• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

I'm bored right now and football doesn't start for another half-hour, so I might as well post my impressions from the first 11 episodes of Gunslinger Girl.

This is a pretty cool and interesting show. I'm not sure how I feel about the basic premise, but I like seeing the relationships the cyborgs have with their handlers and each other develop. My favorite would probably be the one between Claes and her old handler, seeing them go fishing together and him giving her her old glasses.
Then he died, leaving her all his books. :(.

It can be pretty jarring to see these sweet cyborg girls turn into ruthless killing machines. The scene where
Rico is about to shoot the hotel busboy she had met earlier, all while saying "I am sorry" without changing her facial expression
sticks out in particular.

Even though I could see it coming from a mile away, the scene where
Elsa shoots her handler (I can't seem to remember most of the handler's names for some reason) was pretty intense. Like I said, it was pretty obvious that it was a murder-suicide, but it still pretty impactful, especially after seeing the way Elsa's handler treated her. Henrietta reenacting what happened was also pretty intense.

One thing in particular that stands out about this show is the score. It's great, and goes perfectly with the slow-paced yet tense mood of the show.

Overall, I enjoyed watching this show, and will finish it at some point. I'm trying to work in other anime right now (I've posted impressions of From The New World already), but I'll make time to see how this concludes.

/XX/

Supposedly it got decent ratings (it was in the daytime after all) or at least enough for NHK to put up a re-airing of the Director's Cut this year.
They're selling a Director's Cut Box late November.
There is hope! This series will be a late bloomer, like NGE!

Westlo

NGE sold 111k+ first run, rereleases added another 60k.

Asuna is cute and seem to be able to hold her own with a sword (I see why she's on so many doujinshi's covers), so I don't yet understand why you guys dislike her so much!

Welcome to TeamAsuna bro!

And here I thought the new scheduled airing could help them (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31464455&postcount=3810). Wasn't there a spike in sales because of it?

Nope, flop series is flop.

Grzi

Sword Art Online - 15

Well, that was pretty bad.
It started out okay, the sword fighting was kind of cool, the 12-year old kid in me certainly enjoyed it, but then the hospital scene happened. And then the imouto reveal. And then the end.

Wow.

Also, how are you gonna have a fight sequence comprised mostly of stills, and then have a scene of a guy smelling a comatose girls' hair with some nice animation in the same episode? Damn you, SAO.

trejo

Sister Art Online 15

I'm thinking it might be time to finally drop this.

q9enb.jpg

K-ON!! - Episode 14

Daw, Mugi just can't catch a break! Between wanting to get hit (a little weird, admittedly), its pointed out just how much on the periphery of the group she is, or at least perceives herself to be. It was kind of telling, that although they all hang out a whole lot within the confines of the school, Mugi herself states that she rarely sees the others on the outside. I don't know, it struck me as an odd moment, because it's not like they aren't all good friends after all, but I always made the assumption that it extended far beyond what we actually see within the episodes. And what little hints had been dropped about her background previously, would suggest that she is trying her best to conform, so actually seeing how desperately she was to tag along with Ritsu, just made me empathize with her that little bit more.

As for the cute quotient (if you're keeping track), it handily gets met here! What between Mugi being...well Mugi, and Yui philosophizing on what it means to eat cake, they're pretty much grinding its essence into a fine powder at this point. All of which meets its logical conclusion in this piece of artistry. And the best gag makes a triumphant return!
Fantastic episode all round, and with Mugi as its focus, why wouldn't it be? This was almost two seasons in the making, and it didn't disappoint

The power of friendship prevails! Mostly.

Yeah, they imply that Mugi lead a sheltered life as a kid. Saying that they need weeks in advance appointments to come over to the house, always on trips to Finland and other places. In the manga they say that she only had one friend growing up, who was a daughter of one of her family's servants, and had to have her buy Mugi manga for her because she wasn't allowed to have manga.
This is also how she developed love for yuri
It does make you want to sympathize with her.

/XX/

NGE sold 111k+ first run, rereleases added another 60k.
I was talking more about TV ratings (one-digit ratings for the first run, until the very late episodes, were considered disappointing by TV TOKYO), as the physical format releases were phased-in more gradually than in the present times... but you are right! This are fairly recent numbers:

「新世紀エヴァンゲリオン」VHS/LD/DVD 売上:ANNEX(エヴァンゲリオン)
http://annexeva.anisen.tv/e359825.html

Haha! /XX/, your presence always makes this thread better.
Until someone more reasonable, like Westlo, comes with the reality check:

Nope, flop series is flop.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Supposedly it got decent ratings (it was in the daytime, after all) or at least enough for NHK to put up a re-airing of the Director's Cut this year.
They're selling a Director's Cut Box late November.

Isn't it kind of a reverse Director's Cut? How many can you think of that remove half of the original material?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Director's Chop, then?

I'm not well-versed in the terminology of the biz. Term described through NHK-E's mouth, not mine.

Even though I'm film illiterate I know that Director's Cuts don't have to strictly add material. I was just pointing out how, if it is actually being called a Director's Cut, that this is a pretty extreme example of one

(and furthermore it's really a fake Director's Cut anyway if it's just being chopped down to fit within a single cour and the omissions aren't for artistic reasons)

Ultimadrago

Until someone more reasonable, like Westlo, comes with the reality check

No matter.

Frankly, I'd rather hear any type of "reality check" come from your, much greater, informative posts ( with a friendly joke on the side or without)
than the common brain dead comment.

Ultimadrago

Even though I'm film illiterate I know that Director's Cuts don't have to strictly add material. I was just pointing out how, if it is actually being called a Director's Cut, that this is a pretty extreme example of one

(and furthermore it's really a fake Director's Cut anyway if it's just being chopped down to fit within a single cour and the omissions aren't for artistic reasons)

Director's Convenient Single-Cour Chop doesn't roll off the tongue.

Ixion Saga DT 2
tumblr_mbw9rddcga1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Loved the Erecpyle D, ED, great pose for Variation, and even KT there. Episode made me laugh so much at so many times
poor Erec-samas balls and going unbalanced all the time

Music, during the initial portion of
Variation smoking out Kon and crew
sounded really gamey and well fitting. I think its one of my favorite tracks so far.

Maedhros

Medaka Box Abnormal 01

Wow, they did it... they translated that code language. I was wondering if that would work in anime format. And it works. So good...

The battles are nice too. I'm in for these.

Funimation licensed Wolf Children Ame and Yuki film.

North American anime distributor Funimation announced at its New York Comic Con panel on Sunday that it licensed the anime film Wolf Children Ame and Yuki and television anime series Toriko. Funimation is planning theatrical and home media releases for Wolf Children in 2013, while it will release the first dual-language Toriko DVD set on January 8, 2013. Toriko will have an English dub with Ian Sinclair as Toriko and Joshua Grelle as Komatsu.

Toriko not on BD :( but Ill get it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom