• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenumi

Banned
DokiDoki Precure: 40

9 episodes to go....

The shows felt a little better now that it's starting its endgame. Maybe its because the plot is moving, maybe not, i don't know. But its been improving, in my opinion.

Naruto Shippuden 339

3SW49Fp.jpg

Cry_lsp.gif

Beautiful episode.

Damn forgot about this scene from the manga.

The feels. The feels.

Jarmel

Banned
Xam'd is one of the best anime's ever, why does no one ever talk about it? I fell into by accident, and man, it is sublime. One of these days I'm gonna set a day aside to write a huge post. Trust.

Because it's not. The show fell off a cliff after the 2nd half due to pacing and being stuck up its own ass with its philosophical ramblings. However even in the first half there were issues with world building. The lead character also wasn't really that interesting, especially compared to the side characters. There was some good subplots especially with Akiyuki's parents.

Kill La Kill 8

Gamagoori is a sexual battery. That's one way to put it.

I will concede though that Ryuko isn't exactly a strong link in this show.

Kansoku

Kill la Kill - 8

So I take that this is going to be exactly like TTGL: These first 12 episodes are the "trying to find dad's murderer" arc and the E4 battle are going to be the closing off it, then a recap ep, then 12 more episodes on a new and completely different arc

Valvrave 19

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA is right. That was fucking awesome.

Kotaku to write an article about VVV unit 01 mimicking wrist slitting to cool its blade off.

cajunator

Banned
The ultimate troll gift. Next to a copy of Into Darkness. :p

:secretbase

---
As for the rightstuf sale, I feel bad for Allison to Lilia, but you can get the whole thing for 20 bucks now.
Also tsuritama at 28 bucks... pretty much close to the pre-order price from a while ago.

Allison and Lillia is a great deal for 20 bucks.
Tsuritama's price makes me sad. Its worth so much more. Of all the shows I wish NISA had licensed and included an artbook....

It shouldn't amaze you because those prices were gougey as all hell. =/

Well I suppose thats true. Remember the 8 volume series? Kiddy Grade and Stellvia were examples. Gouging at its finest!

Pokemon XY 7

uL5At.gif

Is.....is this really Pokemon?

That flashback with young Ash helping Serena was cute as hell and the lovely music that played during the whole scene just made me think "Holy Shit! Is this really happening???".

Everything else after was pretty great, especially with those moments when Serena and Bonnie are interacting with the Rhyhorn.

Mature

Well I suppose thats true. Remember the 8 volume series? Kiddy Grade and Stellvia were examples. Gouging at its finest!
What series do you have every single of? I was younger and didn't have money, so I only did it for like... three series. It was also before I knew what a bootleg copy of something was. "All of Cowboy Bebop for $20? Sounds like a generous deal!"

Kill la Kill - 8

Man, I love when villains have a sense of honor. It's one of the things that can make them interesting characters and one of the reasons why I enjoyed Gurren Lagann.

But at last, it seems we're getting closer to the truth of what happened to Ryuko's father. That's cool and all, but personally, Satsuki's the more interesting character in this show. Can't wait to see what she's got in store in the show.

Also lol at Mako's singing.

fertygo

I like Xam'd more than E7 actually, I engrossed to Nakiami way more than any other character in E7.. Also plenty of other nice character too. The actual main character is very bleh, but whatever.

The utter nonsense plot not really bother me, because its not like its not the case for other BONES title that more well regarded.. Its still sold me to its more supernatural and occult-ish atmosphere than just your usual sci-fi.

RahXephon is still better though :)

Crocodile

Gamagoori used Bide

IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!

Great episode though it felt a bit like a cock tease since it ended just before things were going to get really good. My only complaint is that I can see the animation shortcuts everywhere. It's a shame the show is so obviously low budgeted. Considering some of the things they are already able to pull off (like episodes 3 and 6) if they had more money the show would probably melt your eyeballs off with the insane action.

NewFresh

Xam'd is one of the best anime's ever, why does no one ever talk about it? I fell into by accident, and man, it is sublime. One of these days I'm gonna set a day aside to write a huge post. Trust.

I was just thinking about this series the other day when I saw it was on Hulu.

Xam'd had a crisp quality to the look and animation that I found initially appealing; however, the show becomes non-sense about half way through. I continues to exude political/philosophical plot, while not allowing any of it to really form any foundation...or honestly make any sense. It has an ok start (Really, just the first episode) but takes a nosedive into a shallow puddle of water with little to no success.

cajunator

Banned
What series do you have every single of? I was younger and didn't have money, so I only did it for like... three series. It was also before I knew what a bootleg copy of something was. "All of Cowboy Bebop for $20? Sounds like a generous deal!"

I used to collect multiple series at a time, and this went on for years, so the list of shows collected this way is quite large. I also wanted the trinkets, the figurines and cloisonne pins and pencil boards.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Pokemon XY 7

uL5At.gif

Is.....is this really Pokemon?

That flashback with young Ash helping Serena was cute as hell and the lovely music that played during the whole scene just made me think "Holy Shit! Is this really happening???".

Everything else after was pretty great, especially with those moments when Serena and Bonnie are interacting with the Rhyhorn.

Man that is some super shipping OTP stuff going on there.

cajunator

Banned
Oh man, I just finished episode 4 of a re-watch of Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru. Such brilliance. The stress placed on Moriaki by Hotori's unintentional trolling and his brief, out of character revenge scheming are great. His delusional theorizing about Hotori's potential identity as a time traveller while alone in conversation with himself in his Nissan, and the awkward laughter that follows, is even better. The voice acting in that scene is fantastic.

This is just one part of one episode. I don't care what anybody says, Soredemo is SHAFT's best show and no amount of silver-tongued lolis or wish granting cat things can convince me otherwise.

I still think Madoka Magica is their best work overall.

Nagi no Asu Kara 8

all miuna all the time

miuna how are you so adorable

To celebrate the adorableness of Miuna, I have made a gif of the best part of the OP.

iwTDWsD3i1sLU.gif

sadly sayu did not appear in this episode

Adorableness has been noted!

It didn't so much jump the shark as it did leap over the entire ocean and soar into the stratosphere.

Usually I love it when shows do this. There are a couple exceptions though.

Jarmel

Banned
Kill La Kill 8-

Ryuuko is definitely the weak link in this show. The problem isn't that she's pretty much a meh character but rather nothing is being done to fix it or even try.

Bombless

Golden Time 8

Uguuuu...this story is all over the place.....just like
Banri's feelings.

Also Linda-senpai is
such a liar.

Jarmel

Banned
Thinking back on TTGL, one thing you could say was that Kamina and Simon were improving their skills despite them having a ridiculously good mech. I really can't say the same for Ryuuko and so I'm wondering whether she's just going to get by these final rounds due to some contrivance or luck. We don't ever see her practice, study, or generally try to get better.

Thinking back on TTGL, one thing you could say was that Kamina and Simon were improving their skills despite them having a ridiculously good mech. I really can't say the same for Ryuuko and so I'm wondering whether she's just going to get by these final rounds due to some contrivance or luck. We don't ever see her practice, study, or generally try to get better.

And here, I think you have a valid point.

At the very best, she only managed to power up via feeling naked, which apparently hasn't been useful for too long (if at all), and she got decked trying to go up against one of the Elite 4. How in the hell is she going to take on all 4 of them?

Jarmel

Banned
And here, I think you have a valid point.

At the very best, she only managed to power up via feeling naked, which apparently hasn't been useful for too long (if at all), and she got decked trying to go up against one of the Elite 4. How in the hell is she going to take on all 4 of them?

The only thing I can think of is that she practiced during that week off and it'll be thrown in as a flashback sequence later. That's like the only way I can see this being viable. Either that or Sanageyama is way beyond the power of an Elite 4 and is closer to Satsuki now.

The only thing I can think of is that she practiced during that week off and it'll be thrown in as a flashback sequence later. That's like the only way I can see this being viable. Either that or Sanageyama is way beyond the power of an Elite 4 and is closer to Satsuki now.

...Hmm, that is the only thing I can think of now. Although, that being said, we know of two out of four of their suits. The other two are a mystery.

fertygo

We don't see that in TTGL too. At least Ryuuko fight shitload number of enemy, that should count as "training" for her.

Jarmel

Banned
We don't see that in TTGL too. At least Ryuuko fight shitload number of enemy, that should count as "training" for her.

In TTGL though, they're pretty much winning their fights up through episode 8. The only opponent they had issues with was Viral and they still beat him. There really isn't a need for the most part. Here, Ryuuko pretty much got her ass kicked by Sanageyama.

cnet128

Banned

Because being weird on purpose is funny and Hatoful Boyfriend proved that there is a market for this kind of thing? Makes sense to me.

bat is clearly best girl

Galileidonna 7

Well, that was better than last week's episode. Looks like
Anna is indeed a spy/traitor of some description, though to what extent she's really on the girls' side is still anyone's guess
, and we get to see the girls
get well and truly defeated by the series' main villain
. You know, like one of those
unwinnable boss battles halfway through an RPG

And now it seems they're off to Japan! So that should be fun or something. Gratuitous onsen scene y/n?

Heysoos

Anyone have problems with Crunchyroll recently? Sometimes their player just stops midway, other times it stops midway AND starts the next episode, and sometimes it's constantly chugging. My Netflix and Hulu Plus streams are rock solid, so idk what's going on.

cajunator

Banned
Anyone have problems with Crunchyroll recently? Sometimes their player just stops midway, other times it stops midway AND starts the next episode, and sometimes it's constantly chugging. My Netflix and Hulu Plus streams are rock solid, so idk what's going on.

It has a tendency to stop in the middle of a show and I have to refresh to continue. It resumes where it left off though.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

PC version has always ran like shit for me. I've always had that stopping for no reason problem and had no idea how to fix it.

Been catching up on my PS4 (and through Remote Play on my Vita). Runs like a champ! All caught up on Eisu and Ship Waifus.

No idea what to watch next. I guess its VVV time.

Samurai Flamenco - 7

I don't think there are any words that can accurately describe what I just saw. I knew this was coming, but it didn't change the fact that I was absolutely not ready for it.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume all the monsters are going to be themed around torture and execution devices.

PS4 version has been the best experience, better than pc even.

On pc I never had that issue, I always had the stops the episode 3 minutes in and goes to black screen...

cnet128

Banned
Samurai Flamenco 7

WHAT

WHAT

WHAT

WHAT

I read the spoilers. I saw people's reaction to the actual episode. I'm still not sure I was prepared for this.

The rest of the episode (and the show in general) has been so great, though, that I can't bring myself to see this as a bad thing. I have faith that this show knows exactly what it's doing and that this will only bring more wonderful developments. I just...WHAT.

LordCanti

Yes. No choice but to refresh and let it restart.

Edit: The PS4 has Crunchy? And the player doesn't do that? Shieeeeeeeetttttttttttttttt. I'll have to set that up later.

duckroll

More Samurai Flamenco 7 spoiler discussion:

It definitely seems to make sense that the Highrollers guy is behind this. It's been foreshadowed for a while now that he likes using his wealth and connectivity to chase superheroes and take them down. He has clearly lost interest in the status quo, and wants to do something more, which involves him going away for a while.

Another point is that the show has painstakingly taken the time to detail the birth of a superhero over many episodes, showing that fantasies can become reality with the right combination of training, wealth, and research. But at the same time it grounds itself in such a way that makes it clear that no matter how much effort is put in, there are no magic powers or superhuman abilities at work. Instead the nature of real heroes are simply a reflection of their unfulfilled desires in their normal boring lives.

Given that, I think it's fairly likely that they are turning that around to show that a person in the same situation with the same resources and means, but with a different sort of mindset and desire, could also be inspired to create the opposite - supervillains.

It'll be incredibly weird and fairly disappointing if the show just decides to go "OH WELL THERE WERE ALIENS AND MONSTERS ALL ALONG ANYWAY" and just runs with it. I have more faith in Omori than that, so we'll see.

Man what a week. Hardest engr exams of my life back to back, two major projects due in between and staying out till late at night everyday. At least my ps4 has been shipped from BB and I got my animu. Today's adventure includes Kyousougiga, Samurai Flamenco, Golden Time and Kyokai Senjou no Horizon. I've realized that I'm kind of done with Kill La Kill. Nothing against the show personally but the tone, the characters, the comedy and the very basic story isn't doing it for me. Gurren Lagann did something different that made me like that. Not this though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom