• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps one of the most annoying anime tropes:

A person's life is in dire IMMEDIATE danger but their savior pauses to have an argument about saving them with someone who’s telling them not to go. Why do people keep creating these kinds of scenes? To build suspense... sure if you think your audience are a bunch of brain dead freaks who wouldn't notice such a thing. Why?!!

OceanBlue

It's mostly just to get the discussion out of here. Half of this thread was talk about SAO.

To be honest, SAO discussion hasn't moved much. You can find some fun one-liners and nice one-post jokes from some of the regulars in the OT though.

A person's life is in dire IMMEDIATE danger but their savior pauses to have an argument about saving them with someone who’s telling them not to go. Why do people keep creating these kinds of scenes? To build suspense... sure if you think your audience are a bunch of brain dead freaks who wouldn't notice such a thing. Why?!!

Don't they do this in TV and movies too?

To be honest, SAO discussion hasn't moved much. You can find some fun one-liners and nice one-post jokes from some of the regulars in the OT though.

Don't they do this in TV and movies too?

Yeah but why watch those things when one can watch more anime?

Edit:
I mean I don't know who to blame here: the director? The writer? Whoever it is needs to find better times to have these conversations or get creative with how they mask it. Examples of where I see it done well is when the argument is had on the way or in the process of achieving something until it comes down to the moment of no return. When done like that, the inflection point is a brief moment. Another interesting approach is the flashback where one can tell the story of the universe if they choose. I personally am not a fan since it breaks continuity but it doesn't leave you questioning the sanity of the characters involved.

Firemind

Can you make a SAO AMV with this? Thanks.

saonotsureifserious.jpg

cajunator

Banned

Yeah this trope sucks.
"No Dont go! Its too dangerous!"
It might as well be saying "fuck that character in trouble! Save yourself!"
You know the hero cant do that. You also know immediately how it will end.
On rare occasions, the show will throw a curveball, but not often enough.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So the awesome Chuunibyo ED is for those web episodes only? :(

Guess I'll never get crisp frames for avatar purposes so everyone can sport one.

Jarmel

Banned
So finally got around to watching Spirited Away. Is there a really good analysis of the movie because it feels like I missed a shitload of cultural references.

I tend to delete screenshots after I'm done with them but for some reason I still have this.

I key quality of a Tragic Hero is they always fail to protect everything they set out to protect. I hope they don't Grave of the Firefly Kirito ;_;

Like hell they would ever take that kind of risk with a cash cow like SAO

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The first radio show for Chuunibyo Demo Koi ga Shitai! just went live, and it included previews of the show's real OP and ED, which I have shared with you below:

OP: "Sparkling Daydream" by ZAQ
http://minus.com/lb2c1Qr36GKo5j

ED: "INSIDE IDENTITY" by Black Raison d'être (Maaya Uchida, Chinatsu Akasaki, Azumi Asakura, Sumire Uesaka)
http://minus.com/lg7L0fRveBcHn

The ending in particular sounds awesome. Can't wait to see the animation for it.

If you want to listen to the whole 45-minute radio show, for some reason, you can find it here on Nicovideo.
I've heard this OP before. I don't know where though. I don't really like it but at least the "DOO DAH DAH DAH DAH" is distinctive. The ED song is rad though. I'm really glad it isn't the one from the Lite episode. I hated that.

survivor

Banned
Moyashimon Returns 7

France looked pretty good. I wish they did more scenery/building shots, but maybe they are saving it for the future episodes. I really like the backgrounds of the show and the heavy usage of shading. While they are not as stylish or creative as the ones in Sengoku Collection, they still looked pretty good to me.

cajunator

Banned
So the awesome Chuunibyo ED is for those web episodes only? :(

Guess I'll never get crisp frames for avatar purposes so everyone can sport one.

At least it exists in these short episodes. Good enough for me.

I've heard this OP before. I don't know where though. I don't really like it but at least the "DOO DAH DAH DAH DAH" is distinctive. The ED song is rad though. I'm really glad it isn't the one from the Lite episode. I hated that.

Its a new song, but the problem is it sounds like a million other OP's, which is why its so familiar. Its very generic.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Its a new song, but the problem is it sounds like a million other OP's, which is why its so familiar. Its very generic.
No, I'm quite certain that I've heard it before. Possibly in content related to Chuu2.

OceanBlue

Yeah but why watch those things when one can watch more anime?

Edit:
I mean I don't know who to blame here: the director? The writer? Whoever it is needs to find better times to have these conversations or get creative with how they mask it. Examples of where I see it done well is when the argument is had on the way or in the process of achieving something until it comes down to the moment of no return. When done like that, the inflection point is a brief moment. Another interesting approach is the flashback where one can tell the story of the universe if they choose. I personally am not a fan since it breaks continuity but it doesn't leave you questioning the sanity of the characters involved.

The writer is to blame. Ideally, the viewer should be in a position where the characters don't have to explain why the scene should impact the viewer as much as it should. The viewer should understand why a character is struggling to make a choice implicitly. If you see a scene like this, it means the writer failed to build up the scene properly either through poor characterization or poor plot escalation.

Edit: On the other hand, the director could also implicitly show that the character is uncomfortable with a choice he's making through body language or something. Either way, it requires an implicit understanding of the character or scenario which I assume doesn't exist for whatever you're talking about.

No, I'm quite certain that I've heard it before. Possibly in content related to Chuu2.

It was used in one of the PVs. The not-chuunibyou one.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Haibane Renmei 13 - END

Could it have possibly ended any other way?

Still my favorite show of all time. Creates such a neat, living world, without nitpicking every detail about it. I loved the characters from this show, but I honestly would welcome a new series just to return to that world, even if the cast was entirely different.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Sword Art Online 13

Alright, despite my proclamations of love for all things Kawahara, most of my episode impressions for this show have been at least 50% complaints and rage. But this episode was so damn good.

Feels were felt. Fists were pumped. Boners were rocketed into low orbit.

Why can't it be this on-point all the time?

Also, maybe it's just my imagination since I don't understand Japanese, but Kirito's VA seems really awesome. A bit late to be pointing this out, I suppose, but it really stood out to me here.

I can't tell if you're serious or not cuz most people hated all things Asuna in the episode.

cajunator

Banned
Still my favorite show of all time. Creates such a neat, living world, without nitpicking every detail about it. I loved the characters from this show, but I honestly would welcome a new series just to return to that world, even if the cast was entirely different.

High five.
Same here.
Best anime of all time right there.

sonicmj1

What BONES Could Learn from Haibane Renmei - anime.ign.com

I can't tell if you're serious or not cuz most people hated all things Asuna in the episode.
I've liked most of the interactions between Kirito and Asuna. I'm a sucker for straightforward romances, especially when there's sexy time involved.

Other than Lizbeth's episode and some cheap feels from episode three, Asuna's waifu speech about falling in love with Kirito is probably the only other time that the show has managed to get to me emotionally.

Star Driver - Vague random final impressions or something

I ended up enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would, given how largely formulaic and repetitive it can be. I think a lot of this is due to the show's design choices, particularly character and mechanical. I loved the Kiroboshi versions of all those characters and their associated Cybodies were all very unique and interesting. I'll admit that way back when I watched one episode and put it on hold that I wasn't crazy about Tauburn's design, but it really grew on me when I watched it through this time.

The story, while not perfect, was more than serviceable. Everything that took place in Zero Time was probably my favorite part of the show. The Cybody fights were all entertaining and well choreographed, especially as the series progressed.

I should also mention that I really like the soundtrack, especially Monochrome (though I really prefer the version that leads into the Cybody fights but couldn't find it). The second OP (Shining Star) really grew on me as well.

Glad I picked up the BD's for this...a very enjoyable series indeed.

Next up is Fantastic Children thanks to recommendations from duckroll, among others.

I ended up enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would, given how largely formulaic and repetitive it can be. I think a lot of this is due to the show's design choices, particularly character and mechanical. I loved the Kiroboshi versions of all those characters and their associated Cybodies were all very unique and interesting. I'll admit that way back when I watched one episode and put it on hold that I wasn't crazy about Tauburn's design, but it really grew on me when I watched it through this time.

Story wise, while not perfect, was more than serviceable. Everything that took place in Zero Time was probably my favorite part of the show. The Cybody fights were all entertaining and well choreographed, especially as the series progressed.

I should also mention that I really like the soundtrack, especially Monochrome (though I really prefer the version that leads into the Cybody fights but couldn't find it). The second OP (Shining Star) really grew on me as well.

Next up is Fantastic Children thanks to recommendations from duckroll, among others.

Monochrome is amazing, I missed it. Tauburn was amazing especially dual swords, I miss Star Driver.

Put down $60 for Yuasa's kickstarter. His stuff has been hit or miss for me, but I figure trying to support this sort of thing is a good thing for the industry.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Story wise, while not perfect, was more than serviceable. Everything that took place in Zero Time was probably my favorite part of the show. The Cybody fights were all entertaining and well choreographed, especially as the series progressed.

You bought the BD? Wow. Dedication, right there.

duckroll

Wait, it starts in 5 mins? But it doesn't air in Japan for another 1 hour 40 mins. Wow. Wut? What do we call a simulcast before the JP airing?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
We can only hope for more specials of
her and Kyuuru in the bath together or something.
I cherished that one moment, and dammit they can give us more.

Seriously! Here's hoping
Lisara's mom gets some love too in those specials.

I havent watched this, but this screenshots usage of colors is pretty fascinating. Is it common in the show?

Unfortunately no. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom