• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strike Witches: The Movie
Oh look it's Zach's avatars
Still mad most of the 502nd didn't get voice roles! #SOON?!
Strike Witches: The Movie

I quite liked this film actually. It basically comprised of two parts, first half focused on introducing new cute witches for us to look at. (and how fabulous they were)
The second part was focusing on how awesome Miyafuji was which lead to a scene that almost had me in tears.
I'd actually missed this a lot more than I thought. There were also several scenes that I found particularly amusing which I will not mention as I will let people discover those on their own butt yes.
I'm actually very happy that Miyafuji ot her magic back. I thought the ending of S2 was pants in how it handled its tail end in that regard.

I set out to watch this without taking pictures of butts yet I still somehow ended up with 179 screenshots. Welp.
A most refreshing amount of butts.

Glad you liked it! I had sort of mixed feelings about
Yoshika getting her powers back, how calmly she forgets being a doctor was sort of weird I thought. Than I remembered how much I loved the cast (that Miyafuji/Yoshika! scene was fucking awesome) than I just sort of stopped caring
. Now we wait for S3 and OVA details, my nakama.

cnet128

Banned
Non Non Biyori 1

Ending: Will probably skip over frequently.

A terrible person you are.

BZwQp8uCMAAf2aH.jpg:large

No drinks named after Space Ripper Stingy Eyes? Must try harder.

Hirugashi no Naku Koro ni - Series Review

To summarize this anime is a murder-mystery stuck in a recurring time loop of sorts which each loop or arc telling different stories and revealing clues/hints on what's happening but still keeping the same fixed/pivotal moment. While this aspect of time loops is interesting I feel it could've been executed better as I'm still having questions on what specifically happened or is 'real' in each loop
such as why Rena and Mion set out to kill Keichii in the first arc?, how did Shion-acting-as-Mion come back to kill Keichii in the hospital when she fell off the building?, is Keichii's wishing for multiple people dead coming true relevant in the overall story or for that specific arc?
Hopefully these things will be explained in the second season.

With regard to your first spoilered question,
you've actually had your answer to that one already, at least in part. Though I don't feel the adaptation makes it as clear as it was in the original VN, towards the end of Tsumihoroboshi-hen when Keiichi remembers the events of Onikakushi-hen, the reason he collapses with guilt is not only because of the shock of remembering he killed Mion and Rena in another "world", but also because he realises that the two of them were never trying to kill him at all, it was all his own paranoia going wild.

The prick of a needle and taste of blood he convinced himself he felt when eating their ohagi was actually the sting of Tabasco sauce that they had put in one of them as a prank (the anime completely fails at ever explaining this one), and when he thought they were trying to attack him with a syringe at the end, they were actually just trying to draw on him with a marker as the "penalty" for failing the challenge they set him earlier (the Tsumihoroboshi-hen flashback in the anime does show the syringe fading into a harmless marker, though it's a bit blink-and-you-miss-it).

As for your second spoiler question,
it's probably best not to hope for much of an answer to that one; that supposed attack in the hospital room is the one "hook" in the series that I feel doesn't ever get a proper resolution, even in the original VN. The revelations in the second half of the series do make it possible to come up with sort-of explanations, but none of them are all that much better than "Keiichi dreamed the whole thing". It's easiest to just treat that one as a standard "the monster comes back" horror ending tweest that isn't meant to be taken too seriously.

At any rate, though the anime doesn't do a great job of explaining these particular points, I do think you'll find the explanations, revelations and payoff the second half provides in general to be quite satisfying. Good luck with Kai!

Tokyo ravens - 07

It would have been harder to make scar-face more a jerk than he was in this episode.

Actually that's possible but i hope it doesn't come to that.

Gazoinks

I think it's interesting that you bring that up at all because really, with the cool design, great direction, excellent animation and outstanding soundtrack the actual writing of the show can often fall by the wayside in terms of the check list of things that get discussed about Cowboy Bebop because it can be a lot more subtle than you'd expected. As you say, I think they handled it remarkably well especially for a series that is essentially a series of genre pastiches strung together by a likeable cast of characters.

Oh, definitely. Honestly, Spike's characterization is probably my favorite part of the series, along with the crew interactions. He's just an awesome character.

A terrible person you are.

No drinks named after Space Ripper Stingy Eyes? Must try harder.

With regard to your first spoilered question,
you've actually had your answer to that one already, at least in part. Though I don't feel the adaptation makes it as clear as it was in the original VN, towards the end of Tsumihoroboshi-hen when Keiichi remembers the events of Onikakushi-hen, the reason he collapses with guilt is not only because of the shock of remembering he killed them in another "world", but also because he realises that the two of them were never trying to kill him at all, it was all his own paranoia going wild.

The prick of a needle and taste of blood he convinced himself he felt when eating their ohagi was actually the sting of Tabasco sauce that they had put in one of them as a prank (the anime completely fails at ever explaining this one), and when he thought they were trying to attack him with a syringe at the end, they were actually just trying to draw on him with a marker as the "penalty" for failing the challenge they set him earlier (the Tsumihoroboshi-hen flashback in the anime does show the syringe fading into a harmless marker, though it's a bit blink-and-you-miss-it).

As for your second spoiler question,
it's probably best not to hope for much of an answer to that one; that supposed attack in the hospital room is the one "hook" in the series that I feel doesn't ever get a proper resolution, even in the original VN. The revelations in the second half of the series do make it possible to come up with sort-of explanations, but none of them are all that much better than "Keiichi dreamed the whole thing". It's easiest to just treat that one as a standard "the monster comes back" horror ending tweest that isn't meant to be taken too seriously.

At any rate, though the anime doesn't do a great job of explaining these particular points, I do think you'll find the explanations, revelations and payoff the second half provides in general to be quite satisfying. Good luck with Kai!

My thanks for explaining this. But yes how the first arc was resolved at the end of the show was one of the most jarring things for me, glad to know it was an error of adaptation rather than the story itself.

Edit:
Yeah the show never explained the whole needle/Tabasco thing as for the marker I did catch that but I had no precedence to draw off from to connect things together. I guess when he actually died in the first arc it was his own paranoia which caused him to commit suicide and scratch out his throat.

Theonik

I think it's interesting that you bring that up at all because really, with the cool design, great direction, excellent animation and outstanding soundtrack the actual writing of the show can often fall by the wayside in terms of the check list of things that get discussed about Cowboy Bebop because it can be a lot more subtle than you'd expected. As you say, I think they handled it remarkably well especially for a series that is essentially a series of genre pastiches strung together by a likeable cast of characters.
I feel there is room to discuss both frankly, the show is well done in more than one level after all. I thought I'd mention it especially because of that fact.

Glad you liked it! I had sort of mixed feelings about
Yoshika getting her powers back, how calmly she forgets being a doctor was sort of weird I thought. Than I remembered how much I loved the cast (that Miyafuji/Yoshika! scene was fucking awesome) than I just sort of stopped caring
. Now we wait for S3 and OVA details, my nakama.
I kinda agree there though I guess we can wait for season 3 for that.
She could still be a doctor for all we know and yes I agree it was very odd that they have an entire movie around Yoshika being Yoshika even after losing her magic, and have her get it back is the lazy way out of it all but at the same time it does mean that the 501st is flying again and that is a good thing so I'm willing to accept it. As long as it doens't lead to the 502nd being cheated of course.

Tokyo Ravens seems to either have already passed the manga or they skipped smaller arcs in between. No clue as I didn't watch the show until I started again recently. Will be sure to catch the latest one.

I kinda agree there though I guess we can wait for season 3 for that.
She could still be a doctor for all we know and yes I agree it was very odd that they have an entire movie around Yoshika being Yoshika even after losing her magic, and have her get it back is the lazy way out of it all but at the same time it does mean that the 501st is flying again and that is a good thing so I'm willing to accept it. As long as it doens't lead to the 502nd being cheated of course.

I eventually didn't really mind because it's not like the TV series was any better in regards to making much sense even in its realm of reality what with the whole S2 final act
. The OVAs are definitely going to be about the 501st which may or may not finish their story, hopefully it gives use more Shizuka and other various cameos. Forever crossing my fingers for the TV series to be about the 502nd, I have a seiyuu wishlist for them already!

Jex

[Gundam Build Fighters] - 8

I was going to say something along the lines of 'we are not worthy' but frankly yes, yes we are. Sunrise has delivered so many steaming piles of garbage under the heading of 'Gundam' that it's really the least they can do to deliver one good series. They owe us.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gundam Build Fighter Episode 8:

I was not exacting to ever use such a word to describe a Gundam series that ditched the grim and gritty war motifs in favor of, let us be honest here, turning into the likes of Beyblade or Yu-Gi-Oh! Yet her we are with Gundam Build Fighters becoming truly transcendent as it overcomes most of toyeic conventions or embraces them to give us already one of the all time great Gundam series. I do say most because the Gunpla Tournament is a pretty stock plotline for these kinds of shows, almost the default plotline now that I think about it. Anyway, this was a pretty transitional episode as it show most of the important World Tournaments fighters and also kickstarting two intertwining sub-plots about the mysteries of the Plasky Particles and how a new generation of Gundam Build Fighters are mastering the Applied Philbotium and upping the World level to never before seen heights as we get the old guard being jobbed out pretty hard to establish that fact. Also, not enough mention goes to the OST of this program, god damn this soundtrack is amazing. Certainly the second best I have heard all year.

Theonik

I was going to say something along the lines of 'we are not worthy' but frankly yes, yes we are. Sunrise has delivered so many steaming piles of garbage under the heading of 'Gundam' that it's really the least they can do to deliver one good series. They owe us.
Where were YOU when AGE came out.

I eventually didn't really mind because it's not like the TV series was any better in regards to making much sense even in its realm of reality what with the whole S2 final act
. The OVAs are definitely going to be about the 501st which may or may not finish their story, hopefully it gives use more Shizuka and other various cameos. Forever crossing my fingers for the TV series to be about the 502nd, I have a seiyuu wishlist for them already!
Oh sure. And let's hope!

CorvoSol

They really do.

There's been Unicorn, at least! Don't remember if you like that or not though.

A most refreshing amount of butts.

This was my greatest takeaway from your writeup ;).

Gundam build fighter - 07

Man , i wish all the loan sharks across japan were using gunpla to settle the disputes.

This was seriously awesome.

Ok now you're making me excited... off to see this episode !

Tokyo Ravens seems to either have already passed the manga or they skipped smaller arcs in between. No clue as I didn't watch the show until I started again recently. Will be sure to catch the latest one.

They might have skipped something between the love hotel and the current test we are on, but besides that it seems to be on par.

I don't think they skipped anything before the love hotel though.

Gundam build fighters - 08

We are not worthy.

OMG this episode was totally HYPE ..if they wanted me to look forward to this tournament, there was like no other way to do that.

This episode was 10/10 material ..i said it. and the episodes before it were either 9/10 or 8/10

Man that preview after the credits ...

THIS ANIME IS SO GOOD
1359757974132.gif

So Good

Jex

There's been Unicorn, at least! Don't remember if you like that or not though.

Unicorn demonstrated that Sunrise are still willing and able to a Gundam show with great looking 2D mecha getting involved in really exciting action sequences. However from a writing standpoint it's still really leaden and weighed down, in large part, by Banagher Links a.k.a Gundam protag number 342184. By eschewing a war setting, and all the inevitable moralising and moping that such a setting entails, Gundam can actually be legitimately fun. You know what other show demonstrated this fact? Mobile Fighter G Gundam!

Unicorn demonstrated that Sunrise are still willing and able to a Gundam show with great looking 2D mecha getting involved in really exciting action sequences. However from a writing standpoint it's still really leaden and weighed down, in large part, by Banagher Links a.k.a Gundam protag number 342184. By eschewing a war setting, and all the inevitable moralising and moping that such a setting entails, Gundam can actually be legitimately fun. You know what other show demonstrated this fact? Mobile Fighter G Gundam!

I guess I can see where you're coming from. I do find Banagher at least more tolerable than most recent Gundam leads, especially those from AGE. Though AGE did set an impressively low bar so that's not really saying much.

Theonik

Armored Hunter Mellowlink 06
iH0dNFg7A4Qk6.png

Not Chirico watch
Man this episode was brutal. Mellowlink sure is tough though.
How the fuck could he even stand. Dude's on something for sure. I bet
he's an overman like Chirico. Only explanation really.

It's too bad that the one good series is reliant upon nostalgia and affection for the franchise at large.

No, just three. The name of the first is Ojamajo Doremi 16, the second is Ojamajo Doremi 16 naive, the third is Ojamajo Doremi 16 turning point and the last one, Ojamajo Doremi 17.

I wonder how long this will take to translate/not get animated.

lol, I bet Theonik thought 16 was the volume number.

Jex

It's too bad that the one good series is reliant upon nostalgia and affection for the franchise at large.

That's a fair knock against the show because, really, once you strip away the nostalgia it's certainly just your basic kids show with giant robots hitting each other (albeit with great production values). However it's not something I'd say is a major problem with the work because, frankly, Gundam is huge and, as such, making an entire show about the love of Gundam gives you a fairly large audience.

Branduil

Escaflowne- A Girl in Gaea

So I thought this was supposed to be bad. It's by no means great but I did like this a bit. I suppose I should qualify my statements with the fact that I didn't like the TV series. Escaflowne was one of the first anime I had ever watched and probably the first one I disliked. I can't say whether this is an improvement over the TV series as it has probably been close to a decade since I've seen the TV series. I do remember some of my general complaints and overall feeling regarding the TV show and the movie has left me in a better mood than the TV series did, so there is that. So I pretty much won't, and wasn't when watching, be comparing the movie to the TV series. So viewing this by itself, it's ok. There are some characters and relationships that are obviously throwbacks to the TV series and I'm sure some of the characters are much more fleshed out there as well. That said, it didn't become obnoxious, in that the audience should know who certain characters were, or that the movie became bogged down in fanservice. Yea there were certainly a few characters that probably would have gotten trimmed out if this was a completely standalone product but it's not.

The one thing I think I liked the most about the movie was Hitomi's character development. I'm pretty sure the TV series didn't have anything as interesting regarding her and I thought the movie did a good job into making her human with stuff like depression. I loved some of the earlier scenes with her being melancholic and just sort of lost. The movie was about healing and I think Hitomi reflected that very well, not only in her development but also how she related to others. Van's stuff was pretty compelling as there was some deep psychological trauma due to his past and this was reflected in his current personality. Allen got the shaft, he's pretty much there and doesn't really interact with Hitomi at all, but I remember not really caring for him in the TV series anyway so no loss there.

There's a lot of symbolism in the movie such as time, water, and fire. Hitomi enters Gaea through water which could be representative of birth and the first full body shot of Escaflowne is it coming out of the wrecking of the blimp with fire surrounding it. There are also ample allusions to dreams, something I remember from the OG TV series, which you could say is homage to The Wizard of Oz.

The animation and art direction were stellar. I knew this going in due to watching Yutaka Nakamura MADs. The character models are off every now and then but that's really my only complaint on a visual level. The lighting is gorgeous throughout the film and the big mech fight near the end was pretty awesome due to the weight of the mechs being displayed. Audio-wise I forgot how good the Escaflowne soundtrack is. Sora and Memory of Fanelia actually brought up memories as those two I do remember from the show(that and also the Kanno concert in August).

I do think the movie was a bit short and would have heavily profited if it had expanded on Folken and his grief instead of it being a bit one dimensional. Dilandau was also as annoying as I remember him in the TV series.

The way that
Folken got killed
was contrived and just plain dumb.

Nordicus

Steins;Gate

Kinda funny and generally well-made but it did not achieve as high a rating in my FEELS-o-meter as I had hoped. This anime almost had me misty-eyed
when Daru was confirmed to be the time-traveler's father. The scene would have had me reaching for a tissue if Daru had realized that his daughter had to live in an oppressive dystopia and was forced to join a resistance group.
I would have then cried more than during the final episode of Jigoku Shoujo (first season) if they'd done that or something along those lines.

The numerous deaths of Mayuri and the final sacrifice of Kurisu left me surprisingly lukewarm.
In case of former I can't explain why, perhaps that the shock value ended after the train scene, and in case of latter... I just didn't like her all that much. I was quite frankly more crushed when
Ruka had to revert his gender back to normal and lock away those feeling for HOOOUUUOOOUUIIIN KYOOOOOOMA that he's been able to openly express as a woman

Speaking of Jigoku Shoujo, I should continue with the second season. I think I dropped it because it had introduced a "superpower battling" element on top of the usual horror, thriller and drama. Might still be worth it to pick it back up

I wonder how long this will take to translate/not get animated.

lol, I bet Theonik thought 16 was the volume number.

Well...the last update on volume two was sometime ago...and after listening to the drama CD i would love to have an anime version, but its in the hands of Toei.

Yes. Not like I care though. I only read printed books so I won't touch them till I can read Japanese.

Even with the translated volume, I'm still reading the books, because of this I'm going at a slow pace.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, that was the thing I was talking about.
THEY WERE GOING TO HURT YOU AND I HAD TO HIT THEM TO SAVE YOU, YOU BITCH!

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet - Fin aka The Waterworld that didn't suck

I went into this expecting something rather dumb. I'm not ashamed to say I went onto episode 2 because of Bellow's attributes more or less.

I'm glad I did though, because this is a colourful and beautifully animated show. Being rather short I found there were no real slowdowns (if anything, some parts went by too fast) and the world was interesting.

Also worth mentioning that every mid-episode breaks featured a new image related to the current episode. I loved that so much. Items, clothes, stuff that added more depth to the society onboard Gargantia.

Unquestionable best girl :
3yxiGQk.gif

Quick question : Did Chamber's design remind anyone of Full Metal Panic's Arbalest?

It does now that you mention it!

Thanks!

Well...the last update on volume two was sometime ago...and after listening to the drama CD i would love to have an anime version, but its in the hands of Toei.

Even with the translated volume, I'm still reading the books, because of this I'm going at a slow pace.

My lack of understanding limits me on what I can learn from Drama CDs.

Well with Doremi done, maybe we can finish Yes Precure 5 GoGo!
what?????

you haven't ???

Steins;Gate

Kinda funny and generally well-made but it did not achieve as high a rating in my FEELS-o-meter as I had hoped. This anime almost had me misty-eyed
when Daru was confirmed to be the time-traveler's father. The scene would have had me reaching for a tissue if Daru had realized that his daughter had to live in an oppressive dystopia and was forced to join a resistance group.
I would have then cried more than during the final episode of Jigoku Shoujo (first season) if they'd done that or something along those lines.

The numerous deaths of Mayuri and the final sacrifice of Kurisu left me surprisingly lukewarm.
In case of former I can't explain why, perhaps that the shock value ended after the train scene, and in case of latter... I just didn't like her all that much. I was quite frankly more crushed when
Ruka had to revert his gender back to normal and lock away those feeling for HOOOUUUOOOUUIIIN KYOOOOOOMA that he's been able to openly express as a woman

Speaking of Jigoku Shoujo, I should continue with the second season. I think I dropped it because it had introduced a "superpower battling" element on top of the usual horror, thriller and drama. Might still be worth it to pick it back up

You should watch the second season of jigoku shojo if you liked the first , the second does try to shake thing up and i found it overall more enjoyable than the first.

cnet128

Banned
Gingitsune 8

Hiwako episode. Contained lots of the three friends together, which is my favourite thing about this show, so CAN'T COMPLAIN. And the driver secretary guy who was the other focus of the episode was really likable too. I could totally support pairing Hiwako with him.

Sugita President, on the other hand, was surprisingly assy. Seriously, who
tries to snatch a guy's phone
like that. He deserved that cold shoulder. I thought he seemed all right at the beginning of the episode too =/

Moral of the story: humans are weird.

Tenumi

Banned
Well with Doremi done, maybe we can finish Yes Precure 5 GoGo!

Sad thing is, by the time I get to the unfinished section, it'll probably be finished.

God, I'm slow at this. Started Heartcatch in September 2012. Over a year and I've still got 3.75 seasons left.

cajunator

Banned
Steins;Gate

Steins;Gate wasnt so much a tearjerker as it was just a solid sci fi /time travel series. Butterfly effect is always an awesome subject matter and it was really well executed.

Jarmel

Banned
The way that
Folken got killed
was contrived and just plain dumb.

lol

He did have it coming though so I couldn't complain too much.

Jesus Christ can anyone make an anime movie that looks this good anymore (besides Ghibli)? I mean god damn.

BONES if they try? I do wish we got more quality anime movies.

Quick question : Did Chamber's design remind anyone of Full Metal Panic's Arbalest?
FMP and Gargantia spoilers yo

And they both
get their bodies get wrecked too

Production IG working on FMP S3 confirmed.

Having had their release plans for the series leaked twice now despite never formally announcing them, it seems that the trailer leak yesterday (which, admittedly, was part of a product meant to go on sale next week) finally forced Funimation's hand into officially confirming that they've license rescued Eureka Seven.

Why they were holding back the announcement all this time is anybody's guess.

Well should be interesting to see the upscales from Funi. I wonder if they would use the Japanese masters or do the upscale on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom