• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risette

A Good Citizen
You have a pretty close description of how I feel about the show. akane is the only one actually questioning the system (as we might expect to be the case). Everybody else just buys into it 100% without giving a shit. the question is WHY?
Bad writing lol

Solune

Robotics;Notes 1

Wow, that was extremely bad. All what I wanted is an anime about high school kids building robots and I got something completely different. Kaito is also the worst MC of this season, the asshole did absolutely nothing in this episode. He just sat on his ass playing some dumb fighting game on his tablet while whining about everything and didn't show any initiative to do anything. Just awful. Dropped.
Well there's the issue already.
Anyway, all the shows aired and the ones I will be sticking with so far

My Little Monster
Kamisama Kiss
Chuunibyou

I was hoping to end up watching more shows but 3 is good enough for now.
Disturbing lack of Jojo's, survivor.
Or she could have fucked up by throwing the flask containing the sex monster and then said sex monster would start possessing hot ladies on the street who, after having hot sex with random strangers, would absorb said individuals' life essence through the miracle of orgasms.

Same shitty first day at the new job plot, more kinky.

I can't tell if this is a reference to Torchwood or not.

/XX/

You have a pretty close description of how I feel about the show. akane is the only one actually questioning the system (as we might expect to be the case). Everybody else just buys into it 100% without giving a shit. the question is WHY?
The criminal wondered why it affected him in first place... as for the agents, they probably accustomed to it out of necessity. When such system gives them another opportunity as the potential criminals they could be (as that very same system notes), I don't think they should be questioning anything and simply accept it, or they could end up badly themselves. Blind faith.

BluWacky

Okay, after Teekyu, Crunchyroll is just straight-up trolling now.

Crunchyroll to Stream "Lychee Light Club" Anime

Hahahaha. How on earth do Crunchyroll make money on this stuff? Presumably it's packaged in with something else - why would you actively seek out licensing this? I have no idea how the Crunchyroll subscription revenues are allocated but the licensors of Lychee must get about 0.000001p out of a £5 subscription for a show like this.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Robotics;Notes 01:

pHVxZl.jpg

Most unrealistic thing in the entire episode.

Man, this is so newtaminA in subject and execution. Otaku subject matter, high school club setting, super duper wish fulfillment female sidekick, the stage pretty much set for accumulating a harem. Kaito, the protagonist, is a pretty unlikable doofus obsessed with mobage who whines everything in an apathetic monotone and is so lazy and self-absorbed by how 1337 pwnz0rz he is at his shitty mecha ipad game that he worms his way out of virtually any request that others make of him with "I'll do it..........if you beat me at THIS GAME WHICH I AM INCREDIBLY AWESOME AT." Fuck you, Kaito.

Akiho is a joke. Genki girl with a nerdy hobby? I could hear otaku unzipping their pants in unison from here. She'll move dakis by the boatload. Nice hair though. If R;N is anything like C;H and S;G, there are several more girls yet to be introduced so I suppose that this is only the tip of the pander iceberg. Also like the two previous installments in the Semicolon Saga, it would appear that there's going to be some kind of sci-fi conspiracy poised to complicate the innocuous premise. I welcome that here because there's no way that the premise as it is could support itself without simply becoming a lame harem anime with a mecha-themed hook, but man if
that girl at the end didn't look terrible. Was that a glowing power symbol on her forehead?
Fear that this is going to be more Chaos;Head than Steins;Gate rising.

I'll still stick with it as long as it doesn't become totally incomprehensible.

duckroll

It's not so hard to understand. Ginoza is the only other inspector on the team. He is a career man. He doesn't care about other people, he's only interested in furthering his own promotion. Why would he want to make anything more complicated for himself? All the enforcers are under his supervision, so if they know he's an asshole, why would they do anything which would make him unhappy? He holds their leash. Akane is the only one who is new to this department's environment, so it's not surprising that she is the only one who will question how things are done.

Because people's posts describe what sounds bad. Pretty straightforward.

So if someone incorrectly describes a game mechanic for a game you never played would you also go into a thread to make a drive-by post based on that? You didn't contribute to his question in any worthwhile way, instead you might have confused him further by your ignorance of the subject.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Robotics;Notes 01:
Man, this is so newtaminA in subject and execution. Otaku subject matter, high school club setting, super duper wish fulfillment female sidekick, the stage pretty much set for accumulating a harem. Kaito, the protagonist, is a pretty unlikable doofus obsessed with mobage who whines everything in an apathetic monotone and is so lazy and self-absorbed by how 1337 pwnz0rz he is at his shitty mecha ipad game that he worms his way out of virtually any request that others make of him with "I'll do it..........if you beat me at THIS GAME WHICH I AM INCREDIBLY AWESOME AT." Fuck you, Kaito.

Yeah, that nonsense got old real quick.

Risette

A Good Citizen
So if someone incorrectly describes a game mechanic for a game you never played would you also go into a thread to make a drive-by post based on that? You didn't contribute to his question in any worthwhile way, instead you might have confused him further by your ignorance of the subject.
I answered the question he asked with the information he provided.

I'm clean.

sonicmj1

Because people's posts describe what sounds bad. Pretty straightforward.

I get it if you don't like the idea of Gen writing exposition where characters answer all the questions that nobody in the show actually raises. But there's really no reason for anyone else in that episode to question anything about how law enforcement works. The only character with speaking lines who isn't a cop is a criminal, and the police have a job to do.

I also think a lot of people are missing the bigger picture about how the police carry out their investigations in Psycho-Pass. It's not as random and indiscriminate as many seem to believe. Mental screening and trigger locks aside, it's not that different from how the police operate today.

There are totally legitimate criticisms of the writing that one can make in episode 1 of Psycho-Pass, but I don't think there's anything wrong with how it portrays the Sibyl System.

cajunator

Banned

-Minsc-

Just had the urge to re-watch Usagi Drop, two episodes in. I have stuff to do so I'd better walk away from the computer before I marathon the whole series.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I answered the question he asked with the information he provided.

I'm clean.

However, you answering the question without actually watching the show firsthand is just as useful as a person telling me how good a video game is without actually having played it.

cajunator

Banned
I get it if you don't like the idea of Gen writing exposition where characters answer all the questions that nobody in the show actually raises. But there's really no reason for anyone else in that episode to question anything about how law enforcement works. The only character with speaking lines who isn't a cop is a criminal, and the police have a job to do.

I also think a lot of people are missing the bigger picture about how the police carry out their investigations in Psycho-Pass. It's not as random and indiscriminate as many seem to believe. Mental screening and trigger locks aside, it's not that different from how the police operate today.

There are totally legitimate criticisms of the writing that one can make in episode 1 of Psycho-Pass, but I don't think there's anything wrong with how it portrays the Sibyl System.

The question that nags at me in Psycho Pass is really why do victims of crime seem to give off the same signature and then why are the victims targeted seemingly without hesitation as well? Unless the woman in question was also a criminal who just happened to be a victim of another.

Just had the urge to re-watch Usagi Drop, two episodes in. I have stuff to do so I'd better walk away from the computer before I marathon the whole series.

Usagi Drop is chicken soup for the anime soul. It is feel good, cute, lighthearted fluff. Its the show to watch when you are feeling down. To marathon it would kind of be a waste of the feels, though understandable.

fertygo

Akiho is a joke. Genki girl with a nerdy hobby?
What wrong with this exactly? I know cute chick that often win in gunpla building.. that far more realistic than psychic expert browsing image board
And I don't get how robot is simply otaku subject, yes they use anime as reasoning/motivation n such.. But their approach to "robot" in this is more to AIBO than Gundam. Robot like that is famous competition/research subject for student in school or college, no way you don't know about this eh?

kayos90

The question that nags at me in Psycho Pass is really why do victims of crime seem to give off the same signature and then why are the victims targeted seemingly without hesitation as well? Unless the woman in question was also a criminal who just happened to be a victim of another.

Psycho-Hazard essentially. The trauma affects the victim and in turn might yield criminal results.

/XX/

The "contagious" part made reference to how unstable people can act violently in situations like that they are involved in, out of revenge, extreme fear and more... this can cloud their minds and therefore that person could be a threat to others. The system interprets it as an immediate criminal behavior even if the situation is something very spontaneous, and that literalness in the analysis is the problem with those judgments.

Kurita

The "contagious" part made reference to how unstable people can act violently in situations like that they are involved in, out of revenge, extreme fear and more... this can cloud their minds and therefore that person could be a threat to others.

Few people seem to understand that for some reason.

sonicmj1

Why the victims are targeted when their signature goes up seems simple enough. For the Enforcers, they're not going to get in serious trouble if they do what their gun tells them to do. Following the most basic protocol is less likely to get you in trouble than making difficult judgment calls. It's the Inspector's job to make sure that force is properly applied.

As for the logic behind Psycho Hazard, I can only speculate now, but basically the idea is that when people are confronted with deviant, threatening behavior, they can become capable of doing transgressive things that they'd never consider before in order to save themselves. Think of people trampling each other to escape from an imagined fire in a crowded theater, or the flight-or-fight response that could drive a peaceful man to kill. This registers on the Sibyl System as potentially dangerous.

But a person's Psycho-Pass isn't a fixed number, and it isn't a crime to have a high Psycho-Pass, even if it'll attract attention. As long as the victim get appropriate mental health treatment, she should be able to return to normal society as soon as she's calmed down.

duckroll

An interesting point to note: In the world of Psycho-Pass, the Criminal Investigation Department of the Public Safety Bureau falls under the Ministry of Health.

Jex

If we're already generating this much discussion after a single episode I can safely say that Pyscho Pass has succeeded.

kayos90

An interesting point to note: In the world of Psycho-Pass, the Criminal Investigation Department of the Public Safety Bureau falls under the Ministry of Health.

That would make sense since it deals with the psycho analysis and status of a person.

cajunator

Banned
I'd say I acquired that taste pretty quickly with Madoka :). I haven't watched any Hidamari Sketch though. Kinda want to now.

You should! If you loved the Madoka designs you will totally fall for the ones in Hidamari. Adorable doesn't begin to describe that show.

Psycho-Hazard essentially. The trauma affects the victim and in turn might yield criminal results.

No, I understand that, but I mean like, the innocent victim was nearly terminated. Somehow this is just seen as perfectly OK. So like if a person is completely innocent but becomes a victim of a violent crime, its suddenly ok to just kill that person along with the attacker. Its just kind of fucked up and doesnt really make sense to me. Im sure there is an explanation for it that we haven't seen, but its just disturbing that such a system goes on largely unquestioned. But then again, it might be very highly questioned, and the detractors somehow repressed, or else those detractors might be targeted themselves for not believing in it. So many possibilities here.

sonicmj1

You should! If you loved the Madoka designs you will totally fall for the ones in Hidamari. Adorable doesn't begin to describe that show.

No, I understand that, but I mean like, the innocent victim was nearly terminated. Somehow this is just seen as perfectly OK. So like if a person is completely innocent but becomes a victim of a violent crime, its suddenly ok to just kill that person along with the attacker. Its just kind of fucked up and doesnt really make sense to me. Im sure there is an explanation for it that we haven't seen, but its just disturbing that such a system goes on largely unquestioned. But then again, it might be very highly questioned, and the detractors somehow repressed, or else those detractors might be targeted themselves for not believing in it. So many possibilities here.

Maybe she wouldn't have been in danger of being terminated if she hadn't used a lighter to threaten a cop standing in a puddle of gasoline.

Medaka Box: Abnormal 1

That might be the biggest troll OP since Narutaru. Gainax are massive jerks.

Myouga's number language is even more ridiculous when spoken. Fine with me though, because the fight was fun. And it started not even a minute in.

They covered 3 chapters here, so I imagine that will be the standard if they want to get through the entire Flask Plan arc. Should be fast-paced like I expected.

kayos90

You have to understand that Psycho-Pass' world is very dystopian-esque. Nearly everyone has become desensitized and conformed to what the world is. The Enforcers are there to execute what orders are given to them and this is why I think Akane is so important. This goes back to a lot of philosophy where practicality and actual theoretical concepts collide. Here, the practicality trumps what Akane has learned and when the time comes to pull the trigger in a given situation, it's completely acceptable to do that which is dictated by the world. Follow the rules of the Sibyl.

cajunator

Banned
Maybe she wouldn't have been in danger of being terminated if she hadn't used a lighter to threaten a cop standing in a puddle of gasoline.

Well that's true. I suppose that would do it yeah.
So then it just becomes that she would be a victim of highly unfortunate circumstances.
I seriously hope a system of this kind never exists in the real world.

kayos90

So then it just becomes that she would be a victim of highly unfortunate circumstances.

You should not read dystopian works then. lol. Might scare you.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 062
So that's where the Space Pirates girls got their costume ideas. :p

Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb - 02

SHAFTGODS
Black and yellow!

That's strangely impressive. lol

I'd probably buy a Gintoki one if I were so inclined.

Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb 02:

Together at last.

And apparently this stuff is actually real. Wut?
Meat flavoured candy isn't that weird is it?!

/XX/

Yep. The fundamental problem here is relying on devices that can't comprehend the humanity, the nuances in context, and judge like that without hesitation, without feelings.

cajunator

Banned
You should not read dystopian works then. lol. Might scare you.

Well I've seen dystopian movies and enjoyed them quite a bit.
The whole idea of a dystopian futuristic world is pretty fascinating to me. especially when it explores the way characters think in such a world and why they allow it to occur. But I guess at that point they are just resigned to whatever fate society holds for them since they can do little about it.

Dresden

Don't worry, we're already heading to that kind of a world. Armed repression of protesters in Anaheim, blacked out by the press. Installation of a global monitoring network. Interception of every communication you make over the network. Only thing left is for facial recognition tech to become advanced enough that they can develop predictive algorithms for violent potential in citizens. By then we'll be living in Ballard world where the world goes into the shitter while we're obsessed with the heartbeats of a celebrity--or maybe it already happened.

kayos90

Don't worry, we're already heading to that kind of a world. Armed repression of protesters in Anaheim, blacked out by the press. Installation of a global monitoring network. Interception of every communication you make over the network. Only thing left is for facial recognition tech to become advanced enough that they can develop predictive algorithms for violent potential in citizens. By then we'll be living in Ballard world where the world goes into the shitter while we're obsessed with the heartbeats of a celebrity--or maybe it already happened.

Quite Dresden. We're being monitored right now. We have to stay on the DL.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
What wrong with this exactly? I know cute chick that often win in gunpla building.. that far more realistic than psychic expert browsing image board
And I don't get how robot is otaku subject, yes they use anime as reasoning/motivation n such.. But their approach to "robot" in this is more to AIBO than Gundam. Robot like that is famous competition/research subject for student in school or college, no way you don't know about this eh?

Actual robotics competitions generally don't involve twenty-meter-tall replicas of anime mecha. The depiction of the subject matter (namely, hobby robotics) doesn't reflect our current reality, or, rather, in the future envisioned by the series, interest in hobby robotics is largely fueled by the popularity of mecha anime and so the aesthetics of the hobby have been altered to be more palatable to otaku taste.

It's a world where a kids' mecha anime is the most popular show on television internationally, video games about anime-style mecha are popular, and the "robot boom" mentioned in the episode seems to have a direct correlation with this international explosion of interest in the mecha genre. A show about realistic modern-day hobby/competitive robotics would be awesome, but the main characters in Robotics;Notes don't appear to be interested in the hobby for the same reasons that modern-day robotics enthusiasts are.

About Akiho, cute nerds exist, but they're almost never not wish fulfillment in anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom