• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

OceanBlue

I think it's more anime fans hating other anime fans, making it eventually turn to self loathing. Certain....unscrupulous sections of the fandom can make it hard to justify loving the stuff to yourself. It's part of what made me quit a few years back.

I've since gotten over that hangup.

Since you've quit over parts of the fandom before, I need to ask. How do other people's attitudes convince you to quit something you enjoy? Is it just association?

Steroyd

Rinne no Lagrange 22 - END

You know when you watch something extract enough enjoyment out of it for the first half, take a 3 month break then start watching the second half, and with each passing episode you start to forget why you enjoyed it in the first place?

...Yeah.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
In for JoJo, From the New World, Hidamari Sketch, Robotics Note, Psycho-Pass, Litchi Hikari Club, Little Busters and Gintama...maybe Code Geass for the inevitable absurdity. Haven't been this interested in a new season in a long time.

Greetings animeGAF!

Welcome!

And nice JSR avatar, I like you already.

yami4ct

Since you've quit over parts of the fandom before, I need to ask. How do other people's attitudes convince you to quit something you enjoy? Is it just association?

It was a combination of quite a few factors. The communities I frequented got fractured over dumb infighting. At the time, most of the fans I knew were either super into Bleach and Naruto to the point of hating on everything else, or cynical to the point of depression. I had less and less free time, the series I liked either ended or became terrible and I just kind of fell out of it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Sword Art Online 13

Must suck, not being able to just wipe and call it a night when they see that thing.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The worst would be a very good guess. You should watch F/Z though. I mean it's pretty cool and stuff.

I'm still slowly slogging through idolm@ster at your recommendation, and trying to finish Serial Experiments Lain, which I'm not liking that much compared to Texhnolyze. Lain does have a great opening song at least.

OceanBlue

It was a combination of quite a few factors. The communities I frequented got fractured over dumb infighting. At the time, most of the fans I knew were either super into Bleach and Naruto to the point of hating on everything else, or cynical to the point of depression. I had less and less free time, the series I liked either ended or became terrible and I just kind of fell out of it.

I see. I can easily see becoming dispirited or wanting to take a break while dealing with those things.

I'm still slowly slogging through idolm@ster at your recommendation, and trying to finish Serial Experiments Lain, which I'm not liking that much compared to Texhnolyze. Lain does have a great opening song at least.

How do you like Idolm@ster?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
What? I find it highly suspect I legitimately recommended im@s to you. Maybe like a few episodes, but probably not more than that. If you actually like it that's neat and all but yeeeeeeeeeeeah.

Tomat

I see. I can easily see becoming dispirited or wanting to take a break while dealing with those things.

How do you like Idolm@ster?
Not as bad as I originally thought it was going to be! I'm only on episode five but the characters aren't bad and the show can be pretty funny.

What? I find it highly suspect I legitimately recommended im@s to you. Maybe like a few episodes, but probably not more than that. If you actually like it that's neat and all but yeeeeeeeeeeeah.

It was on mumble way back, so whether or not you were serious is up in the air I guess, haha.

-Minsc-

Also known as "growing up". It's great when you get to point where you stop focusing on petty things and just start enjoying.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It was on mumble way back, so whether or not you were serious is up in the air I guess, haha.
Really this is just going on the evidence pile for me being a terrible person. Still, there are some cool im@s episodes that I hope you hit at least.

yami4ct

Also known as "growing up". It's great when you get to point where you stop focusing on petty things and just start enjoying.

Yep, that's the point I'm at with everything. I enjoy what I enjoy. If someone doesn't like it, oh well.

As I've aged, I've become decidedly less cynical. As a kid, I used to nitpick shows to pieces. I hate more stuff than I liked. Now adays, I'm way more likely to like a show than not.

OceanBlue

Not as bad as I originally thought it was going to be! I'm only on episode five but the characters aren't bad and the show can be pretty funny.

I have an irrational love for iM@S so it makes me glad when I hear of other people enjoying it. I really do think that it's a fun series. I can believe that the staff were fans of the series because I feel that it shows through the energy of the series.

Well, to be fair he also mentioned that a lot of the series he had been enjoying were ending or becoming worse. I kinda wonder how many people here could hatewatch a series without AnimeGAF.

jman2050

My parents dont particularly like anime, but both my brothers are into it. One brother's been following Naruto and my other brother is halfway through watching Toradora with me. He loves it, of course :p

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
tumblr_mb4jf0CjCp1qzqnxxo1_500.gif

This animation is great; will watch. No perverted comments onegai.

yami4ct

What really helped bring me back in has been finding great people, like some awesome guys here on gaf, that can just have fun watching stuff. It doesn't need to always be a competition between shows or a race to see who can hate something the most, sometimes it can just be fun to talk about what we're watching.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
What really helped bring me back in has been finding great people, like some awesome guys here on gaf, that can just have fun watching stuff. It doesn't need to always be a competition between shows or a race to see who can hate something the most, sometimes it can just be fun to talk about what we're watching.

Fun shows are fun. :D

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Rinne no Lagrange 22 - END

You know when you watch something extract enough enjoyment out of it for the first half, take a 3 month break then start watching the second half, and with each passing episode you start to forget why you enjoyed it in the first place?

...Yeah.

While this is only a little of what made Lagrange S2 bad, I find that split cours are bad for shows that have any sort of contiguous plot because the show either has to sacrifice an episode in order to broadcast a recap (as Lagrange S2 did) or the viewer has to take it upon themselves to refresh their own memories, which can be an inconvenience.

For instance, I think it speaks to the quality of Fate/Zero's writing that everyone seems to have had excellent recall of the narrative after the three month hiatus. Who here can say that they still remembered the exact nature of the conflict in Lagrange when S2 began? Two space dudes who something something Voxes something something MARU?

Kokoro Connect 13

This was a nice wrap up to the arc. Thematically I like this arc the best as it dealt with coming to terms with your past and accepting who you are now because of it. Iori's decision at the end was pretty powerful for me. Sucks though that we have to wait who knows how long to see the final arc. I hate this trend of having the final episodes be DVD/BR exclusive.

Thoraxes

While this is only a little of what made Lagrange S2 bad, I find that split cours are bad for shows that have any sort of contiguous plot because the show either has to sacrifice an episode in order to broadcast a recap (as Lagrange S2 did) or the viewer has to take it upon themselves to refresh their own memories, which can be an inconvenience.

For instance, I think it speaks to the quality of Fate/Zero's writing that everyone seems to have had excellent recall of the narrative after the three month hiatus. Who here can say that they still remembered the exact nature of the conflict in Lagrange when S2 began? Two space dudes who something something Voxes something something MARU?

Me, but that's because i'm good at remembering those kinds of things for everything I watch. I could watch half of a 100 episode show, come back to it 2 years later and still remember what's up.

Uchip

Banned
I don't have the energy to be critical about everything I watch. At this point in my life, I prefer just to take all shows on their own terms.

thats interesting, because from my perspective it would take an incredible amount of energy to just go along with everything the Japanese animation industry spews out

Thoraxes

thats interesting, because from my perspective it would take an incredible amount of energy to just go along with everything the Japanese animation industry spews out

For me, caring to care takes more energy than caring not to care. You actually have to get involved to care and have to make your own connections.
I don't have the energy to be critical about everything I watch. At this point in my life, I prefer just to take all shows on their own terms.

That's how I am too. I can be critcial when I want to, but watching shows on their own merits is just as fun for me and I feel better when I finish watching something.

yami4ct

I just like to limit my media intake as much as possible. If I see something that looks interesting, or get a bunch of recommendations for something, I'll check it out. I miss a lot of stuff, but oh well.

cajunator

Banned
Having not see the show I can only assume the worst :(

Well, There are some VERY disturbing things in Fate Zero, but the whole show has a dark tone. Its definitely not a bad show.

I dont think you have to worry about us.
AnimeGaf has a lot of level headed fans in it who can actually engage in discussion without hurling insults. We run the gamut from the cynicals to those who watch almost everything, and everything in between. We have an understanding here and lots of respect for each other.

Yes. That's why he should watch AW.

Agreed.

Uchip

Banned
For me, caring to care takes more energy than caring not to care. You actually have to get involved to care and have to make your own connections.

not caring isnt the same thing as enjoying
it takes a special, conditioned perspective to enjoy every empty piece of filth that emerges
wonzo is a hardened individual with the Kingdom thing

OceanBlue

I disagree
you need to be critical in order to truly appreciate when its done right
I don't disagree with you. I just found that I tend to feel better just watching anime for superficial reasons. It's not like I can't be critical. If I do see something exceptional, I can still note how differently two shows approach it.

Admitting a show's shortcomings and strengths and enjoying it are kinda two different things for me. I guess I just care less about truly appreciating when something is "done right" than I do about occupying my time with something entertaining.

it takes a special, conditioned perspective to enjoy every empty piece of filth that emerges

In that case, I think I have that special, conditioned perspective.

Tomat

Really this is just going on the evidence pile for me being a terrible person. Still, there are some cool im@s episodes that I hope you hit at least.

So... you don't like im@s all that much?

Look at what you've made me do.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Well, if you think about white people TV, especially cable, if you can actually plot seasons coherently, you can do a split cour where each half is meaningful. If you use the format correctly, you can even get people excited to watch the next season (although American TV has abused this concept way too much now. When every season is a cliffhanger, it's just boring).

It worked for Shaft-oh's Arakawa and Natsu no Arashi, mostly because each cour was thematically closed and relatively plot-closed. Rinne had a decent cliffhanger ending that blew up the very premise of the show... it was just squandered by the lackluster second season.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Well, if you think about white people TV, especially cable, if you can actually plot seasons coherently, you can do a split cour where each half is meaningful. If you use the format correctly, you can even get people excited to watch the next season (although American TV has abused this concept way too much now. When every season is a cliffhanger, it's just boring).

It's not really their fault at this point, though. People expect cliffhangers and get mad when they don't get them.

cajunator

Banned
Is she just swearing off Fate Zero or all anime after that?

She would probably not watch any more Fate Zero.
I have hundreds of shows so she would definitely find something else to enjoy.
She's just very busy with substitute teaching and housework and cant really sit down often to watch.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Me, but that's because i'm good at remembering those kinds of things for everything I watch. I could watch half of a 100 episode show, come back to it 2 years later and still remember what's up.

I'm consuming a hell of a lot of fiction at any one time so that might have something to do with my personal recall. With Lagrange specifically, I think the fact that so much of the first season was just setup--a piling of mysteries upon mysteries and context-less terminology--harmed my ability to remember a lot of it. Knowing the underlying reason why a character is doing something or why a fictional world works the way it does improves my recall.

Alternately, maybe I just didn't give a damn about the srsbns in the show to begin with and really just cared about the cute girls, hahah. I do also have to be invested in a narrative to retain it for a long time beyond the point of consumption.

cajunator

Banned
Rinne no Lagrange is panderbait so thats why many people enjoy it.
It has cute characters, cool mechs, and occasionally action, both in the mechs nd between characters, as well as lewd handholding. Its fun. Nobody needs an excuse to enjoy it.

Rinne no Lagrange is panderbait so thats why many people enjoy it.
It has cute characters, cool mechs, and occasionally action, both in the mechs nd between characters, as well as lewd handholding. Its fun. Nobody needs an excuse to enjoy it.

Who are these many? I thought it had overall low viewers and there really isnt much of a fanbase, and seemed a bit less popular this second half. Lagrange, by Nissan, was actually really cool, and etc.

Articalys

I'm not even going to try to catch up with any of the 500 posts I missed. I'm just going to do this:
Saimoe Round 2 - Groups E & F, Day 3 Results

E3
1st 312 Charlotte Dunois @ Infinite Stratos
2nd 259 Rin Tousaka @ Fate/Zero
3rd 179 Hibiki Ganaha @ The Idolmaster

F3
1st 454 Kuro Matsumi @ Saki
2nd 322 Nyaruko @ Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
3rd 50 Ryuuka Shimizudani @ Saki

-----------------------

Groups E & F Day 4 Matches:

- Yuu vs. Taiga vs. Yui

- Eru vs. Ririchiyo vs. Miyako
and get back to the other stuff I was doing.
Will watch From The New World later.

Thoraxes

nope.

Right episode, wrong scene.

Involves carousels, swords, the most depressing duel chorus ever, and Akio sipping a fruity drink. Granted, it comprises like 80% of the episode, but still...

Perfect.
not caring isnt the same thing as enjoying
wonzo is a hardened individual with the Kingdom thing
You could you know, just watch things without attachment. It's what I do. Now I want to watch Kingdom just for the spectacle of mediocre. What have you done to me?

Articalys

Look at all the cool shit that Los Angeles Madoka Magica movie attendees get.

For free with ticket purchase (while supplies last):
A printed signboard with what I assume is an Ume Aoki sketch and signatures from movie staff

signboard.jpg
A special 27" X 39.5" movie poster

poster.jpg
Of course, you'll also have the chance to buy some of the stuff that I think was on display at some Madoka event recently in Japan:
Earphone accessories
goods_phonejack.jpg

Plush stuff
goods_qbmafura.jpg
goods_keychain.jpg

Movie guidebooks
goods_movie_1.jpg
goods_movie_2.jpg

Ume Aoki illustration wallscroll
goods_movietapestry.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's not really their fault at this point, though. People expect cliffhangers and get mad when they don't get them.
Yeah, it's a trend that's creeping up in episodic television now too. So the cliffhangers have to get bigger and bigger.

You know what's funny? I never watched Dallas but "Who shot JR?" is something that I just know because of how unprecedented that cliffhanger was. All the mythology surrounding it - the fact that they filmed fake endings so that there would be no leaks - including the fact that The Simpsons did a parody of it with "Who shot Mr. Burns?", only exist because of how shocking the idea of a cliffhanger was at the time.

Now, every season of every show ends with someone getting shot, or killed, or kidnapped, or quitting the force, or whatever... and they've become so meaningless that none of them are really cultural events that will last into the next generation.

Like, I can't really think of a single cliffhanger finale for Lost. I mean, "WE HAVE TO GO BACK" is probably the only one that immediately comes to mind but I don't even remember the context of that ending.

I watched 5 or 6 seasons of 24, the show defined by the cliffhanger ending, and I can't remember any of them. I think in one season Jack goes to Africa to save some orphans and he gets captured and returned to the US or something? Who knows.

I don't know if there's a solution to that. David Simon's pseudo-cliffhangery-but-not-really endings to his seasons are pretty good. But then again, no one likes his shows so that's probably not the best way to go about it. lol

I'm consuming a hell of a lot of fiction at any one time so that might have something to do with my personal recall. With Lagrange specifically, I think the fact that so much of the first season was just setup--a piling of mysteries upon mysteries and context-less terminology--harmed my ability to remember a lot of it. Knowing the underlying reason why a character is doing something or why a fictional world works the way it does improves my recall.

Alternately, maybe I just didn't give a damn about the srsbns in the show to begin with and really just cared about the cute girls, hahah. I do also have to be invested in a narrative to retain it for a long time beyond the point of consumption.
Not enough Miracle Trains, clearly!

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I can kind of relate. I told myself that AnimeGAF was going to be my last stop on the line for the internet anime community before giving up and watching anime in complete solitude forever. I'd tried virtually every other major English-language hub for discussion and never fit in anywhere due to a near-total disparity in opinions with the vast majority of people who frequent those sites, so when I found a community that actually a.) had self-awareness about their own hobby, b.) had the ability to be highly critical without being assholish and could actually articulate good justifications for their criticism, and c.) generally disliked vapid otaku-pander anime while rejecting the notion that modern anime was universally terrible, I was excited at the prospect that I'd finally found an outlet for my thoughts.

If you're at all like this and have even the notion that you've found a place where you fit in, you'll probably love participating in the thread. Welcome!

Well, to be fair he also mentioned that a lot of the series he had been enjoying were ending or becoming worse. I kinda wonder how many people here could hatewatch a series without AnimeGAF.

Having a venue for your incredulity certainly helps. There are a handful of series pre-AnimeGAF that I managed to watch to completion in spite of hating them, though--junk like Trinity Blood, Kurozuka, and Shikabane Hime come to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom