• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhs004

Kuroko 26

Really good episode not alot of ball being played but it seriously helped the plot and explained alot. The engrish was not that bad also. Looking forward towards next week should be a good episode.

Narag

Gifu Dodo!! Kanetsugu & Keiji 14

dlXLIECl.jpg

In a show that's a throwback to simpler manlier times, we get a recap ep. Thankfully they use the two buddies drinking framing device with Mosuke and Jirobo to give it a humorous spin. So glad they included the Kenshin/Kanetsugu conversation in this as it's probably the best character moment in the show.

Lost opportunity to redo the ED with those characters though.

wonzo

Banned
Little Busters Refrain 1 - and heres where it moves from being a somewhat pleasant tale of school friendship and baseball to crappy keyness and a terrible twist. Don't know why I didn't just leave it with that pleasant ending.
but the dumb keyshit is the only reason to watch all the shitty shows by key in the first place

lb18.gif

Some of those opinions felt like it might as well been another Earthsea yet I never recalled anything so bad. I don't think I've been able to separate whether or not the criticism is based on just the movie itself or irritation at the the "what if" scenario if Hosoda had had his way. Of course that little conceit is on me rather than anyone else.

I had become a huge Miyazaki fan after Spirited Away, and when I heard he was doing an adaptation of Howl's Moving Castle I was so excited that I went to the library straightaway and grabbed the book. I really enjoyed it (it is a good book), and was really looking forward to seeing Miyazaki's take on it. But when I saw the movie, I was confronted with a nonsensical mess where Miyazaki had taken the bare framework of the book's premise and wrenched it apart to fit in all his personal obsessions. Especially in the later half of the film, it became a spectacle of sound and fury, signifying nothing. I hated it, and that was long before I knew who Mamoru Hosoda was. I don't know how anyone could look at the incoherent structuring of the film and not say it's Miyazaki's weakest effort.

Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shuushoku wo Ketsui Shimashita. - 01

Alright setting but the show is not dumb enough yet .

I can't help but compare it to "overlord at work" and so far this one should step - up his game quickly because i'm not convinced yet.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I still need to finish up the first season of this one too. :lol

I swear I will take a day very soon and get caught up on both Freezing and IS. Mark my words!

speaking of which, I thought you ought to know that this is a real cap from Vibration 1:

It doesn't even make any sense contextually or even grammatically, but there you go.

Oh I agree there. They're putting out interesting shows as of late, it's just unfortunate Gifu Dodo!! suffers in the art & animation department.

It comes down to the director. When you've got a great director such as Mamoru Hatakeyama you get a great looking show (Rozen Maiden). When you've got a decent director such as Mitsue Yamazaki you get a decent looking show (Hakkenden). When you've got a bad director such as Bob Shirohata you get a bad looking show (Gifu Dodo). The problem with DEEN during the 2000s was that they mostly had bad directors working with them, Shirohata being one of them, but that's not so much the case anymore.

Articalys

Well, here's the final fallout on that Looking Up at the Half-Moon license, and man is it a doozy:
Yeah, I got scooped on what happened with Corey because I just got discouraged with dealing with the Gwinnett county penal system. I did learn from a staffer at Anime Weekend Atlanta that, yes, it was because he went to Seishun Con to announce the title that he was jailed. An attendee informed a guest, who brought it to the attention of the Seishun staff, who then informed the police.

So, yeah. I think at this point I'm not breaking any news that I can't believe he was that stupid. Apparently, ol' Corey never paid his full license fee to Pony Canyon, either, so final materials weren't ever shipped to him. At least my visions of the digital Betacam masters sitting out on his porch for two months were never real. The saddest thing I've learned in all this is that he may have financed this all with student loans. You know, the one type of loan you can never get away from through bankruptcy? So, besides looking at a long spell in jail, he's probably out thousands of dollars which he'll HAVE to pay back. Maybe he hasn't destroyed his future with this project, but it'll take him a long time to recover from this, if ever. I'd think it was tragic, except this enterprise has been such a multi-clown car pileup from the start.

However, the release is not officially dead. There is an active offer to Pony Canyon to assume the license. Beyond that, I can say no more. It's kind of up to PC and the party making the offer to work out an agreement. However, it's safe to say that Crimson Star Media is dead, dead, dead. If HanTsuki comes out, it won't be from Corey Maddox.

Let this be a warning to you all. If you want to start an anime licensing company:

1.) Don't do it just to kickstart your own voice acting career, unless you're independently wealthy.

2.) Don't finance it with student loans.

3.) Have at least one other partner in your company, in case you get hit by a bus, get sick, or unexpectedly thrown in jail for a parole violation. This brings us to our final lesson...

4.) If you're a registered sex offender on parole who is forbidden to come within a certain distance of minors, don't go to a goddam anime convention! In fact, keep as far in the background as possible and have someone else be your spokesman.

In conclusion, I hope this kid hasn't ruined his life because of this stunt, because whatever else, nobody should have their life ruined over anime.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
speaking of which, I thought you ought to know that this is a real cap from Vibration 1:

It doesn't even make any sense contextually or even grammatically, but there you go.

Ooooh my goodness! I am motivated!

===================================

Coppelion - 01

Enjoyed the first episode, will stick with it.

Quasar

I rather want to know what the original actually was. Get to it translators.

I had become a huge Miyazaki fan after Spirited Away, and when I heard he was doing an adaptation of Howl's Moving Castle I was so excited that I went to the library straightaway and grabbed the book. I really enjoyed it (it is a good book), and was really looking forward to seeing Miyazaki's take on it. But when I saw the movie, I was confronted with a nonsensical mess where Miyazaki had taken the bare framework of the book's premise and wrenched it apart to fit in all his personal obsessions. Especially in the later half of the film, it became a spectacle of sound and fury, signifying nothing. I hated it, and that was long before I knew who Mamoru Hosoda was. I don't know how anyone could look at the incoherent structuring of the film and not say it's Miyazaki's weakest effort.

Maybe by having seen Ponyo, which has even bigger structural problems and is just an all around awful film that is stuck between three different films (none of which are explored in any interesting way because Miyazaki keeps deciding to do something different).

Howl's, at least from my memory, was nowhere near as self-indulgent as Ponyo, and it was fairly cohesive as a whole. Maybe I'd feel differently about the film on a second viewing, but I can't imagine there's any way in which it is worse than Ponyo.

Silky

Banned
I don't know why, but I kind of love despair and cresendo events leading to despair in anime, and The Flowers of Evil so far has been really hitting it home. I like the dialogue between Kasuga and Nakamura a lot. The animation initially used to be a bit rough looking to me, but now I'm used to it.

Gonna try and finish the show tonight but, if what I'm watching of Episode 4 so far, TFoE might very well be AOTY for me as well.

Not to mention that ending theme is catchyyyyyyyy.

cnet128

Banned
Strike the Blood 1

So this is surprisingly enjoyable so far. We didn't really get any further than introductions to our protag and lead girl in this first episode, but the whole production has a nice clean, competent look and feel to it and is just generally pleasant to watch. Only thing I will call the show out on is that there's a lot of jargon being thrown about right off the bat, but it doesn't seem too excessive at this stage.

...And yeah, as expected, Hosoya Yoshimasa in the lead role is enough to keep me happy for the moment. I swear I will never get tired of listening to that guy's voice.

I don't know why, but I kind of love despair and cresendo events leading to despair in anime, and The Flowers of Evil so far has been really hitting it home. I like the dialogue between Kasuga and Nakamura a lot. The animation initially used to be a bit rough looking to me, but now I'm used to it.

Gonna try and finish the show tonight but, if what I'm watching of Episode 4 so far, TFoE might very well be AOTY for me as well.

Not to mention that ending theme is catchyyyyyyyy.

If you're loving Aku no Hana this much by Episode 3, I'm pretty sure you will be in fits of delight around the Episode 7 mark. (And yes, the ED is wonderful. So are the various OPs.)

CorvoSol

Yo Pokemon Origin makes the regular Pokemon series look so bad. It's not the animation quality but the fact that it's so much closer in tone to the original games than the regular anime.

The one thing I'll defend old Pokemon over the new is that in the old Pokemon show, Mewtwo was incredibly badass. I mean, not that he wasn't here, but Pokemon the First Movie is still really damn good for the character it gave Mewtwo.

Red about to do what Ash has never done in over 800 episodes. Let's go baby.

Make Young Mr. Oak his bitch? That was apparent from Saffron City on, though.

Nakama!!

I never knew we had such a deep connection.

I love Howl's. The movie, the setting, and everything else. And because I'm not a jaded old man, or wasn't when I saw it, the war allegory didn't really bother me at all. Howl's is my favorite.

Still need to give Howl's a rewatch. Been curious given thread opinion on it since I first started hanging out in here.

I can't speak for everyone, but I loved the movie. I loved the ENGLISH DUB, and I know people will hate me for that. But it was a really unusual, endearing love story in which two people fell in love with one another after seeing past the surface of each other, and about building a family out of misfits. It was musically and visually striking, and the entire thing is romantic in both ways, I think. It was my second or fourth Miyazaki movie and it's just stuck with me.
I think it is legitimately better than Nausica.

I don't know if any of these problems really bear out. It seems like you're just having general problems with the show, it's pacing, characterization etc because nothing you've criticized seems especially egregious.

I mean, firstly, we know practically nothing about Titans so the limitations on their powers are essentially non-existent. They could do anything they wanted and it wouldn't really brake the logic of the world.

Moreover, everything that the Female Titan does has already been seen in the show before. Someone lead all the titans to attack and it's pretty clearly been the Female Titan in every instance.

Regular Titans don't harden for the same reason that regular titans don't battle effectively against trained human soldiers - they're very stupid creatures apparently acting on instinct where as the Female Titan is clearly calculating and focusing.

We've never seen the Colossal Titan fight but we can speculate that (a) simply being so large takes a lot of energy or (b) the Collosal Titan is basically a siege weapon rather than a warrior.

Eren is a god damn idiot with absolutely no training in his powers where as the Female Titan clearly understands how to use her powers.

I think that Titans being able to pull powers out of their asses is demonstrative of the complaint I made. If the villain can just make powers the fuck up, and the explanation is "Nobody knows jack shit about the Titans" it feels like a cop out to me. Honestly the idea of making Titans mysterious and threatening has been dead for too long, especially once they stopped making the run of the mill ones threatening and shifted to focusing on making them look goofy as fuck.

So yes, I would say my problem is largely with the show's writing. People restating shit, Titans making up powers on the fly, the dragging out of every scene and the occasional cliffhanger that leads to nothing (LEVILEVILEVI! WHAT ARE WE DOING?)

In AoT's favor, though, none of its characters have done things I can remember as being done specifically for the sake of making problems. Or rather, there isn't anyone like AGEtory Gundam's Shakti, running to the Titans after being rescued from them for the sake of stirring up DRAMA.

There are glitters in there, but the show's really burned a lot of the initial good will I had toward it. These last few episodes I am watching to decide if it is worth watching the inevitable second season or not.

Anyway, back to Wolf Chilluns.

Patlabor TV 29

Mamoru Oshii has written a couple of scripts for the TV series, but this is the most Oshii-like of them all. He takes an established aspect of the setting, the Shanghai Restaurant which is the only place which will deliver to the remote headquarters of Special Vehicles, and spins it into a strange horror comedy, reminiscent of some of his work on Urusei Yatsura. The script is well paced and tight, from the somber narration provided by Kumagami, the most detached member of the cast to the threefold repetition of the many food orders. A nice change of pace between two plot-heavy episodes.

Strike the Blood 1

So this is surprisingly enjoyable so far. We didn't really get any further than introductions to our protag and lead girl in this first episode, but the whole production has a nice clean, competent look and feel to it and is just generally pleasant to watch. Only thing I will call the show out on is that there's a lot of jargon being thrown about right off the bat, but it doesn't seem too excessive at this stage.

I found it to be surprisingly decent. Between this and I Couldn't Be A Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided To Get A Job, I discovered how apathetic I was toward something like Golden Time.

LordCanti

Monogatari 14

By the end of this arc, everyone will have
ethered Nadeko.
At least she dished some of it back in this episode.

Maybe by having seen Ponyo, which has even bigger structural problems and is just an all around awful film that is stuck between three different films (none of which are explored in any interesting way because Miyazaki keeps deciding to do something different).

Howl's, at least from my memory, was nowhere near as self-indulgent as Ponyo, and it was fairly cohesive as a whole. Maybe I'd feel differently about the film on a second viewing, but I can't imagine there's any way in which it is worse than Ponyo.

Ponyo was also a narrative mess with a whimper of an ending, but it was better than Howl's by virtue of barely even trying to tell any substantial narrative, so it was easier to just relax and enjoy the lush depiction of water and the charming characterization.

Coherent is the last word I'd use to describe Howl's.

Kyoukai no Kanata - 01

Alright opening

Animation is great , visuals are superb ..yep it's a kyo ani show alright .

i'm ot sold yet on the setting & characters but it seems like EP2 will tell me what to expect since there seems to be a big fight in it.
I'll see what to do with this anime after that i guess.

cajunator

Banned
Team Rikka is the best team.

To LOVE-ru Darkness: 12 (END)

Ah... such an enjoyable series comes to an end.... kinda. The manga is obviously still going, so the show ended.... at a random spot, really. No real plot links were finished. It really ended in the middle of the storyline.

But, nevertheless, it was well worth the watch, even if it is "incomplete". I'm not ashamed by it, I love the To LOVE-ru series. Yeah, its mostly mindless ecchi fun, but I find it enjoyable. Almost every character is enjoyable, and it plays up its ridiculousness because it knows how ridiculous it really is. I, for one, will be waiting for the inevitable next season (On Blu-ray, of course...)

Team Rikka is a very acceptable choice. Very much so.

What's up with honey-lemons?

makes great tea!

Kiniro MOsaic - 09

Yet again a great episode with plenty of good scenes and superb relationships.

KAREN DA BEST

I want to erase my memories of this show and watch it again :(

Thirteen Minutes into Wolf Children

Guys, I dunno. I dunno, guys. I'ma keep watching, but I mean, I dunno there.
She has sex with him only after he turns fuzzy.

Shes all bout dat fuwafuwa.

Looks like Saturdays are going to be a light day of watching anime since aside from Log Horizon everything of not today is a sequel to something I have not seen.

This sentence...I do not quite understand it.

I did say I have trouble sitting through movies.

I actually have to step out for a bit, though, so I won't finish until later tonight.

Watch Millennium Actress corvy kun!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think cnet128 might be the only one who cares, but I did the most weeb thing I could think of and decided to go to the Katsura Sunshine show tonight:

IASKMLNl.jpg

He's the Canadian rakugo performer I found out about a while ago, and I figured that since I'll probably never go to Japan to specifically watch rakugo (by virtue of not understanding the language), this is probably the next best step.

He performs in both languages, but of course, he performed in English here. He's posted basically his "opening act" online, mostly featuring jokes about being a foreigner in Japan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zzFUqqgnp4

But after that, he basically goes into an original story he wrote and then performed two stories from Katsura Bunshi VI, which were very Japanese despite being essentially translated into English.

Another side note is that I had no idea there were like 20 Japanese community/business groups in Toronto. Both the consul-general and the Japanese ambassador (who presumably trucked his way from Ottawa) were also there and I was sitting right behind them, which was also weird. Sunshine even managed to work the ambassador into a joke. lol

Another random note is that the show was taped for a DVD release, so presumably it'll go up for sale at some point.

Ponyo was also a narrative mess with a whimper of an ending, but it was better than Howl's by virtue of barely even trying to tell any substantial narrative, so it was easier to just relax and enjoy the lush depiction of water and the charming characterization.

Coherent is the last word I'd use to describe Howl's.

My memories of Howl's are pretty vague, and the group setting I watched it in means that I might not have noticed so many of the issues around it.

As far as Ponyo, one of the problems I had was that they tried to set up a substantial narrative in the first third of the movie, and then never even went anywhere with it. It made the whole thing just feel like a complete waste of time as Miyazaki indulged random whims and then just decided to throw it all out halfway through the process.

Syrinx

Spice and Wolf II 4

Oh boy. Amarty is making a killing off fool's gold, more than enough to make good on his contract with Lawrence, and now Holo is incredibly upset at Lawrence, understandably so, seeing as how he found out that
the home Holo wants to return to has been destroyed for a while now
and he didn't tell her. I mean, she's been angry with him before, but this is the first time I've felt like she's actually lost her faith in him. Obviously she won't take the deal and she'll continue on with Lawrence, but still, Lawrence dun fucked up bad.

Einhander

I've been powering through Btooom lately. I'm having a blast (har har) watching it. It's essentially Battle Royale with bombs, with a touch of Sword Art Online in it, if only in concept. I was going into the show not knowing what it was about. At first glance, knowing the title and looking at a promotional image of it, I was thinking it was going to be a military shooter series, but it's nothing of the sort. It's very much a psychological thriller.

Log Horizon 1

I'll probably keep up with it for now. Seems alright.

You know, I wonder if the comparisons to SAO (particularly from the passionate negative side) would actually make this a more respected series than it actually is. I know it's been around in other mediums for a little while, but this anime is coming right at the tail end of the SAO boom. I think without that franchise, this would be considered relatively mundane. Of course, SAO dissenters would definitely see it as MUCH less stupid than that, and maybe even entertaining.

Articalys

Saint Young Men OVA 2

What a bizarrely amusing pair of skits.

Movie finally comes out on BD later this month; looking forward to it.

Einhander

Log Horizon 1

I'll probably keep up with it for now. Seems alright.

You know, I wonder if the comparisons to SAO (particularly from the passionate negative side) would actually make this a more respected series than it actually is. I know it's been around in other mediums for a little while, but this anime is coming right at the tail end of the SAO boom. I think without that franchise, this would be considered relatively mundane. Of course, SAO dissenters would definitely see it as MUCH less stupid than that, and maybe even entertaining.

As long as it's more like SAO and less like .hack//Sign. :p

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yuushibu 1:

Watched for Nafe since Nafe was ever so kind as to point out that this is a colored eyelash show. Sadly, it took me mere minutes to feel like I was suffocating under all of the LN character archetypes and the ubiquitous crass fanservice and so I couldn't make it through the whole episode, but I appreciate my freaky interests being remembered. Thanks anyway Nafe!

Shergal

As far as Ponyo, one of the problems I had was that they tried to set up a substantial narrative in the first third of the movie, and then never even went anywhere with it. It made the whole thing just feel like a complete waste of time as Miyazaki indulged random whims and then just decided to throw it all out halfway through the process.

I never got that feel from Ponyo. I mean, yes, there are gods and god-children and escapes, but it's all treated with irreverence and subservient to Ponyo's character antics, aside from a few winks to his usual environmentalist agenda. If anything, the movie pretends to be something else at the very end, with the whole "save the world" thing that builds up to nothing.

It's a very unfocused film that doesn't care about any one aspect in particular, but delights with its spectacle and charms with its two leads. Not the best thing or even close to the best Miyazaki, but I'll still think it's not a bad movie.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Saint Young Men OVA 2

What a bizarrely amusing pair of skits.

Movie finally comes out on BD later this month; looking forward to it.
Oh right, I totally forgot about the movie. I still think the premise is funny enough on its own that I'm looking forward to seeing more Jesus/Buddha jokes.

Yuushibu 1:

Watched for Nafe since Nafe was ever so kind as to point out that this is a colored eyelash show. Sadly, it took me mere minutes to feel like I was suffocating under all of the LN character archetypes and the ubiquitous crass fanservice and so I couldn't make it through the whole episode, but I appreciate my freaky interests being remembered. Thanks anyway Nafe!
Did you ever watch Genshiken for Sue? lol

Dresden

Another side note is that I had no idea there were like 20 Japanese community/business groups in Toronto. Both the consul-general and the Japanese ambassador (who presumably trucked his way from Ottawa) were also there and I was sitting right behind them, which was also weird. Sunshine even managed to work the ambassador into a joke. lol

That was your 'in' to Japan, man. Could've been a thing there. Eat pocky all day.

jman2050

Monogatari S2 14 (Otori 3)

Holy crap. Once again HanaKawa your voice does very strange things to me. Even if not quite the usual way...

Next week's episode + Pokemon is going to make for one heck of a Saturday, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom