• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
golden time 01
lacked personality, but not completely terrible. it felt like i was watching the most boring vn translated to an anime though. the music was the thing that stood out the most...but just because it was so bizarre, and the instruments seemed to just start flipping out like they wanted to escape the show they were trapped in.

7Th

That's a 4chan theory; I think the suit will work more like Megaman and Ryuuko can use boxing moves now.

Something somewhat interesting in PaniPoni Dash 17:

iYwHzxJZGxYUf.jpg

Part of the Soredemo Machi cast, years prior to their adaptation of it. I guess Shinbo or whoever was a fan of the manga.

Branduil

Beyond the Boundary 1

Eh, it was okay. The dialogue seemed like someone trying to copy witty banter they read in another story and not succeeding, but it wasn't as bad as KLK.

The character design seems like a blend of Hyouka and Chuunibyou, being worse than the former but a little bit better than the latter. You could say the same about the production design; the piss filter is not quite as irritating as it looked to be in screens, but it's certainly not as aesthetically pleasing as Hyouka. Where this episode does excel is in action animation, and watching this, it feels like a shame that KyoAni has not utilized its animators for action sequences more often. The soundtrack was decent too.

It's hard to judge Ishidate's skill as a director just from this first episode; it doesn't feel like he was given much to work with, but it's competent enough, and there's some interesting framing in a few scenes. The pacing feels a bit off, particularly at the end; the transition from the park to Glasses' apartment is way too sudden, and it needed more atmospheric buildup, especially if you're going to end the episode on a cliffhanger(I don't really understand the intercutting with random characters at the end either, but maybe that's leading to something).

It did have the same problem as Kill la Kill for me, where I don't understand exactly what tone they're going for; the moeblob humor seems at odds with demon-hunting and
it seems odd to play down the girl's desire to keep stabbing a human being
. The characters and story seem quite generic and bland, and I probably wouldn't be watching this if not for the KyoAni production values, but overall it wasn't unpleasant or anything.

InuYasha 48

Oh hey I remember seeing this episode on tv years ago. Those are not pickles... Or the worst drawn pickles in anime history. Watching Kagome sulk was difficult again.

Infinite Stratos S2 1

Opening: Like it. Think I actually perfer it over the one from S1.
Ending: Solid. Loved that they still have the running thing going on.

You know considering how I've been reading the Yuuki Homura IS version, that Houki scene is incredibly funny because of how big her bust size (NSFW) is in the manga.

Also Charlotte fans, Laura fans, let's be honest. A Yuri pairing between the two would be a vastly superior upgrade than either one of them being with a dumbass like Ichika.

Saint Seiya Omega 73
tumblr_mu2o8wJxEX1qf1nmxo2_250.gif
tumblr_mu2o8wJxEX1qf1nmxo1_250.gif

As a Subaru fan :/ Anyway incredible episode
Pleiades Impact is one of the best attacks in the series
. Not much else to say though beyond just the final minute
Sky Cloth Shou sounds amazing

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Eh, I can see where you're coming from but I still don't really hear it. I don't think there are many prevalent seiyuu that are that similar to each other, except for maybe some tones of Miyukichi sounding a lot like Ryoko Shiraishi among other things.
All the seiyuu have the same kawaii uguu desu voice, because 90% of all anime girls are the same. The outliers come with characters in the higher range or the lower range, or in the case of Kobayashi, someone who can jump from one to the other.

That people are starting to sound like Sawashiro is just... scary to me. :p

Okay, I think I figured it out -- Koshimizu uses a more Sawashiro-like tone when Ryuuko is just in normal conversation, but for battle mode, her voice does change a bit more.

But yeah, we probably need more than one episode's worth of voice sample to make any real comparisons.

(Disclaimer: I haven't watched any action shows with Koshimizu in a main role in quite a while, so I don't know what the "usually" sounds like.)
I don't know what she's like anywhere else, but her character's speech - particularly when she deals with being mugged, is just pure Sawashiro-esque.

[ Infinite Stratos 2 ] - 1

Never thought this day would come.

I demand two things after this ep:
  • pika-tan
  • a Laura/Charlotte buddy cop OVA
  • permanent wardrobe change to the cat pajamas
I don't think it's a spoiler to say that Pika-tan becomes a character!

Sort of creeps up on you, doesn't it?
When you watch a show like 5 times, there is no other choice. lol
The OP is still in my brain!

Pokémon The Origin - 1

Ah...such great nostalgia. I love how faithful to the games it opened up. THIS is how Pokémon battles were meant to be made in anime. I especially liked seeing Brock being a sort of mentor for Red. Can't wait to see how they handle Team Rocket and Pokémon Tower.

I hope some time later there's a sequel with Gold fighting a grown-up, badass Red.

Infinite Stratos S2 Episode 1

I thought the original series was pretty solid, so it's nice to see a continuation. Laura is quickly becoming best girl. She was a raging bitch in the original series before she warmed up to Ichika, but now she's adorable. Kitty outfit was great, as was the "I'm not naked!" line. When I saw the original series, it was the English dub, so it's a bit weird to hear Cecilia speaking Japanese w/o the accent.

I like it. I'm on board.

Golden Time

Wasn't bad. I'll keep watching for the time being. I'm not way into it like I am with KLK or IS, but even if it's not spectacularly good, it's at least entertaining so far.

Now I'm looking forward to checking out Walkure Romanze and Outbreak Company.

This is probably old, but someone took a manga page from Flowers of Evil and made a fake anime screencap of it.

yl06bjm.jpg

I hate it. It looks so fucking generic in comparison. Great redrawing by the artist, though.

Kill la Kill 1
Well that was awesome. Feels like its going to be my second favorite anime of the year. The fights were amazing and the art is great.

Kyousougiga TV 0
This is really crazy and I didn't really make much sense of this. It also uses a lot of pun which aren't as funny translated. Guessing this will be the nonsensical anime of the season

Chuck

Still without luck
This is new right? Crunchy Roll hasn't had this many animes in a season before have they? Or have I just not been paying attention?

This is new right? Crunchy Roll hasn't had this many animes in a season before have they? Or have I just not been paying attention?

They did announce 6 new anime today only which is why it probably seems like a lot. You also have to remember the fact that most of the shows they've announced are second/third seasons to shows they already had the rights for. Get rid of all the second/third seasons and it's probably in line with what they usually get.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Kill la Kill 1

It's a good start. Obviously I'll have to see how it develops before making any real judgement on it.

wonzo

Banned
This is probably old, but someone took a manga page from Flowers of Evil and made a fake anime screencap of it.

yl06bjm.jpg

I hate it. It looks so fucking generic in comparison. Great redrawing by the artist, though.
What's worse is there are people that actually wish it looked like that.

cnet128

Banned
Kill la Kill 1

Just typing the name of this show in an impression post feels a little surreal and exciting. I can hardly believe I'm finally seeing it in action, and it's every bit as wonderful as I could have hoped. I feel like I must be dreaming, or else have died and gone to heaven. Thank you based Trigger, for you have brought us salvation.

Ryuuko is a great heroine. More badass than any man could hope to be, yet with occasional elements of extreme cuteness slipping through that just add to her awesome levels. If this is episode 1, I dread to think how amazing she will be by the end of the series. Remember, folks, there was no Giga Drill Breaker in Gurren Lagann until episode 8. If Ryuuko ever hits a Threshold of Awesome like that, the world may not be able to handle it.

Mako is the most wonderful of sidekick/friend characters, and I hope the series includes a lot of her. She's basically the equivalent of Shiranui in Medaka Box, except without all the baggage that character has. I love that she's voiced by Suzaki Aya, whose only previous major voice role was Tamako in Tamako Market, and her distinctive voice was one of my favourite things about that show. It's a perfect fit for this character as well.

The pacing in this episode seems deliberately accelerated, as if the show knows how these introductory arcs are supposed to go, and knows that we viewers know too, so it's getting it all out of the way with minimal fuss. Except putting it like that makes it sound like a negative thing, which it really isn't in any way. Despite the fact that the episode races through the required plot moments at lightning speed, it never feels unsatisfying or like we're missing anything - every plot point hits home with the desired impact and energy, it just does so quickly and then promptly makes way for the next development in line. In other words, the pacing isn't "rushed", it's just "a rush". Of awesome.

Basically the only negative thing I can say about this episode is that it ended. Good thing we've still got two whole cours of this to go!

Kill la Kill 01

I like the animation. It's something you don't usually see which is a nice treat.

I have no interest in the plot or the characters. The over the top action isn't doing anything for me.

No idea if I'll bother continuing it. Thursdays are packed as it is.

Kill la Kill 1

What does the term 'hot-blooded' mean to you? Does it carry a negative connotation that merely displays a shallow exhibition of style over substance, or is it an inspiring and desirable trait showing off just what you can accomplish when you're all gung-ho about stuff? For me, it's the latter.

Being hot-blooded isn't about solving problems by yelling at them. It's about solving problems while yelling at them. We're not talking about some 80s action movie/dudebro game where it's badass for the sake of being badass, but rather badass for the sake of progress. The point of these characters isn't "I wish I could be that guy" but rather "I wish I could do the things that guy does". I won't call them self-inserts, because while I'm obviously not going to be throwing around galaxies in a mech nearly the size of an entire universe, I can still aspire to tackle problems and roadblocks with the same energetic enthusiasm as these people with such otherworldly issues. Kicking reason to the curb works when it's what's holding you back, and that's a mindset to keep when facing adversary or whatever. No motivational bullshit works if you can't actually understand "if it isn't 0%, it might as well be 100!". That is what being hot-blooded means to me, and I think Imaishi has the same idea.

This was me before Gurren Lagann:

This was me after it:

And here I find myself at another turning point in my life, having just moved into a house I recently bought, attempting to publish a novel, and trying to perfect my totally awesome vodka sauce recipe. What was it that got me this far? Motherfucking Imaishi!

From the looks of things, Kill la Kill will not break the trend started by TTGL. It continues in the path of high-energy, hot-blooded badassery that is just as inspiring to watch as it is enjoyable. Accompanied by some fantastic animation, a great art style, and a plot that really drives home the "success against all odds" mindset, I don't think I have to worry about the quality of this show. Only thing I would say is a very noticeable step down from TTGL is the soundtrack, but at least the ED (or is that the OP just placed at the ending) seems great.

I'm curious to see what this show will inspire me to do. Don't let me down, Imaishi! You've got some high expectations to deal with, including a potential place in my top 5 anime (AOTY is a given).

What's worse is there are people that actually wish it looked like that.

If it looked like that I probably would have watched more then 1 episode, garbage art style is garbage and completely ruined the show. Kill La Kill shows you can forgive an average plot with great style and flash, Aku no Hana shows you can murder a great story with awful art and blandness.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'd like to believe that conversation with the girl thief was botched fansubbing, but I'd have to go back and check. Otherwise, yes, that was not well written. Probably on the way there, but needing a few more edits.

cnet128

Banned
If it looked like that I probably would have watched more then 1 episode, garbage art style is garbage and completely ruined the show. Kill La Kill shows you can forgive an average plot with great style and flash, Aku no Hana shows you can murder a great story with awful art and blandness.

I can't quite seem to put into words how wrong you are. But it's a lot.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'd like to believe that conversation with the girl thief was botched fansubbing, but I'd have to go back and check. Otherwise, yes, that was not well written. Probably on the way there, but needing a few more edits.
I thought that was a boy.

tumblr_moelx7RIvN1qbvovho2_500.gif

Awful art? Yeah, sure, man.

yami4ct

I haven't seen KLK yet but the Trigger ballwashing is getting out of hand. There was this insane dude the other day who said KyoAni needs to do more work to reach "Trigger-level" like he was talking about Studio Ghibli or 1996 Gainax.

Yeah, it's getting really awkward. I liked the first episode of KLK, but the extreme reactions to any sort of criticism or questioning is really reaching cult levels.

yami4ct

[ig]http://25.media.tumblr.com/0403c93084f6ac72df42d1be07696282/tumblr_moelx7RIvN1qbvovho2_500.gif[/img]

Awful art? Yeah, sure, man.

Compared to how good the character designs of the manga look, the rotoscoped garbage the anime puts out almost makes my head hurt. It's really sad and loses a lot of personality in translation.

cajunator

Banned
Noted, but I still need to reserve space for Galilei Donna and Samurai Flamenco, so IS: Infinite Stratos gets pushed off to a lull in the proceedings.

Youre not missing anything worthy. Just look up pics of char in the cat suit.

[ Infinite Stratos 2 ] - 1

Never thought this day would come.

I demand two things after this ep:
  • pika-tan
    [*]a Laura/Charlotte buddy cop OVA
    [*] permanent wardrobe change to the cat pajamas

OMG THIS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom