• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
When you put it like that,
a sad ending would have actually worked. Tomoya helps everyone else get a happy ending, but he himself doesn't get the happy ending. The lesson could be about balance in life and in a way turn it around to him being the 'bearer of their misfortune'. He absorbed the bad parts of their lives; he creates happiness around him, but he himself is forced to live in sadness or something

Dunno,

Maybe but
in none of the other arcs are people forced to "live in sadness" or whatnot. Yeah, they may still be dealing with hardships (like Kotomi never getting her parents back) but ultimately she's not wallowing in despair on the inside and bearing it alone.
I mean you could get that work, I guess,
but just seems too "Well, shit sucks. Sorry kid" to jive with everything else.

Especially if another theme of the show is Karma. If we look at Karma as a major theme, then through this ending Tomoya is being rewarded for all the good he did in the show. I mean, he pretty selflessly helped a lot of people, some he cared about deeply, some he barely knew. He often throws his own body on the line. If that is a major theme, it would be just basically shat on by doing a bad or bittersweet end. Tomoya deserved the good end. He earned it, imo.

fertygo

Early data from the sales list says that the first volume of Infinite Stratos 2, with just the extended first episode, sold about 23,500 BD+DVD to kick off the Fall Season charts. Compare to 29,368 v1w1 for the first season.

Wut, The BD already released? LMAO Motherfucker can't wait no more for dat otaku money.
but there's one where you steal Anthy then make out with her.
Best ending eva.

Have you tried going through a different video cable like VGA to see if maybe it's the HDMI doing something wonky?
Bah. You nailed it, but I'm not sure why. I found a DVI-converter and plugged into the VGA spot on my TV. I re-watched for a couple of minutes and it has played smoother than it ever has with absolutely no jitter. But even more than that...my mouse no longer has any lag/delay to it all. I thought I was paranoid and there was no delay, but now that I have it hooked up this way and move my mouse, I realize there is instant response on my TV. It feels like there is some sort of "Game Mode" junk on that is messing with my refresh rate. So now I have to figure out how to get it working fine with my HDMI. There must be a setting somewhere.

If your TV supports 24hz then you can force that in the computers driver output settings. That should fix the jitter.

Otherwise you can install CCCP, get madVR & turn on smooth motion which'll get rid off the choppy panning shots without sacrificing detail.
My TV supports 24hz. If I set it to that, I should only be using it when watching my anime/TV shows/movies, right?

I just plugged my HDMI back in, set to 24Hz and the video is smooth as can be. I'm curious what is causing that input delay, but I'll call it a victory for now.

wonzo

Banned
My TV supports 24hz. If I set it to that, I should only be using it when watching my anime/TV shows/movies, right?
Yeah, unless the video source is at 30 frames.

Again, if the TV supports 120hz then it'd be best to just set the output to that as you'll have pretty much everything covered.

I never played the VN but people who did say that the idea of the ending comes through better in it because you have to do all the routes and
the magical little bullshit balls are given more focus, or something along those lines.
It's still pretty shitty.

Yes, it's a terrible ending which mixes nonsensical supernatural mumbo-jumbo with a lame copout. It makes a little more sense in the VN but that doesn't change this fundamental fact. The two other Key VNs I'm familiar with, Air and Kanon, have similar problems with their endings, so I have to conclude that it's one of Jun Maeda's biggest weaknesses as a writer. (Among many others...)

I think one of my earliest posts in these anime threads was my own fanfiction attempt to fix the Clannad ending... which is sort of embarrassing now.

Articalys

something seems to be busy for now (or forgot about the DST switch). Enjoy my poorly-formatted charts until I replace them later with the better ones.
Blu-ray sales Oct. 28- Nov. 3 said:
*1, 18,758 18,758 Infinite Stratos 2 vol.1
*2, *6,867 *6,867 High School DxD New vol.2
*3, *5,713 *5,713 Kiniro Mosaic vol.2
*4, *5,144 *5,144 Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT vol.4
*5, *3,869 *3,869 Tamayura ~More Aggressive~ vol.1
*6, *3,726 *3,726 Hyperdimension Neptunia vol.2
*7, *3,337 *3,337 Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS vol.2
*8, *2,528 37,832 Monogatari Series Second Season vol.1
*9, *2,227 *2,227 Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko vol.5
10, *2,191 13,732 Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 2000% vol.5

Thoraxes

jYiY6Ig.gif

Fuuuuuck it still hurts.

#TeamKanna

We shall never die.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
it will be fun to watch how much is2 drops off heading towards its final volume.

Yeah, unless the video source is at 30 frames.

Again, if the TV supports 120hz then it'd be best to just set the output to that as you'll have pretty much everything covered.
My TVs listed refresh rate is Refresh Rate 120HZ, but next to that it says TruMotion. So I'm not sure if it truly supports 120 or what. My computer reports that the max refresh rate is 70HZ. I just discovered there is a game mode, and when I set my TV to that the delay disappears, but my picture grows a tad darker (no biggie). And I'm not noticing any jitter anymore either. What on Earth is this esoteric game mode and why am I just now discovering it? I hate technology. I wish I could just turn things on and they work perfect. Anywho...thanks for the help. Things are working great it seems. Sadly, I just got to the arena arc of Hunter x Hunter and after all this tinkering I'm tired. Guess I'll dig in tomorrow night.

Jintor

Log Horizon 03

Huh, I guess Elder Tales wasn't a VR game. Interesting implications.

Debauchery Tea Party is still a stupid name for a club, or whatever it is, though. Dang engrish.

Thorn Bind is a really interesting power. I really like how the protag is a support character, it really makes for a very different dynamic to these fights.

I appreciate that it seems like even the generic PK thugs have pretty unique designs. Lol, I guess this guy's the first 'boss' or something... seems cool.

wonzo

Banned
My TVs listed refresh rate is Refresh Rate 120HZ, but next to that it says TruMotion. So I'm not sure if it truly supports 120 or what. My computer reports that the max refresh rate is 70HZ. I just discovered there is a game mode, and when I set my TV to that the delay disappears, but my picture grows a tad darker (no biggie). And I'm not noticing any jitter anymore either. What on Earth is this esoteric game mode and why am I just now discovering it? I hate technology. I wish I could just turn things on and they work perfect. Anywho...thanks for the help. Things are working great it seems. Sadly, I just got to the arena arc of Hunter x Hunter and after all this tinkering I'm tired. Guess I'll dig in tomorrow night.
Game mode tends to turns off as much post processing as possible to significantly reduce input lag.

Articalys

DVD sales Oct. 28- Nov. 3 said:
*1, 5,738 *5,738 Hetalia The Beautiful World vol.4
*2, 4,808 *4,808 Infinite Stratos 2 vol.1
*3, 1,944 *1,944 High School DxD New vol.2
*5, 1,590 *9,666 Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 2000% vol.5
*6, 1,454 10,990 Space Battleship Yamato 2199 vol.7
*8, 1,064 *1,064 Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT vol.4
11, *,790 **,790 Danball Senki Wars vol.1
13, *,737 **,737 Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS vol.2
15, *,666 26,640 Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods
16, *,637 13,948 Attack on Titan vol.4
17, *,632 **,632 Hyperdimension Neptunia vol.2
19, *,610 **,610 Tamayura ~More Aggressive~ vol.1
20, *,605 *5,042 Monogatari Series Second Season vol.1
22, *,568 **,568 Kin-iro Mosaic vol.2
28, *,491 *3,610 Brothers Conflict vol.3
29, *,470 *3,395 Saint Young Men LE
30, *,461 **,461 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Bride vol.5
Will post the nicer looking lists w/commentary from something in the morning.

Now that I think about it, I've never actually finished Clannad After Story even though I know everything that happens.. I should maybe get to that.

Pokemon X and Y - 02 English
I think its pathetic when Ash and Jessie are the only half-decent actors in this show. Oh and the woman who plays Pikachu, but she doesn't count.

Professor Sycamore sounds depressed and 30 years older than he should. Bonnie loses half her adorableness in her grownup gravely voice. At least Clement's voice is appropriate.

Pokemon saying their names continues to be the worst thing ever.

0uvamRv.jpg

Grr I need to clean up my backlog before I start watching new shows.

I'm seeing a bit of Tamayura now. It's been in my queue for 6 months. On a scale from Unlimited Blade Works to AOTY, how good is it?

Log Horizon 03

Huh, I guess Elder Tales wasn't a VR game. Interesting implications.

I wonder how they
got trapped inside it then. I also wonder why they're just kinda going through the motions and not really concerned with finding out how to get out. I guess it's too early for that though. Then again, if I were trapped in a game and had awesome powers, I don't think I'd want to leave anyway. So long as my physical body wasn't rotting somewhere at least.

javac

I don't know if this is the right thread but I picked this up recently. I've heard good things and I'm a massive Gainax fan which makes me not having seen this yet pretty crazy. So...what should I expect? I've been getting my brother into anime, showing him all the Ghibli movies and Bebop. I'm guessing this isnt one I should show him? lol

Royal Space Force Blu-ray and DVD
c8QGwBJ.jpg

Walkure, Texas Romanze 04
Surprisingly low amount of fanservice in this episode.

And of course Takahiro is better than the girls even when crippled.

Akane's samurai armor is super cool.

sonicmj1

I don't know if this is the right thread but I picked this up recently. I've heard good things and I'm a massive Gainax fan which makes me not having seen this yet pretty crazy. So...what should I expect? I've been getting my brother into anime, showing him all the Ghibli movies and Bebop. I'm guessing this isnt one I should show him? lol

It's one you should show him.

Royal Space Force is Gainax's first real project, and while it shares that early-Gainax love of science fiction in general and machines, Honneamise has a down-to-earth realism to it that makes it very unique. It has a really coherent alternate-universe culture without much parallel, and it explores the question of the potential of scientific progress and space flight without throwing giant otakubait exclamation marks all over it, by showing the impact of the nascent space program on all kinds of characters. It's really good, if a little slow-paced, and it's a shame it was a commercial failure.

Jex

[Space Battleship Yamato 2199] 23 - 26

God damn this might well be my anime of the year. What an amazing series.

Jintor

Grr I need to clean up my backlog before I start watching new shows.

I'm seeing a bit of Tamayura now. It's been in my queue for 6 months. On a scale from Unlimited Blade Works to AOTY, how good is it?

I wonder how they
got trapped inside it then. I also wonder why they're just kinda going through the motions and not really concerned with finding out how to get out. I guess it's too early for that though. Then again, if I were trapped in a game and had awesome powers, I don't think I'd want to leave anyway. So long as my physical body wasn't rotting somewhere at least.

It's also a bit odd then
how they're used to the UI and it being touch-based AR apparently. Maybe it was a tablet game lol

javac

It's one you should show him.

Royal Space Force is Gainax's first real project, and while it shares that early-Gainax love of science fiction in general and machines, Honneamise has a down-to-earth realism to it that makes it very unique. It has a really coherent alternate-universe culture without much parallel, and it explores the question of the potential of scientific progress and space flight without throwing giant otakubait exclamation marks all over it, by showing the impact of the nascent space program on all kinds of characters. It's really good, if a little slow-paced, and it's a shame it was a commercial failure.

Thanks for that. I'm really excited to watch this. It sounds weird (or maybe not) but I always get excited when I have something like this to watch. I really hype it up and take my time to delve into it and soak it all up.

My brother is 14 which seems young but he's actually really bloody mature. His favourite of the Ghibli movies was Whisper of the heart and Porco Rosso! He also loved Howl's Moving Castle and Poppy hill. He loved them all apart from Kiki's for some reason.

To be fair he wasn't too thrilled with Ocean Waves and Only Yesterday either which were two of my faves.

I don't like spoiling myself but with a movie as old as this it's hard to avoid them. I remember hearing that this movie contains a scene that's a bit...out there which is why I think I shouldn't show him yet.

You shouldn't hide from deep and adult themes but sometimes you have to ease into it. I think I'll just stick to showing him Ghibli for now :p

fertygo

Serial Experiment Lain - 13
OK, Now this eps I don't really understand shit of it.

That was awesome ride btw, I can't say much of it but I'm so engrossed and immersed with each episode, its so captivating..

The story is much less confusing than I thought will be like the last two eps of Evangelion for the whole show, I can get the most of information aside for last episode, not counting the meta and symbolism though.. those kind of stuff always passing my head.

Amazing show.

[Space Battleship Yamato 2199] 23 - 26

God damn this might well be my anime of the year. What an amazing series.

I need to watch this.

Jex

[Hajime no Ippo: Rising] - 5

The music in this show sure is weak. Luckily the fight was pretty compared to the earlier brawl.

wonzo

Banned
Yozakura Quartet ~Hana no Uta~ 1-2

yozaquhananouta2.jpg

These first two episodes not only look great thanks to the fantastic animation and overall style, but also do a far better job than the manga did at building up the world and introducing all the various characters. I hope it continues taking liberties with the original manga for the rest of its run (which includes the relationship between Kotoha and Ao being more than subtext.)

Well, except for the prolific pantyshots and pervyness which is ratcheted up to utterly ridiculous levels. Though that's not to say Yasuda's (inferior) art wasn't pervy as hell either.

Your TV might still be laggy in general, though.
Well yeah, it definitely depends upon the make & model.

Jex

Patlabor TV 37

That we get an episode about an insurance investigator looking into the team's claims for collateral damage is why I like Patlabor so much in comparison to other mecha series.

Also, just when I'm complaining about Ota the series takes time out to humanize him. It's like they read my mind.

I was about to say just wait for episode 37 but you got there ahead of me!

Gbraga

The weird thing about Lain is that I watched I years ago and I remember liking it a lot, but all I can remember about the actual show is "present day, present time", I can't recall a single thing about any episode. I should rewatch it some day.

Theonik

I cried at G Gundam. My eyes were burning red.

Corvo uses the shift key instead of pressing the caps lock button, that's pretty Looney.
Shift is the only sane way to capitalise when typing. Hell I don't even have a caps lock key on my keyboard. Dumbest change IBM's brought to keyboard layouts.

TVs usually can only accept a 60Hz input even if they are 120Hz panels. If that's the case you want to output 23.976 FPS to them when playing video and let the TV's processor do the pulldown for you that will be better than having software do at 60.

Honneamise is probably the Gainax film to show him actually since it's mostly clean too.
Sonic's post said anything else I wanted to say.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Clannad: After Story 18

Okay, that's it, it finally happened. I cried, not ashamed of it. Whoever said they wanted my reaction for episode 18, well here you go.
My favorite thing about this is that those tears are evoked from a moment of happiness,
not some cheap death like Nagisa's
. And I agree that it was perfect, in buildup and execution, right down to the musical timing. One of the greatest scenes in anime IMO, despite how you feel about the rest of the series.

javac

Honneamise is probably the Gainax film to show him actually since it's mostly clean too.
Sonic's post said anything else I wanted to say.

Right. I showed him the first few eps of Evangelion and he enjoyed it. I guess I'll give it a shot. Specifically about the Blu-ray itself, anyone have this on Blu-ray and can vouch for the quality?

Conan-san

Now that I think about it, I've never actually finished Clannad After Story even though I know everything that happens.. I should maybe get to that.

Pokemon X and Y - 02 English
I think its pathetic when Ash and Jessie are the only half-decent actors in this show. Oh and the woman who plays Pikachu, but she doesn't count.

Professor Sycamore sounds depressed and 30 years older than he should. Bonnie loses half her adorableness in her grownup gravely voice. At least Clement's voice is appropriate.

Pokemon saying their names continues to be the worst thing ever.

0uvamRv.jpg
I get that (And man Sarah Natochenny has come a ways since the change over) and part of me really hates the wait that's being put (Presumably to put a buffer incase anything happens, something that's not entirely unknown to pokemon, hell Best Wishes went to shit because they chose not to fire on the first plot they had for Team Plasma) because lord does the filler suck right now but the subs that are being paped out are somewha annoying.

BTB: I will always find it hilarious how Jason Griffith has made a career out of being the not-brocks of each cocorent arc.

sonicmj1

<Any image in a link is a spoiler>

Ano Natsu de Matteiru 11-12 - END

iyiyosOnNhghi.jpg

I feel like some version of this shot has to be in every anime with a romance ever.

Well, that built into quite a finale. Maybe some of that was obvious (what better way to make things exciting than a race against time?) but still, watching everyone try their best to help Ichika reach the place in her memories was nice to see. Also, super fucking :firehawk. You try to make things happen, and however it works out, you'll always have your memories.

iZ045KmlJ3DfX.jpg

Whatever Remon is, she is a goddess.

There were some turns in the end, though, that worked surprisingly well. Mostly involving Remon. And they were glorious. Like, jaw dropping. And it wasn't so out of left field that it seemed like bullshit. Just smiles.

Good show. Romcom melodrama without too much contrived bullshit and stalling. I think Toradora was more effective in the end, but this was a much smoother ride.

Sequel please.

I don't like spoiling myself but with a movie as old as this it's hard to avoid them. I remember hearing that this movie contains a scene that's a bit...out there which is why I think I shouldn't show him yet.

That scene is weird more for its implications than its content. I don't think it'll be a problem. Might be an opportunity for a good talk.

Theonik

Right. I showed him the first few eps of Evangelion and he enjoyed it. I guess I'll give it a shot. Specifically about the Blu-ray itself, anyone have this on Blu-ray and can vouch for the quality?
I do, it's pretty good. It was shot in 35mm so the telecine turned out quite well.
Only complaint I had was the packaging really.

sonicmj1

I had forgotten just how good looking this show is. Masayoshi Tanaka always delivers.

Yeah, it really is a good looking show. I've had a hard time articulating it. I keep mentioning the lighting of the backgrounds, but I feel like that's only a part of the picture. Whatever they did, their portrayal of Shinshu captures both the sense of a hot, bright summer and all the verdant nature in the region.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I caught up with Gingitsune which is also known as Silver Wolf which is also known as that one anime with the big white anthropomorphic wolfie.

Going to stick with it though I hope that younger wolf doesn't get too annoying.

LordCanti

Evangelion Movie 3

Wut? Okay. Whatever.

It seems like everything would have been fine if someone had been all
"Hey, Shinji, seriously, your Dad's a dick and you'll destroy humanity if you get in an EVA again" instead of all "FUCK YOU SHINJI". Then again, just killing him would have achieved the same thing, I guess.

As always with Evangelion, they toss words around like they mean something to the audience when the audience has absolutely no idea what they're talking about.
Lilin?
Great. Off to wikipedia I go and...okay it means
human.
Cool. Say that next time.
Adam?
Okay, I've read a bible, I get it. Staahhhpppp. Had to wikipedia again to figure out what that was in the context of the show. If your movie uses vague misappropriated symbolism to conceal otherwise simple ideas to the extent that no one watching knows what you're talking about, then you need to rethink your usage of symbolism.

At least it looked cool I guess, and the story seems to be going to a more interesting place than I thought the original did.

Evangelion Movie 3

Wut? Okay. Whatever.
Adam?
Okay, I've read a bible, I get it. Staahhhpppp. Had to wikipedia again to figure out what that was in the context of the show. If your movie uses vague misappropriated symbolism to conceal otherwise simple ideas to the extent that no one watching knows what you're talking about, then you need to rethink your usage of symbolism.

At least it looked cool I guess, and the story seems to be going to a more interesting place than I thought the original did.

The
Adam
threw me off a little bit because in the Rebuild universe there are
four Adam's, and none of them are the first Angel

As much as I love the Rebuild films, they do seem to rely on the viewer having some previous Evangelion knowledge. [2.0 and 3.0]

Now for 4 to hurry up and give me more Mari!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom