• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.
K(an't draw anatomy for shit) 03:
G4VMfl.jpg

Chet, please tell me that this doesn't do anything for you.

Do what?
And are we talking about just that shot or the character as a whole?

Managed to finish chuunibyou ep3 somehow.

It was hard to sit through Sanae's introduction:

ib1wyl1pmkILNh.gif

Their teacher owning Rikka with her powers of english was embarrassing as well, but in a good way.

It really boggles my mind how bad Japanese are in English. Here most could answer to that question in early elementary school.

wonzo

Banned
Psycho-Pass 2

Another pretty good episode.
The explanation for Akane not really knowing just what was going on certainly made sense and helped fill one of the minor issues I had with the first episode.
The OP was stylish as fuck and the old dude pretty much owns.

I thought the foreshadowing concerning Shinya's past was a bit heavy-handed (
I can't die yet... I MUST GET UP RIGHT NOW TO DEMONSTRATE MY BURNING DESIRE FOR REVENGE
), but whatever.
Maybe but it seemed about right for someone who seems to be fairly mentally unstable given that he's an Enforcer and all.

I see my decision in dropping Chuu2koi after ep1 was a wise one. It looks so fucking stupid. Lol.
Dude, you're missing out on some finely crafted wahjah and some fantastic sakuga action scenes. :(

Syrinx

I just finished this episode today myself and all I have to add to this is:

HAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAH this is where i start hurting myself right?!

Part of me is embracing and laughing at the melodrama and insanity of it all. The other part of me is wishing I could magically warp into the show so I can strap Makoto's nuts to a car battery.

This fucking show.

Geneijin

It really boggles my mind how bad Japanese are in English. Here most could answer to that question in early elementary school.
Does it? Maybe RyougaSaotome-sensei
yes, I did that
or someone else can explain to me when English is talk in Japan traditionally (middle school?) and how long English is taught or required before college.

7Th

I'm sorry, but there's lots of stuff to watch this season, and most of them appeal far more to me than a show about childish teenagers pretending to be dumb superheroes. It's not even funny.

It's really enjoyable because it's executed with the usual loving and caring KyoAni craft.

duckroll

It's really enjoyable because it's executed with the usual loving and caring KyoAni craft.

Why does craftsmanship matter if the subject matter doesn't appeal? There are some things I don't enjoy watching, and it doesn't matter how well made it is. I don't enjoy things just because someone put in effort into something. It doesn't even matter to me. My personal enjoyment is all that matters.

Does it? Maybe RyougaSaotome-sensei
yes, I did that
or someone else can explain to me when English is talk in Japan traditionally (middle school?) and how long English is taught or required before college.

From this past year, English has officially been brought into elementary schools on a national level. 5th and 6th graders do English exercises that, while not quite proper language education, is supposed to prepare them for middle school. Kids then get three years of English education in middle school and then another three years in high school for a total of six years. Eight if you include elementary school.

The problem? Most middle school teachers can't speak proper English. When I say proper, I mean that they are incapable of speaking in complete sentences and are as far from fluent as you can get. Their English is often broken, difficult to understand and just wrong.

It doesn't help that the way English is taught is specifically so that students can pass exams. It's mind numbing. I get a lot of "Wow, how did you get so amazing at Japanese when you've studied for the same amount of time as us?" ... yeah, not quite the same guys.

All the craft in the world can't get me to enjoy a show if I find the characters and their actions either irritating or dull. Well, if the density of lavishly animated action was greater I might be able to look past that, but as it is I can't. I really wanted to like Chuunibyou too.

Plus - and I realize this is personal taste to some extent - I just don't find the overall presentation as compelling as Hyouka.

Emitan

Why does craftsmanship matter if the subject matter doesn't appeal? There are some things I don't enjoy watching, and it doesn't matter how well made it is. I don't enjoy things just because someone put in effort into something. It doesn't even matter to me. My personal enjoyment is all that matters.

I was never really bothered by you not liking the show and this is a good point. I'm never going to watch something because it looks nice. I'll watch something that looks like shit if the characters or premise or even setting is done well.

7Th

I agree that personal enjoyment the main reason to watch anime, but I don't think the subject matter needs to be appealing to be enjoyable.

I'm never going to watch something because it looks nice.

"Looks" =! craft

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I agree that personal enjoyment the main reason to watch anime, but I don't think the subject matter needs to be appealing to be enjoyable.

I think it does. It's one thing to recognize something for what it is whether you like it or not or whether it appeals to you or not. unless.... I'm misunderstanding you.

7Th

I think it does. It's one thing to recognize something for what it is whether you like it or not or whether it appeals to you or not. unless.... I'm misunderstanding you.

Wolves, angst and pretty boys don't appeal to me at all and I still enjoyed Wolf's Rain.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Shin Koihime Musou - Otome Tairan - 07

44AB5.png
INPyR.png

Huang Gai, Sun Shangxiang, and Zhou Tai

Probably one of my favorite episodes out of the series. Here's why:

Huang Gai devises a plan to bring an end to an argument going on between Sun Ce and Zhou Yu. Locks the two in a storage shed for them to make up, the plan is successful, and deliciousness ensues:

Ohohoho~! So lewd!

Next day passes, and Guan Yu and co. come across this scene: http://i.imgur.com/Q7oVz.png (NSFW)

That's how you end an episode. :SDBurton approved.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Subject manner only enhances the enjoyment of something for me. It doesn't detract from the enjoyment; as long as it's well-executed.

jman2050

Damnit duckroll what have you started?

Narag

Psycho-Pass 2

Pqyjcl.png

Then they had sex.

Awesome ep. It was pretty interesting to see how regulated the world in and the class system manufactured by the Sibyl System. It didn't really click with me just how automated it was until
seeing Masaoka perform like an old hand at law enforcement. Akane was little more than a chaperone that enabled him to do what he does best. I didn't appreciate how this attitude was ingrained until society is until I saw Kogami being fine with her decision to shoot him.
Kagari's reaction to Akane's career path was neat too as it gave a third peek at how Enforcers handle their situation. I like how they're the independent free-wheeling sort to a degree as I assume they have nothing to lose at this point. Everyone else feels sort of homogenous which I suppose is the point.

I didn't mind the peak at Akane's personal life or examining her motivations as I think that's going to play a big part later. The system continues to have a sense of being flawed, this time present with
Akane's clear profile despite all she'd gone through.
Speculation:
I wonder if there are outliers that defy the system or can't be properly qualified. I wouldn't be surprised if the white haired guy from the intro of the first episode was like that. How dangerous would a criminal be if the system itself was protecting him through its own flaws?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Duder if someone asked you a question in Japanese imagine the response of most of the English speaking world.

Started watching Pokemon Best Wishes and although I know it's because there's always a new audience to please, but it frustates me that Satoshi(Ash) is once again somehow an inexperienced trainer, and that Pikachu somehow lost to a level 5 starter Snivy, seriously.

To be fair, Pikachu did get smashed in the face by Zekrom's lightning and was unable to use any electric moves. And, really I think Ash would have won if he didn't freak out over Pikachu being unable to use electric moves and smash that jerkass Trip's Snivy with some Iron Tail.

Subject matter will always be king for me. That doesn't mean it's the end all be all factor in determining whether I like something or not, but it's pretty friggin important. It doesn't matter how well made something like Shin Sekai is because it will never appeal to me with that premise (unless it turns into Elfen Lied).

cajunator

Banned
Psycho-Pass 02

Urobuchi is back to his old ways. :( :( :( Dammit Urobuchi.

OP was incredible, but I preferred the ED song.

After the things he did in Madoka Magica, Im pretty confident Butch Gen will deliver the goods in Psycho Pass.

Managed to finish chuunibyou ep3 somehow.

It was hard to sit through Sanae's introduction:

ib1wyl1pmkILNh.gif

Their teacher owning Rikka with her powers of english was embarrassing as well, but in a good way.

Sanae is a lot better than I expected.
The engrish part was fun as such things usually are.

Shin Koihime Musou - Otome Tairan - 07

Probably one of my favorite episodes out of the series. Here's why:

Huang Gai devises a plan to bring an end to an argument going on between Sun Ce and Zhou Yu. Locks the two in a storage shed for them to make up, the plan is successful, and deliciousness ensues:

Ohohoho~! So lewd!

Next day passes, and Guan Yu and co. come across this scene: http://i.imgur.com/Q7oVz.png (NSFW)

That's how you end an episode. :SDBurton approved.

Best episode of the 3 seasons

Maedhros

I'm sorry, but there's lots of stuff to watch this season, and most of them appeal far more to me than a show about childish teenagers pretending to be dumb superheroes. It's not even funny.

The action scenes are great. I'm immune to the moe, though, does nothing for me. The characters looks dumb and stupid, not cute.

Oh... it's not funny, really.

cajunator

Banned
I can relate to the chuunibyo characters.
Nothing wrong with their behavior IMO.
They are still young and not necessarily at the point where they would have to stop being silly. People like that will eventually grow out of it anyway.
But the world needs people who are a bit eccentric to give it some flavor.

Defuser

Gintama 255

Tsuki - Hell yeah, lots of flashbacks.
Kyubei - Uhhh ok, I supposed that flashback counts.
Sa-Chan - ............

Tsuki still proving why she is best girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom