• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been actually out of anime in a while. Besides From the New world and possibly JoJo, what should I be looking into this season? My favorite stuff tends to be action shows, but I won't turn down a good drama either.

Magi, Btooom, Medaka Box Abnormal maybe, K, Code:Breaker if you can tolerate awful characters, Zetsuen no Tempest. It's the season of action!

Firemind

I've been actually out of anime in a while. Besides From the New world and possibly JoJo, what should I be looking into this season? My favorite stuff tends to be action shows, but I won't turn down a good drama either.

Did you say drama?

saono.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Missed that one entirely - I think I've just learnt to block Viz licenses as being entirely irrelevant to me...
Every time I read Viz I think of the UK comic which is very non-anime like.

I find it hilarious that KyoAni can afford the kind of production values Hyouka had for a 22 episode series, and yet their new 12 episode series looks so much worse. It's supposed to be the other way round!
You expect something that has gone through the Instagram filter to come out looking good?

yami4ct

Did you say drama?

Good god SAO. The corniness of the plot isn't my main problem. It's that post episode 10, they systemically dismantle any strong traits Asuna had and turn her into another girl chasing after Kirito. Oh well, still a fun popcorn show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Depends on what you do with it. If the show is fashioned like a mystery then I think there is some value for the audience to be in the dark just as much as the actual characters are. It gives impact to some of the larger reveals.

I do however think there is also value in regards to giving background as it helps give context early on.
The potential problem is that you make the mythology more important than the actual characters and whatnot.
Then it becomes what the island is about and why do the numbers keep appearing and what is the hatch for and all that crap.

I think the reason behind it can be explained by an interview with the novel's author:

If the show jumped straight into Saki's world, it'd be easy for the viewer to assume that it was meant to be a fantasy universe with no direct relation to our own. Showing us the modern landscape establishes that, no, it is an envisioned future of our world.
There are ways to make it clear that it is a future rather than an alternate universe though, especially through diegetic means. Like with Jinrui, I never for once assumed that it was some parallel fantasy universe and the premise is arguably stranger than this show.

yami4ct

What episode are you on? Just so I know how many LOLs to put in.

I'm a poor college student, so I'm up to Cruncyroll's latest free episode so....last week's episode.

My currently watching list is: One Piece (Up to episode 388), Hunter x Hunter, Eureka Seven AO and SAO. Man, I desperately need to add some more good to balance out SAO and AO.
I guess you could add Casshern Sins to that list as I'm keeping up with the toonami airing. Really "enjoying" that show, if you can call what that show does "enjoyment".

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I'm a poor college student, so I'm up to Cruncyroll's latest free episode so....last week's episode.

My currently watching list is: One Piece (Up to episode 388), Hunter x Hunter, Eureka Seven AO and SAO. Man, I desperately need to add some more good to balance out SAO and AO.
I guess you could add Casheern Sins to that list as I'm keeping up with the toonami airing. Really "enjoying" that show, if you can call what that show does "enjoyment".

I don't remember if this was already recommended to you, but both Humanity Has Declined and Space Brothers are really good shows, and available on CrunchyRoll. Humanity Has Declined has a fun mix of wacky antics and satire, and is also quite visually pleasing, I really like the colorful backgrounds and the character designs.

Space Brothers isn't very actiony, but it has a very realistic and believable approach to it's drama - so well done that it doesn't feel at all angsty or overwraught, like a lot of anime drama does.

yami4ct

I don't remember if this was already recommended to you, but both Humanity Has Declined and Space Brothers are really good shows, and available on CrunchyRoll. Humanity Has Declined has a fun mix of wacky antics and satire, and is also quite visually pleasing, I really like the colorful backgrounds and the character designs.

Space Brothers isn't very actiony, but it has a very realistic and believable approach to it's drama - so well done that it doesn't feel at all angsty or overwraught, like a lot of anime drama does.

Space Brothers sounds just my style. I'll add it to my list of stuff to check out really soon.

yami4ct

We've all been there. I think after this weeks effort, I'm quite content to drop it altogether.

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I'm at the same point with SAO as I am with E7AO. The series has lowered my expectations to the point I can now enjoy them on their own terms. I'm in too deep with both at this point to drop them. I just hope to pick up stuff to balance them out.

Arcana Famiglia 12

So, this week on Part-Time Mobsters!, everyone enters a battle touran-wait really? That stupid thing is finally happening?
The thing that was promised in episode one and was quickly brushed aside so the otome can have her precious time with her boy toys of her harem (well mostly just two of them)?
The one where we are promised mobsters using super natural arcane powers pit themselves against each other for a girl?
Is that finally happening?

Awesome!

-Five minutes later-

Uh, yeah, disappointment much? Hell, even Sengoku Collection did it better with the action in its final episode and that was basically tossing fire and water around. It definitely didn't help that the fights were barely shown, arcana powers were barely used to the point where the ones with the most screentime only used it in the end.

I didn't even pay attention to the resolution cause like hell do I care anymore about it. I bet the Love Arcana didn't give a fuck anymore either.

So, this series was a waste. Good premise, decent first episode and then it tosses said premise and decides to be a generic otome show. And, not even a good one either.

Why? Because we were promised fighting and action and instead we get Part-Timers doing everything but. Taking another more successful otome shot, Uta Prince, that worked cause we were promised something and it was delivered. Pretty boys signing and dancing? Every episode gave us that! Here? We were lucky if a sword even popped out.

So, you're all fired from being mobsters. You barely did your job to begin with.

Narag

Casshern: Robot Hunter (1993) 4 FIN

yiF52l.jpg

Behold! Optic Blast!

Well, that's that. Disappointing finale to a show I really wanted to like but couldn't bring myself to. It started off well enough but it lacked a satisfying balance. Thematically it needed some more room to explore stuff that's just glossed over. I'd wager if I looked into either the original series or Casshern Sins I'd find something more satisfying in that regard.

Still stuck mentally comparing this to Gatchaman '94 as they're both revisted Tatsunoko properties with some similar staff. Gatchaman '94 was surprisingly more satisfying (although I state this while having not watched it ia couple years, something I should remedy) in that it was constant escalation of the action which worked better in the limited format. Trying to explore Casshern's past, his former love interest, Buraiking Boss' motivations, humanity's rebellion, and Casshern's own melancholy was quite a bit to fit into four eps. I'd go as far as saying it was too much.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Casshern: Robot Hunter (1993) 4 FIN

Well, that's that. Disappointing finale to a show I really wanted to like but couldn't bring myself to. It started off well enough but it lacked a satisfying balance. Thematically it needed some more room to explore stuff that's just glossed over. I'd wager if I looked into either the original series or Casshern Sins I'd find something more satisfying in that regard.

Still stuck mentally comparing this to Gatchaman '94 as they're both revisted Tatsunoko properties with some similar staff. Gatchaman '94 was surprisingly more satisfying (although I state this while having not watched it ia couple years, something I should remedy) in that it was constant escalation of the action which worked better in the limited format. Trying to explore Casshern's past, his former love interest, Buraiking Boss' motivations, humanity's rebellion, and Casshern's own melancholy was quite a bit to fit into four eps. I'd go as far as saying it was too much.

Edited for safety reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom