• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Hahaha, wow.
joeyjojo1b.jpg

wise words from the dio burawndo

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Zetsuen no Tempest: The Civilization Blaster 02:

Not enthused by this episode. It was lethargic and there was just no discernible progress--it felt like a retread of the concepts and narrative foundations already established last week as two guys aimlessly amble about an empty town. I'm especially put off by Yoshino's seemingly total apathy toward the fact that
everyone in his community except for him is suddenly dead
. I think that the first episode was trying to convey that Yoshino felt some sense of detachment from his life--the bullying, the
loss of Aika
, the oppressive winter atmosphere--but his total lack of surprise toward
the existence of magic and the Black Iron Syndrome
is unrealistic by any metric. I need some kind of foil relationship between Mahiro and Yoshino, but if they're just going to be two guys who only slightly differ in their relative levels of angst and nihilism, that's not going to be an interesting dynamic to watch.

The first episode really benefited from its several flashbacks because, more than simply establishing characters' backstories and motivations, they gave the material that occurs in the present space to breathe. Because the material itself doesn't seem to be particularly strong, the changes in time and perspective at least managed to obfuscate just how slow and dry the core content of the story is. As they currently are, Mahiro and Yoshino just can't support an interesting and engaging sequence of events by themselves in the absence of material that expands them as characters or expands the web of figures involved in this battle for the world.

The strongest points of the show remain the music--which, to reiterate the same thing that I said last week--gives the events of the story far more dignity and gravity than they deserve, and the action, which is splendid. I was disappointed that the confrontation between
Mahiro and the mage spearman
ended without much in the way of close combat between the two, but presumably that fight isn't over. I already feel spoiled by the astounding sequence between Yoshino and Evangeline in the previous episode.

I'll continue to watch this as it's not bad by any means, but I've adjusted my expectations accordingly.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I think I need to watch the rest of the series, because I always liked her the most. She was the funniest character from what I could tell. I thought
Ami
was supposed to be the jerk.

She was revealed as a total jerkass idiot
after the arc with Taiga's father, where she could have averted the entire situation in about 10 seconds at any point if she wanted to.

Please tell me I'm not getting School days-ed again.

You...you get it.

Nah, nothing like that. Just the characters aren't all as simple and stereotypical as they seem at first.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
She was revealed as a total jerkass idiot
after the arc with Taiga's father, where she could have averted the entire situation in about 10 seconds at any point if she wanted to.

Nah, nothing like that. Just the characters aren't all as simple and stereotypical as they seem at first.

Welp, my backlog just increased...

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hidamari Sketch x Hoshimittsu 1-3

So this character is voiced by Chiaki Omigawa? I wouldn't have guessed; she's almost unrecognizable.

I watched all of Hoshimittsu without being aware of the fact. I only learned when someone mentioned it in this thread a couple of days ago.

maybe she wouldn't be worst Hidamari if she actually spoke in classic Omigawa voice

Nafe

Hahaha what? I'm a sweet innocent girl who sees nothing wrong with these.

To be honest, I'm not sure what word Aigis is trying to say either. Nothing came to mind anyway.

Well I think that's mostly the point of the first episode. It's made abundantly clear from both dialogue and actions that their justice system, and society in general, is badly flawed. The problematic part of the writing is not that the psycho pass system doesn't really seem to work, but rather that they are pretty heavy handed about telling the audience this thanks to the running dialogue with Akane. With regards to Akane herself, as flimsy as their law enforcement is, I think we can safely say that their methods for choosing candidates for detectives may be equally problematic. If it's criminals who are doing the heavy lifting as detectives, then what's the function of the people coming out of "class"? It seems to me that they are designed to be administrators as much as anything else.

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion regarding Akane but I saw a bunch of people making that same remark and discussing about the exposition with regards to her, so I didn't include that part in my post.

I can see that as regards to the system and the first episode, I guess I'm just really hoping that they have a good back story to explain everything, otherwise it just comes across as really dumb. It also makes me wonder how exactly the system works too. What exactly does it look for in the criminals to decide who makes a good detective and who doesn't?

Also
didn't the old guy mention something about some criminals being irredeemable? I think it was when the guy got marked for execution. The girl had her levels reduced though as I mentioned, that seems contradictory to his statements then. It then makes you wonder what the different enforcers did to get marked as such.

It's all so shifty and mysterious...

Jarmel

Banned
Also
didn't the old guy mention something about some criminals being irredeemable? I think it was when the guy got marked for execution. The girl had her levels reduced though as I mentioned, that seems contradictory to his statements then. It then makes you wonder what the different enforcers did to get marked as such.

It's all so shifty and mysterious...

I think the mindset of serial rapists or murderers would qualify as irredeemable. For the enforcers to have numbers so high then my guess is that they're all pretty kooky mentally.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
To be honest, I'm not sure what word Aigis is trying to say either. Nothing came to mind anyway.
From urbandictionary:

---fellatio
The beautiful art of cock sucking in which one lovingly places the penis of one's partner into one's mouth and caresses it with the tongue and tonsils while at the same time sucking ever so gently and moving one's head back and forth massaging the head of the penis.

If fellatio is performed properly, one's partner will ejaculate, at which time you should swallow his generous deposit, though amateurs often expel the semen from their mouths.

Fellatio should be practiced frequently, for every art and skill should be honored and perfected.

After Alex's date with Tom at the movies and the really expensive new restaurant, she thanked him by performing fellatio on him in his car. Tom welcomed her by cumming in her mouth, and promising another date next week.

PSYCHO-PASS 01

There is so much i want to tell about this show but first i enjoyed it .. Everything was correctly animated and the world lead to some pretty serious changes ..
While the anime was intresting ..i for sure don't want to live in a society like that ..one mistake , one bad day and it's a spiral of chaos ..DO NOT WANT

Everything else was pretty much excellent

Tomat

From urbandictionary:

---fellatio
The beautiful art of cock sucking in which one lovingly places the penis of one's partner into one's mouth and caresses it with the tongue and tonsils while at the same time sucking ever so gently and moving one's head back and forth massaging the head of the penis.

If fellatio is performed properly, one's partner will ejaculate, at which time you should swallow his generous deposit, though amateurs often expel the semen from their mouths.

Fellatio should be practiced frequently, for every art and skill should be honored and perfected.

After Alex's date with Tom at the movies and the really expensive new restaurant, she thanked him by performing fellatio on him in his car. Tom welcomed her by cumming in her mouth, and promising another date next week.

What is cum?

Emitan

From urbandictionary:

---fellatio

You dirty, dirty man. I was keeping her pure!

I would like you all to know that after eating lunch with 3rd grade Japanese children, I successfully managed to parry the fingers that were assaulting my butt.

Truly a victory.

Also damn, Zac from ANN tore into Psycho-Pass. Hahaha. Still haven't caught it yet myself.

Tomat

This weeks Asshole Penetration Defense Alert was brought to you by Psycho-Pass.

I would like you all to know that after eating lunch with 3rd grade Japanese children, I successfully managed to parry the fingers that were assaulting my butt.

Truly a victory.

I can just imagine you doing this all ninja-style without even turning around. Just reaching your middle and index fingers behind you and pinching some 3rd grader's fingers, thus preventing the attack.

Nafe

I think the mindset of serial rapists or murderers would qualify as irredeemable. For the enforcers to have numbers so high then my guess is that they're all pretty kooky mentally.

Yeah, who knows with their system haha. Akane did mention the Enforcers seemed pretty normal though. I guess that's just one more mystery which will be expanded upon later.

... ... ...

I didn't know that act went by that name. I'm done with this conversation now.

You dirty, dirty man. I was keeping her pure!

I've actually never confirmed my gender.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah, who knows with their system haha. Akane did mention the Enforcers seemed pretty normal though. I guess that's just one more mystery which will be expanded upon later.

Plenty of serial killers act normal too. All the Enforcers probably have really fucked up backgrounds.

Nafe

There goes my NafeXNarag fanfiction with you cosplaying as Sailor Venus.

tumblr_m8ni82oy9j1rud6zko1_500.png

HOT!

I thought you did. My mistake.

No, I was just pointing out people assuming everyone was male.

I ship Nafe x Chet Rippo regardless of gender.

I guess that would be Mio X Mio

Plenty of serial killers act normal too. All the Enforcers probably have really fucked up backgrounds.

Indeed, that's true.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Adolescence of Utena

Wow. Wowowowowow!

I’m so glad I watched this after finishing the anime, because doing it backwards would’ve been terrible. The movie did a hell of a better job getting across the relationship of Anthy and Utena, and brought it to another level that I simply did not expect. I saw the screenshot posted earlier, but I simply did not believe that it would amount or make up for what I’ve just experienced dealing with the anime. I am so… so.. damn glad I was wrong. Before I go further, let me just mention how much I appreciate the change in appearances for our two heroines.

Now THAT is a prince. Short hair, cropped, and dashing as hell! Her entire ensemble—from her hat down to her shoes—was perfect. Radiating with a boyish presence, her eyes were the jewels that held her femininity (not just by appearance alone, but through her expressions [especially with Touga]). And thank god they got rid of Anthy’s glasses (sorry megane fans). Removing them and letting her hair down (in more ways than one) made her so much more beautiful in contrast to her anime counterpart.

Appearances aside, they really did go the distance in establishing a concrete relationship between Anthy and Utena. This was quickly achieved largely in part to the slight personality change the two heroines underwent. Utena became more open, as we saw her drop flirtatious lines at Wakaba in a playboyish manner. Anthy on the other hand had a more dramatic change. Her doll-like personality from that anime was gone, and now replaced with a forward, flirtatious girl, who at times seemed to enjoy the position she was in. Anthy herself was the instigator to their initial romance, making bold moves on Utena upon her own bed. Respect!

The music was fantastic and set the tone for the scene so damn well. The piano piece that was played when Utena first received her ring went beautifully with the animation that accompanied it. I’ve replayed their tender dance in the sea of roses at least 6 times already. That moment was straight up perfection.

Another alteration that I was quite happy about was the lack of presence from the males. Don’t get me wrong, Touga was still there
and this time was Utena’s ex-boyfriend (/rage)
, but their involvement was not as annoying in contrast to what I’ve dealt with 19+ hours ago. And hey
both him and Akio died this time. Hell yeah!

I definitely prefer the movie over the anime, and I’m really, really grateful I decided to give it a chance. Having an ending that not only showed their courage of facing a new world (metaphorically as well as literally) but voicing their hopes that there will be more like them in the future nailed that high note I was hoping they could reach for a closing. Well done. Fantastically well done.

survivor

Banned
Robotics;Notes 1

Wow, that was extremely bad. All what I wanted is an anime about high school kids building robots and I got something completely different. Kaito is also the worst MC of this season, the asshole did absolutely nothing in this episode. He just sat on his ass playing some dumb fighting game on his tablet while whining about everything and didn't show any initiative to do anything. Just awful. Dropped.

Uchip

Banned
Robotics;Notes 1

Wow, that was extremely bad. All what I wanted is an anime about high school kids building robots and I got something completely different. Kaito is also the worst MC of this season, the asshole did absolutely nothing in this episode. He just sat on his ass playing some dumb fighting game no his tablet while whining about everything and didn't show any initiative to do anything. Just awful. Dropped.

while terrible, it did give rise to a conversation with my friend about how augmented reality pokemon battles would be cool... and ended up missing half of the episode because of it

Ultimadrago

Robotics;Notes 1

Wow, that was extremely bad. All what I wanted is an anime about high school kids building robots and I got something completely different. Kaito is also the worst MC of this season, the asshole did absolutely nothing in this episode. He just sat on his ass playing some dumb fighting game no his tablet while whining about everything and didn't show any initiative to do anything. Just awful. Dropped.

I don't believe I remember you publicly dropping a show since Gosick.

This must be quite the painful experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom