• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

The fact that that site posted that news story four hours ago and not a single English-language news site has picked up on it yet makes me want to kill myself.

And ANN still hasn't posted ANYTHING about the Watanabe news either! What the fuck are they doing?!

NewFresh

Everyone!

It says Mushishi OR Detroit Metal City sequel could be possible, but he is strongly hinting towards Mushishi. (The fact that Yoshihiko Umakoshi is involved is what they are basing this off of)

Now if you will excuse me....

CBIkP.gif

What do I think of or what does AnimeGAF think of it?

AnimeGAF thinks it's a good show but they don't like of the main characters, Tanabe. They'll advise you to watch a number of episodes before making up your mind on the series as a whole because the tone of show changes over time.

It's a slow burn, but the feels are so good and the character progression is great by the end.

Not to mention they spent a shitload of research on how to build the technology of the world they presented to make it seem believable. Do watch it, it's fascinating not only for the characters, but for the depth and meticulous attention to detail of the setting. They're not very forward with explaining it to you in most sections with words but prefer to present it visually and let the art and animation carry that part.

So goooooood, and I really loved all the characters by the end.

Sounds good enough. I'll watch it.

Oh, goodness me.

EDIT - on reading the article, I don't think this is actually confirmed. It was announced that they were making a sequel to either Mushishi or Detroit Metal City, and the article has concluded it's likely to be Mushishi because Nagahama and Umakoshi both worked on the first season. While I think that's a reasonable conclusion to reach, I don't think we can say it's confirmed yet.

You can't ground my hype! Even in the unlikely event that Umakoshi is character designing for a new Detroit Metal City for some strange reason, him working on a series outside Toei is reason enough to get excited.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
...any gif except that one, preferably.
What's wrong with that gif? It's not even the usual one.

Nichijou 7,980 yen/2 episodes -- Sales: 2500 copies/volume
Strike Witches 2 9,240 yen/2 episodes -- Sales: 13,000 copies/volume
ib0S5KpJ83soYs.gif

Well don't even know what to say to that.

94sbr.jpg

Sure, I'll make you the main character in the harem of AnimeGAF. Of course everybody is tsundere.
Why would I want to be in your novel? Baka!

El Sloth

Banned
Everyone!

It says Mushishi OR Detroit Metal City sequel could be possible, but he is strongly hinting towards Mushishi. (The fact that Yoshihiko Umakoshi is involved is what they are basing this off of)

Now if you will excuse me....

http://i.imgur.com/CBIkP.gif[/IG][/QUOTE]

This.

It's a pretty decent assumption to make, I think. I say, stay hyped.

Jex

[From The New World] - 3

My initial reaction to this episode was rather negative because I thought it was poorly constructed but I think that's a little bit too harsh, perhaps it would be fairer to say that it was rather lazier in it's cinematography than previous episodes. I won't get into too much detail about the particular shots that I thought were lazy but perhaps I'll get around to it when I have more time. An easier thing to mention is the way scene transitions worked - there weren't any. Instead they just used the "fade to black" transition a number of times.

Anyway, setting that all aside, I find the structure of this shows episodes interesting. I am not saying that every work needs to follow this formula but generally an episode of a show tells a whole story - you have a beginning, middle and end that all wraps up neatly by the end of the episode, even in shows with an overarching storyline. From the New World doesn't follow that template, instead it feels like each episode is constructed of a series of vignettes. This also helps to explain why every episode trails off, rather than coming to a satisfying "end point" - there hasn't been much of an attempt to shape the narrative structure into a tv format, instead it feels very much like a book, which shouldn't be surprising considering that's what it's based off. I can't say for sure whether this is a good thing or a bad thing, but it's the kind of thing that could be problematic in the future.

Anyway, setting all that aside I still enjoyed the episode and I'm very curious to discover what we'll be learning next week.

Narag

The fact that that site posted that news story four hours ago and not a single English-language news site has picked up on it yet makes me want to kill myself.

And ANN still hasn't posted ANYTHING about the Watanabe news either! What the fuck are they doing?!

Is it really worth getting this upset over?

Dead

well not really...yet
Watanabe says that from now on he wants to try directing a series every year. In 2013 he will be doing a space travel comedy with BONES, and in 2014 he will be doing something "more serious" at MAPPA.
wowow

more animu watanabe directs, more chance that Nobumoto comes out of hiding!

...it could happen!

Jex

I seriously respect the stomach of anyone able to watch this and not throw up:

IIEuv.jpg

Ugliest backgrounds of all time.

Hey, I pointed out how awful the CG mansion was last week, but for some reason David Production haven't fixed it yet. I can't see how anyone with an artistic eye could let such an abomination into their work. LOOK AT IT:

IIEuv.jpg

cajunator

Banned
Good, because he's not.

Your avatar...you made the right choice :D

I have my eyes set on Planetes, what does AnimeGAF think about it?

Planetes is very, very good. and Ai Tanabe is perfectly fine. she is just a staunch optimist. Its refreshing to have a character like her. You should enjoy this show a lot if you like hard sci fi.

Oh you.
NIS america releases are just fine. they had some rough beginnings but they have it going smoothly now.
I have ten releases and only 2 had any issues. One of which was just a poorly printed box cover.

/XX/

I'll never forget the day that XMURADX's incredibly comprehensive and educational One Piece sakuga videos got nuked. Damn it, Toei.
Remember that Toei Animation wasn't the sole responsible for that (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36879517&postcount=14501).

Oh, goodness me.

EDIT - on reading the article, I don't think this is actually confirmed. It was announced that they were making a sequel to either Mushishi or Detroit Metal City, and the article has concluded it's likely to be Mushishi because Nagahama and Umakoshi both worked on the first season. While I think that's a reasonable conclusion to reach, I don't think we can say it's confirmed yet.
Another clue; a different interview of Mr. Nagahama with the good guys at Deculture (http://www.deculture.es/2012/10/13/hiroshi-nagahama-detroit-metal-city/) make it seem like he wants to produce more OVAs of DMC, but says this depended on the interest from others he has to abide to. That uncertainty he shows about it makes appear as closer to be the one that other option of Mushishi, right?

Narag

Hey, I pointed out how awful the CG mansion was last week, but for some reason David Production haven't fixed it yet. I can't see how anyone with an artistic eye could let such an abomination into their work. LOOK AT IT:

IIEuv.jpg

I still think that shot that's basically a still of him midstride is the worst part of that. At least I sort of understood what they were doing when using that background as more of a set.

Reknoc

Code:Breaker 2

What is up with Sakura Sakurasakuras mum. The music still seems incredibly out of place, though I did like the track at the end.

duckroll

Code:Breaker 2

What is up with Sakura Sakurasakuras mum. The music still seems incredibly out of place, though I did like the track at the end.

Yeah, it's really weird isn't it. Her dad looks like a classmate or something, and her mom looks like her younger sister. Those designs... lol.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I can confirm that K-On director Naoko Yamada not only dresses kind of like Yui, she also spells in English like her too :)

That Q&A was the one thing I was tempted to go to if I had the money/time. Only to ask why they thought showing a film set in London in Scotland first was a good idea.

Grzi

Code:Breaker - 02

Generic designs aside this show doesn't look that bad, and it's not boring either, so I guess I'll stick with it. It really has a bit of that old school feel, as duckroll already pointed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom