• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Actual robotics competitions generally don't involve twenty-meter-tall replicas of anime mecha. The depiction of the subject matter (namely, hobby robotics) doesn't reflect our current reality, or, rather, in the future envisioned by the series, interest in hobby robotics is largely fueled by the popularity of mecha anime and so the aesthetics of the hobby have been altered to be more palatable to otaku taste.

It's a world where a kids' mecha anime is the most popular show on television internationally, video games about anime-style mecha are popular, and the "robot boom" mentioned in the episode seems to have a direct correlation with this international explosion of interest in the mecha genre. A show about realistic modern-day hobby/competitive robotics would be awesome, but the main characters in Robotics;Notes don't appear to be interested in the hobby for the same reasons that modern-day robotics enthusiasts are.

About Akiho, cute nerds exist, but they're almost never not wish fulfillment in anime.

It's semi;colon, which has always pandered to nerds--see the PV for robotics;note; "otaku will save the world!" or something ridiculous like that. And everyone already knows about kos;hod and s;g.

As for Akiho, she's a girl in a VN.

duckroll

Okay, now that every show I wanted to watch this season has aired, I guess I'll do a first impressions breakdown:

From the New World - Interesting show with a very powerful sense of mood. Forbidding and ominous, it really uses both audio and visual to draw the viewer into a strange future setting with a very bleak tone. It is all the more disturbing watching this world from the perspective of children, who might be a little too eager to grow up.

My Little Monster - Great romantic comedy with really dynamic and energetic direction. The characters are interesting, weird, and have great chemistry, and the visuals are colorful and pop right into the screen. A ton of fun.

Gyrozetter - This kiddy cartoon has kids who drive AI cars which also transform into giant robots. There's a heroic organization, a prophecy about the heroes who will save mankind, evil villains plotting in the darkness, and also a bunch of plot points which are clear tie-ins for selling toys and promoting the arcade game. Yet somehow it works. It's fun to watch and makes me feel like a kid again. Yay!

Chuu2koi - Good production values from a good studio wasted on a premise which doesn't interest me one bit. Guy thinks it is time to grow up and throws out his toys as he moves on to a new school year, he meets a girl who is totally childish and loves to play pretend. Lots of "jokes" occur, none of which I find funny. Dropped.

K - Eye-blinding color design and visual direction. Everything in the world is either lit with purple, blue, or green. The story seems totally nonsensical too, as one would expect from a show written by a team of (bad) light novel authors. I find it pretty much unwatchable. Dropped.

Zetsuen no Blasty - This is it! The grand return of Ando at BONES! Amazing direction, great cinematography and art design, outstanding animation and action choreography, solid orchestrated music score! This has to be one of the best shows this season right? Unfortunately its also a rather faithful adaptation of a terrible shounen manga about two pretentious turds who stand around and quote from Shakespeare while posing and thinking how COOL they are. How unfortunate. :(

Btooom! - Decent premise which is a mix of Battle Royale and Running Man. Bunch of folks get kidnapped and thrown on an island, each armed with different types of explosive bombs, and told to kill to survive. The entire game mechanic is based on an actual in-show videogame, and it could be an elaborate beta test. Too bad the direction is so boring and plain. :(

Jojo's Bizarre Adventures - This is so FABULOUS. David Production overcomes their lack of brand name and budget to deliver a fantastic adaptation which is true to the manga and also fast moving enough not to feel boring. Great use of comic captions for sound effects during major sequences. This is great stuff.

Code:Breaker - I expected the worst here, but somehow the first episode was actually entertaining. It's not particularly exciting or outstanding, but there are a bunch of dudes with special powers who might or might not fight each other later, and the main character burns dudes alive. Good production values, so I'm hoping for cool fights.

Magi - I love the source material, so it's making it hard for me to fully enjoy this when it looks like the opening arcs are going to be really butchered to make room for more episodes dedicated to the major arc they really want to cover later. Great production values, solid animation, but I can't shake off how half the mouths in the show look like ricebowls. FML.

Girls und Panzer - Totally silly premise, yet extremely charming and cute. All girls school, the main character is a clutz, but there's a twist! Girls piloting tanks is a real club activity in this world... for girls only! They should have called this "My WW2 tank can't possibly be this cute!" and called it a day. Will keep watching! :D

Medaka Box Abnormal - I'm only here for the fights, and I don't care about the plot or characters. So far it looks like it's going to deliver. Not much more to say.

Psycho-Pass - This show rocks. Don't waste your time reading my impressions, just go watch it! :D

Robotics;Notes - Boring direction, boring backgrounds, boring scene composition most of the time. The guy is boring. The girl seems dumb. There's nothing here for me except robots. Might or might not continue watching depending on what I hear about robots in this show in the future.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Quite Dresden. We're being monitored right now. We have to stay on the DL.

If the people in this thread were being monitored, we'd all have been sent to prison long ago. Your continued freedom is the best possible sign that your privacy is still intact!

/XX/

An interesting point to note: In the world of Psycho-Pass, the Criminal Investigation Department of the Public Safety Bureau falls under the Ministry of Health.
Seems comparable for them to a Pest Control Service then... quite the respect for their citizens they have in that place!

cjkeats

Does Hidamari go from regular characters to the widefaces in like a characters imagination or something? Every time someone post a picture from that show it seems to go one or the other.
I WANT TO UNDERSTAND THE WIDEFACE THEY'RE ADORABLE.

Robotics;Notes 01:

Man, this is so newtaminA in subject and execution. Otaku subject matter, high school club setting, super duper wish fulfillment female sidekick, the stage pretty much set for accumulating a harem. Kaito, the protagonist, is a pretty unlikable doofus obsessed with mobage who whines everything in an apathetic monotone and is so lazy and self-absorbed by how 1337 pwnz0rz he is at his shitty mecha ipad game that he worms his way out of virtually any request that others make of him with "I'll do it..........if you beat me at THIS GAME WHICH I AM INCREDIBLY AWESOME AT." Fuck you, Kaito.
Joke : he is training for later :)

Akiho is a joke. Genki girl with a nerdy hobby? I could hear otaku unzipping their pants in unison from here. She'll move dakis by the boatload. Nice hair though. If R;N is anything like C;H and S;G, there are several more girls yet to be introduced so I suppose that this is only the tip of the pander iceberg. Also like the two previous installments in the Semicolon Saga, it would appear that there's going to be some kind of sci-fi conspiracy poised to complicate the innocuous premise. I welcome that here because there's no way that the premise as it is could support itself without simply becoming a lame harem anime with a mecha-themed hook, but man if
that girl at the end didn't look terrible. Was that a glowing power symbol on her forehead?
Fear that this is going to be more Chaos;Head than Steins;Gate rising.

I'll still stick with it as long as it doesn't become totally incomprehensible.
The genki girl is far from being 1 dimensionnal i can assure you there is more to it that "just" a genki girl..

Who said a super genki girl ? :p

Lain

Maybe she wouldn't have been in danger of being terminated if she hadn't used a lighter to threaten a cop standing in a puddle of gasoline.

I feel she was in danger of being terminated before that. As soon as they were pointing a gun at her, they forced her into the "need to be terminated" stage.

cajunator

Banned
Anything not too deformed. Let's see... for recent animes, there's SAO, Psycho-Pass, Medaka Box, Oda Nobuna, Tsuritama, Sakamichi no Apollon, Tonari no Kaibatsukun... etc.

I'm afraid to google this...

Eiken character design is a spectacular kind of awful.
It will blow your mind how horrible it is.
Its probably best you don't even research it because it will make you cry that such a thing exists.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Does Hidamari go from regular characters to the widefaces in like a characters imagination or something? Every time someone post a picture from that show it seems to go one or the other.
They're always wide but the wideness is variable

cajunator

Banned

Pretty much like a typical slice of life school comedy, where characters just go into SD form for no apparent reason.

yunoshocktj3ze1.gif

Don't think about it but just feel the wideness.

duckroll

I feel she was in danger of being terminated before that. As soon as they were pointing a gun at her, they forced her into the "need to be terminated" stage.

Nope. As long as the gun doesn't transform into a mouth (lol) it's still in Paralyzer mode.

Mecha

Medaka Box Abnormal - I'm only here for the fights, and I don't care about the plot or characters. So far it looks like it's going to deliver. Not much more to say.

Really? I can't say I have enjoyed one fight in the manga. Maybe they will be better in the anime?

Dresden

Really? I can't say I have enjoyed one fight in the manga. Maybe they will be better in the anime?

The flask arc has like... one good fight, so that's not too bad. They're teasing Kumagawa as well. Maybe it'll speed through the whole thing in six episodes!

What I perhaps find the most interesting about the first episode upon reflection is how the audience is deliberately shown just how logical, unbiased and "unfeeling" the Sybil system and in turn most of the agents are. For everyone aside from Akane, emotion doesn't seem enter into the equation. They are relying on the Psycho-Pass data pretty much without question and performing their duties as such. From a purely logical standpoint, this does make sense. But then this is why (as was pointed out by kayos90) Akane is so important...it'll be interesting to see how her relationship develops with the rest of CID develops and how she responds to future situations.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'm not certian, but I think you are being snarky.
and I love it. Are you Alex Navarro?
No, they're always pretty wide! At least by my standards.

On another note, was... was I just compared to a gaming journlolist. Please excuse me for a brief moment.

Articalys

Are you referring to
Zenkichi VS. Munakata
, perchance?
I'm looking forward to this for no other reason than the fact that
Hiroshi Kamiya was the voice for Zenkichi in the first Medaka Box VOMIC on Shueisha's site, but is Kei Munakata's voice actor for the anime
, so it'll be amusing to watch in that respect.

Grzi

Space Bros - 26 & 27

A nice set of episodes, a bit better than the previous few which were kind of too slow even for this shows standards. Not to say I didn't enjoy those episodes, I just think these were paced correctly and more interesting.

The new opening is great, I liked all three (Feel So Moon is the best one though), but I found the visuals in this one to be my favorite yet, so simple, but fitting.

Branduil

Field agents only tackle an actual crime as far as I know, so I don't think the "system" is as big a factor in their actual job as you assume. It's not like they walk around with the gun pointing it at random people. In this case, there was a clear crime being committed, and they were tackling that. How they resolve what happens to the victim is something which isn't their primary job. The easy method is that if her psycho-pass has exceeded a certain level, to knock her out and let the rest of the system take care of her. She might have been locked up, or rehabilitated, or whatever. We don't know how that works at this point, but I think the point is that it isn't really the business of the cops and that was just a loose end.
If Kogami did end up shooting her when she was threatening them with the lighter and the oil cans, she would probably have just been considered a casualty of threatening a police officer. Their mission wasn't to kill her, but it would just be a side effect.

Eh, the beginning of the episode made it sound like they were
going after someone just because his Psycho-Pass exceeded a certain level

cajunator

Banned
Space Bros - 26 & 27

A nice set of episodes, a bit better than the previous few which were kind of too slow even for this shows standards. Not to say I didn't enjoy those episodes, I just think these were paced correctly and more interesting.

The new opening is great, I liked all three (Feel So Moon is the best one though), but I found the visuals in this one to be my favorite yet, so simple, but fitting.

the new ending theme is alright but the one by Angela Aki was THE BEST.

Kurita

I don't know what to think about this new opening.
It's not as crazy as the two others... The song is great though.

/XX/

I'm looking forward to this for no other reason than the fact that
Hiroshi Kamiya was the voice for Zenkichi in the first Medaka Box VOMIC on Shueisha's site, but is Kei Munakata's voice actor for the anime
, so it'll be amusing to watch in that respect.
Did not know that! Who do you think makes the best sounding 'KA-!'s (カッ!)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom