• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwarrior

Yes, he's looking for nontropey shounen, so all the "big three" are already out.

How is one piece as tropey as you can get, explain yourself and point out those common tropes that make it as tropey as you can get.

There some tropes in everything he said " little "anime tropes" as possible."

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I can already tell mahou shoujo (at least, it looks like that) is gonna be a genre that'll be hard for me to get used to.

It's an acquired taste, so I certainly don't begrudge anyone who doesn't find it appealing.

If, however, you eventually want to experiment with it, I'd recommend the first season of Sailor Moon or Heartcatch Precure. Apart from being two of my favorites, both are sometimes liked by people who aren't necessarily interested in the genre itself.

wonzo

Banned
LOL

So...thumbs up?
Most definitely, be sure to post your impressions on an episode by episode basis in this thread!

Can you shut up, I'm helping this man find the shounen his looking for, this is ain't your field so sit there and be quite, when this man asks he wants cute girls then it's your time to speak.
One Piece is tropey as hell dude (not that it's necessarily a bad thing)

I can already tell mahou shoujo (at least, it looks like that) is gonna be a genre that'll be hard for me to get used to.
CCS, Sailor Moon and HeartCatch PreCure! (and maybe the first series of Doremi but I haven't seen that yet) are where it's at when it comes to mahou shoujo.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
How is one piece as tropey as you can get, explain yourself and point out those common tropes that make it as tropey as you can get.

There some tropes in everything he said " little "anime tropes" as possible."

haato power ups, friendship by defeat, my-friends-can-do-no-wrong, most of the battles follow the same stupid shounen formula...

Cwarrior

Most definitely, be sure to post your impressions on an episode by episode basis in this thread!

One Piece is tropey as hell dude (not that it's necessarily a bad thing)

You went and recommended gintama with it's "insert yo the audiences is meant to relate to this character" shinpachi.

gintama is hell of a lot more tropey then any of the big three, so I don't want to hear that talk from you.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
16e9d3b7de4d06821f21dcf1bb951.gif

justin-wilcox-9-27-12.gif

I want some shonen, also I would need something with comedy, and as little "anime tropes" as possible.

Shounen are pretty "anime tropey" in general. Hunter x Hunter is something that goes against some tropes, but isn't really funny at all after a certain point. There's Gintama, but that's pretty tropey as well, it just happens to point them out.

I don't know, guess I'll just list all the best recent shounen. Toriko, Gintama, Hunter x Hunter, Medaka Box Abnormal, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Magi, Blue Exorcist, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Ga-Rei Zero, Soul Eater.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
No Burton, no! You like Lagrange, not K-ON!

And no, you cannot like both of them.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
No Burton, no! You like Lagrange, not K-ON!

And no, you cannot like both of them.

Fool! Yuri is yuri! Whether it's legit or misinterpreted, whether its from a show that's excellent or terrible!

Unless its Yami, Best Student Council, or Kannazuki no Miko. Those shows can burn.

Tomat

Hence my reason for mentioning 'misinterpretation' in my last post.

I saw the first season. Dropped it.
Missed that part, my mistake. Anyways, good on you!
I... I don't even... What?
FUCK
That is so cool.
Too bad about Clint Eastwood and invisible Obama though...

Teekyu 2

This is seriously like one of those "_____ In a Nutshell" flash videos back in the late 90s/early 2000s. The fast talking, the "plot" moving at a ridiculous pace, the randomness. I love it. You don't even have time to react to how ridiculous this is.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Is anyone interested in watching Detective Conan from the very beginning and skipping all of the anime original episodes with me? Anyone?

Tomat

Suddenly making GIFs of shows that can be taken out of context sounds like a lot of fun :D

Arguments about One Piece? What is this, Wednesdays in the manga thread?

Recommending One Piece as a non troupe driven shounen is equivalent to saying that One Piece is the better series than Fairy Tail, simply rediculous.

Anyway for suggestions one should look into Fairy Tail or Katekyo Hitman Reborn which have the best amounts of comedy and shounen elements, or even just Sket Dance or try something more edgy like Bakuman or Tiger & Bunny.

Cwarrior

haato power ups, friendship by defeat, my-friends-can-do-no-wrong, most of the battles follow the same stupid shounen formula...

haato power up - no one gets angry and powers up, especially in the east blue arc you watched.

friendship by defeat- luffy doesn't beat anyone then they automatically become his friends wtf you talking about this isn't dbz/yu yu hakusho.

my friends can do no wrong- that's not a trope if you know a friend really well and someone else tells you they've done something horrible that you believe there in capable of, of course your not going to believe it without proof.

most the battles follow the same stupid shounen formula - not even going to bother addressing this one cause I don't know what formula your speaking off, you didn't put enough effort to say anything.

Your just saying random shit without any explanation or pointing out when they happen.

survivor

Banned
Is anyone interested in watching Detective Conan from the very beginning and skipping all of the anime original episodes with me? Anyone?

I did that few years ago with my brother. Each day we would watch a full case, good times.

I would join you, but with school keeping my busy I probably won't be able to keep up.

Recently I've been trying to watch/read stuff that's normally outside of my box of interest. I'm enjoying Chuunibyou way more than I thought I would and now I'm feeling like I should give K-On! a legitimate chance. Coming from a guy who really isn't a fan of moe, I think I'm losing my mind.

Oh god what's happening to me?! OTL

cjkeats

I'm having trouble putting my thoughts in order about the last bit of Toradora.

I mean, it seemed.... unnecessary? Just the whole thing with Tiga
leaving for the last year of school. And leaving the original best girl and the true best girl just hanging?

I'll figure it out and do a proper post tomorrow at work when I'm not intoxicated and depressed.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Recently I've been trying to watch/read stuff that's normally outside of my box of interest. I'm enjoying Chuunibyou way more than I thought I would and now I'm feeling like I should give K-On! a legitimate chance. Coming from a guy who really isn't a fan of moe, I think I'm losing my mind.

I really dislike K-On but for some reason Chuunibyo really clicked with me as well. Don't watch K-on.

survivor

Banned
Recommending One Piece as a non troupe driven shounen is equivalent to saying that One Piece is the better series than Fairy Tail, simply rediculous.

Anyway for suggestions one should look into Fairy Tail or Katekyo Hitman Reborn which have the best amounts of comedy and shounen elements, or even just Sket Dance or try something more edgy like Bakuman or Tiger & Bunny.

Wait, how is Bakuman edgy?

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Just wait until you've burned through Idolm@ster. Resistance is futile.

Wait, how is Bakuman edgy?

I guess you could get a papercut from a page of the manga.

jman2050

I'm having trouble putting my thoughts in order about the last bit of Toradora.

I mean, it seemed.... unnecessary? Just the whole thing with Tiga
leaving for the last year of school. And leaving the original best girl and the true best girl just hanging?

I'll figure it out and do a proper post tomorrow at work when I'm not intoxicated and depressed.

Did you watch past the credits?

OceanBlue

Idolm@ster will be the final nail in the coffin.
Just wait until you've burned through Idolm@ster. Resistance is futile.

I guess you could get a papercut from a page of the manga.

Your avatar is amazing.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

I've watched pretty much all of them already, so I can pretend to be watching them with you again. :D Or I could just pull out my DVDs, whichever. ;P

Maedhros

Saint Seiya Omega 28

Recap episode. New OP sucks, but the song is so good... @_@

Shin Sekai Yori 03

Pretty show with complicated words and terms, making the story overly complicated... It's the type of show that's slow as fuck. At least it looks like things will finally start to get explained...

cjkeats

Did you watch past the credits?

Of course, I actually did for every episode for once becuase I foundthe ED themes to be quite good. But that whole thing
still don't make her disappearance any less unnecessary. Even if that black uniform was adorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom