• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hajime no Ippo: Rising 3

They have time for humor I see! Ippo has the harem going on, but no one can beat his mama.

Although I find it strange that it's called Woman's Battle since that's like half the episode or even less. But then again, there are times where episodes are titled after one moment, even if it's insignificant to the rest of the episode in comparison, and the same applies to Youtube videos.

Anywho, I don't have much faith in Aoki considering they've been portraying him as a loser up until this point, but I hope he has a good showing here
Don't spoil it for me

XXj2XeI.jpg
PR8lOJw.jpg

One Piece 617

You know its really nice ditching Funimation just to hear "Hands Up!" in the opening.

Anyway, Caesar shows off his true colors to his men and Luffy manages to defeat him with his Grizzly Magnum. Really liked the struggle they had and how well done Usopp's speech was, when he was talking about Luffy.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Fair point. Though I would mention that one thing I noticed during episode 3 is that the show forces the viewer to choose between watching the action and reading the subtitles. I think the hallway scene in particular when they're rattling off lines right when the screen is shifting the most. That's definitely a negative impact.

Perhaps ironically, I actually find that my ability to engage with what I'm watching during anime viewing has decreased considerably since becoming a critical viewer. Now, my attention is divided between analysis of the animation, music, direction, scene composition/storyboarding/pacing/other technical aspects, narrative, themes, characters, and the subtitles (and especially the fact that my Japanese comprehension is getting to the point that my brain is incapable of not trying to simultaneously process what I'm hearing and what I'm reading at the same time). I just can't seem to consume something as a singular piece of entertainment anymore.

This is a blessing as much as it is a curse, but I admit that I do sometimes yearn for the days when I just watched something without the whole constant multifaceted mental dissection dominating my thoughts instead of the simple experience. KLK is certainly a recent example of something where I feel like I can't enjoy it as much as I otherwise could because I'm trying to force myself to simultaneously process everything happening on screen at once when I just can't, but it's also just something that I increasingly experience in general.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
CG from all shows I've watched this season = Shit
Gravity proved that if you can spend 100 million on CG, you can make it look good. lol

I'm with you on this one. Though I also love the second OP, and the third is no slouch.

(The first ED is also the best, though all of the EDs are wonderful in their own way.)
Maybe it's a case of the first always being the best by virtue of being the one we're all familiar with. lol

One Piece 617

You know its really nice ditching Funimation just to hear "Hands Up!" in the opening.

Anyway, Caesar shows off his true colors to his men and Luffy manages to defeat him with his Grizzly Magnum. Really liked the struggle they had and how well done Usopp's speech was, when he was talking about Luffy.

how was this arc in the anime? Was super hard to follow who was who in the manga.

One Piece 617

Hands up is one of the better new world Op songs for the series. The groups version of We Are is also wonderful.

Shergal

Perhaps ironically, I actually find that my ability to engage with what I'm watching during anime viewing has decreased considerably since becoming a critical viewer. Now, my attention is divided between analysis of the animation, music, direction, scene composition/storyboarding/pacing/other technical aspects, narrative, themes, characters, and the subtitles (and especially the fact that my Japanese comprehension is getting to the point that my brain is incapable of not trying to simultaneously process what I'm hearing and what I'm reading at the same time). I just can't seem to consume something as a singular piece of entertainment anymore.

This is a blessing as much as it is a curse, but I admit that I do sometimes yearn for the days when I just watched something without the whole constant multifaceted mental dissection dominating my thoughts instead of the simple experience. KLK is certainly a recent example of something where I feel like I can't enjoy it as much as I otherwise could because I'm trying to force myself to simultaneously process everything happening on screen at once when I just can't, but it's also just something that I increasingly experience in general.
Yeah, happens to me too. Although I'm generally willing to overlook a lot if there's something I enjoy a lot (particularly animation), sometimes I also think it defeats the point of consuming entertainment. I think to myself that in turn I'll enjoy the really good things much more, but I don't know how true that is.

BluWacky

I find that, if I'm truly enjoying something, then my internal critical commentary mostly switches off. I watched Samurai Flamenco 2 without really thinking about it much, despite its objectively mediocre animation etc., because I enjoyed the episode. Even "arty" shows are at their best, IMO, when you get sucked into what's going on rather than thinking about its individual components, something I thought, for instance, Kaiba was excellent at (regardless of its ropey ending).

One of the reasons I think hatewatching is so enjoyable is because your brain goes into overdrive thinking about how terrible something is so you have so much to say when you pull it apart. I don't engage that same level of criticism with something that I'm properly having fun watching.

(case in point at present - as soon as the fighting starts in Kyoukai no Kanata, my brain goes into a happy place where I'm basically just going "oooooh" at the pretty animation. My brain comes right back into play as soon as the dialogue sequences start, though, because I'm busy thinking about what's wrong with it).

Yeah, happens to me too. Although I'm generally willing to overlook a lot if there's something I enjoy a lot (particularly animation), sometimes I also think it defeats the point of consuming entertainment. I think to myself that in turn I'll enjoy the really good things much more, but I don't know how true that is.

I enjoy the process of critical analysis almost as much as the experience of watching (or reading or listening) to a work. Especially when you can see the hand of a masterful artist at work, it's great fun to pick apart what he did - that was a great deal of the enjoyment I got out of, say, Flowers of Evil or Rozen Maiden, and it's why I like meticulous, detail-oriented direction so much. As long as you keep things in perspective, and don't become a perfectionist viewer where any flaw noticed makes the work worthless, I see no harm in being smart about engaging with art and entertainment.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
This is where memory and rewatching come in. Don't try to process everything at once. Leave some for later based on your memory of the show. This way when you watch you can simply pay better attention to what's going on, and when this isn't sufficient you can always watch it again.

After all, attempting to fully absorb some shows like Utena on the first time is foolhardy.

This is where memory and rewatching come in. Don't try to process everything at once. Leave some for later based on your memory of the show. This way when you watch you can simply pay better attention to what's going on, and when this isn't sufficient you can always watch it again.

After all, attempting to fully absorb some shows like Utena on the first time is foolhardy.

It's why I'm not really processing complaints about not being able to absorb everything when you consider Utena is like... the goddess of this thread.

Narag

Yeah, that's how I do it. FIrst watch is to watch, can scrub through/rewatch/etc based on what i remember or any note i might make for myself later.

Thoraxes

It´s all about the queen:

Damn CLAMP...

A queen is fine too.

I enjoy the process of critical analysis almost as much as the experience of watching (or reading or listening) to a work. Especially when you can see the hand of a masterful artist at work, it's great fun to pick apart what he did - that was a great deal of the enjoyment I got out of, say, Flowers of Evil or Rozen Maiden, and it's why I like meticulous, detail-oriented direction so much. As long as you keep things in perspective, and don't become a perfectionist viewer where any flaw noticed makes the work worthless, I see no harm in being smart about engaging with art and entertainment.

That's actually why I avoid doing it, because it ruins my enjoyment of the shows. It makes me feel like i'm back in grad school doing slave work instead of enjoying my craft/field, and the flaws I uncover detract from my enjoyment. Then it just feels like too much of a chore and not worth my time.

So I don't do it because then I'm happier when I watch shows.

mAcOdIn

What? No, the problem with S2 so far, the second half of ep. 3 excepted, is that they made it generic. S1 had a unique, impressively totally incompetent design, but S2 feels more like any other harem action series. That's what all the complaints about the "the girls all hit him now" stuff is -- about how the new staff isn't making something quite like IS S1. But idiocy? No, the problem is that it's LESS stupid now. I mean, it's still very very stupid, but now it's more average-stupid -- dumb much like so many harem action shows are dumb. S1 was dumb in its own charming way, unlike S2. I'm not sure if that entirely makes sense, but yeah, I don't entirely agree with this.
It makes no sense! "impressively totally incompetent?" What the hell is is?

Infinite Stratos worked, and I use worked here as in "ok, this is not that much worse than some random SF shit on kindle ebooks so I can see how someone would buy it," because as stupid as the premise was, as stupid as the characters were they fit the authors mold. Aside from the switch from Char to Charlotte which was just silly. But aside from that the characters stayed in what little character they had, the setting wasn't trampled and it kinda worked. It wasn't a good work but two plus two equaled four and hate it as I may it wasn't so stupid compared to the rest of its ilk that it stood out.

Season two's main problem, aside from being the second season of Infinite Stratos, which is a problem in of itself especially when Spice and Wolf season three's still a fucking no show, is that there's no longer any continuity amongst the characters. Charlotte is no longer Charlotte, Laura is no longer Laura, Rin's not Rin, Hyouki's not Hyouki, there's just girls drawn similarly to them from the first season doing fuck all whatever. In a show as bland and two dimensional as Infinite Stratos you should be able to tell which character is which by their lines alone(without audio or visual) since originally they were all distinct character archetypes, now, aside from Laura who's retained her habit of speaking about Ichika as her betrothed all of the other girls lines are interchangeable. But those are just lines, if we look at how these characters are portrayed they're now totally interchangeable. This is just crap. As long as the characterization is so poor I don't see how anyone cares about what exactly these characters do. They can now be any of the girls in the school, it makes no difference.

And it's amusing because I kinda feel for anyone who actually liked the show. Lol. I'm sure someone, somewhere, really liked some of the characters and how they were portrayed originally. lol. hahahahahahaha. I'm kidding, those guys got what they deserved. Ahahahahaha.

To me this has devolved into a Loony Tunes harem except now I can't count on the coyote being the coyote and shit. It's just a harem skecth comedy but aside from character likenesses and Ichika being dumb as always there's no relation from scene to scene any more. I don't think that works. Stupid shit like Charlotte summoning part of her robot in the classroom and shooting Ichika to them constantly breaking his door down and the like, it'd all make more sense in something like Nichijou than here. But even Nichijou had actual characters.

It's a very weird tonal shift coming from season one which had a story, albeit a bad one, to tell along with the harem shenanigans . You can kinda feel even as far back as the second half of the first season where it seems the author was about to take it off the rails like with the rabbit girl. This to me is about as weird as if Full Metal Panic Fumoffu had actually been labeled season two. This is like Fumoffu except I doubt there'll be a Rugby or Quarantine level episode so it's much worse.

That stage was definitely pretty absurdly overlarge, but otherwise, why did you hate that part so much? Just because that stage was obviously bigger than an actual stage? I don't get it... it's not like this franchise is so realistic that that bit of reality-breaking actually is a big issue.

Also, I am not really a robot suit/giant robots fan, so it was nice to see them mix it up a bit and do something different from the past fights this time. The sequence had some issues -- as I said, there is no actual reason why the first three girls stop chasing him -- but even so, it was amusing and fun. And since the IS suits can protect them, using those weapons like that is safe; if someone was actually hit the suit would surely protect them...
Because everything in that sequence was just drek.
But this episode didn't make things worse, though. It made them slightly better... of course it's not IS S1, but yeah.
So I'll repeat my question, why did you hope for this instead of hoping for it to go back to how season one is?
Most definitely yes. Ep. 11 of S1 was embarrassingly bad and had no redeeming qualities, unlike the rest of the season, and ep. 3 of S2 is a good bit more entertaining than either of the first two.
I don't see how but I guess enjoyment levels this low are probably all within some arbitrary margin of error.

Walkure Romanze 3

Right then let's get this out of the way.

Long hair >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Short hair

Match was okay. Didn't expect much from it, but I am pleased to see the MC showing that he is capable of developing a good strategy for the match.

And they really know how to show off Betille's unique armor (NSFW).

I feel like I become LESS critical on a rewatch, as I focus on specific aspects that I already know I love, which in turn makes me enjoy it more. I must have watched that one scene in episode 11 of Gurren Lagann like 200 times, and I'm finding myself doing the same with the latter portion of KLK ep 3.

I understand the feel that they're going for, but the Honnouji Academy grounds have no atmosphere and are incredibly drab from a design standpoint. I dread the possibility that a number of KLK's fights are going to take place on a foggy flat brown textured plane that just looks like a level from a PS2 game with shitty draw distance.

Stop it, I still won't watch it if the fights start looking like they are from a Dynasty Warriors game.

duckroll

Actually many mixtures end up being stronger than the individual components, like mixing alloys, or grabbing individual parts and making a motorcycle, therefore increasing the value of the whole than that of each separate part.

To hide the impurities, but they are there. And with each dilution, the spirit slips away. The spirit and the color, until nothing authentic is left.

Mr.Jeff

I think I'm going to like Aria when I get around to it then,haha. I think I might take a look at Humanity has Declined first though just because it's shorter I think.
I can never quite get the linkage people try to make between Aria and YKK. Thematically there's so crossover but in terms of execution it's such a vastly different beast. While YKK features Alpha doing to ditzy things, the overall tone of the show is a lot more laid back and has an almost countryside quietness to it while Aria, despite have similar moments of quiet reflection on life and such, is handled a lot more in your face in the animation, giving it a far more rambunctious feel.

Just something look out for if you go into Aria expecting more of the same!

Anyway, final day of Jeff's exciting trip to SLA which most of you will skim past.

Aura - Koga Maryuin's Last War

I'd forgotten the description for this beforehand so went in blind near enough. It's probably a cruel thing to say since I've never seen this and no doubt inaacurate but this is probably what Chuunibyou should have been instead of what KyoAni produced.
Essentially new, first year high school student encounters a fellow (feamle) student wh o suffers the delusion of grandeur of being a witch from a different world.

The majority of the rest of the film is spent examining what would happen if there was someone like that in a high school situation and how the rest of the class would react. Johnathan Clements commented beforehand that Japanese critics had labelled this the most realistic portrayl of what it was like being on the low end of the scale of high school life and I can kinda see why. It's particularly nasty in parts but not overblown to the point of say, Shigofumi.

A lot of effort is spent on the male lead of Ichirou and how he deals with what he finds caught up in but it's slightly disappointing to realise that the same kind of lavish development wasn't really spent on the female lead. By the end of the film, her motivations and reasoning are all fairly flimsy at best so it's difficult to see why the changes that happen are important. Additionally, a couple of the final scenes that are shown during the credits seem to be naive as hell in how the resolution is dealt with.

Visually, there's not really much to comment on but once again nothing particularly noteworthy as bad either. Some nice little cuts during dialogue as people were talking though.

Overall: A pretty good watch overall! Some elements near the start that may make you claw your skin and not quite an entirely satifying resolution to my mind but good nonetheless.

Steins:Gate - The Movie
I'll try and keep this short and sweet. Good news! For the first hour, this film is exactly what you'd hope the film should be to not make it a cynical cash in and provides enough Kurisu screentime to keep people happy. Then they realise they are running short on time and end in a ridiculously wishy-washy fashion so that the climatic scene ends up feeling less emotional than some of the scenes that have preceded it.

The idea of the plot is a fantastic one and one that would perhaps work well as an additional addon to the game or a little mini OVA series but unfortunately the idea it brings up is a bit too complicated to deal with all in the space of the time allowed and the conventions of the series already established so it's concluded in a rather trite manner which feels disappointing.

Visually, hmm. You'd think for a movie, White Fox would put something out which showed a marked improvement but while there were some nice cuts with the characters in places, some of the dodgy background CG rears it's head in places and a few of the mid-range shots suffer in poor detailing. Go in expecting something of the series' quality. Really dug the soundtrack for most of it though.

Overall: Pretty great first half (with the caveat that you found some of the timeline aspects of the series believable) but then peters down to a happy but disappointing conclusion.

Couple of points of order. Originally they were hoping to bring the Harlock movie across this year but the asking price was £1,000,000 alledgedly so that idea was shelved. Also, regarding Patema Inverted being picked up for licensing, it was hinted in a not-so-subtle way - the phrase "Hmm, I wonder who that could be" when asked about it - that one of Andrew Partridge's new myriad of companies (probably Anime Limited) has picked it up.

Final ranking:
Patema > Yoyo = Garden of Words > Aura = Fuse > Steins;Gate >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Evangelion 3.0

Congratulations for anyone that bothered to read any or all of that shit.

Edit: Final, final point of order. Patema won the viewers choice awards for the weekend with supposedly Fuse being just a bit behind. Considering it was remarked that the audience was a fifty-fifty split of men and woman, it's interesting to that one film is more predominantly for males and the other for female when they share a few elements of theme in common.

Gravity proved that if you can spend 100 million on CG, you can make it look good. lol

I really need to watch this then.

how was this arc in the anime? Was super hard to follow who was who in the manga.

I'll say it's better than how the Fishman Arc was depicted (Yes, I know that's not much of a accomplishment), but it certainly was easier to follow everyone when they split up.

The only really bright spot throughout the arc was the reintroduction of Law and any scenes involving him.

Especially, when he was interacting with the Straw hat crew.

Hands up is one of the better new world Op songs for the series. The groups version of We Are is also wonderful.

Oh wow.

That sounds fantastic.

cajunator

Banned
The CG in the third Kill la Kill episode burns my soul :(

You should watch something with actual bad CG like Simoun (which is still a great show)

Are we really going to continue despairing about a two second bad CG gif from the third episode of Kill la Kill?

They're probably saving the animation budget towards something much bigger. I mean, look at Gurren Lagann episode 4 compared to the rest of the show afterwards!

Nope! No complaints here.

THe thing is, it doesnt matter HOW something was made but how it looks/animates. Technique is just a means to achieve a desired effect.

Grzi

Kuroko no Basuke S2 - 03

Now that's how it's done!
Best episode of anime I've seen in a while. My shounen haato exploded.

The budget increase for S2 is CRAZY.

Kuroko no Basket 2 03

ykfjLcdl.jpg

The hot-bloodness of this episode just warmed me up. It was also super exciting, great amount of humor, man this was a fun episode overall.

sonicmj1

Sorry about the Kiniro Mosaic thing. I'm as disappointed as the rest of you.

This is the danger of trying to be the first with news.

Clannad excels at that. You're gonna love this series, I can already tell.

Have you watched Toradora?

Oh yeah. Toradora was fantastic. The story of two delinquents slowly falling in love? Sweet dreams are made of these.

Which is why I'm liking Golden Time so much, at least partially, with Toradora being a relative and all.

cnet128

Banned
Monogatari SS 16 (Recapmonogatari 3)

Well, the recaps betrayed my expectations again. So much for spending a full episode on Tsubasa Cat - they covered that shit in the space of four minutes, and then went on to cover all of Nisemonogatari. Tsukihi Phoenix only took up about six minutes at the end, so the vast majority of the episode was spent on Karen Bee. Which I guess makes a certain amount of sense, since it's certainly the least straightforward story of the lot.

At any rate, like the previous episodes, it was fun to rewatch these stories in condensed form, particularly since they're fresh in my mind from having read the novels recently. There was some gorgeous sakuga in there to re-appreciate (hot damn @ that Shinobu action from the end of Tsubasa Cat) and some delicious voices that it was nice to hear again (mmmmmm Kaiki you're such a smooth talker. Maybe I should add Miki Shin'ichiro to my list of seiyuu man-crushes...)

What I'm wondering now is - what's actually left to cover in a fourth recap? Are they just not going to have a recap episode in between Onimonogatari and Koimonogatari after all? Because the recap episodes have now covered everything that's happened outside of this Second Season itself. I guess they could go back over stuff that happened this season, like a normal recap episode, but that would seem a little odd at this stage. I guess they could use it as a way of clarifying the chronology of all the events of this season that have been occurring simultaneously and out of order.

Ah well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

For now, bring on Onimonogatari!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Saikano 4

Poor Chise. Shuji's trying his best, well, kinda, and Chise
just wants to die.
These poor starcross'd lovers.

Oh yeah. Toradora was fantastic. The story of two delinquents slowly falling in love? Sweet dreams are made of these.

Which is why I'm liking Golden Time so much, at least partially, with Toradora being a relative and all.

I'd kill for a Toradora! cameo in Golden Time, even if it's just Taiga and Ryuuji just in the background of some shot.

Saikano 4

Poor Chise. Shuji's trying his best, well, kinda, and Chise
just wants to die.
These poor starcross'd lovers.

I'd kill for a Toradora! cameo in Golden Time, even if it's just Taiga and Ryuuji just in the background of some shot.

Yep. Anime char cameos are fantastic when done right. I think my favorite cameo of all time was Isaac and Myria appearing randomly in Durarara. Best anime duo ever,
miriaisaac.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom