• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

By the way DTL have similar criticism to Galileidonna, by that from I can recall from the episode I just assume "don't know what to do" means teasing hot boys despite the focus are the girls. I can agree for that context

lulz

7Th

Speaking of wonzoness, Magi is back:
b41bxMj.gif

Speaking of Magi I remember reading somewhere that they
were going their separate ways]
a big portion of this new season and those were my least favorite parts in the first season, so I decided to read the manga so I could reach a point they were all together again. It took quite some time for that to happen...

She's the comic relief counterbalance to the silly overly serious melodrama going on. Unfortunately she gets dialed up to 11 since everything else already is.

My feelings about Kill la Kill specifically (as opposed to my general feelings on Imaishi) go back to something my old piano teacher told me: when you're playing a fast piece full of intricate passagework you can't actually play it as fast as you possibly can. If you do, the individual notes will be lost in the general swirl. You need to keep a moderate enough pace to allow each note to be distinct articulated, so that the passagework will be clearly understood by the listener - and doing so will create a greater impression of speed than going too fast will. Similarily, with Kill la Kill always racing forward, it leaves no breathing space to allow individual events to register in the mind of the viewer, and thus everything blends together into a forgettable blur. This strategy of assaulting the audience nonstop may work for some people, but it's not something I find enjoyable to listen to or watch.

Nafe

:Aria is still my favourite anime! Watch it!

Gravity couldn't beat it huh? Haha.

I haven't seen the movie yet but seeing the picture of your movie ticket there reminds me that I think watching a movie at the theater feels too expensive. I guess there's 3D which ups the price some and maybe not as much now with BDs, but when it was more DVDs everyone was buying, it seemed pretty crazy that it cost about as much to watch a movie in theaters as it did to just buy one.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gravity couldn't beat it huh? Haha.

I haven't seen the movie yet but seeing the picture of your movie ticket there reminds me that I think watching a movie at the theater feels too expensive. I guess there's 3D which ups the price some and maybe not as much now with BDs, but when it was more DVDs everyone was buying, it seemed pretty crazy that it cost about as much to watch a movie in theaters as it did to just buy one.
I've basically spent over a hundred dollars watching Gravity. If ever there was a film that justifies the expense of 3d projection (not like it actually costs the theaters any more money other than people stealing those RealD glasses), this is it.
It's almost like the difference between going to a concert in person and watching it at home on your TV.

To be fair, in my theoretical ranking of my favourite television shows of all time, regardless of genre, medium, or country of origin, Aria is in my top 5. But I'm crazy enough to put it in the same pantheon as The Wire or Louie. lol

Kurita

Apparently Woody Allen is good again? lol

I have to admit that it was my first Woody Allen movie, and it was pretty entertaining.
There are a few "depressing" moments (my gf almost cried :lol) but overall it was quite fun. And it has Louis C.K. being Louis C.K.

Silky

Banned
Oh, so that girl in that image I quoted was cosplaying Nakoruru.

I'm sad now. I want more SNK anime. :c

I guess Hyouka is meant for me, then.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have to admit that it was my first Woody Allen movie, and it was pretty entertaining.
There a few "depressing" moments (my gf almost cried :lol) but overall it was quite fun. And it has Louis C.K. being Louis C.K.
Wait, I thought it was Dice?
Maybe I'll watch it then. I'm like 5 movies behind when it comes to Woody Allen and hadn't really seen a reason to catch up.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Wait, I thought it was Dice?
Maybe I'll watch it then. I'm like 5 movies behind when it comes to Woody Allen and hadn't really seen a reason to catch up.
Never saw Midnight in Paris? you should definitely watch that along with Blue Jasmine :)

Angel Beats! - Series Review

Yeah yeah I know I said this anime would probably take me some amount of time to finish. However, if you look at my other anime reviews then you would know I hold the musical score/soundtrack in high regard. So while catching up with the first few episodes of the newly airing animes I've had the Angel Beats! OP stuck in my head. Eventually it got to me and I had to finish the series just for the sake of the music, so after the little break I went back into the anime with a fresh mind.

I admit my initial hate for Angel Beats! was with my attachment of just recently finishing Anohana, I wanted another anime to fill that void. Angel Beats! wasn't really the anime to go for, however this doesn't excuse the show's mistakes. Angel Beats! has a really good premise for it, however fact of the matter is the show was too much exposition and poor execution. Forgive me for the Anohana comparison but that show had 11 episodes and told a melodrama in top-tier status, Angel Beats! had 13 episodes and it was constantly tripping over itself. This show either needed double the episodes or cut out various side characters from the show to give more emphasis to the main cast.

The show succeeds in its comedic aspects, however this was mainly derived from its side characters and as such my attachment and progression of the show was mostly due to them. The show
was lucky/smart in the regard in having Hinata and Ayato in the graduation ceremony plus the amount of screen-time they both had. Angel/Kanade (ignoring the massive plothole at the end) was a half-decent character during the end of the series but that doesn't excuse her 'Ayanami Rei - status' character archetype for the majority of the show. Otonashi was a bland main protagonist similar to Fate/Stay Night's Emiya or Index's/Railgun's Touma. And I didn't really care for Yuri.

Speaking of the massive plothole at the end. How did Angel/Kanade have Otonashi's heart transplant but was already dead by the time Otanashi died? The fuck? Yeah the ending was nice but it didn't make me tear up or anything. I felt more feels at the credit scene due to the music than from Angel/Kanade and Otonashi passing on

Music was superb of course (being the main reason of me going through this show), the anime did an excellent job in having the music produce an ambient bittersweet theme, too bad the show itself failed in that regard.

Overall Angel Beats! is a solid anime, good but not great. As such I facepalm at everyone who holds this as a top-tier tragic/drama anime. Personally I found it more enjoyable in viewing it as a comedy/slice-of-life than I did a drama/tragedy. Does it need sequel? No it doesn't, but I would support a revision/redo of the show to fully express itself with more episodes or a better contained plot.

Narag

My feelings about Kill la Kill specifically (as opposed to my general feelings on Imaishi) go back to something my old piano teacher told me: when you're playing a fast piece full of intricate passagework you can't actually play it as fast as you possibly can. If you do, the individual notes will be lost in the general swirl. You need to keep a moderate enough pace to allow each note to be distinct articulated, so that the passagework will be clearly understood by the listener - and doing so will create a greater impression of speed than going too fast will. Similarily, with Kill la Kill always racing forward, it leaves no breathing space to allow individual events to register in the mind of the viewer, and thus everything blends together into a forgettable blur. This strategy of assaulting the audience nonstop may work for some people, but it's not something I find enjoyable to listen to or watch.

Nothing to add so just going too say I really like this explanation.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You guys overhyped Kill La Kill. My Tyrant's Eye could see it from a mile away.

The only anime that will match its hype is Space Dandy.

Space Dandy will save anime. Seriously. When is it coming out?

You can't imagine the shock and disappointment in me when I saw it.
Disgusting.

Rest of the episode was good but it's forever tainted.

For a series that is supposed to be about the fights it was sorely disappointing.

Are we really going to continue despairing about a two second bad CG gif from the third episode of Kill la Kill?

They're probably saving the animation budget towards something much bigger. I mean, look at Gurren Lagann episode 4 compared to the rest of the show afterwards!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
nK7JUYb.jpg

"Too many notes."

;)

Walkure Romanze 03

Let me just say it from the start, this would work better as a hentai at this point.

It's not bad, but the plot isn't particularly interesting and the characters aren't particularly fantastic either. I can't stop watching because a protagonist that isn't a clumsy fuck is rare in harems, even though this one is a bit dense but not IS levels.

Modafuckin' Space Dandy
tumblr_mtl2kq8rVS1qanw3wo6_500.gif

1379951858881.gif

Are we really going to continue despairing about a two second bad CG gif from the third episode of Kill la Kill?

They're probably saving the animation budget towards something much bigger. I mean, look at Gurren Lagann episode 4 compared to the rest of the show afterwards!

It's certainly putting me off of watching the series. Only watched the first episode of the show and it didn't really do it for me.

fertygo

This is Anime-GAF

Gurren-Lagann have its share of bad CG btw, on 2nd half.. GAF hate it too.
Space Dandy's space butts and more Strike Witches will make for a good year, I'm salivating profusely thinking about it.

What space butts, alien's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom