• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nichijou Episodes 1-5

Holy shit this is fucking funny. I rarely ever legitimately laugh from movies, tv shows, anime or games but this is getting me to laugh constantly. Everything just happens out of no where and it's all so ridiculous. If the rest of the series is this good it'll be one of my favourite animes.

What other anime is this funny? Any recommendations?

I was surprised by it aswel. I thought it was funnier than Lucky Star.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Say I Love You 2

I'm really glad that the manga was so front-loaded with, well, issues because it basically sets up the perfect 1-cour show. In and out, without the "bullshit" (as some would call it) of the shoujo manga.

And it's weird, given the news recently that a girl in Canada committed suicide in part because people were harassing her because she flashed someone on a webcam, that this episode would deal with a girl having body image issues with her breast size.

I think I've watched so much shitty anime that when breast size jokes have basically meant nothing to me. Heck, Hidamari Sketch did their own breast size thing in the last episode, with the girls all wanting to grope Miyako in the bath. So it's weird to have not only a character be self-conscious about it, but for it to be framed in the context of bullying.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how they depict the next arc anyway. At least it seems to be living up to my hype.

Oh yeah, the show continues to have weird shot placement at times, but I quite like this transition:
D1JMNl.jpg

B3xngl.jpg
It's a nice shift from the tight and intimate, almost claustrophobic shot of the scene to the wider shot that maintains the intimacy of the moment (especially with the framing), but lets the characters breath.

Nichijou fin

My verdict: This was great, I thought I wouldn't like it but I was wrong. Great characters(outside some supports), funny jokes, beautiful artstyle.

7/10 deserved. I hope I can get this on bluray.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 065

Surely I'm not the only one who finds it weird that everyone pairs Charlotte with Julian? She's like five or six.

Pretty uneventful episode otherwise. Too much hesitation from Yang or Reinhard to take a move. The political aspect remains very tense, but there's really not much to talk about.
Except grudge sex, natch.

cajunator

Banned
Say I Love You 2

I'm really glad that the manga was so front-loaded with, well, issues because it basically sets up the perfect 1-cour show. In and out, without the "bullshit" (as some would call it) of the shoujo manga.

And it's weird, given the news recently that a girl in Canada committed suicide in part because people were harassing her because she flashed someone on a webcam, that this episode would deal with a girl having body image issues with her breast size.

I think I've watched so much shitty anime that when breast size jokes have basically meant nothing to me. Heck, Hidamari Sketch did their own breast size thing in the last episode, with the girls all wanting to grope Miyako in the bath. So it's weird to have not only a character be self-conscious about it, but for it to be framed in the context of bullying.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how they depict the next arc anyway. At least it seems to be living up to my hype.

Oh yeah, the show continues to have weird shot placement at times, but I quite like this transition:

It's a nice shift from the tight and intimate, almost claustrophobic shot of the scene to the wider shot that maintains the intimacy of the moment (especially with the framing), but lets the characters breath.

This looks like something I would like too.

Uchip

Banned
HxH 2011 51

*standing ovation*

This remake has well and truly surpassed the original run with this spectacular episode. I never would've guessed it after the rather tepid start but... damn. Next episode's gonna be that fight so I hope y'all are ready.

yeah
Anyone still putting off the remake needs to get in on this

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 065

Surely I'm not the only one who finds it weird that everyone pairs Charlotte with Julian? She's like five or six.

Pretty uneventful episode otherwise. Too much hesitation from Yang or Reinhard to take a move. The political aspect remains very tense, but there's really not much to talk about.

Except grudge sex, natch.

Oskar von Reuenthal, the guy who could've been an emperor, if only he was born in a different era. I love his voice and the way he talks.

Articalys

Oh for god's sake, that's just the weird way Crunchyroll listed the two different polls with their total vote counts, hence why I rephrased it when I quoted them.

Kazzy

K-ON!! - Episode 14

Daw, Mugi just can't catch a break! Between wanting to get hit (a little weird, admittedly), its pointed out just how much on the periphery of the group she is, or at least perceives herself to be. It was kind of telling, that although they all hang out a whole lot within the confines of the school, Mugi herself states that she rarely sees the others on the outside. I don't know, it struck me as an odd moment, because it's not like they aren't all good friends after all, but I always made the assumption that it extended far beyond what we actually see within the episodes. And what little hints had been dropped about her background previously, would suggest that she is trying her best to conform, so actually seeing how desperately she was to tag along with Ritsu, just made me empathize with her that little bit more.

As for the cute quotient (if you're keeping track), it handily gets met here! What between Mugi being...well Mugi, and Yui philosophizing on what it means to eat cake, they're pretty much grinding its essence into a fine powder at this point. All of which meets its logical conclusion in this piece of artistry. And the best gag makes a triumphant return!
Fantastic episode all round, and with Mugi as its focus, why wouldn't it be? This was almost two seasons in the making, and it didn't disappoint

The power of friendship prevails! Mostly.

Mandoric

Banned
K - 02

I think they toned down the filter this episode, you could definitely see more colors and the animation continued to be really good, so that's a plus. I really liked some of the backgrounds too.
The episode itself was stupid as fuck, spent on a boring chase with one mildly entertaining action scene. I'm sure there will be great action later, so hopefully I'll stick around long enough to see them (and why wouldn't I, having watched Campione!, Estetica and Arcana Famiglia this past season :().

Oh, and I laughed at the
eyelids
joke at the end :(
OKAY I KNOW IT'S STUPID BUT IT MADE ME LAUGH SORRY GUYS I FELT SO BAD FOR LAUGHING BUT I JUST DID

If they tone down K enough, will they successfully invent the concept of Chuu1?

Instro

Zetsuen 2

I thought this was more enjoyable than the first episode. There's still all the Shakespeare quoting, but the ongoing plot seemed less bogged down this week.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wait... how come you, Metrotab, are still Junior Member when Syrinx is a Member already having joined a month later and having a third of your posts?
I know a bloke who's been here since 2010 and is still a junior.

Sword Art Online - 15

Best girl has finally arrived!
You're a braver man than I. I was going to make a comment on the PJs but decided to keep it to the IRC.

The second season was aired in 2012 though. It's funny and stuff, worth trying out.
It's so good it was ahead of its time.

Sword Art Online continues its trend of being the worst fucking anime ever made. Congrats!
After my experience over the past 12 days I can't hate on SAO as much anymore. A Gary Stu protagonist and silly plot holes (which can be enjoyable to dissect) have nothing on M.C.Dick.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If I actually drop some shows, I can maybe be caught up
Oh who am I kidding. Yeah, probably in a year.
Or just do the cosmic thing and watch all the episodes over the next few days!

After my experience over the past 12 days I can't hate on SAO as much anymore. A Gary Stu protagonist and silly plot holes (which can be enjoyable to dissect) have nothing on M.C.Dick.
SAO is horrible, horrible stuff man. :p

I'll deff. check this out.
This looks like something I would like too.
Yep! Like I said before, it's nothing really "new". It's just new (to me anyway) in the context of animu.

/XX/

I'm not sure of giving credit for this information without a confirmation first, but apparently the MAGI (マギ) animation series has been licensed in Europe (if pan-European or continental Europe only, I don't know yet).

Where there are mountains, there are also uncanny valleys.
http://www.abload.de/img/jinruiqnk8f.gif

Don't kill with my childhood memories!
I'm sorry for showing you this (well, at least wonzo seems to like it. He has accustomed his senses to this kind of 'works' after Kingdom), but I'm more sorry for those that worked previously on such nice series that ended up spawning this derivative... 'things'.

Holy shit at JoJo's OP. Oh my God, that was so good.
Inspiring people at Kamikaze Douga! And they sure attracted talent because... who wouldn't want to work with them after seeing their recruitment information video? This one:

神風動画2012年求人について About 2012 Kamikazedouga Recruitment Information - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=0ZUuceIhL2c

wonzo

Banned
Say I Love You 1

Hmm, not sure what to say about this really. So far it's started out with that shoujo cliche gloomy loner girl attracting attention from the most popular bishie in the school plot. Still,
they don't usually start with the hot bishie kissing the girl to protect her from a creepy rapist
so it's got that going for it. I'm pretty surprised that this was produced by Zexcs as it actually looks pretty damn good!

yuu kobayashi as the mum owns and that cg preview was hilariously awful. lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Say I Love You 1
Hmm, not sure what to say about this really. So far it's started out with that shoujo cliche gloomy loner girl attracting attention from the most popular bishie in the school plot. Still,
they don't usually start with the hot bishie kissing the girl to protect her from a creepy rapist
so it's got that going for it. I'm pretty surprised that this was produced by Zexcs as it actually looks pretty damn good!

yuu kobayashi as the mum owns and that cg preview was hilariously awful. lol
Wow, I totally forgot that Kobayashi was in that first episode. lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
1. School Days' Makoto Itou
They chose wisely.

31. YuruYuri's Akarin
They chose poorly.

Hito isnt a mod anymore.
Sad times.

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/1350201914899jwsvz.gif[/IMG]

soon...
Is this the first big cinema release with a futa couple?

That'll teach you to have safe search off.
Life in the fast lane my friend.

Nichijou OVA

This was not good, jokes were not funny, it was short and... whats up with the artstyle? Ugly compared with the show.
Wasn't this done before the main show as a kind of demo tape? They clearly learnt from the errors by the time the main show came on.

SAO is horrible, horrible stuff man. :p
I'm 15 episodes in. I can't give up now. While the show may not be the best thing ever, I can at least get enjoyment out of it but having fun with it, just like my School Days reviews at least allowed me to get a bit of joy from the whole ordeal.

cajunator

Banned
They chose wisely.

They chose poorly.

Sad times.

Is this the first big cinema release with a futa couple?

Life in the fast lane my friend.

Wasn't this done before the main show as a kind of demo tape? They clearly learnt from the errors by the time the main show came on.

I'm 15 episodes in. I can't give up now. While the show may not be the best thing ever, I can at least get enjoyment out of it but having fun with it, just like my School Days reviews at least allowed me to get a bit of joy from the whole ordeal.

I just ended up skipping a few episodes when it was being overly stupid, so Im caught up now. Although its still pretty stupid. At least its going a new direction.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
School Days is objectively better than SAO though. Unless SAO has a similar ending... then all will be redeemed. :p

I just noticed that women hate Gintama's Tsuki. Maybe it's because she's the one woman in the cast that has any chemistry whatsoever with Gintoki. lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Metrotab

Banned
The election fever in Belgium made me realise politics never really makes an appearance in anime. Aren't political jokes popular in Japan? Or maybe I just don't notice them.

The male poll is all wrong, how dare they list a kurokos basketball player and even worst, our favorite database, Satoshi Fukube, tied with Houtarou for best hyouka characters, and Kirito, ugh. The female poll I agree with all points, should have thrown Flay up there too.

Though it works if they litrally meant male on male, for insert self shipping.

BluWacky

The election fever in Belgium made me realise politics never really makes an appearance in anime. Aren't political jokes popular in Japan? Or maybe I just don't notice them.

I believe Joshiraku features political jokes (and I would guess that Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei does too?), but most anime really aren't targeted towards an audience that's interested in that kind of thing. Anime comedy is generally about parodies or sex comedy stuff; there's not really much of a place for political jokes.

/XX/

Waiting for an adaptation of EAGLE! Anyway, some just prefer to look the other way... but there has been a presence of this on long running slice-of-life series as a topic to caricature, like in Shin-chan, for example; mostly local politicians being portrayed as the typical liar scum while making campaign in those usual minivans with megaphones. Of course, Shinnosuke puts them in their place!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
But... without being Junior'ed? Not enough posts?
He's on 200 posts at the mo. One of those full time lurker folk. Just thought I'd add a little fuel to the mystery.

School Days is objectively better than SAO though. Unless SAO has a similar ending... then all will be redeemed. :p

I will agree that the ending of SOA Act 1 was nowhere near a good as School Days'. Mostly because the person whose death we should be rooting for was hardly there. His despicable acts just became background noise and technically we never see him do any of it (while he is responsible for the game, he doesn't technically kill anyone directly). School Days on the other hand almost punishes us with despicable acts by the minute so we become emotionally involved. With School Days you are almost an active participant, with Sword Art Online you're logged in as a spectator. But on the flip side that is probably why I can't feel any strong hatred for SAO. Even my joke hate posts came off as half hearted. My School Days review may be a tad exaggerated, but they did reflect how I truly felt.

Whatever. I'm going to cleanse my palette with a good show called Space Brothers.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
We had Hillary, Obama, and McCain in the recent Yatterman revival, but that's the only one I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom