• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You know you love it. lol

w9zsAl.jpg

Like, I can't really think of a single cliffhanger finale for Lost. I mean, "WE HAVE TO GO BACK" is probably the only one that immediately comes to mind but I don't even remember the context of that ending.

The problem with Lost is that it had a cliffhanger ending in every episode, many of which were never picked up on again. When you're constantly jerking your audience around with "shocking" twists, your audience will eventually lose interest. Or at least I did.

While this is only a little of what made Lagrange S2 bad, I find that split cours are bad for shows that have any sort of contiguous plot because the show either has to sacrifice an episode in order to broadcast a recap (as Lagrange S2 did) or the viewer has to take it upon themselves to refresh their own memories, which can be an inconvenience.

For instance, I think it speaks to the quality of Fate/Zero's writing that everyone seems to have had excellent recall of the narrative after the three month hiatus. Who here can say that they still remembered the exact nature of the conflict in Lagrange when S2 began? Two space dudes who something something Voxes something something MARU?

The problem is that i started watching rinne when the third ep of season 2 had aired ... and it didn't help .. Everything wzas fresh in my mind yet it was poorly executed and mostly full of nonsense.the cut didn't help but it wasn't the real problem

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Rinne no Lagrange is panderbait so thats why many people enjoy it.
It has cute characters, cool mechs, and occasionally action, both in the mechs nd between characters, as well as lewd handholding. Its fun. Nobody needs an excuse to enjoy it.

And yuri, let's not forget the yuri. :p

Branduil

From The New World #1 - Loved the opening, the direction did a good job of executing the unsettling mood it was aiming for. Will be interesting if we see more sequences similar in tone to that, later on in the series, because it's easily my favorite scene in the episode.

Rest of the episode was pretty damn good too, I'm liking the mix of supernatural and science-fiction in it's world-building, and it's portrayal of religion gives me off a sense of superstition in a number of the events, there's clearly something "off" going on here. In fact the sense of mystery is very strong, and while I'm not particularly invested in the characters so far yet, I'm very intrigued on what exactly is going on with the "plot" at this stage.

I do like how the majority of the cast are children though, while the series itself appears to have a very "adult" tone in it's presentation.

Aside from that, the overall direction, animation, and the character designs are all very solid. This definitely has the making of something special as far as anime goes, and I'm really excited about where it goes next in the coming weeks!

Tsuritama might have some competition for AOTY 2012.:eek:

This is especially obvious in the scene that introduces the children. It's a very believable childish argument, but the way it is presented is very sophisticated and "adult."

Shinsekai Yori 01

What a cool looking show, really enjoyed it. The intro reminded me of
Elfen Lied, with all the gore. I feel bad for Reiko, I hope she didn't get killed off. The tainted cat has me intrigued, as does the herb collector story.

yami4ct

Going to be trying a smorgasbord of the stuff you guys recommended now. Checking out From The New World, Accel World and Space Brothers. Will be back in a couple hours with some first thoughts on all.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The problem is that i started watching rinne when the third ep of season 2 had aired ... and it didn't help .. Everything wzas fresh in my mind yet it was poorly executed and mostly full of nonsense.the cut didn't help but it wasn't the real problem

Sure, the three month break basically exacerbated an existing problem by heaping confusion on top of confusion. S2 would have been just as bad narratively had it aired immediately after S1.

cajunator

Banned
really? why?

Well I dont like how pride makes the little kid reject all forms of help and it ends up in tragedy. I know he's a little kid but seriously, it felt so stupid that he lived so close to everyone but still refused to give in until it was too late. It was kind of ridiculous.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
And yuri, let's not forget the yuri. :p
You know, did BillieChu bail on the thread? lol

The problem with Lost is that it had a cliffhanger ending in every episode, many of which were never picked up on again. When you're constantly jerking your audience around with "shocking" twists, your audience will eventually lose interest. Or at least I did.
Hah, well, there's that as well. But we're at a point where even the CSI shows have big shocking cliffhangers now. It's pretty ridiculous.

Uchip

Banned
Fortunately its not Megunami
though now i know how people felt when i had sasunaru avy...

yours are a little big more intense, and a little bit less canon

Well I dont like how pride makes the little kid reject all forms of help and it ends up in tragedy. I know he's a little kid but seriously, it felt so stupid that he lived so close to everyone but still refused to give in until it was too late. It was kind of ridiculous.

the plot would have come to a halt if they had accepted help though!
people make bad decisions that lead to their downfall, and that film was a pretty colourful example of that

cajunator

Banned
yours are a little big more intense, and a little bit less canon

the plot would have come to a halt if they had accepted help though!
people make bad decisions that lead to their downfall, and that film was a pretty colourful example of that

You have a point about bad decisions, but when it involves survival and help is right nearby, well it is hard to accept the story.

Instro

Akito 1

nkiAj.jpg

Indeed.

Wow, this is more divorced from Code Geass than I would have expected. The tone and atmosphere set it completely apart. Pretty dark, depressing, and you get a really good feeling of how downtrodden certain areas of the city are. Even the characters operate in a different realm than the over the top dramatics of Code Geass characters. At least to a certain degree anyway, there is still a good level of theatrics in their actions but the other aspects of the show help in keep their interactions feeling more grounded. The somewhat unconventional soundtrack is one of the biggest reasons it so successfully steps in this direction I think. The fast jazz goes perfectly with the almost slapdash movements and attacks of the mecha, everything is extremely fast and the music really captures that in a cool way. In other sections we are treated to haunting piano pieces, that I felt were particularly effective during that latter stage of the episode when they are driving through the desolate cityscape with a rather odd green sky. Actually the coloring for the sky is something it shares with From The New World, lots of interesting colors being used to get the audience into the mood of the scene. In any case, the music came as quite a nice surprise as I was really not expecting the sort of tracks we got looking for more interesting stuff in that regard.

With regards to the CG, it looks great during the action sequences. The movement seem very organic so to speak, and the direction really helps it along to make everything exciting and fun to watch. There's some pretty excellent camera movement and shot selection throughout those sequences, as has been archived in the many gifs already posted. It isn't often that CG mecha works well, bit in this case its pretty damn successful at delivering quality action. I'm pretty surprised honestly, although I suppose I was spoiled by some gifs already in this regard. On the other hand, the vehicles and most other cg stuff looks decidedly "normal", as in what you'd usually expect out of anime CG. That said it looks great when it counts so I can't really complain. What I will complain about though is that the video quality we are getting is complete ass. Ill be looking forward to the Bluray release thats for sure

One thing that did bug me though was the amount of characters being introduced in this first episode. There's a lot going on and it tends to jump around a bit to a lot of different characters with not much time to really get to know who we are seeing on screen. What I liked about the original series is that it sort of scaled up in scope in a measured way, you get to know key cast members fairly well as the war expands, in this case we are pretty much thrust right into the ongoing war and all that comes with it. Hopefully the pacing in this regard slows down a bit as we get further in.

Anyway, definitely a great start to the series. Fall season is really living up to its potential so far, its shame the next episode of this isn't until next spring or so iirc. Oh well, something to look forward to I guess.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Akito 1

nkiAj.jpg

Indeed.

Wow, this is more divorced from Code Geass than I would have expected. The tone and atmosphere set it completely apart. Pretty dark, depressing, and you get a really good feeling of how downtrodden certain areas of the city are. Even the characters operate in a different realm than the over the top dramatics of Code Geass characters. At least to a certain degree anyway, there is still a good level of theatrics in their actions but the other aspects of the show help in keep their interactions feeling more grounded. The somewhat unconventional soundtrack is one of the biggest reasons it so successfully steps in this direction I think. The fast jazz goes perfectly with the almost slapdash movements and attacks of the mecha, everything is extremely fast and the music really captures that in a cool way. In other sections we are treated to haunting piano pieces, that I felt were particularly effective during that latter stage of the episode when they are driving through the desolate cityscape with a rather odd green sky. Actually the coloring for the sky is something it shares with From The New World, lots of interesting colors being used to get the audience into the mood of the scene. In any case, the music came as quite a nice surprise as I was really not expecting the sort of tracks we got looking for more interesting stuff in that regard.

With regards to the CG, it looks great during the action sequences. The movement seem very organic so to speak, and the direction really helps it along to make everything exciting and fun to watch. There's some pretty excellent camera movement and shot selection throughout those sequences, as has been archived in the many gifs already posted. It isn't often that CG mecha works well, bit in this case its pretty damn successful at delivering quality action. I'm pretty surprised honestly, although I suppose I was spoiled by some gifs already in this regard. On the other hand, the vehicles and most other cg stuff looks decidedly "normal", as in what you'd usually expect out of anime CG. That said it looks great when it counts so I can't really complain. What I will complain about though is that the video quality we are getting is complete ass. Ill be looking forward to the Bluray release thats for sure

One thing that did bug me though was the amount of characters being introduced in this first episode. There's a lot going on and it tends to jump around a bit to a lot of different characters with not much time to really get to know who we are seeing on screen. What I liked about the original series is that it sort of scaled up in scope in a measured way, you get to know key cast members fairly well as the war expands, in this case we are pretty much thrust right into the ongoing war and all that comes with it. Hopefully the pacing in this regard slows down a bit as we get further in.

Anyway, definitely a great start to the series. Fall season is really living up to its potential so far, its shame the next episode of this isn't until next spring or so iirc. Oh well, something to look forward to I guess.

Glad you liked it! Nice write up.

JCG

Code Geass: Akito the Exiled OVA 01

As expected, this was mostly a lot of basic setup and the obligatory introductions of various characters with their respective circumstances, but I enjoyed it. Just over-the-top enough in certain places (such as the battles, for example, and one or two conversations) to be entertaining while still taking the time to flesh out the new scenario without rushing the pace yet.

They still need to elaborate on a few specific issues though and the episode also established a couple of mysteries that I'd hope to see addressed later on. You could say the tone had an extra emphasis on seriousness, yes, but I didn't think the actual content was out of place or unfitting for the Code Geass universe. It's a very different part of the world, after all, and the story isn't about one man's rebellion, so the changes aren't inappropriate. The characters aren't anything special, but they have enough room for development and I could see some good conflicts emerging between them.

Overall, I'll admit the use of CGI was handled about as well as it could be and does make for some more dynamic action scenes, which is nice. Unfortunately, there's a couple of moments where the integration wasn't perfect, but I will recognize they did make a genuine effort and pulled off the most complicated parts. The staff certainly went out of their way to make Knightmare Frames move with increased agility, but then again it's not exactly unusual to see some mechanical or engineering liberties being taken in spin-offs, as the Gundam property has previously demonstrated. It's not a problem as long as the battles are interesting to watch.

The background music was used effectively for the most part, though I'll acknowledge that the one piece they played during the last fight sequence is still a bit too wacky and unorthodox, so to speak, for my tastes. But the rest of it was pretty good and the ED theme was very nice.

Finally, I'd also have to imagine that a few ugly frames of regular animation will be significantly tweaked for the disc releases because Sunrise tends to follow that sort of procedure.

-Minsc-

thats interesting, because from my perspective it would take an incredible amount of energy to just go along with everything the Japanese animation industry spews out

yami4ct basically summed up what my response would be.

I just like to limit my media intake as much as possible. If I see something that looks interesting, or get a bunch of recommendations for something, I'll check it out. I miss a lot of stuff, but oh well.

There is a large majority of shows I miss but it's not big deal.

One thing I typically don't do is write up in depth impressions and reviews of shows. I have tried but always spend way too much time staring at the screen contemplating what to write. Then again I do that with every post (including this one).

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
yami4ct basically summed up what my response would be.

There is a large majority of shows I miss but it's not big deal.

One thing I typically don't do is write up in depth impressions and reviews of shows. I have tried but always spend way too much time staring at the screen contemplating what to write. Then again I do that with every post (including this one).

Don't worry, contributions to the discussion in here are always welcome, no matter how large or small they may be.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

-Minsc-

Yeah, it's a trend that's creeping up in episodic television now too. So the cliffhangers have to get bigger and bigger.

You know what's funny? I never watched Dallas but "Who shot JR?" is something that I just know because of how unprecedented that cliffhanger was. All the mythology surrounding it - the fact that they filmed fake endings so that there would be no leaks - including the fact that The Simpsons did a parody of it with "Who shot Mr. Burns?", only exist because of how shocking the idea of a cliffhanger was at the time.

Now, every season of every show ends with someone getting shot, or killed, or kidnapped, or quitting the force, or whatever... and they've become so meaningless that none of them are really cultural events that will last into the next generation.

Like, I can't really think of a single cliffhanger finale for Lost. I mean, "WE HAVE TO GO BACK" is probably the only one that immediately comes to mind but I don't even remember the context of that ending.

I watched 5 or 6 seasons of 24, the show defined by the cliffhanger ending, and I can't remember any of them. I think in one season Jack goes to Africa to save some orphans and he gets captured and returned to the US or something? Who knows.

I don't know if there's a solution to that. David Simon's pseudo-cliffhangery-but-not-really endings to his seasons are pretty good. But then again, no one likes his shows so that's probably not the best way to go about it. lol

Not enough Miracle Trains, clearly!

Did somebody say cliffhanger?

Edit:
Don't worry, contributions to the discussion in here are always welcome, no matter how large or small they may be.

Oh I don't worry. :)

You know, one of these days they'll realize that people with HDTVs will be able to zoom in on their derpy looking establishing shots of the characters.

I'm sure the animators at Toei are aware of that, but the scheduling on these long-running shows is such that they don't have the time to correct and polish all the episodes.

-Minsc-

I just went through a ton of posts. I think I need to go ly dwn again. You guys post too much!

My "catching up" after not checking the forums for over a day generally consists of hitting page down while quickly scanning for those odd Gintama posts. On a day a show I watch goes up on chrunchyroll (such as Space Bros.) I do a more thorough scan.

-Minsc-

Best of Both Worlds is when TNG got good... but then, every season after that had to end on a cliffhanger for no good reason.

Remember when Lore tried to capture Data again and Beverly had to captain the ship? No? Hello? Where are you going?

I think that was sort of when the trend of the season cliffhanger began, really. lol

That's why I posted it. :p

cajunator

Banned
My "catching up" after not checking the forums for over a day generally consists of hitting page down while quickly scanning for those odd Gintama posts. On a day a show I watch goes up on chrunchyroll (such as Space Bros.) I do a more thorough scan.

Serika avatar. You are good peoples.

Instro

This is especially obvious in the scene that introduces the children. It's a very believable childish argument, but the way it is presented is very sophisticated and "adult."

To go along with that, there seemed to be an underlying level of maturity to the children. Some of the things they say, their reactions, some of things going on around them and the environment they live in. On one hand they are trying very hard to be children but there is a sense they are probably being forced to grow up rather quickly. Yeah they do things normal kids would do, but the first episode made it apparent that they have been exposed to some relatively disturbing things growing up that made them seem a bit subdued at times. Perhaps its just the way everything was presented, but it will certainly be interesting to see how their character progression plays out.

Nafe

I don't know how many times just as I was about to make a reply, something would come up and I'd be away from the internet for hours and then four or five new pages were there when I got back. I was going to respond to some things but they're 30 or 40 pages back now so never mind, it wasn't anything important, just things like Psycho Pass's trailer looked kind of slick.

I thought about posting some impressions but held off because I didn't want them to get drowned out in the weekend deluge of posts. I would like to get back to the impressions of Shin Sekai yori later though.

Sailor Moon 26

Zoicite
senses another crystal in some priest
Naru is still sad
over the loss of Nephrite
and happens to be in the cemetery with the priest.
Luna regrets making Sailor Moon the leader. Coulda told you that!
Looks like
Tuxedo Kamen
finally realizes who he is too
after stealing away the crystal from Zoicite
also, Naru X Umino OTP

I think this episode really helps support the notion that the anime adaptation of Sailor Moon seems to hate
Naru
:(

That scene with the priest where he says something like
turn around to see the one you love, or turn around to find happiness and standing there is Zoicite, the person who orchestrated the death of the first person Naru ever really loved...even years ago I thought that was kind of some dark humour :(

This is an Ikuhara directed episode too!

Seriously.

It has been discouraging to see some solid (or at least entertaining) newer posters come, only to swiftly go...for good.

I guess some like Lurky have gone back into lurk mode maybe.

It's a joke. I'm probably one of the happier people here.

I have a general question for you about Binbougami Ga!. Spoilers for those who haven't watched the show...
does "clean Momiji" ever show up in the manga again or was that just a one time thing for this arc?

While this is only a little of what made Lagrange S2 bad, I find that split cours are bad for shows that have any sort of contiguous plot because the show either has to sacrifice an episode in order to broadcast a recap (as Lagrange S2 did) or the viewer has to take it upon themselves to refresh their own memories, which can be an inconvenience.

For instance, I think it speaks to the quality of Fate/Zero's writing that everyone seems to have had excellent recall of the narrative after the three month hiatus. Who here can say that they still remembered the exact nature of the conflict in Lagrange when S2 began? Two space dudes who something something Voxes something something MARU?

If you thought that was bad, Horizon did the split cour thing without any kind of recap and many people seem to have a hard enough time figuring out what's going on in each individual episode, never mind over a few months break.

Personally I never found Rinne no Lagrange to be really confusing or convoluted, just not that great of a story in the grand scheme of things.

She would probably not watch any more Fate Zero.
I have hundreds of shows so she would definitely find something else to enjoy.
She's just very busy with substitute teaching and housework and cant really sit down often to watch.

Did you receive your box set for Usagi Drop yet? That seems like it would be a show your parents might enjoy.

I can kind of relate. I told myself that AnimeGAF was going to be my last stop on the line for the internet anime community before giving up and watching anime in complete solitude forever. I'd tried virtually every other major English-language hub for discussion and never fit in anywhere due to a near-total disparity in opinions with the vast majority of people who frequent those sites, so when I found a community that actually a.) had self-awareness about their own hobby, b.) had the ability to be highly critical without being assholish and could actually articulate good justifications for their criticism, and c.) generally disliked vapid otaku-pander anime while rejecting the notion that modern anime was universally terrible, I was excited at the prospect that I'd finally found an outlet for my thoughts.

I've said it before but I'm glad you stayed. :)

I agree with the bolded, many people have expressed their distaste of "Staff Whoring" but I personally find those conversations interesting and I like to know about the people who were involved in the shows I like and maybe how they were able to achieve some of the things they did.

I also quite like point B in your comment, not only do people discuss the oral narrative of a show but the visual narrative and techniques used. I like it when people talk about all the details such as framing, angles, lighting and the general scene flow and the different effects they achieve. A quick example is the conversations of Hyouka, such as Episode 3 with Oreki and Chitanda at the coffe shop. A simpler and more recent one would be one of the details Jexhius pointed out to people incase they missed it in the first episode of From the New World. The dinner conversation seems normal and the shot is framed such as the whole family is seen in the shot adding to the normalcy of the atmosphere but as the conversation becomes more heated the characters are separated and now only shown framed as two separate groups visually showing the discrepancy and segregation in their views and opinions.

It's also nice that while people can enjoy and talk about many older shows, they realize there are still many good new shows being made such as Fate/Zero, Tsuritama and Usagi Drop just to name a quick few.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm sure the animators at Toei are aware of that, but the scheduling on these long-running shows is such that they don't have the time to correct and polish all the episodes.

Kids can't tell the difference etc etc.

Best of Both Worlds is when TNG got good... but then, every season after that had to end on a cliffhanger for no good reason.

Remember when Lore tried to capture Data again and Beverly had to captain the ship? No? Hello? Where are you going?

I think that was sort of when the trend of the season cliffhanger began, really. lol

hey, eff you man, Descent was amazing!

Narag

I just looked this up and I realize that all of the series highlights thus far (up to & including the amazing episode 31) have been Ikuni-directed episodes.

bow.gif

Something I picked up on his eps, and I have no idea why, but Luna (and later Artemis) tend to be better animated. Maybe I'm crazy but they seemed to have been handled with much more care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom