• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb 02:

jKTmjl.jpg

Together at last.

And apparently this stuff is actually real. Wut?

Field agents only tackle an actual crime as far as I know, so I don't think the "system" is as big a factor in their actual job as you assume. It's not like they walk around with the gun pointing it at random people. In this case, there was a clear crime being committed, and they were tackling that. How they resolve what happens to the victim is something which isn't their primary job. The easy method is that if her psycho-pass has exceeded a certain level, to knock her out and let the rest of the system take care of her. She might have been locked up, or rehabilitated, or whatever. We don't know how that works at this point, but I think the point is that it isn't really the business of the cops and that was just a loose end.
If Kogami did end up shooting her when she was threatening them with the lighter and the oil cans, she would probably have just been considered a casualty of threatening a police officer. Their mission wasn't to kill her, but it would just be a side effect.

Good points...maybe I'll go back and watch this again before the second episode to try to clear up some points in my head, specifically the dynamics of the Sybil system.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
School Days 11
The worst thing is I'm meeting a friend later and I know this show will be at the back of my mind. Well only one episode to go. Lets hope it really is a bad end for all because t=out of the regular faces there literally is no one left to like.
The yandere hour approaches.

Finish it now!

cajunator

Banned
You guys havent found any good Lan figurines yet have you?
All Ive seen so far is "beach queen" ones. I want one of her in the normal outfit.
Preferably doing her "wan" pose. Madoka going MARU is optional.

Lain

Psycho-Pass 1

The way the episode started was nice, tough I didn't like that song much (the ed was great instead).
I don't like the type of worls this show is in, but it was a pretty interesting watch thanks to the characters involved, or should I just say thanks to Akane? She's a newbie and the episode managed to show that perfectly. At the same time, she's the one that appears as the most "human" there. given how she shows some understanding for the victim and what she was put through. Plus, I find her pretty nice to look at.

All in all, I'll be waiting for episode 2.

cajunator

Banned
Psycho-Pass 1

The way the episode started was nice, tough I didn't like that song much (the ed was great instead).
I don't like the type of worls this show is in, but it was a pretty interesting watch thanks to the characters involved, or should I just say thanks to Akane? She's a newbie and the episode managed to show that perfectly. At the same time, she's the one that appears as the most "human" there. given how she shows some understanding for the victim and what she was put through. Plus, I find her pretty nice to look at.

You have a pretty close description of how I feel about the show. akane is the only one actually questioning the system (as we might expect to be the case). Everybody else just buys into it 100% without giving a shit. the question is WHY?

Yeah no kidding. gonna be soooooooo cute!

Oh also, I wen't to the post office to pick up the package with Kyoko Sakura figure in it <3

Now I have all 5 of the Madoka Magica girls :D

Pics of the whole group to come.

You guys havent found any good Lan figurines yet have you?
All Ive seen so far is "beach queen" ones. I want one of her in the normal outfit.
Preferably doing her "wan" pose. Madoka going MARU is optional.

Very jealous of the Madoka figures...can't wait for the pics!

Yeah, the only Lan I've seen is the beach queens one. Really disappointing...Alter and/or GSC needs to get on this.

You have a pretty close description of how I feel about the show. akane is the only one actually questioning the system (as we might expect to be the case). Everybody else just buys into it 100% without giving a shit. the question is WHY?

I dont think being on the frontlines is the right place to be questioning the system, shouldnt she have stayed in academia to be doing that?

-Minsc-

Psycho-Pass 1

Awesome, Funimation is streaming this so I'll be able to watch it. Now, give me Jo Jo!

Articalys

Also, it sounds like they gave conflicting info about Nisemonogatari earlier, since their stance on it has reverted back to "streaming rights only" for now, though I'm pretty sure it'll be reconfirmed for a disc release at some point in the future.

jman2050

You're almost there BGBW. We're here for you.

In other news, I stayed up until 4am watching Toradora!, and now it's 9am and work won't leave me alone even though I'm on vacation and now I can't get back to sleep.
Living the dream.

We welcome all Toradorabros with open arms!

Maedhros

Hidamari character designs looks like a steaming pile of shit... not even Nichijou looks that... strange? What's the deal with this character design?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Hell no. Kirito is the worst part of it. I cant think of a single defining trait he has other than "hero archetype". Its difficult to get into a show when you don't even care what happens to the main character of the show.

If it makes you feel any better Kirito isn't so bad in the LN because of his monologues and his thoughts. None of which make it into the show sadly.

Westlo

If it makes you feel any better Kirito isn't so bad in the LN because of his monologues and his thoughts. None of which make it into the show sadly.

Isn't that the case for the majority of LN adaptations though? They always seem to cut out the internal monologues of characters.... probably a good thing in most cases though lol.

Hell no. Kirito is the worst part of it. I cant think of a single defining trait he has other than "hero archetype". Its difficult to get into a show when you don't even care what happens to the main character of the show.
I don't think I've seen you get this uppity about a show before. SAO is a truly groundbreaking work of art.

kayos90

Isn't that the case for the majority of LN adaptations though? They always seem to cut out the internal monologues of characters.... probably a good thing in most cases though lol.

Yeah. It's something that can't be avoided due to differences in the two mediums. I'm just saying that Kirito is much better characterized in the LN. That's all.

kayos90

So there's a new synopsis and a trailer for Accel World OVA 2. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3WZoVk5LvI&feature=youtu.be&noredirect=1

Unlike the OVA #1 that surely introduced an entire new concept with the Accel Assault. On the OVA #2, Haruyuki didn't pass a medical examination program and is forced to make changes with a diet camp as first suggestion. However, Kurasaki Fuuko suggests a secret place that is supposed to be a better solution ~ A Mixed Bathing Spa!

Vacation;Onsen comes bundled with the game Accel World Stage 02: - "Kasoku no Chouten" The Apex of Acceleration which is TBA for 2013.

What the fuck? I didn't watch it at all but from the synopsis it seemed to be a sort of generic children's shounen.
I guess it's more like Battle Royale? Is it tasteful enough or is it just trying to be shocking?

Definitely not shounen. The manga is filled with gore and sex. It's a gamer Battle Royale pretty much.

Probably not tasteful, but I'm not entirely sure just how you portray
explicit rape
tastefully. It's still used as drama. IMO, it's effective nonetheless, even if a few scenes are a bit much (though they'll probably cut them out/tone them down for the anime).

/XX/

I wonder what brand are those headphones?
Paging Geneijin!
I can help, I can help:

Panasonic RP-HTX7-C1 - Headphones - Overview
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/RP-HTX7-C1

I guess that is one other thing I've been thinking about...just how much autonomy do the field agents have with regards to the system? Certainly, it is their choice whether or not to pull the trigger, but what consequences are there for their disregard of the system's "judgements"? As you say, I am sure this will be addressed but I'm interested to see more of the dynamics of the relationship between the agents and the system.
Yeah! For a newcomer, until it adapts to a situation like this as every other agent does, conflicts of interest could arise, and the curiosity of knowing why the system acts like that or who ultimately controls it could be a 'line of work' the series could go with, out of that struggle to understand it. Or maybe not, and the central parts of this story are others not revolving around the system itself, and only go with what the protagonist characters, the agents, do in their routinary jobs and the society they live in and protect.

I personally think the Sibyl System, that subjugates so clearly and randomly the citizens, is going to breed important plot-lines that will come throughout it, instead of simply overseeing procedurals or what criminal acts actually happen on this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom