• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to wish hosannainexcelsis and Icarus-Daedelus a Happy Birthday too!
I'm sorry I'm late :(
I've been busy lately and missed it.

No problem, thanks!

This isn't just an internet thing either, people will comment about my lack of cursing in real life. They're actually quite awe struck if I ever do, haha.

That's a trait which I highly respect. Certainly the other extreme, constant swearing, feels so unnecessary and is difficult for me to listen to.

Okay, while we continue to wait to see the first glimpse of actual footage, here are some details from impressions on the pre-screening, as well as stuff from the talk event:

I do like the sound of these impressions - how well the setting and characters are fleshed out is key to the success of a show like this and it sounds like Psycho-Pass is aware of that. The quality of the backgrounds is good news, since of course that goes a long way in creating a sci-fi setting. Hopefully the animation will be up to the task of whatever action scenes the show has.

Branduil

Party pooper.

I don't expect much from movie trailers anymore, especially for children's films. They always focus on silly random humour instead of anything meatier.

Re: The art-style: it is about as inoffensive as it can get while trying to keep the subject matter kid-friendly. It's pretty fun to look at it in motion though. They do some great stunts with the camera-work too.

Well, I don't doubt that, it's just amazing that an animator with an immediately recognizable visual style can transition to CGI and suddenly his work looks the same as everything else at a quick glance.

Thoraxes

dont turn the ricebowl upside down! it will spill everywhere!

dcatD.jpg

Magi or a bowl of rice on a wooden table?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What? Don't you look at me like that!
lol
You'll yuri anyone together!
---
Campione fin
C68SDl.jpg

So, as expected really.

BokoTomo OVA (because I want to call it that!)
bjdvsl.jpg

Rika is the best character and Yozora is the worst character. Worse than Ichiko and Kirino combined, I say.

Also, I can't believe they made a
table-kun
joke. How risque. :p

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Well, I don't doubt that, it's just amazing that an animator with an immediately recognizable visual style can transition to CGI and suddenly his work looks the same as everything else at a quick glance.
The credits actually include a montage with all the characters hand-drawn in 2D. It reminded me of his 2 Stupid Dogs days in their simplicity and expressiveness. I am hopeful that the film becomes successful enough to spark a telly show... but it would probably be CGI anyway so, point moot.

:X Fucking kids today.

EDIT: Actually, does his art style work in 3D anyway? The Clone Wars 3D show clearly takes inspiration on his pre-Revenge of the Sith skits, but it looks clumsy and too "video gamey" in motion.

Dresden

I don't even see the rice bowls anymore. I really don't. No matter how you guys try to make me see them, I don't. No rice bowls. Nope.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl - 01

I've had this on hold for awhile after initially being put off by the synopsis for it. But because there's not many shows left to choose from when it comes to yuri, I'm starting to get desperate. So anyway we have the super effeminate boy by the name of Hazumu Osaragi making a trek to his favorite mountain after being rejected by his girl of interest Yasuna Kamiizumi. It's there that he gets killed by an alien spaceship (not by its rockets or anything, but by the fucking ship itself) and brought back to life as a girl.

So let me get this straight: a super advanced civilization can build a ship yet have no clue on how to steer the damn thing, and number two; can identify the sex of another species yet haven't the slightest idea on how to reconstruct them properly? Okay.

DtPNL.png

Aliens can't fly for shit.

By the end of the episode I was about to call it quits, but when Yasuna saw the new Hazumu and got a girl boner, I knew I couldn't drop it... not yet at least. I mean look at that face.. that screams "Well, shit. This works."

OyAOq.png

Yuri mode: Initiated.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That's a trait which I highly respect. Certainly the other extreme, constant swearing, feels so unnecessary and is difficult for me to listen to.
While I agree here I also don't consider swear words to have any intrinsic negative properties. They are used as shock words and should be withheld in polite company, but there isn't anything magical about them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Jex

[Space Battleship Captain Harlock] - 16

And I thought the exposition was heavy-handed in Madoka:

harclockscript.png

She probably knows that already.

sleepykyo

Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl - 01
, and number two; can identify the sex of another species yet haven't the slightest idea on how to reconstruct them properly? Okay.

I didn't realize reconstructing a human (complete with memories intact) from a single cell before the entire body is burn out of existence is that easy. For reference, the Doctor Who aliens created a monster when they tried to reconstruct a kid.

How can anyone not like Chiyu?

Because she keeps molesting Haru with her boobs while Taku keeps getting the long connection cable.

Branduil

That bad, huh? It's pretty funny how much you can tolerate, but that good ol' manchild wish fulfilment is what gets you. :p I mean, I have little patience for that either, but being that I have no liking for the "hook" of the show (MMO nerd references!) not being an MMO player pretty much ever, I knew to stay away from it with a ten foot pole.

But that means you miss out on great stuff like extended shots of a preteen girl in her underwear who "role-plays" as the main character's little sister, gets grabbed by a tentacle monster, and ends up getting accused of being a slut by another character.

Because she keeps molesting Haru with her boobs while Taku keeps getting the long connection cable.
iQqtwwZBnMvWV.gif

Ignore the shitty meme.
There's a Team Boobs Chiyu?
I'm not sure I'd call it a team since I seem to be the only one.
But that means you miss out on great stuff like extended shots of a preteen girl in her underwear who "role-plays" as the main character's little sister, gets grabbed by a tentacle monster, and ends up getting accused of being a slut by another character.
The heavy incestual undertones really were the icing on the eyebrow-raising fetish cake that was episode 4.

Natsuyuki 11

I guess I'm ok with that ending. Actually any ending works for me I guess.
Hell, I would have totally been ok with the kill yourself route.

Dunno what to really say about this show. It was heavy on the FEELS at the start and then started to drag around and kinda made me stop FEELSing. So, I'm just glad it ended?

Jarmel

Banned
Okay, while we continue to wait to see the first glimpse of actual footage, here are some details from impressions on the pre-screening, as well as stuff from the talk event:

- The impressions of the show are pretty positive, with the bulk of the praise given to the writing/setting and the backgrounds. Apparently the backgrounds look really, really good.

- What I got out of the 2ch posts is that the character animation isn't super amazing, but the backgrounds definitely standout as eye candy, so I guess until we see the PV, expectations should be built around that.

- The show feels like a mix of Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, and Bayside Shakedown, with some trademark touches of Urobuchi - like acts of violence and some grotesque scenes.

- The show definitely has the tone of an overseas drama (this would refer to US TV shows), and is more character focused.

I wonder if people got a sense if the show was episodic or not. Ideally it would be 22 episodes of pure story but I doubt that's the case. It'll probably be along the lines of GITS and be mostly serial with a few stand-alone episodes thrown in. I hope there is a lot of character work, as one of the main criticisms I see of Urobuchi is that his characters are flat. I'm glad the background work is great as I think that's crucial for any cyberpunk or futuristic show as a whole. The character animation being ok isn't that surprising given what we've seen so I'm not that surprised although pretty disappointed.

I wonder when Funimation is going to announce the license for this show. They have to be chomping at the bit to get their hands on this show and dumping it on Toonami.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That bad, huh? It's pretty funny how much you can tolerate, but that good ol' manchild wish fulfilment is what gets you. :p I mean, I have little patience for that either, but being that I have no liking for the "hook" of the show (MMO nerd references!) not being an MMO player pretty much ever, I knew to stay away from it with a ten foot pole.
Yeah, I don't know why I found it particular offensive given the shittiness of anime as a whole. SAO just felt much more self-destructive than the typical "my 2d waifu won't betray me" anime that we see over and over again. Of course, it became pretty banal after the fact, so I find it hard to be angry about it anymore.

I suppose I should applaud the show for just being shitty and not despicable? lol

I don't think you understand my good friend firehawk. When he uses the word "heteronormative," he's definitely not defending something. In fact, quite the opposite!
You know me so well!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I didn't realize reconstructing a human (complete with memories intact) from a single cell before the entire body is burn out of existence is that easy. For reference, the Doctor Who aliens created a monster when they tried to reconstruct a kid.

It really is. But then again I should have realized they would be incapable of even that when they can't even fly a ship properly.

If I understand correctly, she has the powers of monster tits and cripple moe. Compelling to be sure, but hardly a replacement!

Sky Raker is single, Chiyu is not.

No one wants sloppy seconds.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I wonder if people got a sense if the show was episodic or not. Ideally it would be 22 episodes of pure story but I doubt that's the case. It'll probably be along the lines of GITS and be mostly serial with a few stand-alone episodes thrown in. I hope there is a lot of character work, as one of the main criticisms I see of Urobuchi is that his characters are flat. I'm glad the background work is great as I think that's crucial for any cyberpunk or futuristic show as a whole. The character animation being ok isn't that surprising given what we've seen so I'm not that surprised although pretty disappointed.
A episodic series would be pretty good for the type of series it is. As long as it has lots of world-building and quality characterization.

Also @firehawk12 I'd never understand what was so offensive about that first episode of SAO.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom