• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

The question is... will they keep it up?

I think the first 2-3 days will be vital. After 72 hours, if it's not close to or over 100k, it might be an issue. People should also keep in mind that they're really lowballing the goal. At 150k it's really only a 10 min short. They're clearly hoping deep down that it surpasses that goal, so they have more money to do a longer piece, and to shop it to more film festivals around the world, etc.

That's my read on it anyway.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I mean, am I being too hard on all of this? The episode was mostly tolerable until everything came together (lol sandwich death etc etc), but when all of that happened, just..........I don't know what else to say.

Nope, you're not.

Killing off an awesome looking character like Griselda in the first place is a crime in itself. That whole spirit thing at the end was incredibly cheesy.

BluWacky

Wow, already so many pages. You guys are fast even without new anime shown.

40 minutes to Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun on Crunchy!!!!!

it's been a slow work day and I'm going to the theatre tonight to see a musical about the invention of e-mail, I need something to keep me going

Branduil

So finally got around to watching Spirited Away. Is there a really good analysis of the movie because it feels like I missed a shitload of cultural references.

I'm sure someone will link you to the article about how the movie is all about Marxism.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I just realized... Pierrot's brain will probably break after watching episode 12 of SAO.

If it was worse than this, then, well...

KJpzvl.png

Is it the one where
Kirito has the opportunity to hack the game but doesn't for some dumbshit reason
?

Kagami

Catching up on some anime shopping.

cidq0.jpg

Final volumes of Bodacious Space Pirates, Waiting in the Summer, and Haganai.
Also the Haganai OVA, which seems to be getting pretty positive impressions so looking forward to that.

zbReA.jpg

Queen's Blade Rebellion vols. 2-4, with the 4-6 artbox.

2PtfK.jpg

Aim for the Top! (Gunbuster) 2 BD box
I love the first Gunbuster, but never got around to watching the sequel so this is a blind-buy.
I'd been planning on renting it somewhere first before dropping the money on it, but I gave into impulse on my last trip to Amazon.co.jp and here it is.
Hopefully it was a good decision!

Misc other books and CDs:
http://i.imgur.com/OSe0S.jpg
K-On! movie songs, Mardock Scramble 3 theme song by Hayashibara, Komatsu Mikako mini-album "Cosmic Extra," w/Bodacious Space Pirates songs, Satou "Inazuma" Shouji artbook (Highschool of the Dead, etc.), and various other things.

Aniplex and Crunchyroll got Zetsuen no Tempest

Aniplex of America announces the new anime series Blast of Tempest will be streaming on Crunchyroll. This brand new animated murder-mystery is one of the highly anticipated series of this fall. A couple hours after its broadcast in Japan, Blast of Tempest will be available for streaming in the following territories: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. The 1st episode will premiere at 10:00am PST on Thursday, October 4th for Crunchyroll premium members. Free members will be able to view Blast of Tempest one week after initial broadcast on Crunchyroll (www.crunchyroll.com/zetsuen).

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
If it was worse than this, then, well...

KJpzvl.png

Is it the one where
Kirito has the opportunity to hack the game but doesn't for some dumbshit reason
?

You have no idea.

I think episode 11 will leave your mind numb, though, so you won't be as shocked as you normally would.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=n:561958,k:ジョジョ&keywords=ジョジョ

Jojo's Bizarre Adventures DVD/BDs announced. 9 volume set, so that pretty much confirms that it is a 2-cour show. The Blu-rays will have English Subtitles. The Blu-rays also have an incentive where if you buy all the volumes you can exchange for a special figure set of Jojo and Dio.

Blu-ray pricing = 8,190yen per volume
DVD pricing = 3,990yen per volume

Is the gulf between BD and DVD pricing normally that large? I can only presume this is because of the figurine promotion.

Branduil

Haibane Renmei 13 - END

Could it have possibly ended any other way?

This episode had some of the tightest focus of any episode so far, and it absolutely delivered. I feel like I've already seen variations on the
cold-hearted 'rejection' by a character who doesn't truly mean it for one reason or another
scene before, but it was done very well here. Facial expressions and detailed animation give truth to the words. And then when
Reki faces damnation and nothingness
, the art steps up to the task of conveying the emotional intensity of that sequence. It built to exactly the sort of satisfying climax I wanted.

Haibane Renmei is a really great show for a lot of reasons. It builds a nice mythology with enough gaps to remain mysterious throughout, and that mythology infuses the setting with a lot of life. But the setting ultimately serves the story of Rakka and Reki, and it's great how it lets its characters organically develop. The show starts slow, but I think now that the unassuming beginning hides a lot of important moments in Rakka's growth that the show doesn't telegraph very much. Without my realizing it, she suddenly had a lot of definition, as did Reki. And by starting small and building slowly, it earned its moments of melodrama.

There's a lot I could talk about with the show. I think that one could easily discuss the way spirituality ties into the show's themes of loneliness, friendship, and forgiveness at length. I'm not going to bother with that, but I'll say I was very, very pleased with how it turned out.

It's definitely something I'd recommend.

More Haibane Renmei nakama are always welcome.

duckroll

Proofreading!

Interesting that Tempest is only available to predominantly English-speaking countries.

They didn't call the tree "Tree of Blast", though, so I suppose that's better than nothing.

If they were going for the World's End thing, they should have just called the show "Tempest at the World's End" or something.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Dude,
they get a daughter.
it's freaking surreal.

Somehow, the fact that I already know what happens in all of these episodes seems unlikely to dull the horror I'll experience when I actually witness these things play out.

Branduil

Kaonashi might have come from Miyazaki's subconsciousness. I can't help but associate him with two infamous pedophiles. Of course, the first one is Lewis Caroll, who collected nude photos of little girls, including Alice. Miyazaki is so fascinated by Alice that he ripped off the face of the Cheshire Cat for his famous TOTORO's face and the Cat Bus. And the another pedphile Miyazaki reminds me of is Tsutomu Miyazaki (no relation), who kidnapped three preschool girls in the 1980s and killed them. In the court, he told his dream where he played in flower garden with girls he killed. I know the association is too impolite to discuss for a respectable children's film director like Hayao Miyazaki. That might be why no one wants to discuss the sexual elements in Sen to Chihiro.

ibv2kGu653ksIw.gif

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Somehow, the fact that I already know what happens in all of these episodes seems unlikely to dull the horror I'll experience when I actually witness these things play out.

You and I should talk. I'll help you at least ease through SAO and make it more bearable.

/XX/

That scene was really neat-looking.
It's similar to the style Yamashita used in his Naruto Shippuden ED (sorry for the poor YouTube video), only more refined.
The '.GIF generation' rocks! I hope close associate ryo-timo tags along as well for this series...

Aliens
, huh? Interesting..
Alien-robots-from-the-moon
, specifically. Also search for image macros using 'enelmoon.jpg' (or alternatively 'moonel.jpg'), some of those always crack me up!

That was certainly the impression I get, especially with the intellectual dishonesty of the
"You gave up your powers, that means you get to keep them!"
thing.
Yeah, could be. Personally, I saw it like that as well, 'Cantus' "purification" so the children don't fully recognize the potential of their powers too soon, maybe only subconsciously after that well staged ritual... seeing that the elder priest appeared to exert (like a 'shaman' of sorts would do) a true power that even made Saki pass out at the end of that ceremony. It is quite in the air how much of that is mental control based on indoctrination or not, but I'm inclined to believe on the manipulation based on retrograde beliefs as essential as a whole on that society's remains. Or maybe they are not fully aware themselves, and for them it is simply a tradition they continue to pass on continuously without reflecting on its meaning or consequences.

Good to know. I hope Gainax delivers with the fights. I'm only watching this because of you! I'm counting on the action!
If there is anyone left by the time they end working for this series!

I wonder if we'll see any prominent figures take up the cause on Twitter? No-ones tried this kind of thing with anime before, after all.
Strictly speaking of a Japanese studio producing animation for a project, there was this earlier (and successfully funded!):

Cristina Vee's animated music video! Studio A.P.P.P Japan by Cristina Vee — Kickstarter
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/755475144/cristina-vees-animated-music-video-studio-appp-jap

Kagami

Sword Art Online 06:

oh god
Haha. I stopped watching SAO after ep 4, but this sounds like exactly what I'd expect from it.

SAO almost feels like one of those fictional satirical shows that appear inside another show.
I can just see the Haganai crew gathered around the TV watching this. Kodaka's face is twitching in disbelief. He turns to Sena to comment on how ridiculous it is, only to find tears are pouring down her face and she begins gushing about how much of a masterpiece SAO is.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You and I should talk. I'll help you at least ease through SAO and make it more bearable.

Can we talk about how Asuna is the worst character? Because I find I could speak at great length on this one subject.

Haha. I stopped watching SAO after ep 4, but this sounds like exactly what I'd expect from it.

SAO almost feels like one of those fictional satirical shows that appear inside another show.
I can just see the Haganai crew gathered around the TV watching this. Kodaka's face is twitching in disbelief. He turns to Sena to comment on how ridiculous it is, only to find tears are pouring down her face and she begins gushing about how much of a masterpiece SAO is.

This has to be the best description of the essence of SAO that I've read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom