• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Psycho Pass 01

Holy mother of god, Akane is ADORABLE. I love her <3
This is definitely an Urobuchi work alright. His fingerprints are very obvious.
This show is going to be super dark as expected. This team seems to put an unquestionable faith in the Sibyl system, especially when
it seemingly targets crime victims for termination
So far this show is pretty weird but straightforward. akane is typically nervous as hell and hesitant to shoot. Those guns are pretty strange and sinister. there's something devious at work here. This whole system is highly imperfect.

Toradora! Ep 1

Holy shit. Guys. You guys. Listen. I'm in love.
I managed to get this locked and loaded today and to watch while I wait to return to real internet to catch up with Chuuibyou and the others.

Now here's a show that got me hook line and sinker in the first episode. Askia is adorable, and Ryuuji is likable enough, typical everyman hopelessly lost like many of us were in High School.

I can see great things coming from this show. The situation they are in is perfect for the kind of shenanigans I like from my anime. Of course it'll probably end with the two of them realizing they are in love with each other and living happily ever after, but it's not the destination it's the journey, right guys? Don't stop believing.

Taiga Aisaka is indeed cute as hell. She is the good kugiloli.
Toradora is a treat as these kinds of shows go.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I think Ghost in the Shell did weaponry pretty good, they probably could have made it look a little less ridiculous while keeping it unique. I really should take this discussion to the OT though.
Yeah but you know who did the weapon design for the first Ghost in the Shell

He's not around much anymore

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Apparently there are some severe grammatical problems with SAO: Progressive Vol 1. Fans are pretty much yelling at Kawahara and he addressed it by saying they'll be fixed in the next print run. I'm wondering how this will affect sales...

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Apparently there are some severe grammatical problems with SAO: Progressive Vol 1. Fans are pretty much yelling at Kawahara and he addressed it by saying they'll be fixed in the next print run. I'm wondering how this will affect sales...

golp golp?

I guess the publisher is too eager to to rush out to bother editing it.

Blast of Tempest 2

As long as they can keep up with all the cool magic and the interesting plot then I think this may stay with K as my most favorites this season.
I was almost disappointed that they were only together for part of one episode and then would have gone their separate ways but thankfully Yoshino will return and keep watch over Mahiro, so he doesnt go too crazy. I liked that and their growing bond, though I dont know what will even happen if the reveal of who Yoshino's girlfriend will come to pass. I hope they dont break up and part ways for good or something. It would be too emotional, sad, and tense. What reason did he have for keeping it secret I guess.

The ED has excellent moments, so best ED of the season.
tumblr_mbqv8eR2mo1qfsc01o2_500.jpg
tumblr_mbqv3acnQf1qfsc01o3_500.jpg

Uchip

Banned
on the topic of psycho pass
akanes design is waaaaaaaaaaaaay out of place
she reminds me of those creepy anime masks, especially when everyone elses facial structure is a bit closer to reality

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
on the topic of psycho pass
akanes design is waaaaaaaaaaaaay out of place
she reminds me of those creepy anime masks, especially when everyone elses facial structure is a bit closer to reality

She reminds me a bit of Kyoko. Then again... it is Amano. Meh. I don't think it's too terrible but I do agree that it feels sort of out of place compared to the other characters.

Blast of Tempest 2

As long as they can keep up with all the cool magic and the interesting plot then I think this may stay with K as my most favorites this season.
I was almost disappointed that they were only together for part of one episode and then would have gone their separate ways but thankfully Yoshino will return and keep watch over Mahiro, so he doesnt go too crazy. I liked that and their growing bond, though I dont know what will even happen if the reveal of who Yoshino's girlfriend will come to pass. I hope they dont break up and part ways for good or something. It would be too emotional, sad, and tense. What reason did he have for keeping it secret I guess.

The ED has excellent moments, so best ED of the season.
tumblr_mbqv8eR2mo1qfsc01o2_500.jpg
tumblr_mbqv3acnQf1qfsc01o3_500.jpg

I agree this show is a clear favorite of mine ..but i prefer the Opening ... "spirit inspiration" is really cool ...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kintama 2

I like the callback to the goggles. What a "meta"-meta-reference. lol

Also, I quite liked this gag for some reason. So jdrama.

It's fun to have this back. And pairing it with Polar Bear Cafe, in my mind anyway because of simulcast schedules, is genius. lol

Which reminds me, is cyberpunk practically a defunct genre at this point? I wonder what killed it? I suppose, in some sense we're all living in that crazy future where we're all connected to the internet all the time and corporations exert ever greater influence over the levers of power etc so there really isn't much need for people to evoke a cyberpunk setting anymore.
Rise of the middle class and the death of manufacturing. There's no more fear of technology or corporations. Hell, we line up for fucking phones now. lol

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Fine, I will respond just for you! But next time, SRSLY, do not pass GO, do not collect $200, just skip straight to Adolescence Apocalypse. It's got what you want, my friend.

This is a problem that follows from the fact that the property and its creator have reputations that precede them, methinks. What's presented is, as you point out, a complex and enigmatic relationship that borders on the romantic only arguably and only at the very end. Juri definitely "counts" too, but that's a one-sided unrequited love.

If not for the movie, it would all probably just be regarded as subtext, I think.

both good things imo.

I had to look this up, but yes.

WhyIsntMyPuddingHereYet.png

Yes.

Haha damn! From now on I shall refer to you as Icarus-heika. I'll watch the movie tonight.

Uchip

Banned
That gem has other blemishes though.
But its still enjoyable so far.

im just noting what stood out for me, its irrelevant that it has other problems
such as a cast of pretty boys +girl (hopefully the explanation is that everyone is genetically modified to be that way). Basically the character designs for the main characters in general, but only because I cant help but compare them to the cast of GiTS

cajunator

Banned
Regarding cyberpunk I think the case is technology is getting to the point where its just not as fun anymore. Beyond the dystopian society stories being played out to death, the tech in those shows can almost exist right now, so its not all that futuristic seeming anymore. It still doesnt mean that there cannot be such shows, thats why Psycho Pass is exciting, but it means that the shows cannot be quite as engaging and fanciful. Unless the technology used is waaaaaaaaay out there.

Uchip

Banned
Regarding cyberpunk I think the case is technology is getting to the point where its just not as fun anymore. Beyond the dystopian society stories being played out to death, the tech in those shows can almost exist right now, so its not all that futuristic seeming anymore. It still doesnt mean that there cannot be such shows, thats why Psycho Pass is exciting, but it means that the shows cannot be quite as engaging and fanciful. Unless the technology used is waaaaaaaaay out there.

thats something im really liking
the augmentations and eye huds appeal to me and the weapon is an extension of that

Narag

Glass Fleet 2Ican'tremmber

hiPwIl.png

That Gonzo magic.

It's amazing how better off the show would be without the "unaired" eps assuming those are the Eimer & Royal Family flashback eps. smh @ not being able to animate
Vetti's pimp hand
either.
That sex scene. Oh my god. Not like this, Michel, not like this :((((((((

Maedhros

Jormungand: Perfect Order 01

This anime still have the best soundtrack I've heard in anime. So much variation. The story isn't half bad too. Dat Hex...

K 02

I guess that's as close as actual death by moe.

I guess I'll start with the negatives. There is apparently no variety in music for this show. Reusing the same track as if it was on a loop, playing the OP as it were a Tales battle theme, playing an instrumental of the OP as we couldn't tell.

Storywise, if that wasn't the weirdest way to make two former people against each other into friends, I don't know what else would be. It was a weird conclusion to the lack of a chase they had.

At least they stopped using whatever silly effect they had for skateboarding and replaced it with uh...moving flowerly wallpaper.

K 02
I guess I'll start with the negatives. There is apparently no variety in music for this show. Reusing the same track as if it was on a loop, playing the OP as it were a Tales battle theme, playing an instrumental of the OP as we couldn't tell. .

What? There were easily over 10 different tracks in the episode, even more two different vocal ones one with a rap type influence during the room scene and the another vocal track with a lady singing. I dont understand how you can say there is no variety or that there is one track reused.

Narag

Glass Fleet 24

So Vetti kisses his wife... and thinks of Cleo?
loool :( So much stupid shit happens even by Glass Fleet standards too . ffs This show has the most amazing sense of balance too.
The shota and loli never stood a chance.
I feel so trolled by all of this. I retract what I said the other night. It's like they knew exactly what they were doing and made the best space opera parody possible.

What? There were easily over 10 different tracks in the episode, even more two different vocal ones one with a rap type influence during the room scene and the another vocal track with a lady singing. I dont understand how you can say there is no variety or that there is one track reused.

Well, it was an exaggeration on my part. Still using the OP twice in an episode just seems lazy to me.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
chuu2 02
I think the greatest thing I can say about this show is how masterfully it mixes the fantasy and the mundane. We get to see the goofy imaginations of each character along side just how mundane their reality is, which turns out to be a hilarious mixture. I think a lot of shows try to do this (and fail), but chuu2 pulls it off really well. To give an example, the fight at the end was great, but to see what was actually going on, how stupid it looked, and how the characters around Rikka and her sister were reacting was too funny.

I really like this show.

THe newest Prinny bomb says NISA has a brand new anime to announce I guess. Wonder what they got, My Little Monster/Tonari?
Dood! Please join us this Sunday the 14th at New York Comic Con for our anime panel! We'll be giving away awesome prizes, announcing a brand-new anime title, plus you'll get a chance to finally find out if the person that writes these Prinny Bombs is a cyclops or not. It'll be worth it! Join us, doods!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom