• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

On the subject of tone, Kill la Kill really didn't feel much like FLCL at all. Even compared to the most madcap episode of the series (5), everything is so incredibly heightened all the time in this show. With its over-the-top canonical violence and impatience for any kind of downtime, it felt much closer to Dead Leaves, which isn't a comparison I like making.

I think that generally, the tone was consistently light, so that didn't bother me. The only time where the speed of the episode and constant gags hurt the mood was immediately following Ryuuko's first fight with the boxing club leader. We barely have time to let the image of her house sink in (our first sense of what she's lost, and what she's fighting for) before she's in the middle of a "falling down a hole" gag. That undercut a moment that seemed intended to be more profound.

Outside of that, I don't have any issues with how the episode was handled, but what will make or break this show is what happens when they take their foot off the gas.

Pooya

I'll give you an even worse example in the Kyoukai no Kanata novels:

The main character's mother is a cat girl fetishist. She wears cat ears and shows her boobs off to her son. He's rightfully embarrassed beyond all fuck. Why the hell would you put that in your story when it you know it's embarrassing and stupid? I can understand if you didn't know better but judging by the character's response, you do.

And all I can think about is this character: http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...on-d5kyfja.gif

hah, I was already dropping it anyway sounds like this could be their worst ln yet...

Articalys

And here's the counterpart Kill la Kill newspaper ad to yesterday's, this time featuring Ryuuko, in today's edition, as drawn by Sushio:
JQMuvLY.jpg
Haven't found a transcription for the text this time yet, so if anyone wants to take a stab at it, feel free.

cajunator

Banned
One anime is as entertaining as any other!

This is true. Theres always someone out there who is entertained by everything no matter how insipid or pointless others think it is.

Man, I leave the thread to go to trivia night and everything just melts down, huh.

Anyway, since this probably got lost in the discussion, I just wanted to revive it:

For two more simulcasts, Crunchyroll has Strike the Blood on Fridays at 11:00am PDT, and Nagi no Asukara, which was confirmed yesterday, had its time finalized as Thursdays at 8:00am PDT, with episode 1 airing at that time tomorrow since they couldn't get it finalized before it aired today, or something.

Oh, and even after both of those they still have four more open slots for Fall simulcast shows.

I see cute people

it really bothered me that the suit was asking for blood but the show wasn't very bloody afterwards. her scissors act like a blunt object. it's sad.

Its not nearly as bloody as Kyoukai no Kanata and thats kinda weird.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGHHHHHHHHH
OH GOD DONT DO THAT WITHOUT A WARNING

I thought MF wanted nothing to do with the little shit who wrote Infinite Stratos anymore? Goddamit. This is proof that there is no god.

I did too but it seems fate has changed.

Pretty much yep lol.
Maybe not as moe.

I'm giving KLK another chance tomorrow because I'm pretty sure that I wasn't in the appropriate mindset for it today. It was the weirdest disconnect where I know that this stuff is directly up my alley and yet I felt nothing, so it deserves a re-evaluation.

Youre in the working world now. Fun is OVER :D

JCG

Kill la Kill - 1

Quite pleased with the results so far, although I did find the humor falling flat on its face during a few scenes. Do people really laugh out loud at some of this stuff, I wonder?

Definitely a great start to the show, hopefully they can keep this up the whole way through, not necessarily in terms of the insanely fast pacing per se but almost everything else.

Jex

[Kill la Kill] - 1

It's actually more like Kekko Kamen + Cutie Honey + Dezaki postcards + Imaishi.

Also there are a lot of first episode impressions of that show in this thread. A crazy amount, perhaps, as I don't recall seeing so many impressions for any other title.

Also, this certainly isn't as tight, as good looking, as well animated or as well paced as something like FLCL or Gurren Lagann but it's still early days yet

Syrinx

Garzey's Wing

So yeah, you know all the funny stuff and quotes and whatnot. I will say that there really isn't any context to which "Lord Chris" should ever be uttered. Maybe it's just because my name is Chris, but it's hilarious every time it's said. It's like hearing "King Scruffy".

Ending shot with the flying motorcycle was just the perfect way to cap this off. Dear God.

..Ah, hell, I'll leave one quote. "Your necklace is jumping, my friend. The story of the mind and body separation, must therefore be true". Oscar-worthy shit right there, my friends.

Silky

Banned
Ah. Log Horizon airs tooday. Gonna keep an eye on it, for sure.

Kill la Kill 1
Stupid, enjoyable fun. This show oozes a lot of fun.

CorvoSol

The Flowers of Evil 10

So I sort of feel at this point that it is kind of hard to vote for The Flowers of Evil for Anime of the Year. In part because this damn thing is award bait of the century. A creditsless episode with no music until the ending, with nothing but three rain-fueled emotional performances by the stars? C'mooooon. Nobody else is going to compete with that, least of all Ass on Titan. It's too much class for a shit show like that to ever even conceive of. The other reason is because it feels in many ways that the show isn't really an anime at all. There's nothing that really ties it to anime, y'know? None of the usual anime tropes, the drama is actually realistic and dramatic and not the bullshit made up drama-for-drama's sake drama you see in other anime. People do things that adds to the drama, but not solely for the sake of drama (see Victory Gundam, where Shitkti's sole purpose is to do the most inane thing she can to cause trouble, like running right into enemy hands so that people can die and hostages can be taken.).

So the show is really good, but so good I kind of feel the need to disqualify it. I know that makes no sense, but I mean, come on, when you have The Flowers of Evil's Michael Phelps competing in a swimming competition against a one-legged, brain-damaged sloth with lead weights tied to its entire body (Attack on Titan), is it really fair to give Phelps the gold medal? Is a little "Thanks for Participating" ribbon really all poor, bottom-feeding, worthless sack-of-shit shows like Attack on Titan can hope for?

Shouldn't we cut the little guy a break?

Silky

Banned
Can't be that bad, I mean! I just hope it follows the "world" of the show instead of some budding romance/harem bullshit. Character design's okay, and from the PV I was impressed.

I'm just waiting on Samurai Flamenco now ;~;

Shergal

[Kill la Kill] - 1
Also, this certainly isn't as tight, as good looking, as well animated or as well paced as something like FLCL
Few things are, though.

or Gurren Lagann
It has been a while since I've watched TTGL 1, but if you ask me I thought it looked just as good if not better, overall. Of course there is a lot of deliberate (i.e. part of the style) and necessary corner cutting, but the art direction is miles beyond TTGL, the animation is full of Sushio goodness and well-timed gags and I really like that thing they have going with how they draw clouds/lighting/postcards.

The first episode of TTGL was better paced and the characters more instantly likeable, I agree.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Garzey's Wing

So yeah, you know all the funny stuff and quotes and whatnot. I will say that there really isn't any context to which "Lord Chris" should ever be uttered. Maybe it's just because my name is Chris, but it's hilarious every time it's said. It's like hearing "King Scruffy".

Ending shot with the flying motorcycle was just the perfect way to cap this off. Dear God.

..Ah, hell, I'll leave one quote. "Your necklace is jumping, my friend. The story of the mind and body separation, must therefore be true". Oscar-worthy shit right there, my friends.
Congratulations.

To be clear though, Christopher Senshu isn't THE Chris, when people in this thread invoke that name. There is only one, and he travels in a wheelchair.

Shergal

The Flowers of Evil 10
So the show is really good, but so good I kind of feel the need to disqualify it. I know that makes no sense, but I mean, come on, when you have The Flowers of Evil's Michael Phelps competing in a swimming competition against a one-legged, brain-damaged sloth with lead weights tied to its entire body (Attack on Titan), is it really fair to give Phelps the gold medal? Is a little "Thanks for Participating" ribbon really all poor, bottom-feeding, worthless sack-of-shit shows like Attack on Titan can hope for?

Shouldn't we cut the little guy a break?

The things you say about Titan could apply even without AnH existing, lol.

And well, it's certainly directed more like a live-action drama than any animation, but there's still people who draw drawings behind it, so I don't feel weird calling it anime.

Dresden

coppelion - 01

There's some good animation here, but it's all ruined by this weird art direction where everyone is swathed in thick black lines. It accentuates all the flaws of their design and sets them off unpleasantly from the background, making them look as if they're floating off the frame, not a set part of the composition. Maybe it could have worked with more control, but as with most things GoHands-related they just went totally overboard.

The backgrounds are highly detailed, but I wish that whoever is in charge of photography at the studio gets a boot in the ass because everything is tinted in varying shades of technicolor. And there are moments where they try to mimick a camera by losing focus and blurring the palette, which doesn't look stylish at all, but rather reminds me of what glaucoma might look like. Basically, GoHands. Again.

Wasted effort.

sonicmj1

And here's the counterpart Kill la Kill newspaper ad to yesterday's, this time featuring Ryuuko, in today's edition, as drawn by Sushio:

Haven't found a transcription for the text this time yet, so if anyone wants to take a stab at it, feel free.

Amateur translation force go! First the Japanese transcript, then my attempt at turning it into English.

物心ついた時から一人きり。
負けん気だけは人一倍。
自分を守るのは自分だけ。
それを支えに生きてきた。
生きたセーラー服を身に纏い
乙女の意気地を貫き通す。

なんだよ、生きたセーラー服って。
一番不思議なのは着てるあたしだ。
それでもいいさ。
それで奴らに勝てるなら、
なりふりなんてかまわない。
それがこの纏流子の心意気だ。

Ever since I could remember, I was alone.
I had no advantage but my will to win.
Only I could protect myself.
That was what kept me going.
The living sailor uniform I wear
will see this maiden's will through.

What's this living sailor uniform anyway?
That I'm wearing it is the strangest thing of all.
But even so, that's fine.
As long as I beat these guys,
It doesn't matter how I look.
That's the spirit of Matoi Ryuuko.

Thanks Kagami for helping me identify some of the kanji.

Quasar

Nagi no Asukara 01

On one hand, you have this really nice setting of the ocean world. It's really nice and surreal to look at it. I just want to know more of this world.

On the other hand, you have half the cast (the main two who's probably gonna have all the focus) being completely annoying and grating to watch. This whole conflict they are setting up isn't doing it any favors either.

I liked them for the most part. For some reason they made me think of anohana.

The setting though is kind of weird. The whole underwater city where sound travels as it does through air.

Will watch again.

sonicmj1

The Flowers of Evil 10

So I sort of feel at this point that it is kind of hard to vote for The Flowers of Evil for Anime of the Year. In part because this damn thing is award bait of the century. A creditsless episode with no music until the ending, with nothing but three rain-fueled emotional performances by the stars? C'mooooon. Nobody else is going to compete with that, least of all Ass on Titan. It's too much class for a shit show like that to ever even conceive of. The other reason is because it feels in many ways that the show isn't really an anime at all. There's nothing that really ties it to anime, y'know? None of the usual anime tropes, the drama is actually realistic and dramatic and not the bullshit made up drama-for-drama's sake drama you see in other anime. People do things that adds to the drama, but not solely for the sake of drama (see Victory Gundam, where Shitkti's sole purpose is to do the most inane thing she can to cause trouble, like running right into enemy hands so that people can die and hostages can be taken.).

As incredible as the end of episode 7 is, this episode might be even more remarkable. It invests all its faith in the performance of its three leads. The camera stares at them unflinching, soaking us in their most pathetic moments. The everpresent throb of the ambient soundtrack stands back, leaving only the rain to intrude on their conversation. And it works. It's one of the most emotionally raw scenes I've ever encountered in an anime.

I can't imagine episode 10 without the rotoscoping. I could only imagine it seeming like melodramatic bullshit.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Amateur translation force go! First the Japanese transcript, then my attempt at turning it into English.

物心ついた時から一人きり。
負けん気だけは人一倍。
自分を守るのは自分だけ。
それを支えに生きてきた。
生きたセーラー服を身に纏い
乙女の意気地を貫き通す。

なんだよ、生きたセーラー服って。
一番不思議なのは着てるあたしだ。
それでもいいさ。
それで奴らに勝てるなら、
なりふりなんてかまわない。
それがこの纏流子の心意気だ。

Ever since I could remember, I was alone.
I had no advantage but my will to win.
I had nothing to protect but myself.
That was what kept me going.
The living sailor uniform I wear
will see this maiden's will through.

What's this living sailor uniform anyway?
That I'm wearing it is the strangest thing of all.
But even so, that's fine.
As long as I beat these guys,
It doesn't matter how I look.
That's the spirit of Matoi Ryuuko.

Thanks Kagami for helping me identify some of the kanji.

So what they are saying is that she now has the power to revolutionize the world.

Kill la Kill episode 1

Way to oversell a show, guys. It was OK but come on.

Next up, Coppelion 1

It always happens lol. I remember being so hyped to watch Hyouka. What I got was some stupid teenage love triangle and them trying to find some english book. I guess I didn't like the concept.

zeroshiki

This is pretty good. Did you type out all the Japanese? :lol

Just this:
自分を守るのは自分だけ。

I had nothing to protect but myself.

Its probably "Only I could protect myself"

Pokemon the Origin 1

Like a wave of nostalgia but with more sakuga and a manly sounding smug ass Green. Even in the first part, Oak doesn't have much faith in Green because he's a smug ass, granted Red is a complete scrub, and yet was probably written that way because we've been in his situation before... I know I have. Trying to steal someone's Pokeball, ineffective moves, but I didn't get Charmander screaming to death from getting bit in the neck. I swear to god it actually sounded like it was screaming an elongated OW, mainly because of how one of his screams ended.

Liked how
Brock was a tutor for Red for him to learn as a Pokemon trainer.

Of course, the battles are very brisk in pacing since it's an OVA and not the whole shebang, but what can you do?

Silky

Banned
The Flowers of Evil 01

This show has me really curious. Judging by the end, I'm guessing the show has to revolve around temptation and consequences around it, right? I think I'm gonna watch some more in the morning. It's pretty good.

Yes I started watching this after that last post regarding the show.

sonicmj1

This is pretty good. Did you type out all the Japanese? :lol

Just this:

Its probably "Only I could protect myself"

That seems right to me. Got my "だけ” emphasis all wrong. Guess I'll edit it.

I typed it all out, but I spent so much time worrying about how to translate 貫き通す and stuff that I forgot to check the sentences I took for granted.

Thoraxes

The demands of the story is going to ground them as it goes. It'll slow down, just to explain her uniform, her past, and Aizen-sama's involvement.

I thought the uniform was explained pretty well, especially considering
that it absorbed the thread from the (likely mojo that makes it work) other Goku uniform after the fight, and how it kinda looks like an incomplete version of Satsuki's *wink*.Then we have the black vs. white, the stars and their numbers versus the eyeball, mass production versus a single oddity, and then the fact that hers has a personality inside of it, all coupled with the power to defeat Goku uniforms with the scissor blade.

I thought that there was a TON of information about how the universe works in just that first episode alone, but yeah, there will be some more.

But the past and Aizen-sama~ for sure. I can see plenty more on that.

Dresden

I thought the uniform was explained pretty well, especially considering
that it absorbed the thread from the (likely mojo that makes it work) other Goku uniform after the fight, and how it kinda looks like an incomplete version of Satsuki's *wink*.Then we have the black vs. white, the stars and their numbers versus the eyeball, mass production versus a single oddity, and then the fact that hers has a personality inside of it, all coupled with the power to defeat Goku uniforms with the scissor blade.

I thought that there was a TON of information about how the universe works in just that first episode alone, but yeah, there will be some more.

But the past and Aizen-sama~ for sure. I can see plenty more on that.

Incidental information, sure, but you know there's going to be an episode where the uniform and her actually chat for a bit.

Thoraxes

Incidental information, sure, but you know there's going to be an episode where the uniform and her actually chat for a bit.

Yeah, I suppose there will be more. I like his personality, so it should be fun to listen to him tell his tale when it gets to that.

The Flowers of Evil 01

This show has me really curious. Judging by the end, I'm guessing the show has to revolve around temptation and consequences around it, right? I think I'm gonna watch some more in the morning. It's pretty good.

Yes I started watching this after that last post regarding the show.

It's so much more than that. Watch through episode three and get back to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom