• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Hmmm, I saw the omnibus at my local bookstore, I should get it
and send it to SDBurton for christmas

If you did I would actually read it. I appreciate most gifts given to me on Christmas.

Unless they're socks. Then I'll smack you.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
If you did I would actually read it. I appreciate most gifts given to me on Christmas.

Unless they're socks. Then I'll smack you.

I think you'll learn to appreciate some incredibly comfortable socks some day.

Hmmm, I saw the omnibus at my local bookstore, I should get it
and send it to SDBurton for christmas

The light novel or the manga? Both versions have a omnibus, and I have no idea how the manga compares to the original story in the novels, let alone the anime in which I am sensing mixed reviews.

Emitan

vlcsnap-2012-10-14-21xcswb.png

wonzo

Banned
You went and recommended gintama with it's "insert yo the audiences is meant to relate to this character" shinpachi.

gintama is hell of a lot more tropey then any of the big three, so I don't want to hear that talk from you.
The difference is the tropes actually work for comedic effect and it fits in perfectly with what WAR recon zero was asking for.

also gintama is leagues better than the big 3

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
The difference is the tropes actually work for comedic effect and it fits in perfectly with what WAR recon zero was asking for.

Wonzo has achieved enlightenment, all that Happy Science has worked out for him~

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Smile Precure 35

Dat mecha action man, shit. Fucking next week though!
Pandering to the american audience! lol

Ok so I guess he is British. Whatever!
Clearly it's Jexhius.

Akane and Nao are valuable in these sort of episodes because they keep the little kids grounded with the message that otakuism is not something to be accepted and rewarded, lol. Remember their total apathy in the episode with the dance choreography? Zero tolerance for eccentricity.

Like 7Th said, the preview is probably an accurate depiction of the next episode's content but it's kind of a foregone conclusion what's going to happen!
Perfect ambassadors for Japan. STAY IN LINE OR YOU ARE A WEIRD OUTSIDER WHO SHOULD BE SHUNNED AND MOCKED! lol

And yeah, what a troll. :p

Recently I've been trying to watch/read stuff that's normally outside of my box of interest. I'm enjoying Chuunibyou way more than I thought I would and now I'm feeling like I should give K-On! a legitimate chance. Coming from a guy who really isn't a fan of moe, I think I'm losing my mind.

Oh god what's happening to me?! OTL

Watch K-ON!

Tomat

Recently I've been trying to watch/read stuff that's normally outside of my box of interest. I'm enjoying Chuunibyou way more than I thought I would and now I'm feeling like I should give K-On! a legitimate chance. Coming from a guy who really isn't a fan of moe, I think I'm losing my mind.

Oh god what's happening to me?! OTL

I tried watching K-ON! but it really didn't click for me, so even though Chuunibyou is pretty good, liking K-ON! isn't a guarantee. K-ON! is cutesy, but far less interesting than Chuu IMO.

Maedhros

BTOOM 02

Until now, it's been pretty good. I'll probably rewatch this after the BDs... next episode should explain the motives behind the game better.

OceanBlue

I can't believe I missed this earlier. Here are some articles containing interviews with Yamada Naoko, the director of K-On, from Scotland Loves Anime.
http://chaostangent.com/2012/10/scotland-loves-anime-2012-day-3-naoko-yamada-qa-session/
http://chaostangent.com/2012/10/scotland-loves-anime-2012-day-2/

Naoko responded by saying that image of sleeping at your desk was so cool! But KyoAni was nothing like that and sometimes worked slightly longer hours but on the whole not.

[...]

Going back to the idea of her directorial style, she is very much a “method” director, preferring to get into the minds of the characters and although bits of her style may creep in, a creator “colouring” a work destroys the illusion. She would far rather hope that someone would watch her works, only to find out afterwards she had created them and for them to be their favourites. Naoko also mentioned the two types of directors: those who act as a cameraman and try to put their image on screen, and those who are actors and live within the characters.

[...]

And the final question: given the restraints on resources, is a movie harder to make because you have more staff but similarly more resources? The movie apparently wasn’t too hard as there were many talented staff in-house and her superiors essentially told her not to worry about the budget; but on the whole a movie isn’t too different to a TV series.

[...]

The most revealing question was one I had wanted to ask myself: with Kyoto Animation’s reputation for having a high number of female staff, does this have any effect in a typically male dominated industry and when producing something like K-On? The answer was slightly cagey with Naoko having not worked anywhere but Kyoto Animation in her career, but she mentioned the staff’s propensity to “mother” the characters; so if one of them was showing too much skin they would cover her up saying “she would be cold!” The answer to a follow on question by Jonathan on whether the lack of fan-service was purposeful – definitely yes and the fan-service is in the words not the visuals – elicited spontaneous applause from the audience which seemed to take both Naoko and Yoshihisa by surprise.
Highlighted some of what I found interesting, but they're good articles with a lot of nice information, especially if you're interested in the production process. Or if you're a KyoAni fanboy like I am. :)

It was especially interesting to hear that they never really work overtime and the different ways directors approach their work.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Some news for SAO fans, if there are any besides me and articalys. =(

The single for Innocence by Aoi Eir will be out November 21st.

[Disc-1: CD]
 01. INNOCENCE
 02. Velvet Tears
 03. dear brightness
 04. INNOCENCE (TV Size Ver.)

[Disc-2: DVD]
 INNOCENCE -SWORD ART ONLINE non-credit opening-
400852_469215566456921_239300626_n.jpg

The single for Overfly by Haruna Luna is releasing November 28th

【Disc-1:CD】
 01. Overfly
 02. 祈り
 03. 魔法の城、真実の書物。
 04. Overfly -Instrumental-

【Disc-2:DVD】
 01. Overfly(Music Video)
 02. Overfly -Sword Art Online non-credit ENDING-
316391_429827797075918_1426704195_n.jpg

This scene looks familiar...

539285_429812733744091_598209096_n.jpg

The single for Innocence by Aoi Eir will be out November 21st.

The single for Overfly by Haruna Luna is releasing November 28th

This scene looks familiar...

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/539285_429812733744091_598209096_n.jpg[/im][/QUOTE]

Why you never post this stuff in the sao ot?

SMILE PRECURE 35
It arrived !! BEST PRECURE ep no doubt ..it had some nice mecha action AND delicious yayoi reactions !!!

we'll finish it with that move !!!
All of yayoi reactions have been gifed ..i have nothing left ...

so great.gif

I thought i said out loud that i love SAO .... if you need members for a club i'll join anytime

survivor

Banned
I can't believe I missed this earlier. Here are some articles containing interviews with Yamada Naoko, the director of K-On, from Scotland Loves Anime.
http://chaostangent.com/2012/10/scotland-loves-anime-2012-day-3-naoko-yamada-qa-session/

Highlighted some of what I found interesting, but they're good articles with a lot of nice information, especially if you're interested in the production process. Or if you're a KyoAni fanboy like I am. :)

It was especially interesting to hear that they never really work overtime and the different ways directors approach their work.

Haha, I liked her reply to the fanservice question. Interesting article with some good questions.

kayos90

Why you never post this stuff in the sao ot?

Do you want me to? I mostly don't because I'm the last one to post and I don't want to double post/edit if I'm the last one. I just felt the need to post here since a lot of people are here. I'll crosspost if necessary.

Do you just post a constant stream of the stuff from the SAO Facebook fan page or something?

Whatever I find from online essentially. Sometimes it's facebook and sometimes it's not. lol.

Articalys

Do you want me to? I mostly don't because I'm the last one to post and I don't want to double post/edit if I'm the last one. I just felt the need to post here since a lot of people are here. I'll crosspost if necessary.
I'd almost say it's better to post it mainly in the SAO OT and only crosspost it here if it's huge news; keeps the clutter down and all that.

Tomat

A lot of people of here, none of them are SAO fans :p

(I'm kidding of course, at least I think I am >_>)

OceanBlue

Whatever I find from online essentially. Sometimes it's facebook and sometimes it's not. lol.
I don't mind if you post it here, but I think you should also post it in the SAO OT. I'm sure there are some people who browse the SAO OT and who don't browse here, or some people who might miss information since this thread moves pretty fast.

Cwarrior

he asked for "little anime tropes as possible" not a whole anime that's all about tropes, doesn't really matter if you find they work or not since he wants to avoid tropes not swim in them.

About being better then the big three I can only compare the first 26eps since that's how far I seen it and am not a douche that would go & judge the rest of it.

Apart from ep25 being amazing the rest is boring and mediocre, it doesn't even compare to the average start of bleach, naruto zabuza arc or even fairy tail, all of these are better at comedy/more funny then ginatama even know there not comedy shows.

I should stop starting conversations when I should be going to bed, night.

I think it makes more sense to post in the sao ot since people post there and dont post here, and I imagine people who are fans of sao here would undoubtably still browse that thread anyway to see whatever images and sao music stuff there is.

duckroll

I think the logic is pretty simple - if we want to make OTs to inform the larger community of the forum on certain anime series, we should also support the OTs. Instead of having long detailed discussions in here which will get lost and buried for all but the most hardcore 20 posters in this thread, and posting various bits of news and whatever, these things can be posted in the OTs for the relevant shows instead. This will be more helpful to both other posters, as well as keeping the OTs alive.

For example, look at the From the New World OT. It's basically an AnimeGAF Community Impressions Blog right now. This isn't anyone's fault, it's just how it looks. If we actually bothered to use the thread to discuss the show and debate certain issues, it would seem much more lively and interesting.

kayos90

I think the logic is pretty simple - if we want to make OTs to inform the larger community of the forum on certain anime series, we should also support the OTs. Instead of having long detailed discussions in here which will get lost and buried for all but the most hardcore 20 posters in this thread, and posting various bits of news and whatever, these things can be posted in the OTs for the relevant shows instead. This will be more helpful to both other posters, as well as keeping the OTs alive.

For example, look at the From the New World OT. It's basically an AnimeGAF Community Impressions Blog right now. This isn't anyone's fault, it's just how it looks. If we actually bothered to use the thread to discuss the show and debate certain issues, it would seem much more lively and interesting.

On that note, how's your Psycho-Pass OT going?

EDIT: On an even more serious note. I think the only reason I don't post in that thread is because a lot of the people I would love to talk about SAO rarely post in that thread and -imo- we end up having a better discussion about SAO here. That's primarily the reason why I end up posting more about SAO here. That's just how I see it and react accordingly.

OceanBlue

... Wait, does this mean I should've posted the Yamada Naoko interview article in the K-On thread too? I guess I'll get to that.

On that note, how's your Psycho-Pass OT going?

EDIT: On an even more serious note. I think the only reason I don't post in that thread is because a lot of the people I would love to talk about SAO rarely post in that thread and -imo- we end up having a better discussion about SAO here. That's primarily the reason why I end up posting more about SAO here. That's just how I see it and react accordingly.

Duckroll posted his SAO = Batman thing here, after all, lol.

kayos90

... Wait, does this mean I should've posted the Yamada Naoko interview article in the K-On thread too? I guess I'll get to that.

Duckroll posted his SAO = Batman thing here, after all, lol.

He really needs to post that in the SAO OT. Just for the rofls.

The most revealing question was one I had wanted to ask myself: with Kyoto Animation’s reputation for having a high number of female staff, does this have any effect in a typically male dominated industry and when producing something like K-On? The answer was slightly cagey with Naoko having not worked anywhere but Kyoto Animation in her career, but she mentioned the staff’s propensity to “mother” the characters; so if one of them was showing too much skin they would cover her up saying “she would be cold!” The answer to a follow on question by Jonathan on whether the lack of fan-service was purposeful – definitely yes and the fan-service is in the words not the visuals – elicited spontaneous applause from the audience which seemed to take both Naoko and Yoshihisa by surprise.

That's cute. :)
It's a pretty insightful interview, she was a perfect fit for K-ON!

Maedhros

Code:Breaker 02

Is this a reverse harem show? It's alright, I guess... Better than I thought it would be.

Magi 02

Best OP... of a butchered show. Seriously guys, READ THE MANGA. The show isn't doing a good work at all. So fast paced... there's no way they'll animate nothing after this cour' ends, since it pretty much set to get near to where the manga is right now.

OceanBlue

Code:Breaker 02

Is this a reverse harem show? It's alright, I guess... Better than I thought it would be.

Magi 02

Best OP... of a butchered show. Seriously guys, READ THE MANGA. The show isn't doing a good work at all. So fast paced... there's no way they'll animate nothing after this cour' ends, since it pretty much set to get near to where the manga is right now.
I don't think you should consider the pacing of these episodes as indicative of how the series will be paced overall.

wonzo

Banned
he asked for "little anime tropes as possible" not a whole anime that's all about tropes, doesn't really matter if you find they work or not since he wants to avoid tropes not swim in them.
The problem isn't tropes/cliches but the execution of said tropes/cliches. It's something that Gintama excels at.

About being better then the big three I can only compare the first 26eps since that's how far I seen it and am not a douche that would go & judge the rest of it.

Apart from ep25 being amazing the rest is boring and mediocre, it doesn't even compare to the average start of bleach, naruto zabuza arc or even fairy tail, all of these are better at comedy/more funny then ginatama even know there not comedy shows.
I'm speaking as someone who's seen the first 50-something episodes of Bleach, read the manga until the end of the Soul Society Arc, read Naruto up until after the timeskip when the sand dude (i think his name was gaara or something?) got kidnapped in one of the dumbest ways possible and watched the first 110 episodes of One Piece and read some 440 chapters of the manga when I say that the 140 episodes I've seen of Gintama are better than all three of them. Who died and gave you the right to talk down on others when it comes to shounen series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom