• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Under what definition of best? It's a horrible show. Character deaths are so predictable that the point of "this is war and people can die" is completely rubbed out because the title card might as well say "This person is going to die today." Katejina's character is completely and entirely without motivation or explanation. She just goes from "girl Uso knows" to "Nazi who is fucking Cronicle." Cronicle is the worst Char in the history of the franchise, bar none. The bad guys' master plan? PUT WHEELS. ON SPACE SHIPS.

What possible part of this is good? When suddenly the Zanscare Queen has magical healing powers? When Shakti does things only for the sake of creating drama? When magical trucks appear for that same sake and are discarded immediately thereafter?

The only good thing about Victory has been its music and its action scenes, which are sort of hard to take seriously with stuff like disappearing trucks and the goofy V2 corefighter.

Victory Gundam is UC Gundam's worst traits rolled into a single show.

We are so far apart on this that it's clear an argument about is going to do nothing but make us both stupidly angry. All I say is, I disagree with a majority of your points and especially the part about Chronicle sucking. Chronicle is great.

CorvoSol

The Flowers of Evil 8

9 minutes of this episode were absolutely worthless, boring, and useless. The first three were just a recap of last episode and the next six was just walking, which could've been shown in 2 minutes, if I'm being generous.

The rest of the episode was Kasuga being a little bitch about getting caught, and Fate flipping him the cosmic owl.

The last minute of the episode, though, was worth every second of it, because Saeki Nanako calls him out on all his bullshit because he left the most obvious clue in the world. Girl isn't just pretty and nice, she's sharp as a tack, too.

Kyokai no Kanata 1

Since I'm too dumb to notice many flaws until they're pointed out, I didn't read any impressions before watching this. Because of that, I thought it was pretty good. Nice animation, solid choreography, passable characters, and the trademark kyo ani art style. It's nice to see them finally doing a legit supernatural ability action show that isn't based around delusions.

I don't really care about some otherworldy family conflict, but the rest of the premise seems interesting enough.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toradora 18 (rewatch)

"Minori Emo Moments" seems like a fitting alternate title for this episode. Also, Ami once again shows that she's the only one of the group who really sees what's going on. But really, aside from Minori being emo and another instance of "talking about our current complicated situation using metaphors so we don't actually have to talk about it" that Toradora seems to like to do, not a lot happened in this episode. It's mostly setup for the next episode, where shit starts to go down.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Hyouka 11

Deeper. Go deeper. Nafe as Irisu is even more apt now.

Hyouka 11.5

Yeah, it's been bothering me for a while now, but another problem with catchphrases is that this motivates a corresponding catchphrase in English, but the situations they apply to don't always match. "Ki ni narimasu" is more "This concerns me" or yet another expression in a lot of these uses, but is shoehorned into a different meaning.

The Flowers of Evil 8

9 minutes of this episode were absolutely worthless, boring, and useless. The first three were just a recap of last episode and the next six was just walking, which could've been shown in 2 minutes, if I'm being generous.

The rest of the episode was Kasuga being a little bitch about getting caught, and Fate flipping him the cosmic owl.

The last minute of the episode, though, was worth every second of it, because Saeki Nanako calls him out on all his bullshit because he left the most obvious clue in the world. Girl isn't just pretty and nice, she's sharp as a tack, too.

I could not disagree more. I appreciate the slow walking scenes because nothing else would do that, that I've seen.

Articalys

Hyouka 11

Hyouka 11.5

Yeah, it's been bothering me for a while now, but another problem with catchphrases is that this motivates a corresponding catchphrase in English, but the situations they apply to don't always match. "Ki ni narimasu" is more "This concerns me" or yet another expression in a lot of these uses, but is shoehorned into a different meaning.
Not sure if it'll make you feel any better or add to your complaint, but official Hyouka merchandise seems to use "I can't stop thinking about it" as the translation.

http://www.cospa.com/detail/id/00000045732
http://www.cospa.com/detail/id/00000045734

Branduil

Hyouka 11

Hyouka 11.5

It can't be helped.

The walk in Flowers of Evil 8 is one of my favorite moments in the show. With music like that, it could have lasted the whole episode and I wouldn't have minded. Mmmm.

jgminto

Is it supposed to mean anything, though? Is it a sign she's too poor to afford a better-fitting pair, or symbolic of her own lack of stability? Or is it just to excite megane fetishists?

Well the main dude literally has a boner for her glasses wearing.

Kyoukai no Kanata 01

That was not so bad. Had all the normal KyoAni so pretty to look at with an extra helping of cherry blossoms.

Kinda surprised that there was so much world setting introduction going on and instead had us slowly discover what the hell is going on. This looks like finally the show to get some KyoAni action. Hopefully that'll be decent enough before whatever DRAMA takes over.

cajunator

Banned
Yup, Pink/Black just looks too good. It's got more impact, Christmas one looks plain to me.

I pretty much agree. the only reason to get the Christmas one is it will be rare and hard to find. But I dont really love it. The original Melty is so precious.
Remember her in the show Ricks Bread?

Shergal

Hyouka 11

Hyouka 11.5

You're about to start the best arc of anime in recent years, and I'm going to enjoy it vicariously all over again!

Hattori

Banned
I pretty much agree. the only reason to get the Christmas one is it will be rare and hard to find. But I dont really love it. The original Melty is so precious.
Remember her in the show Ricks Bread?

Yeah kind of, I didn't really care much about that show other than the Tony Taka character designs.

Jarmel

Banned
So I decided to read more of the Kyoukai no Kanata novel. I only could read through like half of chapter 2, which is all that has been translated. It's pretty fucking awful at times, quite frankly. The action scenes should be godly and some of the supernatural stuff should be surprisingly good. That said, the dialogue is terribad and one of the characters is giving me Guilty Crown vibes, hopefully it gets changed in the anime(you'll know instantly who I'm referring to when you see them). That said, there is some complexity to the core 4 although there isn't much of it so far(to be fair I'm not even all the way through chapter 2).

One thing I got from the LN compared to the anime is that in the LN, Mirai is definitely capable. She's pretty sharp and she doesn't have qualms killing. They really fucked Mirai up in the adaptation. Maybe they want to develop her character in the show proper. I do sorta understand why they diverted from the LN as it gives a stronger link between Mirai and Akihito in the anime compared to the novel, however the way they did it is detrimental to Mirai's character.
General structure spoiler:
In the LN, she's absent a good chunk of the first chapter and it's more about Akihito finding stuff out on his own. He shouldn't have this vested of an interest in Mirai in the LN but he does. The way they did it in the anime gives a stronger relationship,as Akihito is trying to help Mirai develop, but it paints Mirai as weak in order to do so.
I'm also praying that they change some of the conversations between the older brother and Akihito. Shit will get old very fast.

In short I'm hoping the slice of life stuff gets changed from the novel as it's dogshit and that there are some minor tweaks to the supernatural. They already did it in the first episode with one of the characters but I'm more worried about the damage to Mirai and whether that's going to become a long standing problem. I'm also not sure how much gore they're going to put in as it's KyoAni and they've already been somewhat squeamish about it. In the prologue, Akihito is vomiting blood when stabbed yet in the anime, nothing.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm going to assume the main reason they messed with Mirai is for having a super moe character.

While I'm sure that's partly it, I also kinda understand why they did it. Her being the clumsy and shy girl gives Akihito a better reason as to why he's protecting/interested in her. Since she's somewhat incompetent, Akihito can help her develop and it also gives a stronger tie between the two compared to if she's this ice queen(although she really isn't that much of one). It gives a better motivation for the main lead.

While I'm sure that's partly it, I also kinda understand why they did it. Her being the clumsy and shy girl gives Akihito a better reason as to why he's protecting/interested in her. Since she's somewhat incompetent, Akihito can help her develop and it also gives a stronger tie between the two compared to if she's this ice queen(although she really isn't that much of one). It gives a better motivation for the main lead.

I seem to recall that "moe" triggered a reaction that "makes you want to protect something", but that was like a few years ago. Sounds like it rolls right into the moe category.

Although, that being said, I'm generally aware of when Kyoani alters something in regards to development.

cajunator

Banned
Spice and Wolf II 2

Holo drinking continues to lead to nothing but greatness. Anyhoo, goddamn Lawrence, what the hell? Why would you say something like that? "Err, I can just take you to that place and you can get back to your home by yourself right? Hurr". Holo's right, you are fucking dumb. And she's being nice with that if that was anything to go by. Goddamn, she actually looked hurt by that.

Good to get to see and hear the actual OP this time. Don't like it quite as much as the first, but still good.

Drunk Holo is best Holo

Looks rather sinister, don't you think?

Looks cute to me.
Well ok most things look cute to me.

Is it supposed to mean anything, though? Is it a sign she's too poor to afford a better-fitting pair, or symbolic of her own lack of stability? Or is it just to excite megane fetishists?

Sometimes people just wear glasses.
In this case its pandering. It panders so good!

Here's a list of summer anime that had the most realtime tweets. As in, the tweets talking about the show while its being aired. Note that alot of this has to do with timeslots and national coverage as well (Free airs 26:45 on Wednesdays for example)

Average whole series
01 Free! 807
02 Kin-iro Mosaic 648
03 Attack on Titan 519
04 Fantasista Dolls 515
05 Watamote 508
06 Railgun S 502
07 Danganropa The Animation 490
08 RKB! SS 451
09 BROTHERS CONFLICT 393
10 Monogatari 2nd Season 392

wow Fantasista was that popular?

Coppelion 1
The incredibly irritating Hanazawa character makes the filter seem pleasant in comparison. Hopefully she gets eaten by a wolf.

DOES NOT COMPUTE

all these shows look the same to me now.

They do, but what intrigues me here is the way all the pillars are misaligned and have different bases. I wonder why.

Yu-Yu Hakusho Episodes 1 - 49:

HOLY SHIT THIS SHOW'S AMAZING AND THE CHARACTERS ARE COOL AND THE DEMONS ARE VARIED AND THE POWERS ARE RAD AND THE REFERENCES TO HUMAN EMOTIONS AND ACTIONS THROUGH FIGHTING STYLES AND KUWABARA AND THIS SHOW IS AMAZING.

3230763-2669304940-13521.jpg

YOU SEE THIS MAN?

HE MAKES MY DICK ROCK HARD.

cajunator

Banned
Are Hentai Wednesdays still a thing? Was it ever a thing? Probably not, never mind me.

My anime club had hentai fridays. And that was off campus of course lol.

Hyouka 11

Hyouka 11.5

They just wanted a cute catchphrase probably.

Not sure if it'll make you feel any better or add to your complaint, but official Hyouka merchandise seems to use "I can't stop thinking about it" as the translation.

http://www.cospa.com/detail/id/00000045732
http://www.cospa.com/detail/id/00000045734

Chitanda is so cute.
Chitanda is so fucking scary.

Eh, I think black and pink is overdone.

Maybe so but my collection is super colorful so theres not an abundance of this color combination.

Hattori

Banned
Yu-Yu Hakusho Episodes 1 - 49:

HOLY SHIT THIS SHOW'S AMAZING AND THE CHARACTERS ARE COOL AND THE DEMONS ARE VARIED AND THE POWERS ARE RAD AND THE REFERENCES TO HUMAN EMOTIONS AND ACTIONS THROUGH FIGHTING STYLES AND KUWABARA AND THIS SHOW IS AMAZING.

3230763-2669304940-13521.jpg

YOU SEE THIS MAN?

HE MAKES MY DICK ROCK HARD.

You should check out Hunter x Hunter if you haven't already.

Paul: I think you shorted your caps lock there. Be sure to wipe up.

>.<

Seriously, though. It is my second favorite anime of all time now. I can't believe I've never paid it any attention. How come it's not mentioned much? I mean, it appears to have a following still if Yusuke is in the new Jump game.

zeroshiki

Misaki is hardly a character. She shows up, like, twice total in the entire show. She's like Hatsune Miku. People like her for the character design more than any actual events in the source.

cajunator

Banned
Going on about how cute this or that character is in Hyouka is really selling the show short.

The show appeals to lots of people for different reasons. I was initially drawn to the promise of fun mysteries but the fun part was missing. Instead the show got too involved in its own almost pretentious ideas to realize it should have been having fun. Luckily they figured this out by the festival arc and stopped trying to be a literature piece.

Branduil

Misaki is hardly a character. She shows up, like, twice total in the entire show. She's like Hatsune Miku. People like her for the character design more than any actual events in the source.

To be her fair two of her three or so appearances are pretty amusing. She's obviously not one of the characters the show explores in any depth, but she's still better than, say, Chitanda's boring friend who never does anything.

It's because she sits in stark contrast with the incredibly insipid main cast.

Branduil

The show appeals to lots of people for different reasons. I was initially drawn to the promise of fun mysteries but the fun part was missing. Instead the show got too involved in its own almost pretentious ideas to realize it should have been having fun. Luckily they figured this out by the festival arc and stopped trying to be a literature piece.

It's because she sits in stark contrast with the incredibly insipid main cast.

ib02Jd8ejGGBV2.gif

zeroshiki

To be her fair two of her three or so appearances are pretty amusing. She's obviously not one of the characters the show explores in any depth, but she's still better than, say, Chitanda's boring friend who never does anything.

In terms of throwaway characters, I'm partial to the host dude who did all those stupid things during the cooking contest. (I can't seem to find a screenshot though)

Hattori

Banned
>.<

Seriously, though. It is my second favorite anime of all time now. I can't believe I've never paid it any attention. How come it's not mentioned much? I mean, it appears to have a following still if Yusuke is in the new Jump game.

It's pretty old, it first ran in the early 90's, so it doesn't have as much clout as Naruto/One Piece/Bleach/etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom