• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

ku-medium.png

Uh, I have enslaved God, why am I going to make a contract with you?

jbug617

Banned
Kill La Kill 4

Mako's family is a good watch. Just plain crazy. Also Mako going off about wearing pajamas was good.

I liked the final scene
when the teacher was taking attendance.

Quasar

Golden Time 4 - interesting they cut the getting drunk from the anime.

Nagi no Asukara 4 - Friends and racial tensions ahoy. Another pretty good episode.

My internet connection was down for about three and a half hours. I was getting worried I wouldn't be able to watch the new Kill La Kill until tomorrow.

cajunator

Banned
Golden Time 4

Waiting a week for new episodes is torture.

<3 sassy Koko

Totally knew Linda was someone important. It hasn't addressed the whole calling her the wrong name thing yet though. Hmmm.

Tada is fast.

Also best ED.

Koko only endeared herself more in that episode.
Effortless victory.

Golden Time 04

This show is definitely made by the characters. As cute as Koko is, I think the one I'm liking the most is Banri. Ultimate nice guy, friendly as shit, honest with his feelings, clever and not a pussy in the least. I actually think they're playing

the amnesia angle very well. It's not the typical "i want to remember who I am!", there's also very real issues such as the individual not wanting to disappear if the old version of you comes back, and disappointed that you can't make your old acquaintances happy.

I'm glad that Koko is starting to appreciate Banri, but we're 4 episodes in and from the looks of it in the preview she's
still completely infatuated with Mitsuo. It's getting annoying as that feel of friend-zone is oh too real. I know the OP makes it clear they'll end up together but I have a fear that it'll take forever to finally let go of her feelings.

Something I really appreciate the anime is covering is the deconstruction of romance stereotypes: most obvious example is the childhood best friend turned future lover. A lot of romance anime clings unto the hope that childhood friends will always end up together. But things we say as kids are just that: things kids say. We grow up and have experiences and won't have the same feelings for everybody throughout our whole life.

It doesn't bother me as much in shows like Lamune where the childhood friends have spent every waking moment with each other, but in shows where the childhood friend leaves and comes back years later and all of a sudden "I'm still in love with you" makes me cringe because that's just lazy writing.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Golden Time 4

Koko is basically the female version of Nice Guy, isn't she?

This is my kind of concert, fuck yeah.

Oh shit. Nice bomba.

Nagi no Asukara Episode 4
tumblr_mv75sdpGoW1sn9jf9o6_250.gif

The crying and angry kids level was just threw the roof, what an intense and powerful episode at times. Kaname getting a moment was as pleasing as the typical awesome Hikari moments. I liked most of it
Wonder why the sea god needs them to stay in the sea for a bit longer, what must the big plot issue in the background be that were missing?

Quasar

Nagi no Asukara Episode 4
tumblr_mv75sdpGoW1sn9jf9o6_250.gif

The crying and angry kids level was just threw the roof, what an intense and powerful episode at times. Kaname getting a moment was as pleasing as the typical awesome Hikari moments. I liked most of it
Wonder why the sea god needs them to stay in the sea for a bit longer, what must the big plot issue in the background be that were missing?

It is curious...
after the whole 'half-breeds can't breathe underwater' from previous episodes that's in part related to the whole banishment edict.

jman2050

Golden Time 4

TRKyfM1.gif

Okay so this isn't going exactly as I pictured it would.

Well this train ain't stopping anytime soon. Give me your best shot Takemiya!

Also
poor Koko finally forced to come to terms with the dreaded Friend Zone. The place where dreams and fantasy goes to die a miserable realistic death. No I'm not bitter, why do you ask?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I finally ordered my Madoka Movie 3 tickets from Chicago, I'm so happy.
I want to go but Chicago's show time is just absurd. 9:45 PM on a Sunday...they'll probably start the actual movie around ten...no thanks Music Box.

If I want to watch a funny high school harem'esque comedy there are plenty better shows. Classics such as School Rumble, greats such as Nichijou and Daily Life of High School Boys, and recent favorites such as the Baka To Test series.

You have very good tastes. Those are some of my favorites in the comedy school life department. Out of curiosity, have you seen Zetsubou Sensei, or MM? Those are 2 of my favorites.

Yeah, it seems the other "choice" he could choose would be far funnier
Even if he'd stay as a girl forever xD

You have an awesome Clerks the Animated series avatar, so your word is good for me. :)

ibjEqRdEnzBxN2.gif

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kyoukai no Kanata 4

Still don't understand the hate. This was awesome. Yeah, I rolled my eyes a bit at the "
because you're a bespectacled beauty
" line, but I still feel like the good far outweighs the bad with this show.

Did really feel like a final episode, though (
aside from not resolving the Mirai/Sakura thing
), so I'm interested to see where they go from here.

cnet128

Banned
Welp, thanks to my shiny new copy of BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma, the amount of anime I managed to watch today was precisely zero. Dat game kept me hooked for the entire evening and I still want more. And I doubt I've even covered more than a couple percent of what the game has to offer.

Meanwhile I'm now already about ten episodes behind on anime and stuff as a result.

Basically I am SO SCREWED.

Samurai Flamenco 03

Strictly speaking if I were doing the 3-episode rule with this show, this episode... would have won me over. The first two episodes in my honest opinion were solid but the somewhat faulty advertising and misconception of what the show was about really made me disappointed.

Would I have preferred a show about a superhero in the making with the multi-character aspect and action of Baccano and Durarara?.... does Panda-kun like being lazy? (the answer is yes)

But having seen this episode I am won over. The main character's conviction has finally won me over, best girl continues to be best girl after only one episode, but more importantly the fact that Red Axe is as awesome of a character as he is really made me desire to keep watching this show.

I'm glad that he came the teacher. I want SF to start kicking at least a bit of ass and who better to train him than the action star who does his own stunts?

Samurai Flamenco Episode 3
tumblr_mv786qTDoP1qbxqfpo2_500.png
tumblr_mv786qTDoP1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Masayoshi was amazing all the way through and the blushing moments were his best yet.
okay and his powerful moment against Red Axe there inspiring us all. He really says the most inspirational and powerful things at times. Hes like the most ideal guy in an anime without any superpowers or anything.

The scene with Him and Goto in the apartment after the tv show was fun too
and he even got the autograph
. Ready for more.

You have very good tastes. Those are some of my favorites in the comedy school life department. Out of curiosity, have you seen Zetsubou Sensei, or MM? Those are 2 of my favorites.

I've actually added Zetsubou Sensei to my list recently. I'm gonna probably watch the anime and then read the manga later at some point. As to MM I hadn't heard of it but will add it to my list, seems like it has potential for good comedy. Similar to Baka Test. If you haven't seen it, I really recommend the Zombie Desu Ka series. I laughed pretty loud at many scenes throughout the show and it's a similar type of humor to Baka Test.

I'm guessing White Album 2 and Golden Time.

Will watch Golden Time 4 tonight and hope it makes me interested enough in Banri's character to actually commit to this series.

Honestly I think the most likable qualities of this character is similar to White Album 2's guy. Confident, very nice guy, and not a completely baffling idiot. I also like so far how they're handling his cliched past. Makes it very human

Gbraga

Man Golden Time was so good! Sleeper hit this season IMO, wasn't expecting it to be this good at all.

Golden Time 4

Waiting a week for new episodes is torture.

<3 sassy Koko

Totally knew Linda was someone important. It hasn't addressed the whole calling her the wrong name thing yet though. Hmmm.

Tada is fast.

Also best ED.

It really is great, but I think I'll choose Kyoukai no Kanata for that. It's a very close second though

Gazoinks

Honestly I think the most likable qualities of this character is similar to White Album 2's guy. Confident, very nice guy, and not a completely baffling idiot. I also like so far how they're handling his cliched past. Makes it very human

Yeah, that's definitely true, and I'm still not totally sure why it hasn't clicked for me (
the amnesia didn't help, but at least they're apparently doing a decent job with it
), but I'll keep watching and see how it goes.

Yeah, that's definitely true, and I'm still not totally sure why it hasn't clicked for me (
the amnesia didn't help, but at least they're apparently doing a decent job with it
), but I'll keep watching and see how it goes.

The way I'm personally seeing the show, it's the humanization of some cliched anime ideas. Like I mentioned in my episode review there's the deconstruction of the childhood friend love story, and now there's also
the cliched amnesia. They're making it a real issue instead of only a plot device

Take also into account that the anime is set in a university and possible future developments and it might just be one of those anime where best girl/best guy wins. These are rare.

Golden Time Ep 4

Whoa. The pacing of this show is pretty damn good. Didn't expect all this to happen this early in.

Crazy Koko scene at the beginning was great! After all the happened super looking forward to the next ep!

Gazoinks

The way I'm personally seeing the show, it's the humanization of some cliched anime ideas. Like I mentioned in my episode review there's the deconstruction of the childhood friend love story, and now there's also
the cliched amnesia. They're making it a real issue instead of only a plot device

Take also into account that the anime is set in a university and possible future developments and it might just be one of those anime where best girl/best guy wins. These are rare.

That's a pretty interesting interpretation of the series, I like that. I'll definitely keep that in mind when I watch the next episode.

cajunator

Banned
Golden Time 4

TRKyfM1.gif

Okay so this isn't going exactly as I pictured it would.

Well this train ain't stopping anytime soon. Give me your best shot Takemiya!

Also
poor Koko finally forced to come to terms with the dreaded Friend Zone. The place where dreams and fantasy goes to die a miserable realistic death. No I'm not bitter, why do you ask?

Yeah its interesting how its working the exact opposite way in this show than in most romcoms.

Welp, thanks to my shiny new copy of BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma, the amount of anime I managed to watch today was precisely zero. Dat game kept me hooked for the entire evening and I still want more. And I doubt I've even covered more than a couple percent of what the game has to offer.

Meanwhile I'm now already about ten episodes behind on anime and stuff as a result.

Basically I am SO SCREWED.

My Ps3 is currently downloading that back at home. Hope its good. Lotsa squeefighters in it.

Samurai Flamenco 03

Heh, that was fun.

Well Joji's character could use some work but I don't mind what I guess he's going do now in the show.

I've actually added Zetsubou Sensei to my list recently. I'm gonna probably watch the anime and then read the manga later at some point. As to MM I hadn't heard of it but will add it to my list, seems like it has potential for good comedy. Similar to Baka Test. If you haven't seen it, I really recommend the Zombie Desu Ka series. I laughed pretty loud at many scenes throughout the show and it's a similar type of humor to Baka Test.

I've seen season 1 and 2 of Zombie Desu Ka, it was really good. I lost it when Ayumu would dance, or have those imaginations of Eu lol.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Golden Time 4

As others have said, really impressed with the pacing of the show thus far. Makes me wonder just how much shit is gonna go down by the time it's all over, considering it's a two-cour series.

Also
FUCKING KNEW IT, Linda is Banri's girlfriend from high school

Golden Time 4

Yes, this really escalated quickly. We get
multiple confessions, a major confrontation, and end with a reveal that Linda is Banri's ex
all in one episode? The pacing of this makes it pretty difficult to see in what direction this will all go, and that's refreshing. It's also nice to have adults as the characters that don't play around and
wait 23 episodes to figure out they like someone and confess.

The series peaks with season 2 (Zoku) and the OVA series after that (Goku). Season 3, Zan, is kinda phoned in at points. But that makes sense, since Shaft was actually making Bakemonogatari at the exact same time, and the production issues with that are pretty well-known. It's still alright, because the source material is still good, but there's a noticeable drop in animation quality, and it doesn't really feel the same as the other seasons.

I don't think they've done two series at once since then. Probably a good idea, really.

But it's definitely a must-watch. I haven't read much of the manga, but it's pretty similar, just without the Shaft/Shinbo signature touch.

Another good series to watch if you end up liking Zetsubou-sensei is Joshiraku. The manga it's based on is written by Koji Kumeta, the creator of Zetsubou-sensei, although it's not drawn by him. He was busy with Zetsubou-sensei for the majority of its run, though, so I guess I can understand why. It has a very similar sense of humor, unsurprisingly.

Golden Time 4

Yes, this really escalated quickly. We get
multiple confessions, a major confrontation, and end with a reveal that Linda is Banri's ex
all in one episode? The pacing of this makes it pretty difficult to see in what direction this will all go, and that's refreshing. It's also nice to have adults as the characters that don't play around and
wait 23 episodes to figure out they like someone and confess.

Many of you are thinking she's automatically
the ex girlfriend. Maybe she's just someone he was close with back then? I think that's most likely seeing how it'd tie up with the childhood friend theme

The series peaks with season 2 (Zoku) and the OVA series after that (Goku). Season 3, Zan, is kinda phoned in at points. But that makes sense, since Shaft was actually making Bakemonogatari at the exact same time, and the production issues with that are pretty well-known. It's still alright, because the source material is still good, but there's a noticeable drop in animation quality, and it doesn't really feel the same as the other seasons.

I don't think they've done two series at once since then. Probably a good idea, really.

But it's definitely a must-watch. I haven't read much of the manga, but it's pretty similar, just without the Shaft/Shinbo signature touch.

Another good series to watch if you end up liking Zetsubou-sensei is Joshiraku. The manga it's based on is written by Koji Kumeta, the creator of Zetsubou-sensei, although it's not drawn by him. He was busy with Zetsubou-sensei for the majority of its run, though, so I guess I can understand why. It has a very similar sense of humor, unsurprisingly.

Thanks for the rec. Will add it to the list. I'm glad it has kept growing, I thought it wouldn't grow again after the last time I made it.

the ex girlfriend. Maybe she's just someone he was close with back then? I think that's most likely seeing how it'd tie up with the childhood friend theme

This is a romance anime,
there's no way she's anything but his ex. There's been a ton of foreshadowing about Banri potentially having a forgotten girlfriend too. Banri probably went to that school because that's where she was.

Defuser

Kill la Kill ep4

Goddamn, this episode is soo damn hilariously entertaining that I'm so willing to forgive the budget cuts for this episode. I could watch a thousand of these and not get tired at it.

jman2050

I don't know, after the conversation with episode 3
it seems pretty telegraphed that an old girlfriend he has no memory of is involved, and it makes sense that that would be Linda

Thanks for the rec. Will add it to the list. I'm glad it has kept growing, I thought it wouldn't grow again after the last time I made it.

I'll just say that I still think SZS is Shaft's best show. Yes even above Madoka and the Monogataris.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

I think she's
the ex
but I also think that
she's some how responsible for Tada's memory loss, which might explain why she's kinda acting like she doesn't already know him.

Gazoinks

Golden Time 04

Alright, I'm in. I liked this episode more than the last few, enough to convince me to actually keep this show.
Things happening! Really nice to see confessions showing up so early, as well as Koko already being forced to come to terms with how Mitsuo feels about her. I'm going to hold out hope for Banri and Koko getting together relatively soon (end of the first cour maybe?), it'd be nice to see a bunch of focus placed on the relationship instead of the stuff leading up to it.
Curious to see where this show goes now. Hopefully good places! A very small amount of my hopes hang in the balance!

Still mixed feelings about the
amnesia, but as long as it doesn't get really stupid I can roll with it.

I hope we can spend some time with Mitsuo soon, I feel like he's been lacking in development since the first episode.

This opening is so flamboyantly adorable it's kind of great.

This season is a windfall of romances where people actually talk about things and don't act like idiots.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kill la Kill 4

Holy shit, this show is still amazing in filler episodes that are so low-budget they use Inferno Cop-style animation and public-domain music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom