• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, who is Misaki again?

79pIm.gif

Jintor

So I use hummingbirds for animuz and goodreads for parchment stuck between cardboard but what can I use to collate videogams

cajunator

Banned
Misaki is hardly a character. She shows up, like, twice total in the entire show. She's like Hatsune Miku. People like her for the character design more than any actual events in the source.

She still stood out to me.

It's because she sits in stark contrast with the incredibly insipid main cast.

Pretty much yeah. She was levity in a show that up till then was sorely in need of some.

Misaki isn't one of my favs, but I stick up for the show waifus of my nakama.

<3

Her mannerisms, her little cute phrases, her silly awesome hair, and her seemingly non-serious attitude are the things I like about misaki,. shes really fun and she should have been in it more.

Yonafunu

Alright, this I don't get. There weren't any problems context-wise.

Sorry for the late reply, still have to get used to the pace of the thread.
I feel like the only context given in the episode was through the dialogue between the characters, and nothing else. Normally I don't mind when a series leave something out to be discovered in a later episode, but like I said, since this is a fantasy series in a contemporary setting, I think creating context as to what's going on exactly and how this world works is extra important. Or else it just becomes confusing and conflicting elements (like fighting monsters in classrooms without anyone panicking, for example) start to feel out of place, while especially those should be part of the appeal.

Maybe I'm not using "context" right...

People hating on Victory Gundam in this thread? Man, I don't even know what to think. Victory is amazing.
Victory is irredeemably bad. I'm pretty sure the only reason one might like it is because of nostalgia in which case they should never rewatch it lest it will ruin everything

And Cronicle is the worst Char easily. He fails at everything, acts all high and mighty and has a stupid annoying voice to go along with his overall terribleness. Oh and his mask is the worst. Zanscare has money to waste on the stupidest Mobile Armor designs in the whole franchise but Cronicle can't even get a mask that doesn't look like some toilet paper got stuck on his face. Fucking Harry Ord looks like a menacing badass compared to Cronicle.

I won't even mention the rest of the cast because they all suck. Even Marbet, she was a fluke.

Shergal

Sorry for the late reply, still have to get used to the pace of the thread.
I feel like the only context given in the episode was through the dialogue between the characters, and nothing else. Normally I don't mind when a series leave something out to be discovered in a later episode, but like I said, since this is a fantasy series in a contemporary setting, I think creating context as to what's going on exactly and how this world works is extra important. Or else it just becomes confusing and conflicting elements (like fighting monsters in classrooms without anyone panicking, for example) start to feel out of place, while especially those should be part of the appeal.

Maybe I'm not using "context" right...

I think one of the things KnK did well was exactly the "monster out in the open" thing. At the very least it didn't push hard with exposition on that aspect, and let the image speak for itself. It was enough of a visual cue so that anyone would get it, without disrupting the flow of the scene.

The dialogue was certainly overcharged with exposition, that's true. I don't think they need to explain every little detail about the setting in the first episode either, and I didn't find anything confusing.

cajunator

Banned
I didn't realize how absolutely fucking stupid her hair is till now. Three fucking buns, side tails, and then braids only on one side as well.

You call it stupid, I call it absolutely adorable.
Its so utterly ridiculous you can only imagine the personality of the character who came up with it.

hat_hair

Kyoukai no Kanata 01
That was some really nice animation. Beyond that, the story is indeed that of a trashy light novel series. A clumsy girl with mysterious powers and a tragic past, a boy with a unique special power and an intense tsukkomi routine (and probably also a tragic past) and a (probably) tsundere childhood friend.
There’s almost nothing unique here, although I do like it when main characters aren’t shy about their fetishes.
I’ll continue watching, but mostly because I expect sweet fight scenes and adorable Kyoani antics.

Coppelion 01

It had a really nice opening shot.
Beyond that, it was kind of bad. I think the washed out colours add a real sense of "This is a radioactive wasteland" to the setting, I just can't get the past the completely stupid premise. Sending teenage girls into a radioactive zone? Fine. Only giving them one gun? Kind of silly. Making them wear school uniforms and carry school bags? SO STUPID.
On top of that it was kind of dull. None of the characters have shown any interesting traits yet, and there's no real sense of plot or mystery that makes me want to keep watching.

Man, the dialogue in the KnK novel is literary aids. Talk about having a mountain to climb. The anime is more enjoyable than what I read, but short of re-writing the entire thing I don't know what KyoAni could do with this. The prologue speech contains a line to the effect of "this kind of stuff could only happen to me." Really? What a surprise, I guess that's why you're the protagonist then. That's only the beginning. Based on people's opinions of LN writing, this is apparently nothing new, but since KnK is only the second one I've read(after Kizumonogatari) it's still new to me. Anyway, KyoAni need to quit starting with material that needs fixing.

At least they're pretty good at doing a lot with a little, as the current conversations in this thread are showing. Character design, physical direction and animation obviously carry more weight with some than others. I would include myself in that segment up to a point. I enjoyed KnK enough to continue watching at the very least. I'm a bit more tolerant of Mirai's clumsiness so far as well, but that might be because one of my best friends is similar in that she manages to be incredibly professional in her work environment and a complete spaz outside of it. It's confusing, but I've always put it down to performing under pressure. That doesn't mean it won't feel overemphasised or overplayed as the series continues though.

Still, that shit's old news. It's almost Kill La Kill time.

Yonafunu

I think one of the things KnK did well was exactly the "monster out in the open" thing. At the very least it didn't push hard with exposition on that aspect, and let the image speak for itself. It was enough of a visual cue so that anyone would get it, without disrupting the flow of the scene.

The dialogue was certainly overcharged with exposition, that's true. I don't think they need to explain every little detail about the setting in the first episode either, and I didn't find anything confusing.

I didn't have a problem with the way the monsters were presented and appeared, I actually liked that. I agree, the nature of the monsters and everything regarding that doesn't need exposition like that.
What I had a problem with was the way this world works not being explained enough. We know there are monsters, we know there are people that fight them, we know they have powers, etc. But they're discussing everything at school, so it seems like all of that is out in the open, everybody knows about it. That's never confirmed or played at though, so we simply don't know. We see the monster run away after the teacher (?) kicks it out of the window, and it runs past some girls, but they don't react.
Without enough context regarding how this world works, it becomes hard to gel together the two elements of the series (contemporary high-school setting and supernatural action). If everybody knows about the monsters, it could combine the two elements in an interesting manner, with weird stuff happening on school grounds, but students fighting back etc. If not, the highschool element could be used for a lighter tone, character exposition etc. As it is right now, we get neither. We get nothing. The school is just another battlefield where fights happen, and nothing else. There is no reason for this to take place at a high school beside trying to force this into a high-school series.

Jarmel

Banned
Could be 12 episodes like Chuu2, with bonus OVA and webisodes on the final volume. Same distributor (Pony Canyon).

I looked this up and wow at these fucks. Charged full price too.

However KnK doesn't have any of the specials that Chuu did. They could do 2 OVAs I guess.

Jarmel

Banned
The school is just another battlefield where fights happen, and nothing else. There is no reason for this to take place at a high school beside trying to force this into a high-school series.

Well it seems like there are fights everywhere so it isn't just limited to the school. The OP shows a fight in the forest. So the high school isn't being treated special in the manner that there is a reason why they fight there, rather the reasoning is "Why not?". The show focuses on high schoolers so naturally some of the action would occur there.

As to why it focuses on high schoolers, well I think we all know the answer to that.

We see the monster run away after the teacher (?) kicks it out of the window, and it runs past some girls, but they don't react.

I actually thought this was a really good visual cue that expressed what it needed to without dialogue. There is obviously some reason why the high schoolers couldn't see the monster, I chalked it up to a barrier.

wonzo

Banned
Diabolik Lovers 1-3

diaboliklovers1.jpg

Hmm, the only thing that really stood out for me in this was just how hilarious out of left field the night school was after what happened in episode one. I don't know if I'll bother with any more of this as the way it tries to force in as many ~hot vampire bishies~ into every single scene is really kinda aggravating in just how pointless it gets.

Yonafunu

Well it seems like there are fights everywhere so it isn't just limited to the school. The OP shows a fight in the forest. So the high school isn't being treated special in the manner that there is a reason why they fight there, rather the reasoning is "Why not?". The show focuses on high schoolers so naturally some of the action would occur there.

As to why it focuses on high schoolers, well I think we all know the answer to that.

I actually thought this was a really good visual cue that expressed what it needed to without dialogue. There is obviously some reason why the high schoolers couldn't see the monster, I chalked it up to a barrier.

I agree to a degree, there's also the fact that it's just one episode.
The thing that's going to make the difference for me is if this is a high-school anime, or just an anime focusing on high schoolers, which will determine how big of a deal the high school setting will be. Now that you mention it, the latter seems more likely, at which point the high school does become 'just another' battlefield. I like your reasoning of "Why not?", though.

Diabolik Lovers 1-3

I don't know if I'll bother with any more of this as the way it tries to force in as many ~hot vampire bishies~ into every single scene is really kinda aggravating in just how pointless it gets.

That quickly got annoying. Every time you think there's going to be a one-on-one scene, everyone else turns up to do their give every character a turn to say something insensitive shtick.

DiGiKerot

The latest on "lack of UK Streams Watch" appears to be to check ANN UK tomorrow at maybe 1300 for information about maybe something maybe? *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom