• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

I don't think that's the proper answer? For the question I asked I think...

iCXQl5EXvIh4K.jpg

Say what? Fucking LOL.
a legitimate relationship between Kirito and Asuna? Outside of pretty much forcing them towards the glop scene and having them together as husbando and waifu, it has all the relationship believability of Star Wars Prequels. There is absolutely nothing that feels legitimate about the two together. Im not saying this out of some shallow preference for some other pairing, Im saying that it could be done in am uch more realistic way than that. right now it seems like puppy love at best. The author should watch actual romance shows of any type.
That's like exactly what it is, though. It isn't a profound, meaningful romance because they're two naive, teenage nerds who don't know a thing about life or love.
My guess is animewatch is making fun of the term "gameplay" from when that was being argued in IRC.
IRC: not even once.
HEY! It's on my facebook feed. Alright! Plus KYH is awesome and so is SR.
Oh, well in that ca-

Why the hell do you have borderline hentai on your facebook feed? You got to keep that shit on the lowdown!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
That's like exactly what it is, though. It isn't a profound, meaningful romance because they're two naive, teenage nerds who don't know a thing about life or love.

IRC: not even once.

Oh, well in that ca-

Why the hell do you have borderline hentai on your facebook feed? You got to keep that shit on the lowdown!

I don't. I have a couple of my favorite anime facebook pages liked so it comes up on my feed. AW FB page just put that up.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Binbougami ga! 13 (END):

Good action. Lasting character development. Got just what I wanted out of the ending. While I thought that the show was absolutely atrocious for over half of its run, it slowly began to improve in these final few episodes and ended just as it was peaking. I didn't expect to leave the experience with any satisfaction whatsoever, so....expectations exceeded?

It's kind of amazing what Ranmaru's presence and the rebalancing of comedic and meaningful content did for the show's watchability. Ichiko finally had a moral compass, and because the humor in the show is largely worthless anyway, the increased focus on Ichiko's metamorphosis from selfish bitchmonster to not-as-selfish kinda-bitchmonster really allowed the good minor characters (Keita and Ranmaru, basically) to come into their own as instruments of transformation. The material is kinda good when it's dealing with its core issues of selfishness and selflessness, and with these lessons finally influencing Ichiko's behavior, the show finally stopped feeling like the same damned thing every week.
In light of this, I promise to stop gloating about its abysmal sales.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Agreed BUT
he would be godly in any other show

What can bobby do when who have to compete with ranmaru,kuma,preverted dog and nadeshiko ?

Don't know that I agree with this. He's just a typical pervert and I guess him being a big dumb black gaijin makes him inherently funny to the Japanese or whatever. Beyond that there's no substance.

Binbougami ga! 13 (END):

Good action. Lasting character development. Got just what I wanted out of the ending. While I thought that the show was absolutely atrocious for over half of its run, it slowly began to improve in these final few episodes and ended just as it was peaking. I didn't expect to leave the experience with any satisfaction whatsoever, so....expectations exceeded?

It's kind of amazing what Ranmaru's presence and the rebalancing of comedic and meaningful content did for the show's watchability. Ichiko finally had a moral compass, and because the humor in the show is largely worthless anyway, the increased focus on Ichiko's metamorphosis from selfish bitchmonster to not-as-selfish kinda-bitchmonster really allowed the good minor characters (Keita and Ranmaru, basically) to come into their own as instruments of transformation. The material is kinda good when it's dealing with its core issues of selfishness and selflessness, and with these lessons finally influencing Ichiko's behavior, the show finally stopped feeling like the same damned thing every week.
In light of this, I promise to stop gloating about its abysmal sales.

Keita was amazing especially when he got in on the comedy stuff too., I still wish Ranmaru had been a dude though. I wonder if they will seriously pursue an s2.

Thoraxes

Tari Tari - 13 END

A cheesily good end to a mediocre show. Now to begin the wait for the HanaIro movie.

Also I ship Sakana x Wien.

Basquash 24

The way this scene played out was really similar to that iconic scene from episode 11 of Gurren Lagann. Same excellent use of music and same kind of recovery (sorta). Wasn't as epic of course, but literally nothing is.

Ultimadrago

Hidamari Sketch x365 13 [END]

ixDTd5lRCI3kg.PNG
iZubKzW3Bki3G.PNG

Yellow Miyako, Green Miyako, it's all good. Brown Yuno, Blue Yuno, it's all good.

"Happy New Year!"

A finale of many greetings, prayers and tangerines.

Additionally, the ending was simply wonderful.

I am now officially caught up with the broadcast episodes of Hidamari Sketch. There are some specials left that I look forward to getting to.

It has been a ride getting further acquainted these characters. Yuno, Miyako, Hiro and Sae make for the ultimate high school foursome. The side characters are also fun to watch and have made for a general cast that I enjoy. This is fairly rare in any show or series. I'm usually appreciative of a very small amount of characters, while feeling indifferent to the rest (especially with slice-of-life or slice-of-comedy, comedy, drama, action...it ranges all types of genre). When I'm able to appreciate more than a few characters in the space of a work, ranging any number of reasons, it's something special. It feels good! They're not very complex, but neither do they need to be. The quirks and interactions shared between all of the characters work well enough to keep me coming back for more.

i1FzqPSntBulE.PNG
ihu0qeS6Eqz16.PNG

Wideface™

Recency aside, witnessing the art direction, narrative and themes of this season have made it my favorite of the three seasons of Hidamari Sketch that have aired thus far.
Though this order might have worked out differently if I didn't watch the show in order: Hoshimittsu, Hidamari Sketch, x365. Nonetheless!

Most importantly, it was worth every second.

I wish there was more coming...

UYQxd.png

Oh wait!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I've been posting here for almost two and a half months now and I haven't swore even once in a single post. I even censored a quote from something once :(

You're not forgotten! I just don't know that you're not beyond breaking yet. We do try our hardest :p

Bobby >>> Keita. Real talk.

Keita was amazing especially when he got in on the comedy stuff too., I still wish Ranmaru had been a dude though. I wonder if they will seriously pursue an s2.

I gotta go to sleep now, I'm seein' things.

Uchip

Banned
Eureka AO 22
Tooth got powered and appeared in lights to soldiers
"TOOTH HOW ARE YOU HERE?" yelled soldiers to tooth
Ow thursday tried to shoot cores gun at allana but was stoped by trapper and Naruto pull him from scrubs because he is the one.
allana came back to pies piper just like the story book! but secret has a secret and becomes good guy white cell invasion "secret of Truth!"

Naruto and ow eating rice and happy for a little bit but naruto dont want ow and truth to fight but ow going to fight because girls came
Naruto is infect with scrubs and tooth shoot lasers at city and is truth but ow appears
"TOOOTH!" and Yugioh appears to find eurekas

10/10 Bones is back!

duckroll

NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. I actually don't know anything on how this works, but why is that?

Long running slots on TV are generally only supported by certain TV stations who produce or co-produce that content themselves. For example, NTV will air long Madhouse shows because they produce those themselves and they own Madhouse, TV Tokyo also has slots specifically meant for on-going shounen series which they co-produce, and MBS will be willing to air long-ish shows on their weekend evening anime slot meant for mainstream stuff like Gundam and Fullmetal Alchemist.

On the other hand, this new Jojo show is a Warner Brothers production which they appear to be soliciting to various outlets (it's airing on 5 different channels as stated, and will be available for streaming or vod rental on a ton of online vendors in Japan) which generally means that it has to be pre-packaged in a smaller volume. Stations are not going to go "okay, I'll agree to air this on that timeslot indefinitely woo hoo!" especially when it's a late night slot past midnight. More likely they'll agree to run a season of it, so the slot will remain free in future for other interested parties.

Branduil

Hangaa Geimu

A prime example of how to take an interesting concept and make it not interesting by failing to actually develop any element of the story beyond the tepid romance. And you can't even get into that because they're literally just faking it for the cameras.

Also, everyone loves Rick'sPeeta's Bread.

Pooya

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! lite episode

never want to see that ED ever again in my life ever.
The lack of other characters in the OP is pretty odd but it wasn't that bad. some good scenes.

doesn't look nearly as detailed as Hyouka, hope it will be fun.

Mr. Fix

Long running slots on TV are generally only supported by certain TV stations who produce or co-produce that content themselves. For example, NTV will air long Madhouse shows because they produce those themselves and they own Madhouse, TV Tokyo also has slots specifically meant for on-going shounen series which they co-produce, and MBS will be willing to air long-ish shows on their weekend evening anime slot meant for mainstream stuff like Gundam and Fullmetal Alchemist.

On the other hand, this new Jojo show is a Warner Brothers production which they appear to be soliciting to various outlets (it's airing on 5 different channels as stated, and will be available for streaming or vod rental on a ton of online vendors in Japan) which generally means that it has to be pre-packaged in a smaller volume. Stations are not going to go "okay, I'll agree to air this on that timeslot indefinitely woo hoo!" especially when it's a late night slot past midnight. More likely they'll agree to run a season of it, so the slot will remain free in future for other interested parties.

The truth, it hurts! Thanks for shedding light on this though.

duckroll

The truth, it hurts! Thanks for shedding light on this though.

It's not a bad thing though. I mean, ask yourself if you would prefer a Jojo adaptation which ends up being extremely rushed because they have to keep working on it with a deadline every week, eventually leading to the better parts of the manga later on being lower quality? Or would you rather have each part of the manga adapted as a new season, giving the studio time between seasons to put more time into the production?

kayos90

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! lite episode

never want to see that ED ever again in my life ever.
The lack of other characters in the OP is pretty odd but it wasn't that bad. some good scenes.

doesn't look nearly as detailed as Hyouka, hope it will be fun.

I think both the OP and ED are pretty bad. They're sort of either meh or annoying.,

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade

A soul-crushingly bleak film about the perhaps impossible struggle to hold onto your humanity in the midst of war and death. Grey both in its morality - both the forces of order and those of chaos are willing to use underhanded methods of achieving their dubious goals - and in its look - the city is washed-out and flesh itself is drained of color. A doomed romance plays out amidst a complex web of political machinations. In the end, you have to ask: What was the use? What were they fighting for? There is no answer, or rather, the answer is hollow.

The production values are unquestionably top-notch. The animation intricately mimics actual human motion, and the designs work very well for that, being detailed enough to look real but loose enough to move gracefully. The direction is assured throughout, with strong mood in the character moments and appropriate tension in the action scenes. I was particularly impressed with how the trauma (post-traumatic stress disorder?) that Fuse is dealing with was portrayed, in the scene before the Board of Inquiry and the later dream sequence. Compliments must also be paid to the art team, who made fully believable this world of alternate 1950s Japan.

You can certainly see Mamoru Oshii all over the screenplay - its fascination with intra-governmental squabbles and philosophical contemplation - yet Hiroyuki Okiura as director brings a different feel to the film than Oshii would have done. I'm not sure exactly how to describe it, but despite the deliberate pace and the heavy symbolism involving wolves and Red Riding Hood, Jin-Roh feels more down-to-earth, ironically, more human than, say, Ghost in the Shell. Okiura curbs the worst excesses of his elder colleague's tendency to navel-gaze. Apparently Bandai Visual required Oshii to let someone else direct this film after his two live-action films set in the same fictional universe performed poorly, and I think that worked out to the film's benefit.

In the end, while it's a very well-made film, its unrelenting despair and lack of any kind of hope does make it hard for me to love it.

To cheer myself up afterwards, I watched

The Idolmaster 26

This was quite enjoyable. As a series of light vignettes with the idols just having random fun with each other, it lacked the uninteresting character drama that bogged me down when watching the show and thankfully kept the Producer's appearances to a minimum. Character animation is strong for a TV production, as usual with the series. The best segment was easily the yakuza movie parody, which had great style and action. I wish I could see that expanded upon.

Basquash end

Exactly the kind of ending I wanted. High energy, going against impossible odds, crazy magical bullshit, loads of explosions and buildings getting fucked up; just another reason to love anime condensed into 20 minutes.

Only real complaint is there being little closure. It could have been worse though, and at least the original motivation was finally resolved, or at least implied to be. Still though, I would have liked to see
the true extent of the damage and at least a little bit of the rebuilding process
, but what can ya do.

Also, this cracked me:

wVim0.jpg

Here's Nike to save the day!

This show has really been something. A really strong start, an okay middle, and then a super strong finale. Fortunately, even the less than stellar portions were enjoyable to some extent.

I've already said it, but I absolutely love this world. It's one of the most visually creative settings this side of space operas. A sort of futuristic industrial feel, yet still vibrant. Kind of cyberpunky with fantasy elements, but it's unique enough to not be among the standard for either of those. The moon looked exactly how I expected it to look, and it was awesome once they finally got there.

Characters were good. Dan was the cliche hot-blooded guy, but those are the best kinds of tropey characters, so whatever. Iceman was crazy, but a bro and he really grew on me. I liked Flora purely based on the things happening around her rather than her actual personality, but I am a sucker for those kinds of characters anyway.

Interestingly enough, one of the reasons I probably liked this so much is it really didn't have anything to do with basketball at all. In stuff like One Outs, I actually learned a few new terms as it was grounded in reality, but this was pretty much a made up sport with basketball as a base, but adding in mechs and other variables. Kind of like Blitzball from Final Fantasy X. Ricocheting the ball everywhere became a damn important aspect of the game, and it was visually awesome. Definitely not something you would see in boring, normal basketball. Plus, everyone was travelling like crazy!

The actual game itself took a backseat to the plot plenty of times as well. I had no problem with that since it was just another opportunity to adventure around a super interesting world. Of course it all had to end in a save the world plot as well, which I'm also cool with. This really is more of an action show than it is a sports show.

As for the flaws, there are a few I think are worth mentioning. The plot kind of went schizophrenic for a while. It introduced many plot points that were seemingly abandoned at the drop of a hat or resolved without much fanfare. A few made a return for the very end, but eh, the moment had already passed. I also though a few characters could use some more development, particularly Yan and Thousand. Also, fuck Spanky. Worst wannabe Boota ever.

So yeah, this was a great series. Probably the Gurren Lagann of basketball, even though it has nothing to do with any kind of basketball we are aware of. Glad I ignored my reluctance to watch another sports series and go through with it, because this is probably my favorite sports anime ever (if you can even call it one).

Ultimadrago

Hidamari Sketch x365 EX

iTuryQK18qPad.PNG
i6pvHDCj2EcvM.PNG

When cameras turn into beasts!

A special episode with Yuno in punk clothes, the Principal rocking socks at karaoke, Sae with long hair and lots of picture taking.

Sounds like a "special" episode to me!

izZbkvw8Xx3jW.PNG

Have I mentioned that the Principal is great? You'll hear it again from me.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
HOTELトランシルバニア

Much better than one could infer from the trailers. The animation was top-notch (as expected from Tartakovsky-sama <3), which was surprising considering the studio's lack of pedigree. The humour did get grating at times --the slapstick and situational comedy didn't offend anyone, but all the contemporary references to popular music and youth jargon made me cringe. The main male love interest ruined every scene he was at the forefront too. :/

It was a fun waste of time and I'm glad Genndy-san is back to work after the bomba of his latest outing. Plus, it had a cute little waifu. <3 Three out of five weeaboos.
Eureka AO 22

10/10 Bones is back!
With you I can never tell when't it's trolling time or serious time.

Nafe

I wanted to wish hosannainexcelsis and Icarus-Daedelus a Happy Birthday too!
I'm sorry I'm late :(
I've been busy lately and missed it.

You're not forgotten! I just don't know that you're not beyond breaking yet. We do try our hardest :p

Well, it's true I don't post too much, I didn't make the last "Wall of Shame" either. You personally had some personal things which you've already explained so you probably missed some of my posts then.

I'm not really interested in being one of the masochistic crowd but it's true I've seen some shows I've ended up being disappointed on, such as Rinne no Lagrange. While I never posted any impressions and agree with you and others that some of the plot points were silly or frustrating in how they were handled, I still wouldn't use any colourful language.

This isn't just an internet thing either, people will comment about my lack of cursing in real life. They're actually quite awe struck if I ever do, haha.

duckroll

Okay, while we continue to wait to see the first glimpse of actual footage, here are some details from impressions on the pre-screening, as well as stuff from the talk event:

- There was no OP sequence in the screening of both episodes, but the ED apparently differed in both episodes. The ED might change in every episode or have variations.

- The impressions of the show are pretty positive, with the bulk of the praise given to the writing/setting and the backgrounds. Apparently the backgrounds look really, really good.

- What I got out of the 2ch posts is that the character animation isn't super amazing, but the backgrounds definitely standout as eye candy, so I guess until we see the PV, expectations should be built around that.

- The show feels like a mix of Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, and Bayside Shakedown, with some trademark touches of Urobuchi - like acts of violence and some grotesque scenes.

- There's a lot of focus on the two main characters and their buddy system relationship. The guy has a complex past which the series will build up on and development slowly as it becomes more clear. There's also a shower scene for Akane. With steam. :p

- The show definitely has the tone of an overseas drama (this would refer to US TV shows), and is more character focused.

- The actual PV is definitely coming out today, it's just not up yet. Keep waiting! :)

kayos90

Okay, while we continue to wait to see the first glimpse of actual footage, here are some details from impressions on the pre-screening, as well as stuff from the talk event:

- There was no OP sequence in the screening of both episodes, but the ED apparently differed in both episodes. The ED might change in every episode or have variations.

- The impressions of the show are pretty positive, with the bulk of the praise given to the writing/setting and the backgrounds. Apparently the backgrounds look really, really good.

- What I got out of the 2ch posts is that the character animation isn't super amazing, but the backgrounds definitely standout as eye candy, so I guess until we see the PV, expectations should be built around that.

- The show feels like a mix of Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, and Bayside Shakedown, with some trademark touches of Urobuchi - like acts of violence and some grotesque scenes.

- There's a lot of focus on the two main characters and their buddy system relationship. The guy has a complex past which the series will build up on and development slowly as it becomes more clear. There's also a shower scene for Akane. With steam. :p

- The show definitely has the tone of an overseas drama (this would refer to US TV shows), and is more character focused.

- The actual PV is definitely coming out today, it's just not up yet. Keep waiting! :)

Are you just feeding us info from 2ch or is there like a blog...

Branduil

HOTEL&#12488;&#12521;&#12531;&#12471;&#12523;&#12496;&#12491;&#12450;

Much better than one could infer from the trailers. The animation was top-notch (as expected from Tartakovsky-sama <3), which was surprising considering the studio's lack of pedigree. The humour did get grating at times --the slapstick and situational comedy didn't offend anyone, but all the contemporary references to popular music and youth jargon made me cringe. The main male love interest ruined every scene he was at the forefront too. :/

It was a fun waste of time and I'm glad Genndy-san is back to work after the bomba of his latest outing. Plus, it had a cute little waifu. <3 Three out of five weeaboos.

With you I can never tell when't it's trolling time or serious time.

Hotel Transylvania is directed by Genndy? Wow, you'd never know it by looking at the trailers. Stylistically it looks just like any other cookie-cutter CGI film.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hotel Transylvania
Party pooper.
is directed by Genndy? Wow, you'd never know it by looking at the trailers. Stylistically it looks just like any other cookie-cutter CGI film.
I don't expect much from movie trailers anymore, especially for children's films. They always focus on silly random humour instead of anything meatier.

Re: The art-style: it is about as inoffensive as it can get while trying to keep the subject matter kid-friendly. It's pretty fun to look at it in motion though. They do some great stunts with the camera-work too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom