• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Whoever was the hero of the fight scene in each episode was whoever showed up after the fact to save the senshi who were already down shit creek (aka Tuxedo Mask about 95% of the time.
If you paid close attention, Tuxedo Mask was incredibly useless much of the time, even if he was adored as he was. That's actually how Naoko Takeuchi would have wanted it. She's fond of undependable men.

Which explains her marriage quite well, as it happens.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Episode 19

A Valentines Day episode that aired on Valentines Day. Poor Motoki talking to his pet turtle Kamekichi, "How come you get a present from your girlfriend and I have nothing". A certain someone does give him a present which cheers him up though. I wonder if that will go anywhere?

That plot point introduced a couple of episodes ago was indeed how it looked, helping to differentiate this series some more from the anime. I'm wondering how that will play out. I already know how it will end, the whole predetermined "destiny" and everything, but I want to see what they do with it in the mean time.

The senshi's attacks don't seem very effective anymore in this adaptation. The enemies just block them or do some small little dodge to evade them most of the time. It also looks like they ran out of monster designs as the person dressed up as a sort of opera singer type monster has appeared the last few episodes now.

Honestly PGSM was pretty terrible. And yeah that is a huge problem in PGSM. It was utterly bizarre seeing 4 of the girls getting owned and then 1 girl stepping in and doing their best John Cena impersonation.

But there are two good reasons to watch that show.

1. Kunzite
2. Rei x Ami
3. Ponies

OceanBlue

Isn't the point of Tales games to be like an anime?

They are but in my personal opinion, with the way Tales games are designed, you have a lot of pointless dungeon crawling to get from place to place and a lot of backtracking or random excuses to travel to some town away from the main plot (some of which lead to character story). I guess I'm not a big fan of JRPGs adapted into anime.

I would watch an Atelier anime though. :)

Edit: Hmm. It seems the quote links are missing for me. Oh never mind. Dang Neogaf Dark.

Syrinx

If you paid close attention, Tuxedo Mask was incredibly useless much of the time, even if he was adored as he was. That's actually how Naoko Takeuchi would have wanted it. She's fond of undependable men.

Which explains her marriage quite well, as it happens.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. I do know that when Tuxedo Mask got into a direct fight, he usually got his ass badly mauled. But like I said, his MO was basically stealth attacking with a rose when the enemy had gotten the senshi into a bind (sometimes literally).

Was I not paying close enough attention?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Honestly PGSM was pretty terrible. And yeah that is a huge problem in PGSM. It was utterly bizarre seeing 4 of the girls getting owned and then 1 girl stepping in and doing their best John Cena impersonation.

1. Kunzite
2. Rei x Ami
3. Ponies

ReixAmi at #2? We need to talk!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm not quite sure what you mean. I do know that when Tuxedo Mask got into a direct fight, he usually got his ass badly mauled. But like I said, his MO was basically stealth attacking with a rose when the enemy had gotten the senshi into a bind (sometimes literally).

Was I not paying close enough attention?
But he just planted that rose in the ground much of the time. He wasn't actually DOING much of anything!

cajunator

Banned
From The New World 3

I felt like catching up on this show and giving myself a break from the endless crawl through a sewer pipe that is School Days. Feels good to watch something awesome instead of something that makes me want to dip my dick in a volcano.

Anyway:

When Shun stopped the waves and made the sky reflect on the water... holy. fucking. shit. Probably the best scene in the show so far. Seriously, I can not properly convey just how gorgeous this show is.

Looks like there is a relationship developing between Shun and Saki. That's good. Shun isn't just a boss. He's a bosses boss.

Looks like there's going to be a lot learned from that Demon Minoshiro/walking library thing. Looking forward to it.

I needed that.

Cant appreciate the anime highs without understanding the lows!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 089
kGd4Ml.jpg
Greatest Soap Opera Ever Told.
Tonight's story revisits the moral conundrum established around sixty episodes ago: is a ruler justified to allow the mass murder of large amounts of non-combatants as it is done for the greater good? A failed assassination attempt on the Kaiser puts our bishounen ruler in a predicament he has evaded for years now, with the ensuing depression from having to confront his sins ends in a rather comical yet entertaining display of a case of teh butterflies.

Regardless of whatever may have happened in bed (nobody can resist the Imperial cock), Reinhard's inmaturity towards love results in embarrassment and uncertainty in the mind of herr Fraulein. Insecurity dominates both lovers' frame of thought: does he love me? Do I want to marry her for obligation solely? The change in tone is nearly farcical, but it brings about a side of Reinhard that makes him more endearing to us. A bumbling, muttering fool of a child who, in front of his father-in-law-to-be, acts like an innocent teenager for whom the universe he owns grants him little knowledge of such ordinary life concerns. Even social standards (more specifically, Reinhard's ignorance of them) prove to be more powerful in these issues than the crown.

The episode ends with a reminder of the assassin, having committed suicide while imprisoned and getting the plot back on track to what I assume will involve the dissolution of the Neue Reich.
Fun times are not allowed.

Nafe

Is
fursuits
included in #2?

Are you referring to
the mascot contest with the phrase "Kupi" or is there more?

But he just planted that rose in the ground much of the time. He wasn't actually DOING much of anything!

Tuxedo Mask in PGSM doesn't really do much either. Instead of using impossibly sharp stemmed roses he just intercepts more directly with his staff instead. So far anyway.

I guess I don't need to watch the show anymore. Magic ruined.

I still recommend watching it. :)

Andrew J.

Read my next post :p

Its really terrible but I guess I kind of enjoy it? I don't know. It's not a painful feeling like when I'm watching Gyrozetter or Hiiro no Kakera. It's just boredom I guess. Hopefully theres more Yukari. The other girls outside of the main quartet so far really don't interest me in the slightest - the student council in particular is terrible.

Really? My favorite gag so far is where
the president tried climbing up the tank herself for about a second and then made Monocle be a stepstool.

Narag

1. Kunzite
2. Rei x Ami
3. Ponies

That's a fine (and very correct) list.

Kettch

Katte ni Kaizou 1

Something about poems, cyborgs, unwashed foreskins and trains. Clearly I need to watch more to get a better understanding on all of this.

My first thought seeing those screenshots: "That looks totally SHAFTy." Really, nothing else compares to how easily identifiable their style is.

Guess I missed this one somehow, I'll have to give it a look.

mAcOdIn

Campione
She is a loli because she is sealed ( yep fanservice ?? ) , her true form is that of an adult in episode 2 ? is very similar of the standard athenas....
I know but still...
No chance for this to happen
Huh? It has to be planned to happen. Has to.

Lets put it this way, why does Godou have a little sister in Campione? At this point you may say that it's because the author wanted Godou to have someone he needed to keep his secret from, or an anchor in the normal world or something like that but that isn't my question, I'm asking why a little sister?

See, in the real world we give meaning to random things because they are there but in fiction "random" things are there because they have or will have meaning. If the author just wanted there to be someone close to the main character that Godou needed or felt he needed to hide his power from he could have simply gave him a friend in school but sure a brother or sister would also work. If the author wanted there to be that conflict between normal and the all female harem he could have simply gave Godou a friend that was a girl in school his age that liked him, you know, a childhood friend type character. So, unlike the real world where having a little sister is a random event Godou having a little sister in Campione is not a random event, the author consciously gave Godou a sister and a little one at that, think about the implications of that for a second.

So true .... Too bad we won't get more ..sadfrog.jpg
I have faith in us getting a new Ben-to, we've seen worse shit that sold worse get second seasons.

Infinite Ryvius 6

So, if Kouji served as Yuki's father figure after their parents' divorce, perhaps Yuki's anger towards him is just that generalized teenage rebellion against parents/authority figures. Of course, Yuki seems happy to punch anyone unlucky enough to talk to him.

By the way, I'm slightly amused that, even in a spaceship-focused setting, this show made sure it still had mecha.

My first thought seeing those screenshots: "That looks totally SHAFTy." Really, nothing else compares to how easily identifiable their style is.

Guess I missed this one somehow, I'll have to give it a look.

It's a 6 episode OVA, which might be why you missed it.

OceanBlue

Campione
Huh? It has to be planned to happen. Has to.

Lets put it this way, why does Godou have a little sister in Campione? At this point you may say that it's because the author wanted Godou to have someone he needed to keep his secret from, or an anchor in the normal world or something like that but that isn't my question, I'm asking why a little sister?

See, in the real world we give meaning to random things because they are there but in fiction "random" things are there because they have or will have meaning. If the author just wanted there to be someone close to the main character that Godou needed or felt he needed to hide his power from he could have simply gave him a friend in school but sure a brother or sister would also work. If the author wanted there to be that conflict between normal and the all female harem he could have simply gave Godou a friend that was a girl in school his age that liked him, you know, a childhood friend type character. So, unlike the real world where having a little sister is a random event Godou having a little sister in Campione is not a random event, the author consciously gave Godou a sister and a little one at that, think about the implications of that for a second.
I agree that the author gave Godou a little sister for a reason. The only implications I'm drawing, though, is that he's trying to "pander" to people who like little sisters. I don't see why that means she has to be included in his harem shenanigans eventually. There are plenty of harems like this where some characters, including little sisters, forever remained side characters.

I'm not saying the possibility isn't there, but I don't think it's as absolute as your post suggests.

Maedhros

Psycho-Pass 02

Very good OP.

The hologram penis butler is very cute. It's a very nice example of good HCI of an AI, that makes this more acceptable for humans to convive with.

That being said... the direction of this show is so top notch... graphics, soundtrack... the only problem I have is with the MC. God... she's so fucking ridiculous... I hope she grows already or just die.

There's not much competition among other Tales adaptations as Abyss was the only one to get a full TV series that actually tells the whole most plot.

Phantasia got a highly condensed OVA series which does a good job of telling the main story and giving decent action.

Eternia does a silly side story set in the middle of the game featuring new characters so it's pointless.

Symphonia still hasn't finished yet with its OVAs but it'll probably end up good since it's taking quite a while to get through the plot and ufotable.

Vesperia got a pretty prequel money that was all about Yuri and Flynn's bromance, but it had Flynn.

What other game to anime series adaptations of recent are there?

DMC....

mind is blank :X

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Getter Robo Armageddon 7-13 (END):

Fucking incredible. I'm undecided on whether or not I should even review this critically as it so clearly deliberately put badassery and spectacle over logic that I'm not sure what I can even say right now. At least for the moment, I'm too stunned trying to absorb the towering greatness of the audiovisual experience to say anything worthwhile. Chest status after watching: incredibly hairy. I think this is my cue to finally watch Giant Robo.

I'm so sorry for dragging my feet, Grzi. Thank you for bestowing this upon me, as I probably wouldn't have sought it out on my own for several years.

Narag

Getter Robo Armageddon 7-13 (END):

Fucking incredible. I'm undecided on whether or not I should even review this critically as it so clearly deliberately put badassery and spectacle over logic that I'm not sure what I can even say right now. At least for the moment, I'm too stunned trying to absorb the towering greatness of the audiovisual experience to say anything worthwhile. Chest status after watching: incredibly hairy. I think this is my cue to finally watch Giant Robo.

I'm so sorry for dragging my feet, Grzi. Thank you for bestowing this upon me, as I probably wouldn't have sought it out on my own for several years.

Getter Robo vs Metal Beast Dragon => Stoner Sunshine event
= Heaven. Gonna rewatch that clip now!

Also if you end up enjoying Giant Robo, rocket punch, not walk, your way to Shin Mazinger Z. There's also Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo and New Getter Robo that might be worth your time.

To Love ru Darkness 3

Kotegawa (aka Bitch) episode. Not much to say, but there was a very special beam of the week this time

What makes this so amazing is Mea actually BACKED UP into it while her panties were in plain view. In other words, this is a stationary censor that didn't follow the movements of the character. Great job there!
6lCjw.jpg
^
V

NO seriously

i can't see .. I CAN'T SEE !!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

Holy shit. You just blew my mind.

Edit: Wait, so how the hell did that work so much of the time?
Haha, no clue. He did offer encouragement, though, so he did help in the sense that the people actually capable of doing things gained the confidence to do so.

Sengoku Basara was a good game adaptation. Well, it was nice to watch. I don't play the games so I don't know how good of an adaptation it was.

And then there was Idolm@ster! My favorite. :D

smh. how could i forgot imas. Well I never played the game, but show is lovely (except for the bad guy for the sake of bad guy).

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Getter Robo vs Metal Beast Dragon => Stoner Sunshine event
= Heaven. Gonna rewatch that clip now!

Also if you end up enjoying Giant Robo, rocket punch, not walk, your way to Shin Mazinger Z. There's also Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo and New Getter Robo that might be worth your time.

Yeah, in a production where all of the animation was incredible, that still managed to stand out.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll be sure to work my way through all of these. I desperately need an infusion of over-the-top badassery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom