• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

rozen maiden - 10

Losing interest in the timemagicalternatedolldimension shenanigans. The more it gets away from Jun's plight, the more I find myself feeling detached from the experience. I have no real attachment to the dolls, and the story of the Rosa Mysticas and the doll game may as well be in another language. Well, it is, but you know.

Episode felt haphazard, almost reminiscent of episode one in that respect. Some weird editing that didn't convey sequence very well. I liked the visual representation of Jun achieving self-realization, though, the black confines of the prisonthing shattering away to reveal the light.

Rewatch Digimon Tamers 5

ydk439j.jpg

Took em five episodes to meet something that appeared in Episode 1. That be Culumon. That being said, I do like the card mechanic because it means having Rookie Digimon being useful instead of just being portable sized avatars that can't do much on their own, which I guess is a criticism for older seasons.

Blagumon seems to be understanding more things and is more capable of making sentences, but he's still child-like as ever.

At some point, Rika will have to realize she's being a terrible person, although she can at least rest easy in knowing that she wasn't the Digimon Kaiser at least.

Other things: Takato still doesn't have stock footage for swiping a card. What a fucking lamer.

21073347464b3d33023c167.gif

i guess it's time to be hyped for fall season

Still watching tier
-hunter x hunter
-Dokidoki precure

Still watching but what is wrong with me tier
-Sain seya Omega

Hyped as fuck for it tier
-SAMURAI FLAMENCO
-GINGITSUNE
-KYOUKAI NO KANATA
-KILL LA KILL
-NAGI NO ASUKARA
-PHI BRAIN SEASON 3

Will watch because it look intresting tier
-KYOUSOGIGA TV
-GALILEI DONNA
-YOZAKURA QUARTET: HANA NO UTA
-COPPELION
-NON NON BIYORI
-LOG HORIZON
-BLAZBLUE ALTER MEMORY
-INFINITE STRATOS 2 ( will the main character be denser than in the first season ? )
-TOKYO RAVENS
-UNBREAKABLE MACHINE-DOLL

My backlog it hurts Tier
-Rozenmaiden
-valvrave

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME tier
-Gundam build fighters
-ARPEGGIO OF BLUE STEEL
-GOLDEN TIME
-MAGI S2 ( only episode 1 )
-YUUSHA NI NARENAKATTA ORE WA SHIBUSHIBU SHUUSHOKU WO KETSUI SHIMASHITA (Yusibu)

Is Saint Seiya a good show? I've been looking for another good shounen anime to watch ever since I got done with HxH2011, but I'm coming up with nothing. I already watched Beelzebub and Gintama, and I'm currently watching One piece and HxH2011.

I've been trying to get into Toriko, but I'm losing interest and it has many personal pet peeves that I don't like. So is Saint Seiya worth it?

Narag

Is Saint Seiya a good show? I've been looking for another good shounen anime to watch ever since I got done with HxH2011, but I'm coming up with nothing. I already watched Beelzebub and Gintama, and I'm currently watching One piece and HxH2011.

I've been trying to get into Toriko, but I'm losing interest and it has many personal pet peeves that I don't like. So is Saint Seiya worth it?

Watch Code: Breaker instead. It's short and good!

rozen maiden - 10

Losing interest in the timemagicalternatedolldimension shenanigans. The more it gets away from Jun's plight, the more I find myself feeling detached from the experience. I have no real attachment to the dolls, and the story of the Rosa Mysticas and the doll game may as well be in another language. Well, it is, but you know.

Being part of the Rozen Maiden franchise is definitely the biggest flaw of the show, as there's no getting around the fact that the dolls are just less interesting than Jun is. Still, Kirakishou's tale was presented in a fairly compelling manner.

Episode felt haphazard, almost reminiscent of episode one in that respect. Some weird editing that didn't convey sequence very well. I liked the visual representation of Jun achieving self-realization, though, the black confines of the prisonthing shattering away to reveal the light.

Episode 10 is the low point in this regard, mainly because it tried to cram in a little too much material. The remaining episodes are more focused.

If you plan on watching Saint Seiya Omega, just watch the Duckroll approved episodes and don't bother with the rest.

1, 3, 10, 20, 27, 33, 40, 48-51

InuYasha 32

Well just when I think there can't be a dumber character in the series Kikyo shows up to remind me that she too can't logically think her actions though. Good job giving Naraku a new body you fool -.-

Does anyone have an opinion on Last Exile: Fam?

I saw a trailer while I was watching Michiko & Hatchin on Blu-Ray yesterday, and the animation looks gorgeous. Is the content of the actual show worth watching, or is it a pale imitation of the original series?

I'm so disappointed that the Last Exile blu-ray collection was canned. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I saw a trailer while I was watching Michiko & Hatchin on Blu-Ray yesterday, and the animation looks gorgeous. Is the content of the actual show worth watching, or is it a pale imitation of the original series?

I thought it was fine up until the middle-to-final arc, at which point the villain's plan became tedious and overplayed. Much like in the new Railgun and Symphogear seasons that just ended.

CorvoSol

Arti's poll reminded me that there is an Utena dub, which reminded me I saw a duel from it, which reminded me how wrong that dub is. I don't mean to sound a weeb, but if y'all gonna watch Utena, do yourselves a favor and watch the sub.

Dual! Parallel Troubles 3

So most of this episode was basically Evangelion if Evangelion had all the humorous setting of an old Saturday Morning Cartoon (like Garfield and Friends, really), instead of the angst. In fact, most of the time, Tenchi/Shinji/Yotsuka's angst is more over him being the straightman in a wacky world than anything Shinji level.

But then there was a moment of really, really bad CGI. I can't help but wonder now if the ironically bad CG ending is not in fact unironic.

Theonik

Princess Tutu 13
This episode. OMG. I can't even. That Fakir.
OMG at that solo pas de deux. Well OMG at everything in this episode. That was A+ stuff all round.
EDEL-san NO. NO NO NO.
Fuck off Drosselmeyer.
This train can't stop now.

LayLa

I saw a trailer while I was watching Michiko & Hatchin on Blu-Ray yesterday

M&H is an amazing show, probably the best I've seen all year. I think a big part of what makes the subbed version stand out is the two central performances are not by seiyuu but "proper" actresses, they give the parts an atypical feel that feels really refreshing and less animu.

Metrotab

Banned
Love Lab - 13 (END)

Why can't my lab sessions have these wacky adventures? Instead, I spend 6 hours doing nothing but titrations.

This show was really great. It hit that Yuru Yuri spot good and kept it up for the entire season. 8/10

mhs004

Where are you at in Toriko. It does start slow but it gets amazing once Toriko and Starjun first meet in the regal mamoth arc.

Gazoinks

M&H is an amazing show, probably the best I've seen all year. I think a big part of what makes the subbed version stand out is the two central performances are not by seiyuu but "proper" actresses, they give the parts an atypical feel that feels really refreshing and less animu.

Ah, that's interesting, I didn't know that. I watched the dub (I'm a terrible weaboo), which was really good, but when I rewatch it sometime I'll check out the sub for comparison. Even in the dub I liked that they didn't give Hatchin a typically high-pitched "I am a young girl in an anime" voice.

I thought it was fine up until the middle-to-final arc, at which point the villain's plan became tedious and overplayed. Much like in the new Railgun and Symphogear seasons that just ended.

Thanks for the input. If I buy the blu-rays, I'll wait until Amazon drops the price a bit. I really with Funimation would just sell complete collections instead of splitting them up.

:D I love this show.

Yeah, I'm only about halfway through M&H, but I'm loving it. I'm gonna try to finish it tonight or tomorrow. I'm definitely getting a similar vibe to Bebop and Champloo.

CorvoSol

The Flowers of Evil 2

HOLY SHIT.

Move over Kyubey, move over Devil Gundam, not you, Makoto Itou, you lousy fuck you still the king. We have a new Devil on the block here. I mean, yeah, Kasuga here needs to fess up, and he is provided with multiple opportunities, both overt and subtle, to do precisely that. He could've come early to school and returned the clothes. He could've stayed late afterwards and returned them, then stood his ground against Nakamura. He could've gone to the professor, he could've confessed at so many points, but he did not. To confess or to make right what you've done wrong is sort of a necessary thing for assuaging guilt, I think, and boy is it showing here. Kid's gonna crack faster than the guy in the tell-tale heart.

But Nakamura, oh, man Nakamura. She orchestrates it all so that Kasuga has one final, simple opportunity to set it to rights. She brings Saeki to him, to a private place, and gives him the chance to end it all. Then she shoves his face into Saeki's breasts, and that's game and set and maybe even match. Kid can't go and talk to her now. He could return it to his professor, but that dude is a hardass who would not let this end in any painless manner. He can still return the clothes, but since Kasuga is a weak willed kid, looks to me like Nakamura has him right where she wants him.

Of course, I can't shake the feeling that, even adjusting for cultural differences, Kasuga is being a bit dramatic about this, and that, given how much he did not like his mundane life before this, he may in fact be enjoying this to some degree.

Gazoinks

Yeah, I'm only about halfway through M&H, but I'm loving it. I'm gonna try to finish it tonight or tomorrow. I'm definitely getting a similar vibe to Bebop and Champloo.

Yeah, even though Watanabe only did the audio direction, it really feels like his fingerprints are on the project.

Gintama Episode 28 – Good Things Never Come in Twos (but bad things do)

Well thought the episode would be good but then Sacchan. Atrocious episode with a plot I didnt care. Hope the next one is back to the high point like the others.

Metrotab

Banned
I'm glad you're watching Aku no Hana, Corvo. I really feel that show transcended its shortcomings. One of the best pieces of media I've seen.

Saint Seiys Omega - Episode 1

Let me check off my shounen anime checklist:

Story: I don't know yet but sounds interesting/10
Characters: Nothing much yet, but I like the main characters hot-headedness/10
Powers: Easily understandable I guess but needs more info before making judgement/10
Fighting: 9/10

The fighting is pretty great so far so I'll keep watching for that. I'm guessing later on I'll learn more about characters and the powers etc. I have a pretty good impression of this show so far.

Where are you at in Toriko. It does start slow but it gets amazing once Toriko and Starjun first meet in the regal mamoth arc.

I'm on episode 15 so far. Right now some guy with
hair powers just started fighting a GT Robo, and the poison guy Coco just destroyed a pink GT Robo

Rewatch Digimon Tamers 5

Took em five episodes to meet something that appeared in Episode 1. That be Culumon. That being said, I do like the card mechanic because it means having Rookie Digimon being useful instead of just being portable sized avatars that can't do much on their own, which I guess is a criticism for older seasons.

Blagumon seems to be understanding more things and is more capable of making sentences, but he's still child-like as ever.

At some point, Rika will have to realize she's being a terrible person, although she can at least rest easy in knowing that she wasn't the Digimon Kaiser at least.

Other things: Takato still doesn't have stock footage for swiping a card. What a fucking lamer.

I've been meaning to rewatch Tamers for years now, but I'm afraid I'll be disappointed.

It made so much sense why I liked it so much as a kid when I learned Chiaki Konaka, who wrote Serial Experiments Lain, was the writer for it. Not that I watched Lain as a kid, but just that I like his style and apparently always have.

cnet128

Banned
Uchouten Kazoku 13 END

Well, that was certainly quite the commotion at the Friday Club! XD

Come to think of it, since I just started reading the Nekomonogatari White novel yesterday, this is the second time this weekend that I've witnessed
humans coming face to face with a supernatural tiger
. Perhaps this is a more common occurrence than one would expect!

A satisfying conclusion to a show that has definitely been one of the highlights of this season.

LayLa

Even in the dub I liked that they didn't give Hatchin a typically high-pitched "I am a young girl in an anime" voice.

interesting, i haven't heard the dub yet but describes Hatchin's original voice too, instead of a high-pitched anime voice she sounds like, well, a normal girl.

Yeah, even though Watanabe only did the audio direction, it really feels like his fingerprints are on the project.

ah see i didn't even know Watanabe was involved but that makes perfect sense now

cajunator

Banned
Let's just settle this once and for all.

http://strawpoll.me/487197

Seen both versions. Prefer dub.

Fam is fun. Shes a really squee character for one thing but the show is on par with the original imo. It gets a bit silly eventually but most anime does. Its worth your time.

Arti's poll reminded me that there is an Utena dub, which reminded me I saw a duel from it, which reminded me how wrong that dub is. I don't mean to sound a weeb, but if y'all gonna watch Utena, do yourselves a favor and watch the sub.

Dual! Parallel Troubles 3

So most of this episode was basically Evangelion if Evangelion had all the humorous setting of an old Saturday Morning Cartoon (like Garfield and Friends, really), instead of the angst. In fact, most of the time, Tenchi/Shinji/Yotsuka's angst is more over him being the straightman in a wacky world than anything Shinji level.

But then there was a moment of really, really bad CGI. I can't help but wonder now if the ironically bad CG ending is not in fact unironic.

My love for the Utena dub earned me a tag.

Kunagisa

Neo Member
Kyousogiga OVA rewatch-

I remember not liking this the first time I saw this. I thought it was a fucking mess and was full of crazy for the sake of being crazy. Yep, still have that same feeling.

While I don't think the OVA was THAT messy, there will be actual world building in the TV series if you find the story difficult to follow in the OVA (assuming you weren't talking about the art style being messy instead).

In fact, episode 1
will be about Myoue (father, not the son)'s power, and what happened between him and Koto (the black rabbit/mother), as well as the creation of Koto (the city).

mhs004

I'm on episode 15 so far. Right now some guy with
hair powers just started fighting a GT Robo, and the poison guy Coco just destroyed a pink GT Robo
Okay hear us my suggestion. This is the arc that it starts getting good. Finish it and make your decision then as this is when it starts getting good. The ending fight of the arc is good to. Do what you want but if you do stop it you will miss out on one of the best battle shonens out right now.

Quasar

Railgun 2 24 - really pretty happy with the final. Wrapped up the season stories pretty nicely and was so nice getting to see Kongou kicking ass. I like her. Some of Satens actions though were jarring, much as I adore her.

CorvoSol

I'm glad you're watching Aku no Hana, Corvo. I really feel that show transcended its shortcomings. One of the best pieces of media I've seen.

It's certainly well directed. If I had to voice one complaint, it would be faces. Rotoscoping gives everyone these sort of watered down real faces that cannot convey emotion to the level I'd like. In anime you tend to fall back on standard emotional short hand with faces (though sometimes you see things which are much above this) (and the original MSG did a great job with facial expressions that later animes would not), but because these are the faces of real people, there are certain facial cues I'm looking for that I'm not getting because most of the features of these faces have been removed. That no one has visible lips, for instance, throws me way off, and that Kasuga's face has these three pocks but no other features is also kinda odd.

But beyond that, the show is well directed, and man, these backgrounds are crazy detailed.

My love for the Utena dub earned me a tag.

The sub's the superior version, man. I can't even listen to English Utena trying to shout "Himemiyaaaaaaa!" or English Nanami going "TSU-WA-BU-KI!" I dunno, I just couldn't do that.

Metrotab

Banned
Free! - 13 (END)

Poor Rei, delegated to being the fifth wheel of the car. That's one weakness in the show they couldn't remove, it just feels awkward to me.

This show suffered from a poor start and haphazard characterisation, but when it found its groove the episodes started to feel less sterile. Definitely a decent production, and gorgeous in graphical quality. 7/10

Okay hear us my suggestion. This is the arc that it starts getting good. Finish it and make your decision then as this is when it starts getting good. The ending fight of the arc is good to. Do what you want but if you do stop it you will miss out on one of the best battle shonens out right now.

Toriko hasn't hit my drop radar yet. The action is pretty good so far and is keeping me from dropping it. It's not the story that's drawing me off, it's mostly just the characters.

mhs004

Toriko hasn't hit my drop radar yet. The action is pretty good so far and is keeping me from dropping it. It's not the story that's drawing me off, it's mostly just the characters.
New characters are introduced in every arc and some come back every now and then. The 4 kings do stick around a lot though but I like all if them. Sunny is the best one.

I've been meaning to rewatch Tamers for years now, but I'm afraid I'll be disappointed.

It made so much sense why I liked it so much as a kid when I learned Chiaki Konaka, who wrote Serial Experiments Lain, was the writer for it. Not that I watched Lain as a kid, but just that I like his style and apparently always have.

Well it kinda made sense on why one of my friends didn't like it because it is pretty slow. Although he isn't fond of how they made the original two seasons a show in a show.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
samurai champloo rewatch 1-15
this is deflating my hype for space dandy. each episode kind of has a way of just cutting off into nothingness even as it sets up emotional highs. this detracts from the individual episodes themselves but probably hurts the bigger picture more. the show never really reflects on the impact major events have on characters, it just sort of moves on to the next thing right away. many of the episodes feel insubstantial and just sort of dull because both the main cast and side characters are incredibly uninteresting.

it's also really annoying to have so many characters pull this, "maybe we'll meet again" sort of thing to assist in cutting the stories short.

New characters are introduced in every arc and some come back every now and then. The 4 kings do stick around a lot though but I like all if them. Sunny is the best one.

Sunny is my favorite as well so far. Sunny and that one handsome guy seems to be the first characters with specific personalities, that make them different from the rest. So that makes them automatically acceptable to me.

Jarmel

Banned
Kyousogiga 2012 1-5
ijizjagMESsuv.jpg

So I was pretty close to writing the show off after the first three episodes. The 2nd and 3rd aren't bad but I didn't feel anything special about them. The 1st one was more confusing than anything else. It seems like the 2012 stuff and the OVA before it, exist in some separate timeline or some nonsense like the OVA comes after the 2012 stuff. Well anyway I'm trying to piece this together and it seems kinda of a mess.

So this is my best guess as to what is going on:
So this monk, Myoue, creates this world and the council of three, although he didn't create the kid monk just the other two. He heads off and leaves the kid (we don't know if the two are related but probably not) with one of his powers but not before knocking up Koto, one of his creations. Koto then gives birth to another Koto who ends up in the human world. Mother Koto lures her daughter to the mirror Kyoto where Inari trains Koto. Inari then heads off somewhere for some unknown reason. Daughter Koto is trying to find her parents and go back to her original world not knowing that her mother is the black rabbit.

What the fuck.

The insanity of the story aside, the direction of the last two episodes makes up for how insane this plot is. The last episode in particular was astounding. I loved the insert song. They did a great job in the last two episodes in portraying the relationships between some of the characters, especially in the last.

While I don't think the OVA was THAT messy, there will be actual world building in the TV series if you find the story difficult to follow in the OVA (assuming you weren't talking about the art style being messy instead).

In fact, episode 1
will be about Myoue (father, not the son)'s power, and what happened between him and Koto (the black rabbit/mother), as well as the creation of Koto (the city).

The OVA was a mess.

mhs004

Sunny is my favorite as well so far. Sunny and that one handsome guy seems to be the first characters with specific personalities, that make them different from the rest. So that makes them automatically acceptable to me.
Just wait till you meet
zebra the last of the 4 kings
he is probably the coolest character in the show. Toriko is more a show you watch for the side characters than the main ones. Just wait Toriko has a universe full of outstanding characters and villians.

Shergal

It's certainly well directed. If I had to voice one complaint, it would be faces. Rotoscoping gives everyone these sort of watered down real faces that cannot convey emotion to the level I'd like. In anime you tend to fall back on standard emotional short hand with faces (though sometimes you see things which are much above this) (and the original MSG did a great job with facial expressions that later animes would not), but because these are the faces of real people, there are certain facial cues I'm looking for that I'm not getting because most of the features of these faces have been removed. That no one has visible lips, for instance, throws me way off, and that Kasuga's face has these three pocks but no other features is also kinda odd.

I still have to finish up the show, but from the two episodes I watched I had a similar impression. I felt the draughtsmanship betrayed the intent in how it tried to portray a veritable reality without compromising, but ended up striking me as half-assed, probably because they did in fact not have enough time/talent/budget/experience with this sort of thing to pull it off. The cinematography had to pick up a lot of slack to help create the experience. I've heard it gets better (or you get accustomed, whatever) in later episodes so I'm looking forward to catching up with it.

I recently watched episode 10 of The Hakkenden, where Ohira attempted to do the same thing but without employing rotoscope at all. It certainly felt much more satisfying, visceral and powerful, and it felt good as animation too. It'll be interesting to watch Aku no Hana again now that I have watched Ohira's film, it probably puts it in a new light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom