• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday we got Infinite Stratos and some J Drama in the UK. So basically, the choice is Galilei Donna or Galilei Donna. Luckily I did want to check that out.

sonicmj1

Kyoukai no Kanata 1

Eh.

Pretty much every attempt at being self-referential or clever in the writing falls flat. In the opening scene in particular the narration creates an awful first impression, despite Kyoani's signature attention to detail and strong directing. Without Mirai's clumsy-moe, there's not a lot to like in any of the characters. It feels like bad Bakemonogatari, and I don't even like that show.

When Yonafunu was talking about the lack of context, I was initially drawing parallels in my head with Uchouten Kazoku, but they're very different kinds of things. Uchouten may have been very deliberate in laying out the backstory of its characters, but it was extremely upfront about its world. For this show, you're kind of tossed right into everything. It's not really unclear, but I don't know why I should care about any of this Spirit Warrior junk. The source seems to want to be like Bake, but that show also took its time setting up its supernatural elements, and the stakes were always tied to the characters. The youmu are pretty meaningless here.

ibeN4tetlTDZWD.jpg
e938957l.jpg

I haven't seen a Mexican restaurant in my entire time in Japan, but this is a pretty inspired parody. The place they visit is called Aizeriya, which is a take on a middle-of-the-road Italian chain called Saizeriya. It's a cute move.

I like the idea of Cleaners that mop up after messy supernatural fights and keep things normal, though. Maybe the show should be about them instead.

I feel kind of bad writing this, because I'm steamrolling through all the strong technical skill on display here. The action is damn good, and there's some subtle character animation that goes a long way to help the limp writing. But I can't imagine any way for this show to get past its source, which seems to have nothing interesting to say. I can't see myself sticking around.

Naruto Shippuden Episode 333 – The Risks of the Reanimation Jutsu
tumblr_mu3bt9QFjK1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Song for the new OP (no.14) Size of Moon from Nogizaka46, sounds nice and has good coloring direction (the red and black and how they do it at the end), while the ED has a nice feel to it but has that amazing Sasuke focus and image. (Black Night Town - Akihisa Kondō).

Good episode for some action
Tsunade being impaled by the stone looked way more shocking here than in the manga
while the Kabuto, Sasuke, Itachi stuff served as a nice intro for next week.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
"Spirit World Warrior" sounds like the title to some kind of B-tier NES sidescroller. It's probably less cheesy-sounding in Japanese.

Sasami san 4

Unfortunately I had no idea what this episode was even, idols turning into fathers, rocket mecha girls, hands in chests, etc. Its too high level.

Problem Children are Coming from Another World, aren't they? 7 - 8

This Black Geass Roll arc of Hamlin is not that good, it lacks the energy of the past and isnt that compelling as focusing on a small guild of no names trying to make a name for themselves in the world. Oh well maybe the end result will deliver, but with two episodes left, I dont think it will.

Super Seisyun Brothers 3
tumblr_mu2ylkybIo1qm3v42o1_500.png

Hopefully Mao has eyes for Chika, would be so wonderful.

Theonik

Yami to Boushi Something Something 1

Excuse me, this isn't the incest yuri show I ordered! It started off like that but after that occurred Also there's that witch with the sexy thighs and the big hat.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND.
You and everyone else that watched Yamihat.

Have I told you my name is Quille? Hi! My name is Quille!

I'm sorry :(

Victory Gundam 31

WHEELS. IN SPACE.
AN ENTIRE FLEET OF MOTORCYCLES. IN. SPACE.
WHEELS. ON A GIANT SPACESHIP.

You know what? PUT WHEELS ON EVERYTHING. Wheels on Flanders, Wheels on Shakti, wheels on Haro, wheels on ice cream, wheels on Marbet, wheels on sherbet wheels on katejina is a whore wheels on wheels on meals on wheels on Gundams on boats on submarines on goats on foxes in boxes in houses with mouses on fleece with geese in Greece and grease and wheels on bears on stairs.

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELS.

Huh. Thanks for this rant, you've reminded me of something I noticed a while ago but didn't bother to bring up here. But how come in Gurren Lagann
there's not a single wheel in sight? For a show that has the evolution of mankind as a core theme, why is the wheel, an amazing invention for humankind, nowhere to be found in that anime? I'm not complaining, it just strikes to me as weird, looking back on it now. There's no wheels. Just legs. Is that supposed to be some kind of subtle exercise message? Or maybe Gainax watched Victory Gundam and said: "Look at this filth! None of those blasphemous things belong in our anime! NO WHEELS ALLOWED."

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 108

What an episode.

Both Merkatz and Schenkopf are now gone. Exactly one year after Yang Wenli's unfortunate demise.

The sick Reinhard dons his military uniform for what I presume is the last time he ever can to await and greet Julian in the way he deserves. Having the Kaiser be in pajamas for this is something neither man could stand.

As Julian finally meets Reinhard after fighting his way through the Royal Guard he collapses and Reinhard orders his own doctors to aid him.

Hopefully Julian will be functional again before Reinhard inevitably falls to his illness.

Huh. Thanks for this rant, you've reminded me of something I noticed a while ago but didn't bother to bring up here. But how come in Gurren Lagann
there's not a single wheel in sight? For a show that has the evolution of mankind as a core theme, why is the wheel, an amazing invention for humankind, nowhere to be found in that anime? I'm not complaining, it just strikes to me as weird, looking back on it now. There's no wheels. Just legs. Is that supposed to be some kind of subtle exercise message? Or maybe Gainax watched Victory Gundam and said: "Look at this filth! None of those blasphemous things belong in our anime! NO WHEELS ALLOWED."

Spirals are the wheels.

Theonik

Spirals > wheels.

Beyond the Boundary Episode 1 – Carmine

The past and their designations as being of spiritual origin makes the plot compelling in a few ways as well as the various spirits. Her power of using blood isnt all that special though (quite sure weve seen it in other animated works) and I think it would have been better if instead of a blade it was something else. I think what would ultimately make it good is if we get to see Akihito get some type of ability to fight as well if this anime is going in that route.

Was much impressed with Akihito design as that made me check it out and I was thoroughly pleased with him the whole way through. Excellent voice, excellent personality, excellent design. Verily, good in every way.
tumblr_mu2gv59jft1r76d82o1_500.gif

Beyond the Boundary Episode 1 – Carmine

The past and their designations as being of spiritual origin makes the plot compelling in a few ways as well as the various spirits. Her power of using blood isnt all that special though (quite sure weve seen it in other animated works) and I think it would have been better if instead of a blade it was something else. I think what would ultimately make it good is if we get to see Akihito get some type of ability to fight as well if this anime is going in that route.

Was much impressed with Akihito design as that made me check it out and I was thoroughly pleased with him the whole way through. Excellent voice, excellent personality, excellent design. Verily, good in every way.
tumblr_mu2gv59jft1r76d82o1_500.gif

phablets in my anime? i'd gasp too. :(

ku-xlarge.jpg

magi getting the censors in taiwan.

Narag

Never noticed that. Maybe there was just no need with people adopting the tech they took over.

Jarmel

Banned
"Spirit World Warrior" sounds like the title to some kind of B-tier NES sidescroller. It's probably less cheesy-sounding in Japanese.

The terminology in the LN is worse. They keep using stuff like xenomorphs which just make me think of Alien.

Coppelion 01

It had a really nice opening shot.
Beyond that, it was kind of bad. I think the washed out colours add a real sense of "This is a radioactive wasteland" to the setting, I just can't get the past the completely stupid premise. Sending teenage girls into a radioactive zone? Fine. Only giving them one gun? Kind of silly. Making them wear school uniforms and carry school bags? SO STUPID.
On top of that it was kind of dull. None of the characters have shown any interesting traits yet, and there's no real sense of plot or mystery that makes me want to keep watching.

Because in the end, the show is "cute girls doing stuff in radioctive future Japan". They try to explain they send the girls and not soldiers or scientists because they are immune to radiation and whatnot, but at the end of the day, it's just a bad excuse, and one originated after the fact the author decided to want to draw school girls in desolated landscapes.

sonicmj1

"Spirit World Warriors" is pretty much the blandest possible straight-dictionary transcription of the original Japanese, "異界士". "異界” refers to the supernatural, everything outside of the realm that people can experience, and "士” is for warrior or fighter. It's not hard to think of a better term in English. You could call them "Ghost Hunters", for example.

Yu-Yu Hakusho Episodes 1 - 49:

HOLY SHIT THIS SHOW'S AMAZING AND THE CHARACTERS ARE COOL AND THE DEMONS ARE VARIED AND THE POWERS ARE RAD AND THE REFERENCES TO HUMAN EMOTIONS AND ACTIONS THROUGH FIGHTING STYLES AND KUWABARA AND THIS SHOW IS AMAZING.

3230763-2669304940-13521.jpg

YOU SEE THIS MAN?

HE MAKES MY DICK ROCK HARD.

He gives me a lean feel looking at that, I don't know how I feel looking at this picture but... it feels different than what I remember.

You should check out Hunter x Hunter if you haven't already.

Do you really want him to suffer what's at the end of the road?

Have I told you my name is Quille? Hi! My name is Quille!

*cringe*

e_i

Today's Kill la Kill day, right?

I don't think it's airing on CR today. Probably next week Thursday. They usually put up a episode 1 countdown clock...but there's nothing today. Golden Time has a countdown clock to the first episode.

Syrinx

I don't think it's airing on CR today. Probably next week Thursday. They usually put up a episode 1 countdown clock...but there's nothing today. Golden Time has a countdown clock to the first episode.

Yeah I noticed that it wasn't there on the side and I thought it was strange but I didn't make too much of it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sometimes they just don't put up a countdown if the release time is going to be nebulous.

Kansoku

Kyoukai no Kanata - 1
Pretty nice episode. The only thing I didn't like was that the characters are not that interesting right now, and that I have no idea of whats happening. The animation, especially on the fights are pretty awesome.

Coppelion 1

Dat eye searing GoHands filter. Dat insufferable KanaHana character. Aside from very pretty backgrounds and the premise there wasn't much in this episode to grab me.

Nagi no Asukara 01

It's a anime from PA Wroks
It's write by Mari Okada
And it give me 100% what i "expected" from Okada and PA

Yeah,gonna keep watch it lol

CorvoSol

I could not disagree more. I appreciate the slow walking scenes because nothing else would do that, that I've seen.

I just don't think that scene needed to last almost half the entire episode. I feel the point was made much sooner than that and that there was nothing to be gained from dragging it out that long.

Probably because, as MGS3 point out, if your mech can have legs, it doesn't really need wheels.

cnet128

Banned
Are these really short episodes?

Yeah, the second ONA series of Kyousougiga is made up of five shorts. They're each about ten minutes, give or take.

That's a lot of sakuga.

The Flowers of Evil 8

8 minutes in.

I think you have made your point clear. Can we drag this fucking walking to the slow music scene out ANY longer? This is Evangelion telephone pole boring.

That scene was wonderful. Felt like the perfect followup to the crazy cathartic release at the end of the previous episode. Just bathing in the atmosphere (afterglow?) and giving us time to reflect on what had just happened and how it changed everything.

...Plus of course it set up for ending the episode on that cliffhanger, so yeah.

Melty isnt really anime

ibowunL0Yyj0D1.png

(how are there two different anime girls with this name?)

cajunator

Banned

BluWacky

Nagi no Asukara 01

It's a anime from PA Wroks
It's write by Mari Okada
And it give me 100% what i "expected" from Okada and PA

Yeah,gonna keep watch it lol

What do you mean by that, exactly? I suppose the slightly melodramatic schoolkid drama is a staple of Mari Okada's original work, but then she also wrote Fujiko, which is completely different. And how is it what you'd expect from PA Works? The show looks nothing like Uchouten Kazoku, their most recent show.

I think I know what you mean - but it's hard to tell from what you've said.

Tenumi

Banned
Kyoukai no Kanata: 01

Well... can't say I completely understood everything going on, but it was at least a fun watch. Interest level is there to continue watching indefinitely.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What do you mean by that, exactly? I suppose the slightly melodramatic schoolkid drama is a staple of Mari Okada's original work, but then she also wrote Fujiko, which is completely different. And how is it what you'd expect from PA Works? The show looks nothing like Uchouten Kazoku, their most recent show.

Knowing nothing about the show, I assume it is like HanaIro. lol

cajunator

Banned

<3

Yeah, the second ONA series of Kyousougiga is made up of five shorts. They're each about ten minutes, give or take.

That's a lot of sakuga.

That scene was wonderful. Felt like the perfect followup to the crazy cathartic release at the end of the previous episode. Just bathing in the atmosphere (afterglow?) and giving us time to reflect on what had just happened and how it changed everything.

...Plus of course it set up for ending the episode on that cliffhanger, so yeah.

ikNnVSJm0Covl.jpg

(how are there two different anime girls with this name?)

Yes, Melty is from Shining Hearts and was in the ricks Bread anime a bit. I just ordered the normal version because holy shit it went out of stock the last couple hours in a few places already. But I got one :D

That Melty was cute too. Not best girl though.

Melodramatic and NTR

CorvoSol

My problem isn't with the purpose of the scene, just its length. It went on too long. The point was made while they were still on the bridge, did I need four minutes of them going down the next street as well?

Pokemon The Origin part 1

Fuck you, Pikachu.
Charmander doesn't need to cheat to win against Onix.
Also
OH MY GOD THAT BITE ATTACK WHAT THE HELL. The .gifs don't let you HEAR that. And Charmander's cry of agony is definitely what makes that memorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom