• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Campione
Huh? It has to be planned to happen. Has to.

Lets put it this way, why does Godou have a little sister in Campione? At this point you may say that it's because the author wanted Godou to have someone he needed to keep his secret from, or an anchor in the normal world or something like that but that isn't my question, I'm asking why a little sister?

See, in the real world we give meaning to random things because they are there but in fiction "random" things are there because they have or will have meaning. If the author just wanted there to be someone close to the main character that Godou needed or felt he needed to hide his power from he could have simply gave him a friend in school but sure a brother or sister would also work. If the author wanted there to be that conflict between normal and the all female harem he could have simply gave Godou a friend that was a girl in school his age that liked him, you know, a childhood friend type character. So, unlike the real world where having a little sister is a random event Godou having a little sister in Campione is not a random event, the author consciously gave Godou a sister and a little one at that, think about the implications of that for a second.

I'm telling you that's it's not the case.. the focus the anime had on that character was totally anime.. it's the same character and personality but the author focus less on her than the anime ever did ..there is NOTHING , absolutly nothing that ever indicate in either the anime or the book that we're headed this way ..and no that character isn't even a tsundere or something .. there are no hints , no sentences , no foreshadowing of the sort written..

Heck she was a comic relief in the anime and nothing else .heck about those character you mention they exist ( friends at school for example but mostly classmates ) but the anime didn't adapt them because the campione anime is a rushed job... that rushed everything and cut , many many things ..i could give you a list a things they cut or changed , it would extremly long..heck the anime totally ignored the Main character normal life ( his familly other than the sister with his gran father for example ) and even cut several battles.

In the end , godou sister is there for a reason , but that's not the one you have in mind
I agree that the author gave Godou a little sister for a reason. The only implications I'm drawing, though, is that he's trying to "pander" to people who like little sisters. I don't see why that means she has to be included in his harem shenanigans eventually. There are plenty of harems like this where some characters, including little sisters, forever remained side characters.

I'm not saying the possibility isn't there, but I don't think it's as absolute as your post suggests.

This is true but i don't see any pandering considering that 4 harem members are well-know and none of them are the little sister type

Soma

JOOOOJOOOOOOOOOOOO Episode 03

ibkJiDHdZkWKgh.jpg

So much yelling. So much drama. So much censorship. So much manliness.

Holy crap that was good.

Now this is pretty much at the point where I left off in the manga so I should be catching up on that as well. It's a shame that the low budget is pretty apparent in this show but I have to say this is still incredibly enjoyable despite that.

Narag

Yeah, in a production where all of the animation was incredible, that still managed to stand out.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll be sure to work my way through all of these. I desperately need an infusion of over-the-top badassery.

Your dream of good Go Nagai adaptations is coming true!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Legend of the Galactic Heroes doesn't have a long setup. In fact, it throws you right into the thick of things, starting off with a battle that acts as a catalyst for advancing the careers of the two main characters (one on each side of the war) and goes on from there, gradually filling in their backstory and the history of the world.
I guess I'm just looking for something that takes the world for granted and lets the characters just exist on their own. It's my problem with Game of Thrones, which just gets bogged down by people talking about boring fake politics as if it were the most important thing in the world.
I still have flashbacks to the long family meetings in Tytania anyway. lol

Expect competition to be fierce!

And apparently the big October announcement was the creation of YomeColle Idol, for those weirdos who like real people rather than cartoon characters:
http://idol.yomecolle.jp/
Man, they're really milking this for all it's worth. They must be making bank on this thing... although it brings up some pragmatic questions that interest me:

1) What's the crossover between animu nerds and idoru nerds?
2) Since it's all microtransaction based, all are the parties paid per microtransaction or would they get a flat fee for likeness rights? I imagine if you have a popular character/are a popular idol, you'd probably just get much more of the "action" as it were.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 3

Yeah, courage!

There was censorship, but I don't even care. This was some endgame shit right here, and we're only on episode 3! The segment while Dio and JoJo were
descending into the flames
was incredible.

1Yufo.jpg

That's some Indiana Jones shit right there. When did you become cool like Joseph, Jonathan?

This thing could end right now and I would call it a success. Seriously, what a great adaptation so far.

And next week is Zeppeli! Shit is going to get so real. Can't wait for what's to come.

Syrinx

Haha, no clue. He did offer encouragement, though, so he did help in the sense that the people actually capable of doing things gained the confidence to do so.

Yeah, well, Sailor Moon needs a bit more than encouragement when a monster has got her pinned to a wall about to fuck up her shit. That's where the rose comes in.

Dresden

I'm sure she's too laid out on valium to really notice you spooning with her. Or do other stuff as the next comiket will demonstrate.

The dark twist in chunikoi will be that everyone is stuck in a Zodwallop situation where all of them are drugged out chuunis stuck in a mental hospital.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Polar Bear Cafe 29

zZiuHl.jpg

I quite liked the second part of the episode. The way it ended reminded me of a typical Aria episode... and they used that plaintive-happy-wistful theme too, which made it perfect.

zQ2t5l.jpg

And, you know, I *think* there's no duplication here and no real derp faces. So I guess good interstitial art can be done! (Well, there is a lot of cheating, but that's neither here nor there. lol)

Kintama 255
W4PJKl.jpg

They busted out the sentimentality in full force this week and I quite liked it even if I know exactly how it would turn out. I only wish that they had a little more trust in the audience and let the reference stand on its own rather than include the flashbacks... but I guess for normal people, the events being referred to are ancient history.

Infinite Ryvius 7-8

The plot is heating up as order breaks down.
The Ryvius has been barely limping to the hope of rescue at Mars; with that dashed, maintaining internal peace and simply keeping the ship running is going to become an ever more severe problem. They may have what amounts to magic to pull them out of the jams of external attacks, but I can foresee that having that power is itself going to increase the amount of chaos as people vie to control it.

Episode 7 had some really poor use of music, with very inappropriate and jarring cutoffs. Thankfully episode 8 was much better in that regard. Even if the composition quality is not that great, good music direction is able to compensate for that. Episode 8 had really good direction all around; it was much tighter than usual, and the tension in the bridge scenes was intense.

On a light note, Juli's casual outfit is super dorky:

I guess I'm just looking for something that takes the world for granted and lets the characters just exist on their own. It's my problem with Game of Thrones, which just gets bogged down by people talking about boring fake politics as if it were the most important thing in the world.
I still have flashbacks to the long family meetings in Tytania anyway. lol

I can't speak to Game of Thrones or Tytania, but I would say Legend of the Galactic Heroes is character-centric. It's a talky show, sure, but aside from one or two episodes around the midpoint which are basically history lessons, I can't recall that much standing around for gobs of random exposition. The politics tends to be personalized - these are conflicts between individuals, not just between abstract entities.

Really, you should just set aside the 90 minutes it takes to watch Overture to a New War, and then you'd be able to definitively say whether the series is something for you or not.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I can't speak to Game of Thrones or Tytania, but I would say Legend of the Galactic Heroes is character-centric. It's a talky show, sure, but aside from one or two episodes around the midpoint which are basically history lessons, I can't recall that much standing around for gobs of random exposition. The politics tends to be personalized - these are conflicts between individuals, not just between abstract entities.
Those were among my favourite episodes. They fit in the "historical narration" style of the rest of the show, and the actual events described in them are interesting in their own regard.

See Jex? I'm not against world-building.
Jojo 3

Code:Breaker dethroned as most entertaining show of the season. Sorry, Jex!
Speedwagon is a bro too.
Without having read the manga, I predict Speedwagon is gonna be The Worf of this show.

Narag

Really, you should just set aside the 90 minutes it takes to watch Overture to a New War, and then you'd be able to definitively say whether the series is something for you or not.

This is really sound advice. At worst, you get to sit through a good movie without having to invest yourself into something larger.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I was watching an episode of season 3 the other day and I actually noticed a random pantyshot and took mental note of it because you sent me this chart one day long long ago. Apparently season 2 is where the debauchery's at, though.
Much of it is because of Chibiusa's blue dress. The camera doesn't even need to be at a low angle for it.

Gintama 154

A rare birthday episode. Wasn't bad, just wasn't as wacky as I expected from the previews. They probably shouldn't shown the game of Life in it otherwise I would have expected the entire episode of them playing Life.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That seems like cheating, though now that I know about it, I'm going to blame childhood viewings of Sailor Moon for my adult interest in the perverse (and macabre, while we're at it. All your fault Ikuni/SatoJun you perverts!)
There is actually a specific episode director that had like 8-10 in one ep. I forget his name but he was dubbed Mr. Pantyshot on IRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom