• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next Crunchyroll simulcast: Outbreak Company. Unfortunately it's also getting hit with the first simulcast delay of the season, two and a half days to Saturday nights at 10:00pm PDT, and still region restricted to North America only. Guess TBS still isn't entire comfortable with same-day streaming.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/10/02/crunchyroll-to-stream-outbreak-company-anime

Oh this was the one that was written by the Scrapped Princess author. I have some interest in this due to the author but the plot sounds terrible.

Way too much excitement over the (then) impending release of iM@S Channel, I guess.

roflbot.jpg

Soma

Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 01
ivgTQsQuXl1WZ.jpg
iWq9JSbiVf8LC.jpg

Obligatory best girls etc etc.

Please be good please be good please be... hey I actually enjoyed that quite a bit.

As expected the visuals look excellent and while it doesn't have that level of polish that Hyouka possessed, the action scenes sprinkled throughout the episode were well directed enough to make up for that. The moody atmosphere is great and the character designs showcased so far are really well-done. The soundtrack seems to be pretty strong in addition to having both a really nice OP and ED.

I think one of my only issues with this episode was the pacing. It seemed to want to dump a lot of information at the beginning so the pacing suffered as a result. Rozen Maiden 2013 had a similar issue with that as well. Rozen also managed to pick itself back up after that so I'm hoping KnK is able to do the same.

I think it has a lot of promise. Will definitely continue watching.

Pooya

kyoukai no kanata - 1

Surprise, there's a Tragic Past for the lead. I wonder if this is the kyoani LN formula by this point - it'll no doubt pop up in episode six ruining whatever good will the viewers had for the show.

urr. I'll wait for someone (you) to dig up light novel spoilers and tell us if this is worth wasting time on or not. Free! and Chuu2 were enough already for me >.<

-----

Coppelion - 1

this seems alright, don't mind how it looks personally. Can't write up more right now. later

Tenumi

Banned
The iDOLM@STER: 02

Kind of feel bad for the producer guy. It seems like he's jumped into a whole mess of things to deal with. Also, photography is serious business. Dressing up for it, is not.

jman2050

Kyoukai no Kanata 1

So this is literally Chuu2 with less comedy, more action, and the delusions aren't delusions. I'm oddly okay with this.

Good:
- Looks really good, as per KyoAni's usual. Anytime anyone was fighting something the show was pretty fun to watch.
- Protagonist doesn't immediately make me want to punch him in the face
- Black-haired club member is best girl
- Story and setting is interesting, if hackneyed
- It's actually pretty funny when it tries to be, most of the time anyway.

Eh:
-Music is decent but unremarkable.

Bad:
- Don't know how I feel about whatever weird colored filter is being used on every shot
- The pacing and timing of these scenes is uh... questionable, let's go with that
- The dialogue is uh... not good. At all. I'm not sure if it's because they started in a bad spot and thus had to stay in Exposition Mode the entire way through or if this is going to be an unfortunate trend. Writing (or more accurately getting good writers I guess) is not at all this studio's strong suit so I'm fearing the latter.
- I'm starting to get kind of sick of the "impossibly clumsy moe girl" archetype, especially how KyoAni does it.
- Not nearly enough black-haired club member, not even close.

Show shows promise and I enjoyed it overall, we'll see how things go in the coming weeks. I think we'll be fine as long as it later on avoids any cloying romantic drahahahaha who am I kidding, we're totally getting tons of tears and tragedy and dokidoki moments before this is all over.

Jarmel

Banned
Kyoukai no Kanata 1-
ibg1WaA4RmJhCI.gif

The writing tries too hard to be witty. I'm not against a sarcastic lead, such as Kyon or Oreki, the problem is when everybody becomes sarcastic or humorous. Maybe that's what the brother in the next episode is for, the straight man, but so far it's a little too Whedonish. A bit too self-referential/aware as well. It also had to get some exposition out of the way but that's to be expected. The biggest problem though, is again the main heroine in that she acts way too clumsy at times. I get that she's a newbie but they kinda drill it in a bit too much. I do like her airheadedness in some of the dialogue lines though like in the dinner scene. One interesting thing about the lead, Akihito, is that he plays along with the antics of Mirai. He's kinda like Kyon in that he bitches about it but doesn't really fight against participating. That said, he does have pretty decent chemistry with Mirai. He holds himself back a few times when he realizes he's getting under her skin.
ibvMaITFwTpyOE.gif

That said, the direction does a lot to try and help the writing. There are a lot of visual cues that are left unstated, or later explained, but help in the worldbuilding. Also some of the character expressions do help with the dialogue and make it better than it would be just on paper.

The soundtrack is phenomenal. It reminds me of Noein a bit but it in general fits really well. Both the OP and ED are pretty good, both visually and musically. Hopefully Ito is able to keep this quality level.
iLS6H4F0uTSW9.gif

The animation is pretty fantastic, especially the animation shots. Really dynamic and fluid. Also has some good background art as well.

It's a decent enough start. They need to tone some stuff back but it's got my attention so far.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hulu's soft-subs have this great feature where they don't scale with the window size. It's been that way for years now. So glad Viz uses them for their simulcasts.
even still who uses flat yellow subs?

also there's no excuse for how poorly timed the subs are.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member

DiGiKerot

So who is getting all these shows in the EU/UK?

*shrug* Possibly no-one - I rather suspect this more recent batch of shows are things licensed by Sentai, via TBS, that you wouldn't necessarily expect to appear in the UK anyway.

As far as UK specific things go, all we know is that Anime Limited have something - what it is, and where it may be streaming, is anyone's guess (though Kill la Kill or Samurai Flamenco would probably be sound guesses for the first part).

Gazoinks

Vaguely interested in Kyoukai no Kanata, but I think I'm gonna wait a couple of episodes to see everyone's impressions. Animation looks nice, but I hope the writing improves.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
coppelion 01
this show is absolutely terrible. ugly enough on its own, the show is also enshrouded by a horrific set of inconsistent filters. the design work stands out as being particularly bad. complicating things visual is the tendency for garish flashing lights to create an even bigger visual mess on screen. for some reason the show flickers wildly even when there is no movement happening that would have an impact on the lighting.

the clash between these school girls and this post apocalyptic setting feels more stupid than surreal. scenes feature awkward and illogical positioning between characters and the backgrounds, and it's hard to get a good sense of the tone between the mix of dull anime tropes and the dry interpretation of a desolate decaying city. much of the set up here just feels lazy and poorly executed upon.

Readability is the intent as it tends to stick out in most material, though white text with black outlines does this better.

Of course readibility is fine. That doesn't excuse it from being awful though.

There's actually an article I read the other day on AnimEigo's site that explains, more or less, where that came from. It was basically their fault.

http://www.animeigo.com/about/secret-history-animeigo

Well at least they accepted the blame. Points for them.

fertygo

Beyond the Boundary - 01

This is actually really unpleasant for me to watch, I haven't got this kind of experience since.. Angel Beats episode, thats mean really bad.

Have bullshit story is one thing, but if you have everything felt spotty and have unnatural sense of progression in the story is the worst thing you can do.

Man my stomach feel really weird everytime they trying to pull Nisioisin type of dialogue and just fall REALLY flat, and those cringe worthy monologue.. just ugh.. I have hope this can be decent chuunibyou show, I don't mind with LN kind of writing but I'm afraid we dealing with the worst of that kind of story here..

OceanBlue

All of these KnK impressions really have me worried. I have a high tolerance for bad LN writing so hopefully it's not too hard on me.

Jarmel

Banned
Coppelion- 1

This was just as awful as I remember it. I do think they fixed the wolf scene, I remember it being even worse with more shakycam.

Fuck anyone who thought that filter was a good idea.

Kyoukai no Kanata 1

The dialogue and writing is as poor as everyone warned about. The humor just falls flat, but the largest problem for me is that the female lead is such a dull arrangement of cliches without anything of interest to her. I'm not sure how many scenes of her clumsiness I can stand. The rest of the characters are still largely undeveloped, so maybe there is some hope elsewhere.

fertygo

All of these KnK impressions really have me worried. I have a high tolerance for bad LN writing so hopefully it's not too hard on me.

Me too, I actually like those kind of edgy bullshit story lol
But episode 1 feel really bad for me, I hope its can improve and not became Angel Beats : Kyoani craft edition.

Jarmel

Banned
First episodes in scifi and fantasy stories are almost always kinky in dialogue due to exposition or setup, especially when the entire team or crew isn't together.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think I'm just going to avoid Coppelion entirely to save my eyes for Mardock Scramble 3.

Jarmel

Banned
fitting end for a terrible intro, really. so zany!

I actually like it in concept. It would have served as good background info on the main male character, establishing the world, create a link between the two leads, set the tone, and be intriguing. Problem is the dialogue/writing falters. You never should start anything with a formal definition.

Theonik

Of course readibility is fine. That doesn't excuse it from being awful though.
I'm not saying it's not poor just explaining why it was used.
Of course, there are better solutions now to what DVDs had to deal with but the problem then becomes that a lot of those streaming sites cba to develop robust subtitle systems.

I'm not saying it's not poor just explaining why it was used.
Of course, there are better solutions now to what DVDs had to deal with but the problem then becomes that a lot of those streaming sites cba to develop robust subtitle systems.

Okay then.

Kyoukai no Kanata 1

Well there was some sakuga, some perverse text to make it sound smarter than it actually is. I think they got too high off of Monogatari's success or something.

Right now, it's at an eh.

I actually like it in concept. It would have served as good background info on the main male character, establishing the world, create a link between the two leads, set the tone, and be intriguing. Problem is the dialogue/writing falters. You never should start anything with a formal definition.

Yeah I agree. Despite rarely being used well, I don't hate the voice over intro in concept, but the execution was just poor. It could have been worse though, it could have started with "That's me, Akihito, and boy was I about to have a bad day."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom