• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Casshern: Robot Hunter (1993) 4 FIN

Well, that's that. Disappointing finale to a show I really wanted to like but couldn't bring myself to. It started off well enough but it lacked a satisfying balance. Thematically it needed some more room to explore stuff that's just glossed over. I'd wager if I looked into either the original series or Casshern Sins I'd find something more satisfying in that regard.

Still stuck mentally comparing this to Gatchaman '94 as they're both revisted Tatsunoko properties with some similar staff. Gatchaman '94 was surprisingly more satisfying (although I state this while having not watched it ia couple years, something I should remedy) in that it was constant escalation of the action which worked better in the limited format. Trying to explore Casshern's past, his former love interest, Buraiking Boss' motivations, humanity's rebellion, and Casshern's own melancholy was quite a bit to fit into four eps. I'd go as far as saying it was too much.

Oh god, Casshern Sins. One of the few shows I can speak on right now. Not done with it, but I can say I think it's trying to make the everyone in the Toonami-Gaf thread kill themselves.

Narag

Oh god, Casshern Sins. One of the few shows I can speak on right now. Not done with it, but I can say I think it's trying to make the everyone in the Toonami-Gaf thread kill themselves.

Sounds lovely. I should order the blurays sooner than later.

Instro

Space Brothers isn't very actiony, but it has a very realistic and believable approach to it's drama - so well done that it doesn't feel at all angsty or overwraught, like a lot of anime drama does.

Although I think the downside is that it is slowly getting a bit monotonous as it has progressed. It's a bit hard to look forward to each week, but the characters are pretty strong and move the drama forward well.

yami4ct

Sounds lovely. I should order the blurays sooner than later.

It isn't a BAD show, don't get me wrong. It's once of the most stunningly animated series I've seen. The problem is, it's the most oppressively sad series I've watched. Watch it, just do not ever try to marathon it.

Arcana Famiglia 12
So, this series was a waste. Good premise, decent first episode and then it tosses said premise and decides to be a generic otome show. And, not even a good one either.

Why? Because we were promised fighting and action and instead we get Part-Timers doing everything but. Taking another more successful otome shot, Uta Prince, that worked cause we were promised something and it was delivered. Pretty boys signing and dancing? Every episode gave us that! Here? We were lucky if a sword even popped out.

So, you're all fired from being mobsters. You barely did your job to begin with.

I think its another case of misaligned expectations. The anime never promised that it was going to be some Otome Shounen Battle Tournament for 11 episodes, and the plot justified their actual job, and their task was that of protecting the island and guarding the power of the Arcana such as Il Mondo.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Space Brothers is legitimately good.
Some say it drags on too much but I think all of it has been important in the context of the series.
Even my mom like Space Brothers. If only the PS3 Crunchyroll app wasn't so lame.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
My parents are fine with me watching anime. Though that's cuz they associate blood with maturity and if there's blood in anime, i guess it's mature. LOL>

yami4ct

My mom finds Japanese theme music hilarious. My Dad knows some about what I watch, but mostly just ignores it. Neither make a big deal of it, so I guess that's cool.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
My parents are fine with me watching anime. Though that's cuz they associate blood with maturity and if there's blood in anime, i guess it's mature. LOL>

My parents used to be bothered by it. Now they're fine with it because I'm not a crazy serial killer or whatever.

Mom like Ghibli and Tenchi Muyo.

The last anime I watched with family was Hyouka, they were pretty actually immersed in it, the festival arc mystery.

When I watch anime with family, like my brother, he'll be pretty critical, "its not one piece so [insert anime name] is awful", or worst criticizes all my mechas I watch...though at least liked Star Driver.

survivor

Banned
Every time my dad sees me watching anime he keeps asking me why I'm watching those cartoons for kids. My brother on the other hand keeps complaining why all the anime I watch feature high school girls.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Every time my dad sees me watching anime he keeps asking me why I'm watching those cartoons for kids. My brother on the other hand keeps me complaining why all the anime I watch feature high school girls.

Show them Urotsukidoji. I guarantee their opinion will change. ;P

Don't actually show them Urotsukidoji.

yami4ct

The last anime I watched with family was Hyouka, they were pretty actually immersed in it, the festival arc mystery.

When I watch anime with family, like my brother, he'll be pretty critical, "its not one piece so [insert anime name] is awful", or worst criticizes all my mechas I watch...though at least liked Star Driver.

I have a couple friends like that. It can simultaneously be a awful and lead to some fun debates.

As for mecha anime, as a fan myself, I can understand why someone wouldn't be a fan. It takes a certain suspension of disbelief to enjoy most mecha series, especially modern ones.

Pirabear

Banned
In for JoJo, From the New World, Hidamari Sketch, Robotics Note, Psycho-Pass, Litchi Hikari Club, Little Busters and Gintama...maybe Code Geass for the inevitable absurdity. Haven't been this interested in a new season in a long time.

Greetings animeGAF!

yami4ct

Every time my dad sees me watching anime he keeps asking me why I'm watching those cartoons for kids. My brother on the other hand keeps complaining why all the anime I watch feature high school girls.

If you want to change someone's mind, I'd say show them Cowboy Bebop. I don't see how someone can say anime doesn't have any adult value after seeing that show.

I did a similar thing with my dad and comic books. I convinced him to read Watchmen one time. He never question the story telling capability of the medium after that.

wonzo

Banned
Chitose Get You! 14

chitose14.jpg

terrible show is still terrible

In for JoJo, From the New World, Hidamari Sketch, Robotics Note, Psycho-Pass, Litchi Hikari Club, Little Busters and Gintama...maybe Code Geass for the inevitable absurdity. Haven't been this interested in a new season in a long time.

Greetings animeGAF!

Welcome to the worst place on the internet! We have scones and snacks by the door.

You should also be excited for Magi.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Welcome to the worst place on the internet! We have scones and snacks by the door.

You should also be excited for Magi.
What is it with anime fans and hating themselves? (Even as a joke :p)

Greetings animeGAF!

Welcome! Based on your post, you are the shining beacon on positivity we need!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The only anime I ever watched with a parent was Nausicaa. My father freaked out when he thought that her bare ass was visible (reality: flesh-colored leggings NSFW?) and I was forced to take my anime viewing out of the living room after that.

Greetings animeGAF!

Yo! Be sure to stick around!

Ultimadrago

Greetings animeGAF!

A newcomer coming partially for Hidamari?

What a pleasant surprise.

Welcome!

yami4ct

What is it with anime fans and hating themselves? (Even as a joke :p)

I think it's more anime fans hating other anime fans, making it eventually turn to self loathing. Certain....unscrupulous sections of the fandom can make it hard to justify loving the stuff to yourself. It's part of what made me quit a few years back.

I've since gotten over that hangup.

Maedhros

I think its another case of misaligned expectations. The anime never promised that it was going to be some Otome Shounen Battle Tournament for 11 episodes, and the plot justified their actual job, and their task was that of protecting the island and guarding the power of the Arcana such as Il Mondo.

Too bad the plot ended being a piece of shit.

Pooya

[From The New World ]- 1

We see this in a couple of sequences. Firstly, during sequence of the 'future' Saki experiences some kind of religious ceremony whose real purpose is unclear, the elders at the Temple simply instruct Saki how to act and she does so willingly. Presumably her parents of briefed her on what this entails but the whole event has a suspicious air to it.

I think the ceremony looked like a 'show'. They were just telling her these things and making her believe that they are doing something to her and she believed them, but throwing a paper into the fire probably has no effect on her powers I think. Is this how they are trying to keep the kids under their own influence? just speculating

A number of other scenes feel distinctly...off, which was clearly done intentionally. When Saki has her 'dream of awakening' or whatever, Saki's mother rushes into her room far too quickly and grasps onto her child far too tightly. Of course, Saki's parents are happy she's awoken, but why is her mother so relieved? Later on in the episode
we discover that Saki had a brother or sister who was 'taken away' because she never developed any abilities. Saki's mother even uses the world 'relieved' at dinner during conversation about this topic.
[...]
Similarly, some quite important things are glossed over. What happened to the children at Saki's school who didn't graduate? None of Saki's friends want to know - either they know something or they don't want to face up to what really might be going behind closed doors. Only Saki seems interested in questioning what's going on around her.

The other thing from Saki's flashback of her parents talking
looks like the process of selecting these kids isn't a 'natural' process of any kind like it looked like with that 'wind 'coming inside the room, it's decided by humans instead?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Seriously.

It has been discouraging to see some solid (or at least entertaining) newer posters come, only to swiftly go...for good.

Never forget johnmarshal.

"Hi guys! This is the best place on the entire internet for discussing anime and I can't believe I'm actually here and omg this is amazing"

*never posts again*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom