• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

You say this and then immediately spend a paragraph talking about Fairy Tail?

tonystare.gif

And then proceeds to do megapost dedicated entirely to Infinite Stratos

lmao

fertygo

Serial Experiment Lain - 09
This is pretty damn fascinating. Also I need good TVtrope article or whatever that explain everything when I'm done.

Clannad: After Story 21

Really? REALLY? AGAIN?!

Just... why? Does Ushio really have to die? Do we really need a repeat of Nagisa? Hell as much as I don't want to be, I'm calling Ushio's death right now because fuck it this is just messed. I thought atleast Ushio had, you know, adolescence to go through just like Nagisa but apparently not.

At this point Fuko just needs smack everyone with a starfish or something. I literally see nothing plot-wise in
Ushio's death
, I mean we already went through that. Bah.

Edit: And apparently the last episode is the finale, with the last 2 being OVA's or something, COME ON.

Really? REALLY? AGAIN?!

Just... why? Does Ushio really have to die? Do we really need a repeat of Nagisa? Hell as much as I don't want to be, I'm calling Ushio's death right now because fuck it this is just messed. I thought atleast Ushio had, you know, adolescence to go through just like Nagisa but apparently not.

At this point Fuko just needs smack everyone with a starfish or something. I literally see nothing plot-wise in
Ushio's death

Edit: And apparently the last episode is the finale, with the last 2 being OVA's or something, COME ON.

Part of me was hoping more tears, but outrage is fine too.

Just like cats. Depending if you're like me the next episode will produce even more outrage at animu logic.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Really? REALLY? AGAIN?!

Ushio's death

The finale takes a confusing turn. Let it sink in and think about everything that has transpired.

Ookiku Furikabutte 24

Oh wow, the ending of the first game was so exciting!

I don't think I ever been so into watching a baseball game!

cajunator

Banned
Hunter x Hunter Ep. Something to 24
Are you shitting me?!
They go to see Killua, which seems like it is going to be an awesome mini-rescue arc....just to have his father set him free?! COME ON! When is a real fight going to happen?
I'm going to continue watching until I'm ready to pass out tonight. If by the time I pass out something hasn't hooked me, I might bail. 24 episodes is just way too long at this point. No amazing fights. No character development---only the initial foundation for each character. I should be able to get through at least 6 more. Wish me luck. I so badly want this to be good.

You say this and then immediately spend a paragraph talking about Fairy Tail?

tonystare.gif
And then proceeds to do megapost dedicated entirely to Infinite Stratos

lmao
A lot of anime, most of it almost certainly, is stupid in some way. And sure, IS and Fairy Tail are stupid in lots of ways. The question is, though, whether it's a tolerable stupid or an intolerable stupid. Yuyushiki is all about two annoying brain-dead-idiot girls and their other friend who's not as bad. That's intolerably stupid for me; those two characters are too dumb to bear, when they're the main focus of the series particularly.

Fairy Tail, however, is stupid in plenty of ways, but not really that one; its characters are dumb, but not quite as badly, and not in that way. The stupidity is mostly about silly stuff like "power of friendship winning over all" and stuff like that, which is often bearable because of how entertainingly exaggerated it is in the series. And IS... season 1 was so bad that it was good, so much of a failure in almost every way that it was quite entertaining. Season 2 isn't at that level, it's more generic and not as interesting, but it's still IS, so my residual interest, and a few good additions like Russia, are keeping me watching. So yeah, it depends on the kind of stupid.

fertygo

Hunter x Hunter Ep. Something to 24
Are you shitting me?!
They go to see Killua, which seems like it is going to be an awesome mini-rescue arc....just to have his father set him free?! COME ON! When is a real fight going to happen?
I'm going to continue watching until I'm ready to pass out tonight. If by the time I pass out something hasn't hooked me, I might bail. 24 episodes is just way too long at this point. No amazing fights. No character development---only the initial foundation for each character. I should be able to get through at least 6 more. Wish me luck. I so badly want this to be good.

But it is good, people aren't deceiving you buddy.. trust them, the Heaven arena arc is near.

The finale takes a confusing turn. Let it sink in and think about everything that has transpired.

Too late, I just went straight into it.

Clannad: After Story 22

So... ummm... yeah... Basically I think Key was watching Evangelion at the time and decided to borrow a page from it and attempt their own "mindfuck" of sorts but failed in that regard.

Anyways reactions...
Sooo... ummm... not sure about any of you guys but I like some 'permanence' when I watch tragedies, it gives more a of realistic feel and able to attach to characters better and with how Clannad: After Story was progressing that feel was very much alive until this episode (and arguably the ending from last episode). Basically with this episode/ending, everything from post Nagisa death/Ushio's birth is declared null and void as Tomoya, it seems, is the only one who remembers anything from that 'timeline' or whatever. So that tear-wrenching episode 18? Yeah toss it out the window, everything is fine now.

My reactions was basically Shock > Confused > Angry > Dissapoint. Gonna watch the OVAs I guess and then I'll draft up a series review tomorrow. But so far I am disappoint, this anime could've been perfect or atleast near-perfect in my eyes.

But it is good, people aren't deceiving you buddy.. trust them, the Heaven arena arc is near.
You guys pushing me is what's keeping me going. I feel like a marathon runner with my group of pep talkers yelling at me not to give up. Let me toss some water in my face and keep on truckin'

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Too late, I just went straight into it.

Clannad: After Story 22

So... ummm... yeah... Basically I think Key was watching Evangelion at the time and decided to borrow a page from it and attempt their own "mindfuck" of sorts but failed in that regard.

Anyways reactions...
Sooo... ummm... not sure about any of you guys but I like some 'permanence' when I watch tragedies, it gives more a of realistic feel and able to attach to characters better and with how Clannad: After Story was progressing that feel was very much alive until this episode (and arguably the ending from last episode). Basically with this episode/ending, everything from post Nagisa death/Ushio's birth is declared null and void as Tomoya, it seems, is the only one who remembers anything from that 'timeline' or whatever. So that tear-wrenching episode 18? Yeah toss it out the window, everything is fine now.

My reactions was basically Shock > Confused > Angry > Dissapoint. Gonna watch the OVAs I guess and then I'll draft up a series review tomorrow. But so far I am disappoint, this anime could've been perfect or atleast near-perfect in my eyes.

Here's how I see it:

They hint at the idea of the supernatural and wishes throughout the whole thing. The cat, the lights, Fuko, Nagisa & Akio, the robot and girl. You might not like it but they were actively working towards that with all of them. They constantly keep hinting at the ideas of wishes and second chances. By starting over Tomoya learns not to regret his time with Nagisa and gets his wish at a second chance. He learn to not take what he has for granted as he gets a redo. Tomoya (and the audience) remember what happens. The story is ultimately Tomoya's struggles to become less of a jaded, self-loathing person and gets a chance to avoid all that hardship without having to lose Nagisa and becoming a better individual.

Here's how I see it:

They hint at the idea of the supernatural and wishes throughout the whole thing. The cat, the lights, Fuko, Nagisa & Akio, the robot and girl. You might not like it but they were actively working towards that with all of them. They constantly keep hinting at the ideas of wishes and second chances. By starting over Tomoya learns not to regret his time with Nagisa and gets his wish at a second chance. He learn to not take what he has for granted as he gets a redo. Tomoya (and the audience) remember what happens. The story is ultimately Tomoya's struggles to become less of a jaded, self-loathing person and gets a chance to avoid all that hardship without having to lose Nagisa and becoming a better individual.

Or since it's based off a VN it could be the equivalent
or getting a bad end then reloading a previous save file.
no?

Don't get me wrong,
I enjoy supernatural themes and understand such themes were hinted/present since season one. However, I enjoy supernatural themes executed right and this ending was not unfortunatly. I'll get more into what I believe would've been a better ending in my series review later.

Gazoinks

Revolutionary Girl Utena 21
screenshot1267sskf.png

You know it's a 90s anime because the noses are inhumanly pointy

Really didn't see this one coming, it's cool that they're even developing
Nanami's minions.

WHY IS UTENA SO WORRIED ABOUT TOUGA. THE LAST TIME THEY MET HE MANIPULATED HER INTO DESTROYING HER ENTIRE IDENTITY. IS HIS ANIMAL MAGNETISM THAT STRONG. Anyway, I'm guessing he's reentering the show soon?

Oh, also, does anyone know the name of that one string motif that shows up a bunch? The one that plays during the episode previews, the thingy that shows after the commercial break, and in the episodes sometimes? It's all hmmm hm hm hmmm, hm hm hm hmmm hm hm. It's one of the more memorable tunes so far, so I wanted to see if there's a longer version but I have no idea what it's called.

Looks like we're digging into the mystery next time! I wasn't gonna watch another one, but now I kinda want to.

Spoilers for Clannad. Very minor FMA brotherhood spoilers too:

A realistic ending would have worked for the series better if it was a competely realistic story (more or less ruling out season 1 ). I also agree that they basically threw out the feels from [episode 16 I think when nagisa dies] onward. I remember reading a Youtube comment where the guy said "Give me back my tears!"

In spite of this, I think I would have been more disappointed in a bitter sweet or sad ending. Yea Tomoya would learn to move on and appreciate what he has, but come on - he's just getting over losing his wife and bonding with his daughter, and then she dies too? Life can be cruel, but what's the lesson in that? One reason I liked FMA Brotherhood over the original FMA is because the ending (and I'm not spoiling that beyond saying that it) was happier. Things were resolved and you're left with either a satisfied expression or a smile on your face.

If there's anything Key fucked up in Clannad it's Tomoya and Nagisa having a baby at a young age (and not even sharing beds onscreen - WTF? At least show the stork!). If they took out the supernatural ending, it'd basically be a 2 season ad against teen pregnancy.

It's a similar case with Steins;Gate.
If after all that, okabe wasn't able to save anybody, it would have been a pretty shitty ending
. Actually, it would have basically been like another show, which I can't compare to Steins;Gate without ruining its plot twist.

Shergal

no?

Don't get me wrong,
I enjoy supernatural themes and understand such themes were hinted/present since season one. However, I enjoy supernatural themes executed right and this ending was not unfortunatly. I'll get more into what I believe would've been a better ending in my series review later.

I never played the VN but people who did say that the idea of the ending comes through better in it because you have to do all the routes and
the magical little bullshit balls are given more focus, or something along those lines.
It's still pretty shitty.

In spite of this, I think I would have been more disappointed in a bitter sweet or sad ending. Yea Tomoya would learn to move on and appreciate what he has, but come on - he's just getting over losing his wife and bonding with his daughter, and then she dies too? Life can be cruel, but what's the lesson in that?
They could have
avoided all the overwrought drama with Ushio altogether. I mean, the show's already beyond shameless in its manipulativeness, they really didn't need to keep going with the 'CRY PLS' moments

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
no?

Don't get me wrong,

Well no. I mean you don't see any other VN based shows doing that. KEY has a thing for supernatural.

I respectfually disagree and love this ending. It's powerful. Especially as Tomoya basically acts as a audience surrogate. The lessons of the show are imparted onto him, and by proxy, onto the audience (hopefully). There's no lesson for Tomoya if everyone stays dead. What does he learn? What do we learn? To just move on? Is that as powerful as learning to not take things for granted? I think not.

The ending you want shows up somewhat in the stand-alone Clannad flim, but that's not very good. I can spoil it if you want, or you can look it up.

A realistic ending would have worked for the series better if it was a competely realistic story (more or less ruling out season 1 ). I also agree that they basically threw out the feels from [episode 16 I think when nagisa dies] onward. I remember reading a Youtube comment where the guy said "Give me back my tears!"

In spite of this, I think I would have been more disappointed in a bitter sweet or sad ending. Yea Tomoya would learn to move on and appreciate what he has, but come on - he's just getting over losing his wife and bonding with his daughter, and then she dies too? Life can be cruel, but what's the lesson in that? One reason I liked FMA Brotherhood over the original FMA is because the ending (and I'm not spoiling that beyond saying that it) was happier. Things were resolved and you're left with either a satisfied expression or a smile on your face.

If there's anything Key fucked up in Clannad it's Tomoya and Nagisa having a baby at a young age (and not even sharing beds onscreen - WTF? At least show the stork!). If they took out the supernatural ending, it'd basically be a 2 season ad against teen pregnancy.

If after all that, okabe wasn't able to save anybody, it would have been a pretty shitty ending
. Actually, it would have basically been like another show, which I can't compare to Steins;Gate without ruining its plot twist.

Basically, though I don't think the feels get thrown out. They get embedded in Tomoya (and the audience) alone, but they're not gone. Tomoya remembers. He's confused too, but he basically understands.

(They do kinda share a beds/cuddle in some of Tomoya's Nagisa-related flashbacks though.)

So many black bars.

thisistheCIA.gif

For some reason I feel disoriented in the dark theme. Feels like I'm missing threads and subconsciously skipping over replies I would otherwise read.

Does that make me racist? :(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Revolutionary Girl Utena 21

Oh, also, does anyone know the name of that one string motif that shows up a bunch? The one that plays during the episode previews, the thingy that shows after the commercial break, and in the episodes sometimes? It's all hmmm hm hm hmmm, hm hm hm hmmm hm hm. It's one of the more memorable tunes so far, so I wanted to see if there's a longer version but I have no idea what it's called.
OST 1 Track 1 - Revolutionary Girl Overture

jman2050

AnathemicOne, if it helps any (Clannad spoilers)
I experienced Clannad/AS via VN format where the ending actually makes sense, and I still thought it was a completely shit ending that encapsulated everything wrong with Maeda's writing, which is unfortunate because the story went out of its way to avoid those pitfalls up to that point.

Long story short, it should have either ditched the power of love/family/whatever nonsense and not had anything happen to Ushio, or if you needed the supernatural element the story should have specifically been about saving Ushio from suffering her mother's fate, nothing more. Saving Nagisa shouldn't have even been an option and is antithetical to everything else that happens in this and every other route.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
For some reason I feel disoriented in the dark theme. Feels like I'm missing threads and subconsciously skipping over replies I would otherwise read.

Does that make me racist? :(

I use dark theme but the only thing I dislike about it is it made me realize my standard avatar had white jaggies that I never saw before and don't have the know-how to remove.

no?

Don't get me wrong,

Also, I was thinking and I'll add this:
A "sad" ending wouldn't have fit with Clannad anyways when every other arc has ended happy/positive or definitely not negative. Sure, there was definitely more "permanence" in them, but every arc ended on a good note through trials and hardships. Fuko? Good note (even extended all the way through). Kotomi? Good note, more or less. Nagisa and the Play? Good note. Sunohara and Mei's? Good note. Yukine and the Gang? Good note. Misae and the Cat? Good note. Hell even the alternate reality OVAs end on good notes. No arc in the series is left as "sad". Yeah, you could probably have them both stay dead and twist a moving on non-sad ending, but that would be arguably still out of place compared to every other arc shown in the series.

AnathemicOne, if it helps any (Clannad spoilers)
I experienced Clannad/AS via VN format where the ending actually makes sense, and I still thought it was a completely shit ending that encapsulated everything wrong with Maeda's writing, which is unfortunate because the story went out of its way to avoid those pitfalls up to that point.

Long story short, it should have either ditched the power of love/family/whatever nonsense and not had anything happen to Ushio, or if you needed the supernatural element the story should have specifically been about saving Ushio from suffering her mother's fate, nothing more. Saving Nagisa shouldn't have even been an option and is antithetical to everything else that happens in this and every other route.

The movie basically does this though is poorly executed as a whole.

Hey guys. I really need some technical help and figured I'd try my luck in here. It hasn't bugged me for a while, but watching Hunter x Hunter it has popped up again....I have my PC connected to my TV using an HDMI cable and keep noticing moments where my screen will skip/stutter just a tiny, tiny bit. But it is annoying. My TV only does up to 60HZ. I went into the settings and turned off every "extra" setting like TruMotion junk, Super Resolution, etc. Same thing. I notice it the most during a horizontal or vertical pan. I never had an issue until I got this new TV, but I don't experience it with anything but my PC through the TV. I know it isn't my PC, because it's quite a beast. And here is where it might sound a little crazy---I swear I only see it when watching anime. I watched Hannibal a month ago and didn't notice this stutter once. But when I watched Sword Art Online, Uchoten Kazoku and now Hunter x Hunter I notice the stutter again. Does anyone have a single clue? As an FYI, I'm using VLC Media Player, but I tested on Media Player Classic and have seen the same thing. Any thoughts?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Hey guys. I really need some technical help and figured I'd try my luck in here. It hasn't bugged me for a while, but watching Hunter x Hunter it has popped up again....I have my PC connected to my TV using an HDMI cable and keep noticing moments where my screen will skip/stutter just a tiny, tiny bit. But it is annoying. My TV only does up to 60HZ. I went into the settings and turned off every "extra" setting like TruMotion junk, Super Resolution, etc. Same thing. I notice it the most during a horizontal or vertical pan. I never had an issue until I got this new TV, but I don't experience it with anything but my PC through the TV. I know it isn't my PC, because it's quite a beast. And here is where it might sound a little crazy---I swear I only see it when watching anime. I watched Hannibal a month ago and didn't notice this stutter once. But when I watched Sword Art Online, Uchoten Kazoku and now Hunter x Hunter I notice the stutter again. Does anyone have a single clue? As an FYI, I'm using VLC Media Player, but I tested on Media Player Classic and have seen the same thing. Any thoughts?

Have you tried going through a different video cable like VGA to see if maybe it's the HDMI doing something wonky?

wonzo

Banned
If your TV supports 24hz then you can force that in the computers driver output settings. That should fix the jitter.

Otherwise you can install CCCP, get madVR & turn on smooth motion which'll get rid off the choppy panning shots without sacrificing detail.

e: actually if the tv supports proper 120hz then you can just force the output refresh rate to that. problem solved

Also, I was thinking and I'll add this:
A "sad" ending wouldn't have fit with Clannad anyways when every other arc has ended happy/positive or definitely not negative. Sure, there was definitely more "permanence" in them, but every arc ended on a good note through trials and hardships. Fuko? Good note (even extended all the way through). Kotomi? Good note, more or less. Nagisa and the Play? Good note. Sunohara and Mei's? Good note. Yukine and the Gang? Good note. Misae and the Cat? Good note. Hell even the alternate reality OVAs end on good notes. No arc in the series is left as "sad". Yeah, you could probably have them both stay dead and twist a moving on non-sad ending, but that would be arguably still out of place compared to every other arc shown in the series.

When you put it like that,
a sad ending would have actually worked. Tomoya helps everyone else get a happy ending, but he himself doesn't get the happy ending. The lesson could be about balance in life and in a way turn it around to him being the 'bearer of their misfortune'. He absorbed the bad parts of their lives; he creates happiness around him, but he himself is forced to live in sadness or something

Dunno,

Articalys

Early data from the sales list says that the first volume of Infinite Stratos 2, with just the extended first episode, sold about 23,500 BD+DVD to kick off the Fall Season charts. Compare to 29,368 v1w1 for the first season.

Elsewhere, for Summer, Tamayura ~More Aggressive~ clocks in at about a respectable 4,500 BD+DVD. TWGOK S3, of course, bombs out below the approx. 2500/500 BD/DVD threshold, so we'll need to wait for Thursday numbers to see how poorly it fared.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Is there an ending where you seduce Touga and then repeatedly kick him before leaving Ohtori forever? Because I would pay good money for that.
It takes the perspective of a female transfer student who comes to Ohtori during the middle of everything. Not sure on the Touga paths, but there's one where you steal Anthy then make out with her.

Zetsubou Sensei just had an episode titled "Do Androids Dream of Electric Wives" and I lold way too hard while thinking of "Do Otakus dream of animated Waifus"

Man I'm glad the third season is more like season 1. Season 2, while hilarious, was a bit TOO abstract. I think once I finish this season and the OVA's I'll give my review on the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom