• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

I think it was Westlo who mentioned something along the lines of "...the effect of Nyarlko wears off after a few episodes." I'm on episode 3 of Nyaruko and it's already starting to feel like that. Kind of the same jokes every show with only a little development.

That's more or less how I felt.

Episode 1 - Oh man that awesome.
Episode 2 - Okay that was considerably less awesome.
Episode 3 - Well that was better than the last one at least.
Episode 4 - Some good moments but this is getting kinda stupid.
Episode 5 - Yeah fuck this show.

wonzo

Banned
Finishing Nichijou and K-On! so close together has depressed me so I haven't really been watching anime lately lol

real life is also being fucking awful right now
Sounds like a job for Hidamari Sketch.

I think it was Westlo who mentioned something along the lines of "...the effect of Nyarlko wears off after a few episodes." I'm on episode 3 of Nyaruko and it's already starting to feel like that. Kind of the same jokes every show with only a little development.
Yeah, do yourself a favour and drop it like I did.

jman2050

You should probably stop now then.

From the New World 1

Nx2My.jpg
OUyD7.jpg

This was a terrific, brilliantly stylistic episode that served as a great introduction into this strange, unsettling tale, as it immediately immerses the viewers into the bizarre nature of their world. Although this episode contained a rather lengthy amount of informative exposition and world-building, it was woven into the story very well, never slipping into an uninteresting lull.

The opening sequence was incredible. Firstly, we're temporarily shown the
phenomenon that permanently altered the course of their world, as a portion of humans suddenly acquire unique powers, and then proceed to slaughter the others, while then showcasing brief, gruesome flashes of the resulting carnage
. I particularly enjoyed the practical effect of distorting the visuals as a means to portray the oppressive madness of the situation. Following these scenes is a surprisingly mature, beautifully simplistic introduction of the children, as their silhouettes converse beneath the purple sunset. The music used for the opening, then leading to the appearance of the title card, was simply phenomenal.

Saki's continual perspective throughout the episode was a necessary viewpoint, as it created a masterfully depicted cohesion out of many disparate developments, never losing focus or dragging on a specific point for too long.

The dinner scene was terrific, as it allowed insight into Saki's emotions, contrasting the moments of veritable peace between her and her parents with the actual anger hidden beneath her due to the inter-woven sequence in which she overhears her parents revealing previously untold and horrifying truths. There seems to be an obvious separation between those who acquire magical abilities and those that are unfortunately left lacking in that area, and their true fate, although hinted at, is still partially obscured. It appears that awakening these abilities creates a sort of traversal into adulthood

The tale of the man crossing the holy barrier was amazingly animated and really interesting, but it seems very possible that his encountering of a fiend upon crossing the barrier is simply a fabrication endlessly recited to keep the children from leaving
, thus creating a heavily restricted society where the children lean on the unchallenged morals and rules of their elders, constantly refraining from wandering across the edge of the super-imposed
holy barrier
. All of this is partially brought about by a noticeable naivety, since they certainly don't appear to be acutely aware of the
secrets that surround them
. A disturbing, ominous calm pervaded throughout the entire episode, particularly whenever the story lingered for a moment on
Reiko
, allowing a subtle dread to creep into the proceedings, culminating with the closing realization that
she had disappeared

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the characters develop, as it seems inevitable that a
significant darkness will befall them, tearing them out of their relative calm
. As it is, they're basically trapped in this controlled, uniformed isolation, seemingly lacking a considerable amount of knowledge, particularly pertaining to the subtly discomforting nature of their world, thus creating an existence that's teetering on the edge of destruction.

I really enjoyed how a plethora of initially unknown and vague terminology, such as the
Copycats and Cantus
, were thrown into the narrative right at the beginning, since it adds a mysterious, yet intriguing element to the mix.

I particularly liked the moment when,
during the ritual, Saki's contained Cantus was pierced, and as the blood siphons out towards the papers edge, there's a momentary glimpse of her anguished expression
, effectively highlighting how difficult and somewhat painful this portion of the
ritual must have been
. This moment benefited considerably by the very impressive use of rather quick edits.

Another one of my favorite scenes is when
Saki's abilities initially awaken
, as this once tranquil moment was thrown into a particular chaos and momentary state of turmoil. The excellently dynamic animation allowed this sequence to really shine. The character designs look considerably better in motion, and are actually quite effective in portraying a subtle dichotomy between their relatively innocent exteriors and the seemingly bleak, strictly regulated world they inhabit.

The story is extremely intriguing, as it refrains from divulging too much initially, leaving much of the complexities involving this mysterious world to the speculative imagination. Of course, all of these hidden truths brilliantly foreshadow an unavoidably tragic future, thus constructing a very compelling tale.

The production qualities were thoroughly impressive all around. The direction is probably the best element, as it often elevated rather simple scenes, such as the
introductory conversation
and the
dinner scene
, demonstrating a deftly skilled prowess with the visual aspect. This distinctly visual style of storytelling is very impressive, creating an aesthetic that is quite striking in it's diversity, highlighted especially in the fantastic use of coloring. Also, another great aspect of the production is the cinematography, which was understated, but highly effective.

The pacing was handled extremely well, occasionally weaving in significant flashbacks and intermittently cutting to other moments and conversations, while never faltering in it's execution. The tone throughout was consistently foreboding, as a darkly ominous atmosphere permeated the episode, never relinquishing it's tense grip even during the "lighter" moments. The music is quite excellent and suitably haunting, as it really illuminates the eerie ambiance and emotional significance of several sequences. As such, the ED was pretty great, since the song blends quite well with the tone of the rest of the episode.

All in all, this was a highly impressive and thoroughly interesting start to the most promising show of the season.

Branduil

I think the ceremony looked like a 'show'. They were just telling her these things and making her believe that they are doing something to her and she believed them, but throwing a paper into the fire probably has no effect on her powers I think. Is this how they are trying to keep the kids under their own influence? just speculating

That was certainly the impression I get, especially with the intellectual dishonesty of the
"You gave up your powers, that means you get to keep them!"
thing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think we'll eventually reach a point when every single non-abstract storytelling mechanism will be overused and banalized, haha.
I suppose as more and more people are able to tell stories in a variety of media, there really will be no new ideas. :p

We've hit the cliff-hanger singularity.
I just wonder what the next big thing is. Louie is great, but no one watches that either. lol

Of course! You somehow missed the infamous Shin Sekai Yori
sex chart
, I take it?

Apparently, whichever hetero/yaoi/yuri pairing you want to ship
probably already exists!
I know who I'm rooting for...
I have no idea how that chart works... triangles and lines and arrows...!

Are you kidding me? Every single season finale in Lost was a goddamn cliffhanger.

Season 1 = Hatch
Season 2 = "We're the good guys." + Guys in Arctic
Season 3 = "We have to go back"
Season 4 = Coffin reveal
Season 5 =
Jacob's death

I know each season had a finale. It's just that none of them are as iconic as a finale from 40 years ago. It could also be that there's just more TV so there's a lot more noise, but the idea of the cliffhanger went from something that was shocking to something that is mildly amusing/annoying.

She can't stand Japanese music(at least of what she's heard me listening to), and the image she has in her head of anime art is apparently actively repulsive.

She was a big Nip/Tuck fan, as well, so you're probably right about the Murphyism.
I suppose she would hate K-On then. And damn, how can anyone like Nip/Tuck!

It's called an opening hook.
I have no idea what this means.

Finishing Nichijou and K-On! so close together has depressed me so I haven't really been watching anime lately lol

real life is also being fucking awful right now
Ah, well, hope everything works out for you soon!

cajunator

Banned
Shrug. Tell that to my Scrapped Princess R2 collection on the shelf.

Scrapped Princess in the US wasnt exactly cheap either. At least not to get all the figurines.
In total I spent $45 per LE volume box and it was for 6 boxes. Almost 300 bucks including tax!

duckroll

Scrapped Princess in the US wasnt exactly cheap either. At least not to get all the figurines.
In total I spent $45 per LE volume box and it was for 6 boxes. Almost 300 bucks including tax!

Which figures did the US release have? I doubt they could have had them all, since there were much fewer volumes...

Uchip

Banned

i only paid like 60NZ for my scrapped princess box

an opening hook is basically a scene or event that hooks the audience and intrigues them about a show. It makes them come back for week two.

well, i know the hook in rap music is what makes the track memorable, so I guess that translates to anime

Branduil

Best of Both Worlds is when TNG got good... but then, every season after that had to end on a cliffhanger for no good reason.

Remember when Lore tried to capture Data again and Beverly had to captain the ship? No? Hello? Where are you going?

I think that was sort of when the trend of the season cliffhanger began, really. lol

Man, the "action" of TNG really hasn't aged well, lol. Oh well, I still love it.

cajunator

Banned
Which figures did the US release have? I doubt they could have had them all, since there were much fewer volumes...

Well, the first two volumes came with huge figures about a foot tall. Pacifica and Raquel Casull. Then it went to smaller ones of Pacifica, Raquel, Shannon, two of Zefiris for some reason, and some blue haired girl I forgot the name of.

After a bit of research the other Zefiris lookalike is Arfi and the blue haired girl is Ciz.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
an opening hook is basically a scene or event that hooks the audience and intrigues them about a show. It makes them come back for week two.
Ah, for some reason I thought "hook" was "book". Maybe I need to get my eyes checked.

And like I said, I just think there are problems with using dramatic irony as a hook - in this type of fiction in particular.

The lines with arrows indicate that
one character is in love with the one the arrow is pointing to
; the lines without arrows connect characters who
have sex together
Wow, complicated. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Movie Kickstarters are so weird. 15 dollars for the SD movie, 30 dollars for HD? I know you're not actually buying the movie, you're paying to support them, but it's just weird.

yami4ct

Tsuritama 01
Oh boy, this show guys. This freaking show. It has everything. It has an interesting premise and characters, the writing is hilarious and top notch, it's supremely well animated and it's short. This show is a dream come true.

To do an actual review, I loved everything about it. We get to see a great trio of mains who all bring something interesting to the table. We get an interesting set-up for a conflict and an original backdrop of fishing. Also, did I see that right? A
Duck
as a villain? I couldn't stop laughing. The animation is also really, really good. The colors and style they use really pop. They give it a great poppy soundtrack as well to keep it moving. So good.

Tsuritama 01
Oh boy, this show guys. This freaking show. It has everything. It has an interesting premise and characters, the writing is hilarious and top notch, it's supremely well animated and it's short. This show is a dream come true.

To do an actual review, I loved everything about it. We get to see a great trio of mains who all bring something interesting to the table. We get an interesting set-up for a conflict and an original backdrop of fishing. Also, did I see that right? A
Duck
as a villain? I couldn't stop laughing. The animation is also really, really good. The colors and style they use really pop. They give it a great poppy soundtrack as well to keep it moving. So good.

It only gets better!

OceanBlue

All I know is that with all of the complaints about how anime is creatively dead nowadays due to "moe" or whatever, this should be people's chance to actually make a difference without hiding behind things like import fees and not being in Japan. Hopefully people step up to the plate! It's their chance to put their money where their mouth is.

(I won't though because I like the "safe" anime. :D)

Dresden

Tsuritama 01

Duck

Good news is that the writing continues to build up the characters while delivering a satisfying ramp-up and conclusion. One of the best this year. It's almost like the folks working on it knew how to tell a story.

Emitan

All I know is that with all of the complaints about how anime is creatively dead nowadays due to "moe" or whatever, this should be people's chance to actually make a difference without hiding behind things like import fees and not being in Japan. Hopefully people step up to the plate! It's their chance to put their money where their mouth is.

(I won't though because I like the "safe" anime. :D)

I like my boring high school moé anime :T

Branduil

I have no idea what this means.

Let's assume that people don't have time to watch every show in the world, because they usually don't. In that case, you are competing with other forms of entertainment for people's time. This means that how you open a show is vital, because it's in the first few moments that you can make or break your audience. So it's usually advisable to try and "hook" viewers with a scene that's exciting, and that relates to main themes and tone of the show.

OceanBlue

Let's assume that people don't have time to watch every show in the world, because they usually don't. In that case, you are competing with other forms of entertainment for people's time. This means that how you open a show is vital, because it's in the first few moments that you can make or break your audience. So it's usually advisable to try and "hook" viewers with a scene that's exciting, and that relates to main themes and tone of the show.
I like the idea that an opening is a promise to the viewers. You promise what you want them to expect, and you're expected to deliver on those promises.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

An interesting example of this is TTGL. It opens with a bombastic scene that really has no actual relation to the rest of the show, but does an excellent job of portraying the style the rest of the show follows.

Tsuritama 01

Duck

DUCK!!
WZcSB.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Tsuritama 01

Duck

Is it okay if I welcome you to AnimeGAF for the second time in a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom