/aura/ki/chakra/reitsu.

Nice to see Rick's bread make a cameo appearance
Is that...?

Jarmel

Banned
Psycho Pass 01
I dunno. I kind of want to like something like this based on the setting and subject matter but conceptually slaying computer determined criminals before trial is supremely stupid to me. Also I don't get why things are being explained so thoroughly to a girl who was the top of her class and should know everything she's doing. Oh right, it's because they need to reiterate everything to me who knows nothing.

Pretty poorly written, all things considered.

Well we don't know what she specialized in as it might have been theoretical as her line about the thesis somewhat indicates towards. She probably has very little practical experience.

To be honest my biggest problem with Akane is that I find her character a little unbelievable in the context of the setting. She's an obvious audience surrogate, and I feel she hews a little too closely to contemporary ideas about morality. It seems pretty unlikely to me that someone who grew up in the world of Psycho Pass and was trained to be an Observer would have the same scruples as people who can only contemplate these moral dilemmas in a hypothetical context.

Well this is one of the things about it being a first episode is that we don't know why she became an Inspector in the first place. She could flat out hate the system but family drama might have forced her in this career path. Also there's something to be said about hearing how the system is used towards criminals and potential criminals and another in regards to seeing someone who was just sexually molested about to be gunned down because she had a bad day. Even now, people don't really understand how fucked up law enforcement can be in America.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Psycho Pass is the correct way to start a sci-fi show. Introduce the world and concepts in a complete, understandable way and move on from there. That should be obvious, but we've been inundated with so many sci-fi BONES shows where they toss random stuff out there and don't explain jack shit that this actually feels special.
I can't agree with this. There are other ways to start scifi shows than exposition.

There is no "correct" way.

I kinda agree with Branduil. From the New World is a lot more dialogue-driven than Psycho-Pass in the sense that, for most scenes, dialogue is used to further the plot. I think that, in Psycho-Pass, that wasn't really the case. It felt like they were beating me over the head with telling me how inexperienced and shocked Akane was and that some of the exposition might have been better if it were placed somewhere else.

Well, those might not be Branduil's issues with the dialogue, but that's kinda how I feel right now. I'm not as good at impressions, so I might need to watch the episode again to make sure. The beginning and the end are exciting, but it feels like there's a gap in the middle that probably could've been handled a little better.

I just think straightforward dialogue is easier to swallow than purposely vague stuff. At that point, you may as well be going into something with the intention of rewatching it. A story should have subtle foreshadowing to make you notice certain things on a rewatch, but not require it to understand the plot.

Jarmel

Banned
I can't agree with this. There are other ways to start scifi shows than exposition.

There is no "correct" way.

Well there has to be some sort of explanation or background otherwise we get shit like Xam'd. An audience has to know fairly on what separates this fictional world from their real one.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Well there has to be some sort of explanation or background otherwise we get shit like Xam'd. An audience has to know fairly on what separates this fictional world from their real one.
You can do that without wasting an episode. Xam'd is just poorly written.

Dead

well not really...yet
lol no its not.

Theres no reason for characters to explain shit that they should already know to each other simply for the sake of the viewer.

Having the characters simply live in their world and having viewers gradually acclimatize to it (aka the "BONES" way)...there is nothing wrong with that. Half the time I see people complain about "random terms" being thrown around...if they simply processed what they are seeing on the screen rather than expect a character to just explain it, they would understand the concept of what is being talked about.

One of the worst aspects of anime viewers Ive seen is this expectation that everything should be spelled out. "derp what are all these made up terms?!"

I really hope Psycho-Pass doesn't suffer from this type of "babby's first sci-fi" exposition as much as what im reading here.

Branduil

I just think straightforward dialogue is easier to swallow than purposely vague stuff. At that point, you may as well be going into something with the intention of rewatching it. A story should have subtle foreshadowing to make you notice certain things on a rewatch, but not require it to understand the plot.

The dialogue in From the New World is very straightforward, it's just that the character's concerns are not the same as the viewer's.

Dialogue really isn't the most important element in audiovisual mediums. The main thing is that it needs to be believable and not pull you out of your suspension of disbelief.

The dialogue in From the New World is very straightforward, it's just that the character's concerns are not the same as the viewer's.

Dialogue really isn't the most important element in audiovisual mediums. The main thing is that it needs to be believable and not pull you out of your suspension of disbelief.

I never have a chance to enter my suspension of disbelief when I'm being fed a bunch of nonsense that hasn't been explained well. I want to be part of the conversation, not listen to it.

Psycho-Pass 1

This was a terrific introductory episode that easily surpassed my expectations. I felt it was paced superbly, since it immediately introduces what's likely to be the primary conflict with the opening sequence, followed by an excellent immersion into the world and the technological system that strictly governs it's citizens. The gritty tone is quite refreshing, as the story revolves around a nihilistic, dystopic setting. I'm looking forward to the formation of the larger narrative, as the story's gradual development will likely prove extremely interesting and quite thought-provoking.

The introductory setup was rather simple, as
Akane begins her first day on the job, and, although it was slightly unrealistic that she would suddenly be given such authority
, this was essential in order to deliver the necessary world-building. Although the
momentary rape
was a slightly contrived development with which to show the cruelty of the world, I thought it was effectively portrayed. The
criminal's death
was particularly violent, but not nearly as brutal as the incredible sequence that followed, in which the
Enforcers, along with Akane, chase after the victim due to the fact that her criminality level had risen
. Due to the uncertainty displayed by
Sibyl
in the
concluding sequence
, the system seems inherently flawed, and this particular theme will likely be a recurring element to explore and eventually unravel as the story continues.

The premise is very intriguing, as citizen's psychological traits are detected and consequently assigned a numerical identity by Sibyl, a technological entity that regulates the world, and, depending on the severity of their potential criminality, these likely criminals are controlled, and occasionally killed, by the government. It will be interesting to see whether the
inspectors, such as Akane
, will be able to maintain order, since, even at the end of this episode,
she, due to the ethical dilemma that presented itself, momentarily rebelled against the idea of executing a victim, eventually causing her to fire upon Shinya
. This moment was great, as it illuminated a certain moral ambiguity that seems certain to play an ever-increasing role in
Akane's
development. The complexities surrounding this violently governed society are thoroughly compelling.

Although Akane seemed to be the sole lead in this episode, I definitely expect Shinya's focus to increase considerably as the story progresses. Tomomi was great throughout, particularly in
how willing he was to explain to Akane the subtleties within the work she's required to administer and the violence she's ordered to prevent
. The characterization was strong for an opening, allowing insight into Akane's naive perception, creating a noticeable contrast to the knowledgeable, unsympathetic mentality of her superiors and the Enforcers she supervises.
It will be interesting to see what sort of consequences await her, due to her ill-timed disobedience
. The development of these characters, particularly Shinya, is probably the most interesting aspect moving forward.

The visuals are fantastic, highlighted by the impressive manner with which they illuminate the grimy, violent darkness that permeates the world. The environmental backgrounds are highly impressive as well, since they're suffused with a stunning level of detail. These artistic elements combine to create a distinctly dystopian aesthetic. The animation was consistently good. There were some rather fantastic facial reactions, effectively displaying the subtle transitions in emotion, thus foreshadowing future actions. Although largely unnecessary, the CGI is surprisingly well-implemented, and considerably less jarring than I had initially expected. The character designs are likely the weakest element of the show, but they work much better in motion.

The direction was solid. There were a plethora of interesting camera angles that excellently depicted the deteriorated nature of the city. The music is great and suitably atmospheric, complementing the cyberpunk setting extremely well. The writing, for the most part, was really good, constructing an oppressively grim world of governmental control and a society that's littered with psychological flaws, while also maintaining a firm grasp on the necessity for disparate personalities and flawed characterizations. There were some minor contrivances in the story and a bit too much expository dialogue, but nothing that overtly distracted or seriously compromised the realistic, believable tone surrounding the various developments.

The ED song was excellent. Comparatively, the musical selection for the OP was less enjoyable, but still pretty great.

All in all, Psycho-Pass, so far, has proven to be well worth the hype. The first episode was very impressive and considerably satisfying. This is definitely one of the most promising shows of the season, due, in large part, to it's strong, compelling narrative and the dystopian setting it inhabits.

Risette

A Good Citizen
lol no its not

Theres no reason for characters to explain shit that they should already know to each other simply for the sake of the viewer.

Having the characters simply live in their world and having viewers gradually acclimatize to it (aka the "BONES" way)...there is nothing wrong with that. Half the time I see people complain about "random terms" being thrown around...if they simply processed what they are seeing on the screen rather than expect a character to just explain it they would understand the concept of what is being talked about.

One of the worst aspects of anime viewers Ive seen is this expectation that everything should be spelled out. "derp what are all these made up terms?!"

I really hope Psycho-Pass doesn't suffer from this type of "babby's first sci-fi" exposition as much as what im reading here.
Anime fans really do love brain-numbing exposition :(

Worst of all is when they equate really long bouts of expository spew with "good writing."

Jex

Psycho Pass 1

Here's another show I went in blind, but unlike From the New World, I liked it. The cyberpunk premise is both interesting and visually appealing. It reminds me of what little I played of Kikokugai, also by Urobuchi.

Which reminds me, is cyberpunk practically a defunct genre at this point? I wonder what killed it? I suppose, in some sense we're all living in that crazy future where we're all connected to the internet all the time and corporations exert ever greater influence over the levers of power etc so there really isn't much need for people to evoke a cyberpunk setting anymore.

Chuunibyou 02
Action scenes were well done, and hilarious at the same time. Going to enjoy the show.

Psycho Pass 01

Exposition is nice, I guess. I do like having to figure things out on my own though, as long as the world they create has an internal logic. As someone said, Bones seems to be hit or miss in that regard(outside of E7).

edit: Also: Fuck yeah, cyberpunk.

OceanBlue

Mmm, my problem wasn't that the dialogue in Psycho Pass was straightfoward. It was just that it feels like they laid the "Akane is new" thing rather thick and that there was a little too much exposition that could've been better placed.

Also, I thought the dialogue in From the New World was pretty straightforward. Sure, there are things that you can catch on a rewatch, but I didn't feel too lost or overwhelmed.

Well, overall it wasn't a major issue. I liked the first episode of Psycho Pass, and in the end its themes are established and Akane is characterized, more-or-less. This is just something that I think could've been done better.

Dresden

Which reminds me, cyberpunk is practically a defunct genre at this point? I wonder what killed it?

Visually it's been co-opted by the industrial noir/Blade Runner design, and for most people, cyberpunk was mainly a visual thematic, so... also doesn't help that no one can really define what cyberpunk was, although most would agree that it probably began with Neuromancer, a textual base for what became an iconic visual setting.

I suppose it's still alive in book-form, albeit diminished, and for some folks, distant enough from its origins that it might not qualify as such anymore.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Which reminds me, cyberpunk is practically a defunct genre at this point? I wonder what killed it? I suppose, in some sense we're all living in that crazy future where we're all connected to the internet all the time and corporations exert ever greater influence over the levers of power etc so there really isn't much need for people to evoke a cyberpunk setting anymore.

Yup~

duckroll

Robotics;Notes - Episode 1

This was completely average, kinda boring, and a total waste of the potential of the premise. I'm not sure what went wrong, but it's not just one thing. I guess the bulk of the blame would be the direction. The direction is boring, both visually, narratively, and in the performances. The characters aren't convincing, the art direction and setting is unconvincing and bland, and everything just feels... mundane. This isn't really a "slice-of-life" sort of thing either, it's just that the interactions between the characters aren't interesting and there's nothing interesting to actually watch most of the time.

When the best part of the episode is a short show-in-show robot action sequence, that's just bad news. I might watch another episode, but... pretty close to dropping this simply because it seems like a waste of time. I think going back to the Steins;Gate visual comparison which we argued about sometime back, cosmicblizzard might have been completely right. While the actual production values of R;N might be higher than S;G (I honestly can't tell if they really are), there's really nothing interesting about it, and from the first episode I didn't get any sense of there being any effort to make the setting actually seem interesting or unique.

This was the definition of "phoning it in". No idea why this is on noitaminA at all. Huge Production IG disappointment here.

Caesnd

This sort of character design seems very inappropriate and jarring for a show of this nature.

Have to say I agree with this. It's time we got some 80s designs again! (I'm serious).

Hopefully I'll get used to the character designs, 3DCG (unlike some others in here, it still annoys me to no end; it's in no way a good substitute yet), and overwrought explanatory dialogue, because everything else was pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom