• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Love Lab 4

After the first 3 episode's mini-arc and character gathering I felt this episode was... kind of boring.

Should I stick with it? I like the cast a fair amount, but...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's hentai, but I like this anime character design for a new OVA.

YfUsOsa.png

Edit: Just noticed the side tails lol

cajunator

Banned
It's certainly well directed. If I had to voice one complaint, it would be faces. Rotoscoping gives everyone these sort of watered down real faces that cannot convey emotion to the level I'd like. In anime you tend to fall back on standard emotional short hand with faces (though sometimes you see things which are much above this) (and the original MSG did a great job with facial expressions that later animes would not), but because these are the faces of real people, there are certain facial cues I'm looking for that I'm not getting because most of the features of these faces have been removed. That no one has visible lips, for instance, throws me way off, and that Kasuga's face has these three pocks but no other features is also kinda odd.

But beyond that, the show is well directed, and man, these backgrounds are crazy detailed.

The sub's the superior version, man. I can't even listen to English Utena trying to shout "Himemiyaaaaaaa!" or English Nanami going "TSU-WA-BU-KI!" I dunno, I just couldn't do that.

I certainly can. Much preferred the dub. It fit the kind of show better imo. I listened to an episode in japanese more recently and really didnt like it at all. So I went back to english.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Love Lab 4

After the first 3 episode's mini-arc and character gathering I felt this episode was... kind of boring.

Should I stick with it? I like the cast a fair amount, but...

4 is where I dropped it, because zzzzzzzzzzz, but maybe I'll pick it back up again, I dunno.

sonicmj1

I certainly can. Much preferred the dub. It fit the kind of show better imo. I listened to an episode in japanese more recently and really didnt like it at all. So I went back to english.

I couldn't get through a full episode of the dub, it felt so off.

CorvoSol

I still have to finish up the show, but from the two episodes I watched I had a similar impression. I felt the draughtsmanship betrayed the intent in how it tried to portray a veritable reality without compromising, but ended up striking me as half-assed, probably because they did in fact not have enough time/talent/budget/experience with this sort of thing to pull it off. The cinematography had to pick up a lot of slack to help create the experience. I've heard it gets better (or you get accustomed, whatever) in later episodes so I'm looking forward to catching up with it.

I recently watched episode 10 of The Hakkenden, where Ohira attempted to do the same thing but without employing rotoscope at all. It certainly felt much more satisfying, visceral and powerful, and it felt good as animation too. It'll be interesting to watch Aku no Hana again now that I have watched Ohira's film, it probably puts it in a new light.

Man, I don't even know what draughtsmanship is.

Pshaw. Subd > dub, and Arti's poll will vindicate my point.

Uchouten Kazoku fin

I'm gonna miss this show a lot. I complained before about the light-hearted approach to tragic or serious events, but this time around it clicked for me. I can see people having problems with it because it was a different kind of ending than is typical, what with nearly everything being left unresolved, but it was a perfect fit for the series. I would have been disappointed if we got a coda that wrapped things up neatly. The dedication this series maintained to a unique vision is commendable; it never went away from its leisurely pacing or its commitment to dealing with both comedy and drama with a light touch. AOTY so far for me.
This episode in particular had so many nice touches. The animation in particular seemed at a higher level than before; Dresden already mentioned the background characters' movements, and I was particularly taken with the little stretch Yashirou and his mom were doing while Yasaburo was talking to the Professor and the Tanukis mad scrambling during the restaurant scene.

Throw it on the list!

I talked to duckroll but he wasn't convinced since he totally stopped watching SSO after the 2nd part started.

----------------

Railgun S - 24

This was an alright end of season episode.
In the end the filler was alright , even if it was quite "cliché"

This episode answered a question i had on my mind since 23 eps ago... why did they introduce "mental out" in the first episode , to not use her afterward ?The answer was simple ... To give us the pretext of a good ending ...what a waste ... Railgun S3 when ?? i need to see mental out in action ..i accept Index S3 as well.
Toaru%20Kagaku%20no%20Railgun%20S%20-%2024.jpg

Well you deserved your moment , kuroko.

The whole "finale" was alright ..it was enjoyable and the loli were saved ...all is good in that world.Nice to see that out little mad scientist love dressing them up.

Shergal

Really? I would never have suspected, with how well you write. What is your first language, if I may ask?

Haha, I guess I try hard to write well. I end up looking up quite a bit of words though, like just now with 'draughtsmanship'. I guess 'draftsmanship' is more popular?

My first language is Spanish, but video games and having almost every single thing on TV subtitled means I've been sorta in touch with English basically since birth.

Rewatch Digimon Tamers 6

She understands a little bit more about partners as she gently caresses Kyuubimon's face in the digital field. That night after a hard fight against a Dokugamon, they walk into the darkness to get a little closer.

Also Impmon appears.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
It's hentai, but I like this anime character design for a new OVA.

YfUsOsa.png

Edit: Just noticed the side tails lol

Ooooh shit.

=================================================

Probably won't write my impression until tomorrow, just wanted to say that musical bit on the last episode of Kiniro Mosaic was absolutely amazing. Will be re-watching later tonight.

Haha, I guess I try hard to write well. I end up looking up quite a bit of words though, like just now with 'draughtsmanship'. I guess 'draftsmanship' is more popular?

My first language is Spanish, but video games and having almost every single thing on TV subtitled means I've been sorta in touch with English basically since birth.

Well, congratulations on your hard work. I'd say "draftsmanship" is more recognizable than "draughtsmanship", though neither word is used much outside the field of technical drawing. It's probably best to just use "drawing" instead.

I should probably finish this up, even if I have to put up with Touma. :mad:

If that can help you , after that moment in railgun ( that you seems to have stopped at ) , touma won't be in the action, he pretty much disappears from railgun , even if he is involved at times ( but only in very small doses )

Kansoku

Railgun S - 24

This episode answered a question i had on my mind since 23 eps ago... why did they introduce "mental out" in the first episode , to not use her afterward ?The answer was simple ... To give us the pretext of a good ending ...what a waste ... Railgun S3 when ?? i need to see mental out in action ..i accept Index S3 as well.

Actually when they revealed that Febri had a sister my first tough was of her. They're both blond, and her power kinda works (especially since I forgot what her power was in the moment).

Quasar

Eccentric Family 13 - excellent conclusion to a series I adored. Man tears were shed. Favourite show of the year so far. So sad thats it.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
If that can help you , after that moment in railgun ( that you seems to have stopped at ) , touma won't be in the action, he pretty much disappears from railgun , even if he is involved at times ( but only in very small doses )

That helps.

Touma is the best thing to happen in railgun. Touma and accelerator fight remake is sooooooooooo good.

Touma's increased presence is what made me stop in the middle of S2 of Railgun. :lol

jediyoshi

Sora no Woto 2

ofYt5vC.png

Still iffy on the OP/ED. Seems like it'd fit better if they swapped them around.

So far it feels like what I was imagining GuP would be; a hybrid of K-On and Valkyria Chronicles. Their unit and purpose makes just enough sense that I don't have to stop every few minutes and think about the logistics of what's going on.

Show's still gorgeous. I was surprised they tonally pulled off the scene where they're investigating the building and kept it upbeat despite the colour palette being ultra gray and dreary.

Pretty sure I already love the main crew. Probably a good sign when the character who's ostensibly the brattiest is still likable.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sora no Woto 2

http://i.imgur.com/ofYt5vC.png

Still iffy on the OP/ED. Seems like it'd fit better if they swapped them around.

So far it feels like what I was imagining GuP would be; a hybrid of K-On and Valkyria Chronicles. Their unit and purpose makes just enough sense that I don't have to stop every few minutes and think about the logistics of what's going on.

Show's still gorgeous. I was surprised they tonally pulled off the scene where they're investigating the building and kept it upbeat despite the colour palette being ultra gray and dreary.

Pretty sure I already love the main crew. Probably a good sign when the character who's ostensibly the brattiest is still likable.

You know, just thinking of genki characters, Kana is also a pretty good one inasmuch as her gimmick isn't being totally insane with her genki-ness.

And, you'll find that these guys are more like the crew from VC3 or BF:BC if you want to make game comparisons. lol

Every show like SnW or Aria needs the blonde Christmas cake who ara aras, Alicia and Filicia are wonderful.

@firehawk: I've also been meaning to ask if that was Filicia in your avatar or from some other thing I'm unaware of.

Nafe

The Mystical Laws

mhUv5JD.jpg

---

ijLXojav19ieC.gif

Oh man, this show is so bad, haha. While maybe not quite the caliber of Garzey's Wing, it's certainly up there for totally bonkers, off the wall, bat crazy plot combined with an awesomely bad English dub. I can see now why it's part of "The List".

It takes place in the year 202X (presumably because the bad guy hasn't decided yet,haha) and you have the Not Nazi regime called the Godom Empire, which is led by a guy who played too much Street Fighter in his youth and is Chuunibroing it up as a wannabe Vega. He also used his funds to hire that villain guy I saw in the Iron Man 2 ads to make him an electric whip apparently. They've secretly been collaborating with countries to amass their power and now want to take over the world. Oh yeah, and they've got "The Ultimate Weapon" which could destroy the world and that's its tentative name because it's not quite completed yet but when it is THEN Mr. Vega wannabe, actually called Tatha Gata Killer, can name it.

Another secret group called Hermes Wings is also working behind the scenes to stop them and the protagonist of the show, Sho Shishimaru, is part of them. He also experiences "visions". Clearly dipping a little too much into that "Happy Science" apparently.

Anyway, that's how things start out and I was kind of mixed on it. On the one hand what was happening was so random and goofy it drifted into that so bad it's good range but often times for me it was just so bad it was bad (and boring). Then I got to about the halfway point (spoilers) where this happens. There were definitely hints there like the urn or in one of his visions
I thought did I just quickly see a UFO?
The way that was introduced though was just "are you kidding me?!" Haha.

After that I thought it went so crazy with its plot that it was so bad that it was amazing for the rest of the movie. It even kept topping itself in terms of its craziness, haha. Almost like Valvrave or Code Geass or something in terms of all these crazy twists. The end battle turns into some random Shin Megami Tensei battle and there's even an evil spirit space dragon or something fighting Yamata no Orochi. There's also Konohana-no-Sakuya-Bime whose name they don't bother to translate at all in the English dub, haha.

I think the guys line "Who cares? I'm hungry" is how most of the voice people felt when recording their lines. They also...make...so many...pauses...when talking. In the original Japanese you've got Takehito Koyasu (who voiced Touga in Utena) voicing Shishimaru and the guy who voiced Rei in Free! does the voice for Tatha Gata Killer.

Other than the ugly CG the visuals look fine and there's even some really nice looking backgrounds or the scenes with the Sakura/Cherry Blossoms when talking with Konohana are pretty nice looking as well. The part with all the different languages being spoken at the end was actually kind of cool too. The end speech is like some shonen hearto thing but just really out there,haha. It was more fun reading (bunch of unmarked spoilers) BGBW's comments right after and I could see AnimeGaf having a lot of fun trying to get together to watch this and doing a mystery science theater commentary or something.

Anyway, it's not really something I would watch again but if you're looking for a laugh from a crazy movie sometime then you might want to give this a go.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Who else is on an absolute binge to finish Summer 2013 shows they put on hold?

Those Jojo impressions from a while back are telling me I need to continue watching it.

But then again, I have to continue watching a lot of anime that I've paused. I just don't know where to start. :(

CorvoSol

I still need to watch Garzey's Wing.

EVERYONE needs to watch Garzey's Wing.

Dark Stalkers 2

40 minutes without Morrigan. Instead please enjoy Dante/Blade/Simon Belmont and Aerith fighting Gilgamesh/Gurren Lagann while an Ancient Mayan Sun God by the name of Olmec helps plan the Legends of the Hidden Temple in the Shrine of the Silver Monkey or Aliens and Robots or something I don't know.

Also I did not know Hsien-Ko had a human sister.

WHERE'S MORRIGAN?

Who else is on an absolute binge to finish Summer 2013 shows they put on hold?

Only thing Ive fallen behind on this summer is One Piece (12 episodes last weekend and now Im back to being two episodes behind :( ) Kingdom, still an episode or two behind, and Yamada and the Seven Witches, (think Im an episode behind...)...

Surprised summer is already over with Hakkenden 2 and Mushibugyo tomorrow.

Quasar

A town where you live 12 - The finale. And we have the decision and the expected fallout. Probably not much more too add. As someone who hasn't read the manga, but is aware of a couple of major plot points I've quite enjoyed this. Loved the look of it, liked the voice acting. Would watch much more of it if I could. Guess I'll just have to start reading the manga.

I feel the urge to go and rewatch Suzuka now.

cajunator

Banned
Sora no Woto 2

ofYt5vC.png

the characters are the main reason this show is so likeable. None of them are annoying or insufferable. Also Noel is ADORABLE.

I still need to watch Garzey's Wing.

Fuck yeah you do!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Every show like SnW or Aria needs the blonde Christmas cake who ara aras, Alicia and Filicia are wonderful.

@firehawk: I've also been meaning to ask if that was Filicia in your avatar or from some other thing I'm unaware of.
My current one? It's a picture of a a random pilot from pixiv. lol

Noirulus

JoJo's Bizarre Adventures - 22 & 23

Wham vs JoJo was a great fight. I liked that JoJo gave him an honorable death and saluted him, and Wham appreciating JoJo's gesture of easing his pain in his dying breaths was a nice touch.

FUCKING CARS YOU BACKSTABBING BASTARD. And shit, so it seems Lisa Lisa is JoJo's mum! I suddenly feel weird for hoping earlier that they'd develop a romantic relationship...

Why is Roundabout so awesome?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom